• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Squall ASF said:
I noticed that, I was wondering why you were arguing with me that it fits in MT, then.
It's a halfway house. I don't want to always live at my parents house, but if I leave to early I might not be able to sustain my well being but if I wait it out, I can get a nice crib :p Hydranologies don't have to be so glum :p

I apologise if I ruffled a few feathers. I really see the points a lot of you are making but if we all sat here and agreed with each other (not that I don't agree with ye even), we would lose some of the spice of life :p I didn't want to anger ye, I just wanted ye to see that there were other sides to things. A bit of perspective to further identify ones own opinions with.

KevinRo said:
Doesn't make sense that you can't reload when you sprint but you can do everything else while you Jetpack.

Wait, if they removed your ability to shoot that would mean Mandalorians > Spartans? I can't agree with this.

HiredN00bs said:
I wasn't on HaloGAF before the last playlist update, but Rocket Race was in MT before, how is Rocket Hog Race any worse?
It wasn't Hogs and the 3rd player is a bit pointless... Barely 180 degree vision sucks... plus I can't warm to the idea that the GL is often really slow when firing ahead of you.

Hydranockz said:
It's a halfway house. I don't want to always live at my parents house, but if I leave to early I might not be able to sustain my well being but if I wait it out, I can get a nice crib :p Hydranologies don't have to be so glum :p

I apologise if I ruffled a few feathers. I really see the points a lot of you are making but if we all sat here and agreed with each other (not that I don't agree with ye even), we would lose some of the spice of life :p I didn't want to anger ye, I just wanted ye to see that there were other sides to things. A bit of perspective to further identify ones own opinions with.

No worries, I wasn't actually mad, just felt incredulous at the notion that it belonged and didn't need it's own playlist. You said it belonged and the junior said it didn't need the playlist so perhaps I meshed you together ;)

HiredN00bs said:
I wasn't on HaloGAF before the last playlist update, but Rocket Race was in MT before, how is Rocket Hog Race any worse?

Because people actually vote for it now. It was said from the begining that it needed it's own playlist, both from people that wanted to play it but couldn't get the voting power, and by those that got stuck playing it once in a while who hated it. It was just a brief comment here or there because it wasn't voted for overly often but ever since this update, it's voted for like crazy. I believe it's because of the turret, less skill involved in spamming the rocket turret into larger targets.

KevinRo

Bregmann Roche said:
Wait, if they removed your ability to shoot that would mean Mandalorians > Spartans? I can't agree with this.

Why did I google that.

My point is allow reloading while sprinting or none at all while jetpacking to be fair.

Every ability has a downside while trying to shoot during use. Why can you shoot while jetpacking? Just doesn't make sense. I realize these abilities aren't classes and shouldn't be treated as so, but when they dont make sense (like not being able to reload while sprinting?) what the fuck?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
KevinRo said:
Why did I google that.

My point is allow reloading while sprinting or none at all while jetpacking to be fair.

Every ability has a downside while trying to shoot during use. Why can you shoot while jetpacking? Just doesn't make sense. I realize these abilities aren't classes and shouldn't be treated as so, but when they dont make sense (like not being able to reload while sprinting?) what the fuck?

SMH, nerd card revoked.

I enjoy Rocket Race and Rocket Hog Race, and I've always been a proponent of a dedicated Rocket Race list ever since it was removed from Halo 3 matchmaking (my last ban from Bungie.net was on this matter and because I told Shishka to "get [his] head out of [his] ass").

RR and RHR are also great, fun ways to advance your Downshift and Mobile Asset commendations.

I'm just happy that I can play it somewhere in matchmaking right now. But I understand your frustration. I got very quickly sick of playing Team SWAT in the Team Slayer list post-launch.

KevinRo said:
Why did I google that.

343 has heard your cries and will start with allowing Armor Lockers to switch weapons and reload. Thanks for your contribution.

Hey You

Dax01 said:
Team Flag were to be DLC required with Highlands and Tempest given heavy weighting (or only those two maps), Team Flag would be all I would play.
It would be interesting to see if Restricting DLC for the Playlist would make it less popular.

The numbers for Team Flag in H3 were pretty high every time it came around If I can remember correctly and it was DLC required. So I guess its hard to say.

KevinRo said:
Why did I google that.

I get your point. It would be interesting to hear why Bungie didn't make a faster Jetpack that didn't allow shooting/grenading during use. That would've kept it more in line with the other abilities as you said. Your point is valid. I also think a "fast jetpack" would've been more fun than the current "hover-n-attack" model.

Now go watch some Star Wars.

