• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Tashi0106 said:
Speaking of MLG...V3 released!! I've been playing them for a little while, lets get these bad boys in the playlist now.

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/mlg/halo-reach-v3-settings/

Bnet fileshare

Some things to take note of. 2 New maps! Nexus and Element. They might be the ones I played but under a different name. I'm not sure.

Also, King of the Hill apparently didn't make it passed the testing phase.

5 flag no longer has touch return. There is a 3 second return time much like Halo 3. However you have to basically sit on the flag for it to return and can't do it from a few feet away like in Halo 3.

Reflection is out. 1 Flag is out. Ball gametypes are out. I'm kind of happy they dropped Bomb on Countdown, I wasn't really a fan.

Oh man, I'm excited to have a finalized set of 11 gametypes. I wonder if these maps are different from the ones I've played. I'm excited either way. V3 is the real deal now. I just wish I could make it to Dallas with my team :(((((((

Element was formerly known as Affinity (It is similar to Warlock).

Problem I have with the 11 gametype format for MLG is there is WAY too much slayer.

Not replacing Sanctuary with a much better one is a crime.

I do like that Camo is in V3, and no health recharge.

Hey You

Can anyone DL that GT video and throw it up on Youtube? That video player doesn't agree with my crappy computer and I don't feel like fixing the problems with my account.

Yes, I'm a lazy son of a bitch.

O D I N said:
This.

I can't remember the last time I played Neutral Bomb in ANY playlist. :(
It pops up frequently in Team Objective (Its on Hemmorhage though) and BTB usually on Pinnacle (blah) or Paradiso.

Kuroyume said:
I wish all the armor abilities destroyed vehicles.

How awesome would it be to sprint head on into a oncoming warthog and have it blow up?

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Easter eggs, more Reach surprises and more DLC to come? Hype!
"There may be some other things you find in there over the months."

Unless it's time-locked, players will probably find it sooner. But pretty neat that there's seemingly some extra stuff/easter eggs packed in there.

Really looking forward to Highlands and the FF map. Both look to be exactly what I was hoping for from both a BTB and FF map, and fill in spaces that needed filling in.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devin Olsen said:
What was wrong with Reflection?

It was used out of desperation. There's better stuff out there.

Yesss Affinity, that's the name. It does play similar to Warlock, however I only played King on it and not Slayer. That will surely be intense.

Also there are 5 slayer and 6 objective game types. It's always been like that. It's a good mix I think.

Barrow Roll said:
To everyone saying "retreat" or "don't chase down" the Armor Locker, this is exactly why everyone says it slows gameplay to a crawl.
Sure beats the 'dear in the headlights' mentality ye guys live with :p

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
You just like pie in general.
I'm generally not a pie fan, but this charts movement is one I can get behind. Gonna run some on the Challenges now that February is up. Keep the chart train rolling.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
I'm generally not a pie fan, but this charts movement is one I can get behind. Gonna run some on the Challenges now that February is up. Keep the chart train rolling.

On that note, how is cheese cake called cake and not pie.

It's clearly a pie.

From now on, it's called Cheese pie.

Ghaleon, next mission is to make a delicious marble cheese pie, then tweet about it, and how awesome it is. Then tweet the instructions, because I don't have a clue how to make cheese pie.

Barrow Roll said:
To everyone saying "retreat" or "don't chase down" the Armor Locker, this is exactly why everyone says it slows gameplay to a crawl.

Yep, they also ignore everything else the AA does, and how it gets exponentially worse, but I'm tiring of sounding like a broken record.

It's going to be a shame when the one game that was on track to catch up to my EQ2 time is overtaken by Gears 2.

Tashi0106 said:
It was used out of desperation. There's better stuff out there.

Yesss Affinity, that's the name. It does play similar to Warlock, however I only played King on it and not Slayer. That will surely be intense.

Also there are 5 slayer and 6 objective game types. It's always been like that. It's a good mix I think.

Yeah I know, just for me personally think that is too much slayer. Objective gametypes are where MLG's settings shine.

Alienshogun said:

It's clearly a pie.

If a cake is made with ice cream, is it still a cake, or is it just a shaped mass of ice cream?

Edit: Can I has 343 ARG in my DLC plz?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

Let's chartz this shitz upz, mang. Or something.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:

It's clearly a pie.

Ghaleon, next mission is to make a delicious marble cheese pie, then tweet about it, and how awesome it is. Then tweet the instructions, because I don't have a clue how to make cheese pie.
Sorry, next on the agenda is peanut caramels (caramel with salted peanuts mixed in; gonna dip half the batch in melted chocolate).

We have a batch of rock candy going right now, too, starting to crystallize. The week after, I'm leaning toward either fudge or nut rolls (creme fondant center, dipped in caramel, covered in nuts) or nougat.

