• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Dax01 said:

Instead of going through the sword room, run across the window sil that runs along the outside towards the lower bridge. Completely skips all the top floor enemies, they just dont spawn (minus the camo elites).

Gui_PT said:
The Golden Elite with the FRG on the top floor of Sword Base?

Completely, 100% skippable
This man knows.

Once inside SB, if you run on the outer ledge towards the lower bridge, it will despawn all of the other enemies on the upper levels.

edit: beaten

Gui_PT

Well, I only know because I saw the guide on HBO :lol

But I might as well let others here know and save them some trouble

GhaleonEB

A couple snapshots from the LASO run Dax, Nutter and I did.

It took us 19 minutes to clear the Courtyard. Most attempts went like this.

Brave charge of the first Elite!

reach_14295676_Full.jpg

Elite laughs over our corpses.

reach_14295669_Full.jpg

Largest bottleneck was this encounter. We dealt with the dude on top of the building up front, with the Target Locator.

reach_14295679_Full.jpg

And then perhaps the greatest feat of impromptu coordination during team play I've ever seen. Our plan: Nutter distracts the Elites by shelling them from afar, while Dax does a drive-by drop off of myself at the back of the building to hit the switch and then bail out. It went like this. Click the image for video.

After we finally pull it off, the moment of horror as our Gauss Hog was not dropped off, but the two Ghosts were, was hilarious. Nutter's slow as molasses backpedal in the Wraith resulted in the most beat up but functional vehicle I've ever seen.

The whole run was fun as hell. Look forward to the next. (It was more fun for having not looked at the guide, I think.)

Odd thing, our game did not load to bungie.net. I checked the b.net profiles of everyone in our party, and it does not show the game we beat it on in our game history. I wanted to tally the deaths. :\

Tawpgun

I think it is more fun not to use the guide. Definitely. Anyway, 90 minutes of footage to fast forward here.... starting now.

Nice write-up, Ghal!

I hope Zayne can fix his internet, so we can try it, too. That is going to be a lot fun.

@Sai-Kun Have the weekly already?

Willeth

GhaleonEB said:
Our plan: Nutter distracts the Elites by shelling them from afar, while Dax does a drive-by drop off of myself at the back of the building to hit the switch and then bail out. It went like this.
Oh God, that's brilliant and hilarious.

O D I N

Looking forward to some eventual customs with HaloGAF. :)

What's the favorite gametype for customs these days? Granted, I know there's probably a bajillion, but figured I'd ask.

Lazslo

O D I N said:

What's the favorite gametype for customs these days? Granted, I know there's probably a bajillion, but figured I'd ask.
You need to pass the test first. You have to Beat Dax 1v1 with AR's only- First to 5 wins.

Sai-kun

Banned
O D I N said:

Nascar on Speed.

rofl. That was the most hilarious 15 minutes of my life. I was almost in tears that entire second game. It totally needs different vehicles, like a mongi :D

@HYPA - No I don't have it yet. Maybe this weekend with vhfive + another friend?

Sai-kun said:
Nascar on Speed.

rofl. That was the most hilarious 15 minutes of my life. I was almost in tears that entire second game. It totally needs different vehicles, like a mongi :D

@HYPA - No I don't have it yet. Maybe this weekend with vhfive + another friend?
Does Friday count as weekend?

Sai-kun said:
Nascar on Speed.

What was that gametype you made up called? I only remember flying around with a jetpack on a really crazy map and it was just total chaos. That was probably the funnest time I've had in a Custom game in Reach.

Tawpgun

A27 Tawpgun said:
Oh. My. God.

So yesterday me and two friends did our LASO run. It was relatively easy up until we had to activate the AA gun. That took us FOREVER. But a few good ghost splatters and it was all good.

The rest was relatively easy up until the GODDAMN FUEL ROD GOLDEN ELITE in the blown up room with all the rockets in it. It honestly felt like being trapped by those zealots in Winter Contigency again. We just COULD not down the guy without him shooting us to hell with fuel rods

Around 90 minutes into the entire run and we're starting to get desperate and trying crazy ideas. Then, all of a sudden, my friend tries to take down one of the camo elites with the rocket. The elite, of course, dodges and the rocket hits a box. The box goes flying through the air and SPLATTERS the fuel rod guy.