KevinRo

HiredN00bs said:
343 has heard your cries and will start with allowing Armor Lockers to switch weapons and reload. Thanks for your contribution.

Are you dense? No, probably you're just bad at the game.

Checks GT. yeah bad.

KevinRo

Hydranockz said:
notsureifserious.jpg

I present a good argument and he just adds nothing to the conversation. Ontop of that he introduces armour lock fray and that just makes me want to rage.

Seriously, these abilities were added because of the MW, plain and simple. It's like Bungle thought 'hey, these would be COOL to have' instead of 'hey, these would enhance the gameplay'.

KevinRo said:
I present a good argument and he just adds nothing to the conversation. Ontop of that he introduces armour lock fray and that just makes me want to rage.

Seriously, these abilities were added because of the MW, plain and simple. It's like Bungle thought 'hey, these would be COOL to have' instead of 'hey, these would enhance the gameplay'.
You did just that. Arguments aside, playing the "I checked your GT, you suck" card is hilarious when you played it so seriously.

KevinRo said:

I think to discredit a company like Bungie with a statement like "would be cool to have" is rather offensive.

As someone learning how to make games myself, I would never say something like that.

Armor Lock makes Team Slayer play a lot different, slower sure. Unless you get goated into getting close to him, you can easily wait and take him out.

It belongs in BTB and Invasion.

You know what Halo GAF has taught me?

The only thing this much complaining is going to bring is Grey hair and stomach ulcers. Play the game to have fun, and if you don't have fun why are you playing it.

I still love Rocket Hog Race.

KevinRo said:

Your argument wasn't good. In fact, it wasn't even an argument. It was really just a question asking why Sprinters can't reload but Jetpackers can shoot. Those two things have nothing to do with each other.

blamite said:
I just went into Community Slayer and this was the first map that got voted for. Simply put: it is awesome. I'd love to see it in the full-time MM rotation.

EDIT: Kingdom is also a great map. Bungie's really getting better at icking the best maps for these community slayer playlists. But when are these going to get added to full-time matchmaking!?

So it looks like The Arena is my playlist of choice now. Other than the map selection, and voting process, it has my favorite slayer gametype so far. AR/DMR starts work great, and the AA selection is great, too. Always having the option of a Jetpack is great (for me, at least. :p).
Thanks man, I appreciate it. The Team Slayer playlist has a max local party size of 4, and in all honesty I don't think any object-dense forge map like mine would work with that option. I won't deny that I'd love to see it adopted into a regular MM playlist, but because of that little caveat, I'm not holding my breath. Hell, I'm just excited to have so many people play on it.

op_ivy said:
kingdoms and crown of flies are in the community slayer playlist now? awesome, and congrats!
Thanks!

I'm staying out of the AA discussion, because it's as old and tired as I am, and others have already said what I think.

KevinRo said:
A lot of these abilities started their life in Halo 3 as equipment and have just been refined and expanded.

You might be able to blame MW for them being loadouts rather than pickups, but these multiple use items make do make sense as loadouts for balancing and re-use purposes.

Hitmonchan107 said:
If a cake is made with ice cream, is it still a cake, or is it just a shaped mass of ice cream?

Edit: Can I has 343 ARG in my DLC plz?
It is an ice cream pie.

neoism said:
If I ever got matched up against something like this, I would feel like I was encountering Entei without the proper team. Jesus.

Also, back before the whole newbie activation thing, the pages would go at maybe one or two pages a day. Now it's like six every 16 hours or so.

Striker

Concerning the Rocket Hog Race inclusion... I bet they wouldn't have even included it in the Multi-team update if they hadn't brought in a damn Achievement for killing somebody in that mode. That was the first and primary mistake.

KevinRo

If you want to know why I'm so mad, it's probably because I'm bored as hell. Seriously, I get on Reach after not playing for a while and it just feels boring. The only thing I have to play for is MLG and that will only happen until I can save enough money to go to another. Matchmaking is just mundane.

The multiplayer part of Halo use to be so fun and pioneering. Instead of keeping the things that made the game fun, Bungle decided to remove them probably for the betterment of people who are new to the game and didn't want too much advantage for experienced players to shit on them. But with the advent of matchmaking and with previous installments, ranks, having stuff like grenade launching and certain advantages to glitches such as bxb and grenade reloading, there wouldn't be many scenarios where experienced players would just shit on noobs. Look at Gears, they even saw the advantages of those glitches and even ADDED them to the gameplay, ala timed reloading.

