• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

I think they got the scale of Hemmorage all wrong. That and the game mechanics cause it to play in a totally different way. Hell even player behaviour (probably as a cause of this) on it has changed. It was so much more interesting when people tried to hold the hill in the middle back in the Halo 1 days. Hemmorage depending on the players can be awful.

Striker 5 shot kill and bloom will make it play extremely differently from Halo 1/2/3 - I personally think the classic maps should just be interjected into all of matchmaking rather than being put in theyre own corner, where theyre not going to really hit expectations anyway. Those maps are easily good enough to feature in Slayer/ Objective/ BTB etc.

wwm0nkey

bobs99 ... said:
I think they got the scale of Hemmorage all wrong. That and the game mechanics cause it to play in a totally different way. Hell even player behaviour (probably as a cause of this) on it has changed. It was so much more interesting when people tried to hold the hill in the middle back in the Halo 1 days. Hemmorage depending on the players can be awful.

Striker 5 shot kill and bloom will make it play extremely differently from Halo 1/2/3 - I personally think the classic maps should just be interjected into all of matchmaking rather than being put in theyre own corner, where theyre not going to really hit expectations anyway. Those maps are easily good enough to feature in Slayer/ Objective/ BTB etc.
You know I kind of want to get a timer and see how long it takes to cross the map on foot on each game, because on Reach it feels like it takes FOREVER to get to the other side where as on Halo 2 it was just a tiny walk.

wwm0nkey said:
You know I kind of want to get a timer and see how long it takes to cross the map on foot on each game, because on Reach it feels like it takes FOREVER to get to the other side where as on Halo 2 it was just a tiny walk.

I played classic flag in the BTB playlist so you know :p

zumphry

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
I suggested this during customs yesterday but I think I was drowned out by the laughter from that Warthog game. Next customs lets just try out the rumored "Classic" settings with some ForgeWorld remakes. Like good ones (lol).

Have I whored out this thread/first posts (enough) yet?

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=49975558&postRepeater1-p=1

wwm0nkey said:

If I remember right when I did something like this 2 years or so ago, Blood Gulch was just a few seconds "bigger" than Coagulation, with Valhalla being 25 or so "smaller". Then again, I went around the edges and not from side to side, and it's not entirely scientific, but still.

Hemmorhage does seem way too big compared to BG or Coagulation, probably one of the many reasons I don't like it like I should.

Willeth

UQhRhl.jpg

wwm0nkey

ZayneH said:
If I remember right when I did something like this 2 years or so ago, Blood Gulch was just a few seconds "bigger" than Coagulation, with Valhalla being 25 or so "smaller". Then again, I went around the edges and not from side to side, and it's not entirely scientific, but still.

Hemmorhage does seem way too big compared to BG or Coagulation, probably one of the many reasons I don't like it like I should.
I would really like to know if that is because movement is slower or if it is just because the map is badly scaled.

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
hoppy shit i was playing halo 2 vista at a friends house
1920x1080
anti-aliasing
live
so good
Told ya :)
Edit: Oh and 60 FPS

I demand more gaffers get it and we shall start up a GAF server.

zumphry

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
I would really like to know if that is because movement is slower or if it is just because the map is badly scaled.

I've heard that it's bigger due to Armor Abilities, but I don't think Bungie's said anything official. :/

Karl2177

wwm0nkey said:
Told ya :)
Edit: Oh and 60 FPS

I play it occasionally. My wired controller just died, so I may not be on for a while, unless I play K&M.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
There was a nice Hang 'Em High map on the Classic playlist Youtube page I liked too. They can easily use that, the Warlock map, and many more if tested for regular playlists. I don't see why not, since The Cage is a FW map and it's included, despite being disliked by many players. Would it hurt to try them in the Community playlist? I wouldn't think...

wwm0nkey said:
You're also a smaller Spartan, though that shouldn't really be that big of a deal. I personally thought that the original Blood Gulch took a bit to traverse on foot--not as much as Hemorrhage, but it was still there.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
1. The lighting on Hemorrhage pisses me the hell off. The cliffside is supposed to be baked in sunlight, NOT sitting in the shade. The first time i played the map i was dumbstruck. I loved that sun-baked rock.

2. 4v4 hemorrhage is a joke. I think i had to sit through it two or three times before quitting objective just to avoid that happening.

Plywood said:
Who should I punch in the teeth for Hemorrhage in Team Objective?