We cheered so hard and then mopped up the weak as well spec ops elites. I'm going to try and get a clip today, I think I still have a render minute left.

Damn. So I rendered what I thought was a good clip, and it turns out, for SOME reason, it wasn't the clip I filmed. Same LASO game, same time, it's just the camera angle was off and you can't see the guy get splattered.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14306353&player=Tawpgun

However, I did make a longer version here, but I'm out of render minutes so if anyone can render this for me, that'd be great.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14306496&player=Tawpgun

Lazslo said:
You need to pass the test first. You have to Beat Dax 1v1 with AR's only- First to 5 wins.
Yup. So far, nobody has been able to win against me.
GhaleonEB said:
And then perhaps the greatest feat of impromptu coordination during team play I've ever seen. Our plan: Nutter distracts the Elites by shelling them from afar, while Dax does a drive-by drop off of myself at the back of the building to hit the switch and then bail out. It went like this. Click the image for video.

Failure is always an option.

Odd thing, our game did not load to bungie.net. I checked the b.net profiles of everyone in our party, and it does not show the game we beat it on in our game history. I wanted to tally the deaths. :\
Hopefully it'll pop up later. I'm interested in that as well.

Man I can't wait to do my LASO run through, I'm thinking Wednesday afternoon.

Hopefully you can help me Tawpgun? On that note anyone else is welcome to kick some covenant ass with us.

Sai-kun

Banned
-Yeti said:
What was that gametype you made up called? I only remember flying around with a jetpack on a really crazy map and it was just total chaos. That was probably the funnest time I've had in a Custom game in Reach.

Haha, the gametype was called M.C. and the map was called Escher. I wanted to make it a series of just absolutely insane maps, but I never got around to making more. I think I messed up some settings because it was going a little slow, but it's even better with a full party.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
Our plan: Nutter distracts the Elites by shelling them from afar, while Dax does a drive-by drop off of myself at the back of the building to hit the switch and then bail out. It went like this.

So good.

O D I N said:
http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/my-body-is-ready.pn

... To lose... :-/[/QUOTE]
And to post stale images in the junior thread.

Welcome all juniors, may we get at least a few to stay awhile and mix things up a bit.

neoism

GhaleonEB said:
Indeed. The stealthy sprint through Nightfall will be a down beat from there, but Tip of the Spear....oh my. I'm looking forward to it.

Having the HUD is the way to go. I can't even imagine what that would have been if we didn't have that. This was both as fun and as brutal as I hoped it would be.

Currently fast forwarding to that moment. You know. :lol
what you can have the hud this time... ?

Tawpgun

squidhands said:
rendering...

anyone with a man and his boomstick is okay in my book.

Wow....

1. Thanks for the help.

2. I'm really sorry it was for nothing...

I think I know the reason why. On my screen I pulled the camera fairly far back. It wasn't pan cam or anything like that, normal camera. And apparently I guess I'm not allowed to make clips for that far away or something?

Because the camera went to the same position as my first one, so you can see a bit of the elite and the box flying toward him.

I don't suppose this is a known glitch? Urk?

PROTIP: view your clips in theater before rendering...

A27 Tawpgun said:
Wow....

1. Thanks for the help.

2. I'm really sorry it was for nothing...

I think I know the reason why. On my screen I pulled the camera fairly far back. It wasn't pan cam or anything like that, normal camera. And apparently I guess I'm not allowed to make clips for that far away or something?

Because the camera went to the same position as my first one, so you can see a bit of the elite and the box flying toward him.

I don't suppose this is a known glitch? Urk?

PROTIP: view your clips in theater before rendering...
I've made a few clips way out of maps, so that shouldn't be a problem.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
It's showing up now, but there's no way you guys finished in 13 minutes. HAX!
Yeah, two games are showing up: the first went for just a few minutes, and then we quit to pull Squall in. We played for those 13 minutes, and then he lagged out. We kept going from there (didn't back out to the lobby), but b.net only shows a record of the game until he lagged out.