For Easter, I'm doing homemade marshmallow eggs covered in chocolate, and a batch of flower suckers.

Shit. Now I'm hungry again. :\

Hydranockz said:
Sure beats the 'dear in the headlights' mentality ye guys live with :p
All I see is that pro-Armor Lock guys seem to have this mentality that the game should be forgiving, that there should always be multiple ways of combating different things.

If you're out in the open and getting destroyed by a vehicle then stop fuckin around out in the open. Regroup with your teammates, grab an anti-vehicle weapon, grab your own vehicle. If you're going out for a stroll in the middle of Hemorrhage and a Ghost runs you down then as far as I'm concerned you deserved it. Vehicles should overpower regular infantry, that's why it's fun to be in a vehicle. That's why vehicle centric maps almost always give both teams vehicles to combat each other. In our point of view, we don't agree that vehicles should be more cautious when running people down, infantry should be more cautious about getting run over. Having a "get out of jail free card" when you fucked up is ridiculous.

And that's only touching on why it hampers vehicle combat, which is what I assume you were speaking of when using the deer metaphor.

Tashi

Steelyuhas said:
Element was formerly known as Affinity (It is similar to Warlock).

Problem I have with the 11 gametype format for MLG is there is WAY too much slayer.

Not replacing Sanctuary with a much better one is a crime.

I do like that Camo is in V3, and no health recharge.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I'm in love with MLG's Sanctuary.

Also, not a fan of Camo. In Reach when you have Camo you become more visible. If you don't move you're invisible. I'm not crazy about that. Overshield should be on Zealot as well.

edit: Also Urk, any word on when the MLG playlist will be updated with v3? I'm hoping soon.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
Sorry, next on the agenda is peanut caramels (caramel with salted peanuts mixed in; gonna dip half the batch in melted chocolate).

We have a batch of rock candy going right now, too, starting to crystallize. The week after, I'm leaning toward either fudge or nut rolls (creme fondant center, dipped in caramel, covered in nuts) or nougat.

For Easter, I'm doing homemade marshmallow eggs covered in chocolate, and a batch of flower suckers.

Shit. Now I'm hungry again. :\

Haha, your twitter desert escapades entertain me. Didn't it all start with toffee?

Hitmonchan107 said:
If a cake is made with ice cream, is it still a cake, or is it just a shaped mass of ice cream?

Don't let those fuckers fool you, that shit's just ice cream.

O D I N

Hitmonchan107 said:

The cake is a lie?

Ghal, that sounds delicious. Now I need some chocolate. >.>

Do you make that from scratch or are you a chef of sorts?

Tashi0106 said:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I'm in love with MLG's Sanctuary.

Also, not a fan of Camo. In Reach when you have Camo you become more visible. If you don't move you're invisible. I'm not crazy about that. Overshield should be on Zealot as well.

edit: Also Urk, any word on when the MLG playlist will be updated with v3? I'm hoping soon.

Oh Tashi my friend, the MLG Sanctuary is good, but there is a significantly better one out there. This Sanctuary was submitted to MLG. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=12397467&player=Mac xL

Also, some gameplay from Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVl3kewa3c&feature=player_embedded

The most important gameplay thing about this version that virtually no Sanctuary remakes for Reach (Asylum or any community remakes) have included is that car bridge is actually higher than snipe bridge.

As for the playlist, Jeremiah posted this earlier:
Most likely in the next major update. They were not ready in time for the March update.

Also, I thought Zealot was going to have an OS in the basement for v3. It was certainly in there on the test versions.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
Haha, your twitter desert escapades entertain me. Didn't it all start with toffee?
Yeah, peanut brittle. I did two batches, then butter toffee. Since then I've done salt water taffy (vanilla, orange and strawberry), caramels, nougat (subsequently dipped in caramel) and this past weekend ribbon candy (lemon and strawberry). Sunday was stove top caramel corn with peanuts.

I had this epiphany moment a few months ago, looking at my kids' Christmas candy and seeing how much artificial crap was in it. And also thinking about how I wanted to start a hobby where I made something, not just played, this year. And bam. I get to feed our sweet tooths with stuff made from ingredients I can pronounce, and have fun creating stuff at the same time. Though at the very sensible request of my wife, I only do one batch of treats per week. We can't eat it all so it mostly goes to friends and neighbors.

I've been taking pictures of it all with the intent to start up a blog about candy making, but haven't gotten that far yet. Here's the peanut brittle, and this was a batch of vanilla taffy. Suckers here, and the toffee.