Not only is the fact that it's in that playlist puzzling in itself, but everytime it comes up everyone votes for it, which I find to just be shocking.

big ander

I don't post here anymore, but I felt it was my civic duty to warn all new juniors:
don't trust ZayneH. He's a total hipster. He'll want to play the hipsterest custom games.

Steelyuhas said:
Not only is the fact that it's in that playlist puzzling in itself, but everytime it comes up everyone votes for it, which I find to just be shocking.
Because someone always has to open their trap and cry "NO NOT HEMORRHAGE" to which the other team responds by voting for Hemorrhage. That's my experience anyways.

Recarpo

wwm0nkey said:

Seeing you talk about the last couple days has given me an itch to play halo 2 again. Just picked it up for $18 on amazon. Hope I can find my wired controller now...

GhaleonEB

With the right generator/map combo, Crash Site in Score Attack is like, the greatest thing ever.

Two questions shamefully neglected during the jr. rush. Understandable, given the multiplayer focus of the sustained community. But these are important:

Firefight, Multiplayer, or Campaign?

and,

Favorite Campaign mission from each game, and overall.

Me:

Firefight.

Halo 1: Truth and Reconciliation.

Halo 2: Outskirts/Metropolis

Halo 3: The Storm

ODST: Tayari Plaza

Reach: Tip of the Spear

Overall: The Storm

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
GhaleonEB said:

and,

Multiplayer hands down. I LOVE firefight, and Campaign will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart, but Multiplayer is just the easiest and most satisfying for me. The Lag in firefight makes it extremely hard to play with friends, and Campaign missions i only find fun when playing with my Brother. He introduced me to CE, and we spent countless hours every night running through the missions.

And to be honest, i almost want to challenge Multiplayer with Forge/Custom games, but that can be seen as multiplayer at the same time. Building environments and either helping people craft them into beautiful pieces of art or getting awesome feedback and seeing others enjoying your map... it's just priceless.

As for missions;
Halo: CE- Assault on the Control Room
Halo 2- Outskirts/Metropolis [we were lucky if we got the rock]
Halo 3- Tsavo Highway
Halo 3: ODST- NMPD HQ
Halo: Reach- The Pillar of Autumn. Ending warmed my heart. Very close to siding with Long night of Solace.
Overall; Two Betrayals- It was my first level of Halo ever played. It was amazing, and it got me hooked.

GhaleonEB said:
With the right generator/map combo, Crash Site in Score Attack is like, the greatest thing ever.

Two questions shamefully neglected during the jr. rush. Understandable, given the multiplayer focus of the sustained community. But these are important:

and,

Fair enough. Speaking of which, care to enlighten the rest of us on what generator map combos are great for crash site?

Multiplayer is where I spend most of my time, but I like it all. Kind of wish I played more Firefight than I do. I really enjoy it everytime I play.

Halo CE: The Silent Cartographer or Assault on the Control Room
Halo 3: The Ark
ODST: Mombasa Streets (HUB world)- The night time exploration of the city as the Rookie was hands down my favorite part of ODST. The atmosphere was just perfect.
Reach: Long Night of Solace with New Alexandria worth a mention as well.

Overall: Long Night of Solace. Long mission, pivotal point in the campaign, jaw dropping visuals/art direction, great blend of firefights and the very fun space combat. Great end to the mission.

ZayneH said:
...but be prepared for "build-a-block" maps only because that's what ForgeGAF tests.

and horrible hosting because the guy who does it is a total douche from what I've heard
I heard the host had allowed
drunken
players to join the game.

GhaleonEB said:

and,

Me:

Firefight.

Firefight.
Halo 1: The Silent Cartographer
Halo 2: Delta Halo
Halo 3: The Covenant
ODST: Uplift Reserve
Reach: Long Night Of Solace

Overall: The Covenant.

blamite

Ghaleon's questions:

I mainly play multiplayer, but FF Arcade and Score Attack are slowly bringine me into more and more firefight. I think that a big part of the reason I don't play more Firefight is the maps, specifically the visual themes of them. They're all just made up of such dull, boring colors, that I just don't find them interesting to be in. So much dull green, boring white and gray buildings, and subdued skyboxes make all the maps feel really repetitive to me. I really liked the look of ODST's maps, particularly the nighttime maps with the VISR. For the same reason, Reach's campaign hasn't been able to keep me coming back like previous games.

Campaign missions:
Halo 1: A tie between Truth and Reconciliation and Assault on the Control Room.
Halo 2: Quarantine Zone/Sacred Icon.
Halo 3: The Covenant.
ODST: Tied between NMPD HQ and Tayari Plaza.
Reach: Long Night of Solace.
All Time: Assault on the Control Room.