I'm pretty sure I blew up Nutter at least eight times with frag grenade throws. I'm so used to the friendly fire turned off in Firefight, I'd just chuck one right next to him to "help" take out the Jackal he was pounding on. Turns out, he didn't appreciate that kind of help. Go figure.

neoism said:
what you can have the hud this time... ?
Correct. Selecting the Challenge from the menu puts you in the lobby with all skulls except for Blind turned on. The Bungie overloards had mercy. Personally, I thought it was much more fun this way.

I liked that it created a whole new set of problems to deal with. Like when we had Nutter in the Wraith that could only take another shot or two, and the two Ghosts by the AA gun could tag him if he so much as poked his head over the hill. So he lobbed mortars blind from behind it, while Dax and I played spotter. "A little to the left...now forward...."

*boom*

Decidedly old-school military tactics 500 years in the future.
Squall ASF said:
So sad panda that I lagged out, really wanted to play with you guys and seeing how the rest of your adventure panned out, makes me lament it all the more. Glad you guys completed it. I wasn't sure if my connection was at conflict with someone so didn't burden you guys by asking you to back out to lobby. Tried it by myself but lost patience in the courtyard. Kept getting it down to two elites but I just never had any ammo and god is Kat WORTHLESS. I came close once or twice but crazy plasma grenades would get me. I think if I horded some needler rounds I could get past it but I don't think it's as fun by yourself anyway.
That sucks dude. I want to go through the mission one more time so my daughter can get it, so any time this week (before her bed time) or over the weekend I'm down to try again.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, two games are showing up: the first went for just a few minutes, and then we quit to pull Squall in. We played for those 13 minutes, and then he lagged out. We kept going from there (didn't back out to the lobby), but b.net only shows a record of the game until he lagged out. .

So sad panda that I lagged out, really wanted to play with you guys and seeing how the rest of your adventure panned out, makes me lament it all the more. Glad you guys completed it. I wasn't sure if my connection was at conflict with someone so didn't burden you guys by asking you to back out to lobby. Tried it by myself but lost patience in the courtyard. Kept getting it down to two elites but I just never had any ammo and god is Kat WORTHLESS. I came close once or twice but crazy plasma grenades would get me. I think if I horded some needler rounds I could get past it but I don't think it's as fun by yourself anyway.

Untracked

Howdy HaloGAF, another stalker/Junior stopping by.

Started lurking you guys a couple of years ago, when I was really into Halo.
Loved Halo 2, 3, ODST and even grew to love Halo Wars after forcing myself to get all the Achievements for that EVA Avatar Helmet.

Played Reach quite a bit when it came out, got the gorgeous console + Legendary edition, but I've slowly fallen out of love with it over time.

I spent far too many hours in Forge World, until I was sick of the sight of it. Built some nice maps though.
Looking forward to whatever is coming next for Halo, I'll probably pick up the new map pack.

Tashi's Questions:
Tashi0106 said:
AR or BR?
Highest level in Halo 3 and which playlist?
Favorite Halo 2 map?
Favorite map on Halo series?
1. BR
2. 39 - Lone Wolves, which was brought crashing down to 20-something, in a drunken attempt at getting that damned Double Laser Kill achievement!
3. Headlong
4. Valhalla

GhaleonEB said:
That sucks dude. I want to go through the mission one more time so my daughter can get it, so any time this week (before her bed time) or over the weekend I'm down to try again.

That'd be cool, what timeframe? I have a feeling it will be on the weekend because she probably has an early bed time eh?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You know what really annoys me? It doesn't happen often but it happened to me yesterday and I got so fucking pissed. I was playing CTF on Countdown and I'm rushing in to the opponents base to grab their flag with rockets and a teammate. I spot a guy big door, shoot the rocket and the rocket kills me, and I betray my teammate. I got so fucking mad. That type of shit seems to happen to me all the time.

GhaleonEB

Squall ASF said:
That'd be cool, what timeframe? I have a feeling it will be on the weekend because she probably has an early bed time eh?
Yeah, we'd have to start around 6:30 PST to wrap up by 8:00, which is her bed time. But I'm not going to cut the game short to toss her in bed. If that doesn't work, we can do both later or earlier on the weekend.