(And now you're hungry too. :p)

So, um, I'm going to play some Firefight. :lol

ElRenoRaven

For the Juniors trying to fight the good fight I have some advice. Don't. The haters are gonna hate and there is nothing you can do about it. Eventually you'll learn that this thread really doesn't have anything for you except constant bitching about armorlock and bloom. You'll either get jaded by it and join in the constant complaining or you'll simply cease visiting very often like some of us have.

Once you learn to scan it once every day or so for news you'll find you enjoy it more.

Tashi

Steelyuhas said:
Oh Tashi my friend, the MLG Sanctuary is good, but there is a significantly better one out there. This Sanctuary was submitted to MLG. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=12397467&player=Mac xL

Also, some gameplay from Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVl3kewa3c&feature=player_embedded

The most important gameplay thing about this version that virtually no Sanctuary remakes for Reach (Asylum or any community remakes) have included is that car bridge is actually higher than snipe bridge.

As for the playlist, Jeremiah posted this earlier:

Also, I thought Zealot was going to have an OS in the basement for v3. It was certainly in there on the test versions.

Looks good but I'd have to play it to see what makes it "significantly better".

Was OS removed then?

So we're looking at April for v3 in matchmaking?? That is such a fuckin bummer. Damn.

Tashi0106 said:
Looks good but I'd have to play it to see what makes it "significantly better".

Was OS removed then?

So we're looking at April for v3 in matchmaking?? That is such a fuckin bummer. Damn.

I guess OS was removed, not sure.

For me, elevated car alone makes the map better than the other one for me, but it also sports better Ring 3 and Ring 2, and being on the Quarry helps with orientation and just to look better aesthetically. Being on grass also allows for split-screen framerate to be better than the other version.

Tashi

Steelyuhas said:
I guess OS was removed, not sure.

For me, elevated car alone makes the map better than the other one for me, but it also sports better Ring 3 and Ring 2, and being on the Quarry helps with orientation and just to look better aesthetically. Being on grass also allows for split-screen framerate to be better than the other version.

Oh I didn't know that. That's cool. Maybe MLG will pick up this version...

Blueblur1

Till this day I wish the Plasma Launcher wasn't garbage like it is now and I was the Laser Rifle - whatever it's called - was actually a little stronger. As a replacement for the Sniper, it blows.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Blueblur1 said:
Till this day I wish the Plasma Launcher wasn't garbage like it is now and I was the Laser Rifle - whatever it's called - was actually a little stronger. As a replacement for the Sniper, it blows.
Beam Rifle, and I liked the Beam Rifle more than the Sniper Rifle and them gimping the god-tier Beta Launcher was disappointing.

The beta beam rifle was one scary son of a bitch. I still have nightmares from the buzzsaw roar of that thing.

And yeah, I do kindof miss it.

Butane123

I loved the beta plasma launcher so much it was my top killing weapon.... seriously. I needed some sort of nurf.

I wish the Plasma Repeater and Focus Rifle stayed the same, though.

wwm0nkey

1219855430_Covenant_Beam_Rifle.jpg

Why did it have to go :(

blamite

Blueblur1 said:
I do miss beta Sword Base's ridiculous Plasma Launcher, but I've never really had a problem with the Focus Rifle. It's only on, what two maps? But every time I pick it up on Powerhouse I'm able to get at least a few kills with it, and take down a few guys' shields for my teammates. It's not the most useful weapon ever, but I think it's power level is just about perfect. The furthest I'd go is to lengthen it time it takes to overheat by about .75 of a second.

wwm0nkey said:
Why did it have to go :(
In terms of arming the covenant with a non-instakill weapon for higher difficulty campaign play I think the replacement is genius. I can see how people would want the old one back for multiplayer though.

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
In terms of arming the covenant with a non-instakill weapon for higher difficulty campaign play I think the replacement is genius. I can see how people would want the old one back for multiplayer though.
Agree. Though since it was so duplicative of the sniper rifle, I don't miss it all that much, but I do love not getting headshot on Legendary.

Limited was packed mostly good-natured fools tonight, so my amusing Firefight highlight of the evening came in the cool down game of Fiesta Attack.

I was feeling all good about hitting the 400 vehicle kill commendation mark, only to see the next step jump to 2500. That's....a lot of vehicles. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
Nice clip Ghal. But I didn't know what the hell Fiesta Attack was so I figured I'd hop in and give it a test run. Insanity and wonderment ensued. So I guess I have a new game mode to fall in love with :)

First, I had a pack of reinforcements that arrived in the form of about a dozen plasma rifles that just fell from the sky, in formation no less. No elites holding them mind you - just a random plop of naked weaponry. Stunned by this phenomena I almost missed the fact that a dropship was zeroing right in on my position - it unloaded its pack of elites right onto a plasma coil frying a few while sending their scout toppling over the hills.