Recarpo

GhaleonEB said:

Firefight.
H1: Truth and Reconciliation
H2: Outskirts
H3: The Covenant
Can't remember all the names of the levels of odst, have to replay that soon.
Reach: Long night of Solace
Overall: Long night of solace

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm on a new team for MLG, things are going really well. They just asked if by Friday I'll know whether or not I can make it to the first event in the first week of April, in Dallas. I already know the answer though, I won't be able to make it. It's just a few hundred dollars I can't drop on an MLG event right now. :( There has to be an event this year in NYC. It would be a different story.

Tunavi

Banned
My experience (edit) with matchmaking is hit or miss, its either a blast or so frustrating that I can't enjoy it (most of the time its a blast though).
Firefight is consistently fun, but I have to give it to multiplayer.

Halo 1: Silent Cartographer

Halo 2: Metropolis

Halo 3: The Covenant

ODST: Mombasa Streets if that counts, if not; Coastal Highway

Reach: New Alexandria

Overall: Mombasa Streets. I don't understand the bad rap, ODST is my favorite :)

Kujo

Theatre Mode

Halo 1: The Library
Halo 2: Quarantine Zone
Halo 3: Cortana
ODST: Credits
Reach: The Package (Rally Point B)

Overall: Sanctuary Fortress (Metroid Prime 2)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ghaleon I would answer your questions but I don't really remember any of the mission names and couldn't begin to rank them because I play through the campaigns so rarely. If you combine all the times I've beaten a Halo series campaign, start to finish, it probably wouldn't hit double digits.

Tunavi

Banned
Mojo said:
Theatre Mode

Halo 1: The Library
Halo 2: Quarantine Zone
Halo 3: Cortana
ODST: Credits
Reach: The Package (Rally Point B)

Overall: Sanctuary Fortress (Metroid Prime 2)

At first I was like :|
but then I lol'd

GhaleonEB said:

and,

Me:

Firefight.

I absolutely love ODST's Firefight mode. If Reach's Firefight had the same skull progression as ODST (minus Black Eye), it would be the penultimate of awesome.

As for campaign missions:
Halo 1: The Silent Cartographer/Two Betrayals. I loved being able to circle the island in TSC. I felt so free. And while AOTCR was technically better than TB, the canyon battles on TB are wicked fun in co-op.
Halo 2: Delta Halo/Regret. The throne room in Regret felt like a precursor to Firefight, because the enemies would keep respawning if you didn't kill Regret.
Halo 3: The Covenant. Teaming up with the Flood, even momentarily, is one of my favorite moments in the series.
ODST: Uplift Reserve
Reach: Probably Long Night of Solace or Nightfall.
Overall: The Silent Cartographer. It's what led me to my Halo fanaticism.

Storywise: 2>1>ODST>Reach>3. This is definitely not set in stone. I can't make up my mind.
Campaign enjoyment: Reach>1>ODST/3>2.

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
Halo 2: Delta Halo/Regret. The throne room in Regret felt like a precursor to Firefight, because the enemies would keep respawning if you didn't kill Regret.
Reach: Probably Long Night of Solace

Funny you mention this because I after you storm the beach in LNoS and arrive at the door of the launch facility, you can stay outside and both Covenant and human reinforcements will fly in repeatedly

O D I N

GhaleonEB said:
Firefight, Multiplayer, or Campaign? I'm a big fan of Firefight, solo usually but love a good team. I enjoy multiplayer, but prefer to play with friends.

and,

Halo 1: The Library. Yes, I'm a masochist, and enjoy a good legendary co-op run with my buddy/ies. Almost a tradition of sorts for us. THIS mission was how I got into Halo.

Halo 2: The first 2-3 levels. I just really enjoyed the presentation of the arrival of the Covenant, and defending your turf.

Halo 3: The Covenant. Long level. I'm a sucker for invasion missions.

ODST: This is a toughie, but I'd have to go with Romeo's mission, or the mission with Buck where you're trying to evacuate everyone (before the last level).

Reach: Halo Fox. :p Otherwise,
Nightfall and Pillar of Autumn.

Overall: The Library. It's an endurance run, through and through, and playing co-op with my buddy was always the best.

Answers in quote.

Sai-kun

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

and,

Me:

Firefight.

Oooh :D

Multiplayer

Halo 1: Assault on the Control Room

Halo 2: Delta Halo/Regret