Tashi, what is a "guy big door", I'm not all up to speed with MLG lingo.

Tashi0106 said:
You know what really annoys me? It doesn't happen often but it happened to me yesterday and I got so fucking pissed. I was playing CTF on Countdown and I'm rushing in to the opponents base to grab their flag with rockets and a teammate. I spot a guy big door, shoot the rocket and the rocket kills me, and I betray my teammate. I got so fucking mad. That type of shit seems to happen to me all the time.

"You know what grinds my gears?"

yeah I know what you mean, sniper betrayals are the worst.

Tawpgun

Blue Ninja said:
I've made a few clips way out of maps, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Then I don't know...

I thought the first clip might have been my error, maybe a recorded there by mistake or something. But to have that other one be in the same location and unmoving? It was definitely some weird glitch.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, we'd have to start around 6:30 PST to wrap up by 8:00, which is her bed time. But I'm not going to cut the game short to toss her in bed. If that doesn't work, we can do both later or earlier on the weekend.

"Big Door" is the default map callout. It's the large wall opposite the open side of the map.

TruHero

Banned
Sup, HaloGAF. :) I/my account was actually approved in the last batch of juniors, but I still mainly lurk.

Just wanted to say what's up and that I'm still enjoying Reach. In fact, I'd say it's the best FPS on consoles :D

Tashi

Steelyuhas said:
"Big Door" is the default map callout. It's the large wall opposite the open side of the map.

Right, specifically the door ways that lead into each base. My old team used to call it Rocket door because in the old MLG settings Rockets used to spawn out there for both Slayer and CTF but now they spawn in separate locations for each gametype. It easier to have call outs that work no matter what settings you're playing. That's one of the few default Bungie named call outs that's used. I think they really dropped the ball with that.

Tashi0106 said:
Right, specifically the door ways that lead into each base. My old team used to call it Rocket door because in the old MLG settings Rockets used to spawn out there for both Slayer and CTF but now they spawn in separate locations for each gametype. It easier to have call outs that work no matter what settings you're playing. That's one of the few default Bungie named call outs that's used. I think they really dropped the ball with that.

Halo 3 MLG or Halo Reach?

I have never been one for MLG but I do better in Reach.

Tashi0106 said:

On most of the maps, the callouts are just not specific enough.

GhaleonEB said:

Weekend would probably work better but I'll let you know if I'm free that early during the week. Ghaleon training daughter to go pro, playing LASO at her age.

Tashi

A27_StarWolf said:
Halo 3 MLG or Halo Reach?

I have never been one for MLG but I do better in Reach.

I'm talking about Countdown. So Reach.

On most of the maps, the callouts are just not specific enough.

I haven't really paid much attention to them (maybe that's one of the problems) but I don't think they need to be too specific. They just need to be short and make sense. "Our 3rd" "Their 3rd" "Shotty" "Shotty pit" "Bonfire" "suicide" "balcony" "main ramp" Ok some of those don't really make sense but you get the point lol

GhaleonEB

Squall ASF said:
Weekend would probably work better but I'll let you know if I'm free that early during the week. Ghaleon training daughter to go pro, playing LASO at her age.
She got the Winter Contingency one, too. :p

Thanks Tashi.

Tashi0106 said:
I'm talking about Countdown. So Reach.

I haven't really paid much attention to them (maybe that's one of the problems) but I don't think they need to be too specific. They just need to be short and make sense. "Our 3rd" "Their 3rd" "Shotty" "Shotty pit" "Bonfire" "suicide" "balcony" "main ramp" Ok some of those don't really make sense but you get the point lol

Countdown MLG flag seems to lay better than most of the Bungie default game types on countdown.

Tashi0106 said:

Yeah I get what you are saying. "suicide" lol.

I guess it depends on the map really. A map like Powerhouse has good callouts, clearly defined areas or buildings with callouts that make sense and are easy to say in a game. A map like Zealot however, has awful callouts. There is like 3 total callouts for the main upper circle. The entire curved hallways are just called "Red Hallway" and "Blue Hallway", which is very helpful in-game.

Also, the fact that the callouts disappear when the player dies makes them hard for players to learn them.

Top Bottom