Posted here with a few gratuitous overkills (49 seconds if anybody's in a rendering mood)
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14606399&player=NullPointer256

I'm starting to think I attract strange behavior.

Edit: Thank you mystery renderer! I hope the first overkills weren't too much. I had to provide, ya know, context for the scene. Yep.

Gui_PT

Botolf said:
Because it's fucking rage-inducing in campaign. The Focus Rifle is better in every way.

It's good it's not in the Campaign, but why not make it a Multiplayer weapon only?

I mean, the plasma rifle is.

What do Elites have to fight against a weapon that kills with 1 hit(sniper)?

Nothing. And that's really unfair.

wwm0nkey

Gui_PT said:
It's good it's not in the Campaign, but why not make it a Multiplayer weapon only?

I mean, the plasma rifle is.

What do Elites have to fight against a weapon that kills with 1 hit(sniper)?

Nothing. And that's really unfair.
pretty much

Sibylus

Banned
Gui_PT said:
Another weapon to make art assets for, and another weapon to balance. Game development is almost never about having your cake and eating it too, you can't appease everyone and throw everything in. If you fail to learn that, you make Duke Nukem Forever :p

And imo, there isn't any need whatsoever to give both sides equivalencies for every weapon. There's room for a different sort of long-range tracking Sniper as embodied in the Focus Rifle, the Covenant stable doesn't need the equivalent of a palette swap of the Human Sniper. Could it be stronger? Sure, there might be merit there, but I don't think bringing back the Beam Rifle is a step forward. The Focus Rifle is a unique weapon that deserves the spot more, and uniqueness is the sort of thing that's good to trigger divergence. Taking it out in favour of the Beam Rifle, that's converging backward to fewer unique weapon roles.

Gui_PT

Botolf said:
Another weapon to make art assets for, and another weapon to balance.
Wait, they have time to make a plasma repeater so the plasma rifle can be campaign only but they don't have time to include a weapon that has existed since H2? Which honestly wouldn't take long to re-model o re-balance it since only slight tweaks would be necessary.

Botolf said:
And imo, there isn't any need whatsoever to give both sides equivalencies for every weapon. There's room for a different sort of long-range tracking Sniper as embodied in the Focus Rifle, the Covenant stable doesn't need the equivalent of a palette swap of the Human Sniper. Could it be stronger? Sure, there might be merit there, but I don't think bringing back the Beam Rifle is a step forward. The Focus Rifle is a unique weapon that deserves the spot more, and uniqueness is the sort of thing that's good to trigger divergence. Taking it out in favour of the Beam Rifle, that's converging backward to fewer unique weapon roles.

Can't you have both? Variety AND balanced weapons?

Do you usually play Spartan vs Elite games? It turns into bullshit a few minutes in because the spartans get fast spawning snipers and elites get a portable microwave.

I like the fusion rifle and all, variety is nice. But balance is more important.

krakov

I think the Elite weaponry is really weak in Reach, which makes Elite Slayer a bore. You pretty much have the best weapons at spawn already with exception for sword/hammer. The facemelter is decent but not really a power weapon in the same way the sniper is, same with the plasma launcher, which I'd say is borderline useless most of the time. Both were fun in the beta, if unbalanced, not sure I can tell.

Trueskill really works wonders in this game.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=503663117&player=italobody

And the game after that.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=503673613&player=italobody

Botolf said:
Because it's fucking rage-inducing in campaign. The Focus Rifle is better in every way.
I was going to post a video of Sniper Alley on Legendary, but it seems even Youtube fuckin' hates Jackal Snipers.

That said, I'm not really sure the Focus Rifle offers a decent alternative for multiplayer. The suggestions of making it a multiplayer-only weapon aren't that crazy.

Striker

Tashi0106 said:
It was used out of desperation. There's better stuff out there..
I'm mucn more fond of Reflection than maps like Zealot and Countdown. I actually like Zealot flag, even though randoms never know how to coordinator in Objective. But Countdown is rather meh, and just generally hasn't been too thrilling. I guess this is just for MLG purpose, because otherwise, overall Reflection has better flow going on for it.

Hey You said:
It pops up frequently in Team Objective (Its on Hemmorhage though) and BTB usually on Pinnacle (blah) or Paradiso.
Assault is in Team Objective and MLG, but it is NOT in BTB. Yet, we get million doses of Headhunter!

I've seen most Bomb games on Hemorrhage, Asylum, Reflection, Zealot, and Pinnacle.

I think the best maps overall for CTF/Bomb, though, are Anchor 9 and Tempest. There seems to be more variety among the one-side game modes in Reach than we previously had in Halo 3. I just wish Bungie hadn't made Powerhouse so weird in terms of flag placement.

Top Bottom