Now, I just look at online Reach as an outdated multiplayer. Bungle should look at online PC games and how they handle multiplayer. It isn't a science to see how a game like HoN can hold a constant community of 20,000+ people at one time and basically have a word of mouth advertising campaign. They have custom game searches, which since Halo2, should have had by now. With all these extra playlists, Halo has taken the fun of playing with your friends to just searching gametypes online and having people quit out whenever they want. And to expand upon that, Reach doesn't even allow disconnect reconnects. The fucK? If someone lags out, atleast give them an option to come back into the game.

I know the game is supposed to have a broad audience but for your fans who continue to play the game alot, there has to be a reason to keep on coming back. Without ranks, and without Clans to play for all the hardcore players just go to MLG and whatnot. Seriously, I've said this before, when the only thing to continue playing the game is for extra armour permutation you know you're fucked.

Anyone else think that the Community playlist should actually be a category? Maybe make it like ForgeHub, having:
-Competitive
-Casual (This would contain some Infection variants, be forewarned)
-Specialized (Things like Conquest and that one Halo 3 ODST-styled VIP game)
-Racetracks
-Minigames

Maybe not this EXACTLY, but something of the sort would be nice.

Striker said:
Concerning the Rocket Hog Race inclusion... I bet they wouldn't have even included it in the Multi-team update if they hadn't brought in a damn Achievement for killing somebody in that mode. That was the first and primary mistake.
I think you've nailed it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Did they remove Armour Lock from Team Slayer?

Zee-V70 said:
Anyone else think that the Community playlist should actually be a category? Maybe make it like ForgeHub, having:
-Competitive
-Casual (This would contain some Infection variants, be forewarned)
-Specialized (Things like Conquest and that one Halo 3 ODST-styled VIP game)
-Racetracks
-Minigames

Maybe not this EXACTLY, but something of the sort would be nice.

This isn't official but NOF was talking about future months changing up the playlist, so Community Slayer this month, next month could be Community BTB.

Whilst I don't think we'll see many categories, I do think we'll see different Community playlists over the next few months.

KevinRo said:
If you want to know why I'm so mad, it's probably because I'm bored as hell. Seriously, I get on Reach after not playing for a while and it just feels boring. The only thing I have to play for is MLG and that will only happen until I can save enough money to go to another. Matchmaking is just mundane.

The multiplayer part of Halo use to be so fun and pioneering. Instead of keeping the things that made the game fun, Bungle decided to remove them probably for the betterment of people who are new to the game and didn't want too much advantage for experienced players to shit on them. But with the advent of matchmaking and with previous installments, ranks, having stuff like grenade launching and certain advantages to glitches such as bxb and grenade reloading, there wouldn't be many scenarios where experienced players would just shit on noobs. Look at Gears, they even saw the advantages of those glitches and even ADDED them to the gameplay, ala timed reloading.

Now, I just look at online Reach as an outdated multiplayer. Bungle should look at online PC games and how they handle multiplayer. It isn't a science to see how a game like HoN can hold a constant community of 20,000+ people at one time and basically have a word of mouth advertising campaign. They have custom game searches, which since Halo2, should have had by now. With all these extra playlists, Halo has taken the fun of playing with your friends to just searching gametypes online and having people quit out whenever they want. And to expand upon that, Reach doesn't even allow disconnect reconnects. The fucK? If someone lags out, atleast give them an option to come back into the game.

I know the game is supposed to have a broad audience but for your fans who continue to play the game alot, there has to be a reason to keep on coming back. Without ranks, and without Clans to play for all the hardcore players just go to MLG and whatnot. Seriously, I've said this before, when the only thing to continue playing the game is for extra armour permutation you know you're fucked.
Bungie's bad at making games and I'm bad at playing said games so I guess we're a match made in heaven.

KevinRo said:

Why 'do' you play Reach at all so? It sounds like it just isn't fun for you at all :/

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
wwm0nkey said:
ummm guys saw this on B.net but its still pretty weird

Skip to 1:14 and look at the Warthog.

Vehicle effects?

Seriously? It's just the smoke from the burning hog.

Oh and Frank, it's Rocket-hog not Rocket launcher warthog you nub. Also, shave that shit on the sides of your head, you're starting to look a bit creepy!

Dani said:
Did they remove Armour Lock from Team Slayer?

Don't you go fucking with my emotions. I'll come to Ireland just to choke to to death with shitty American beer.

UPDATES!

The March Matchmaking Update is now live, changes include:

THE ARENA
-New Arena playlist replacing existing Arena playlists.
-Seasons are now 3 months long!
-Check it out in the Competitive category.
-Team Slayer with no Armor Lock, Camo or Dropshield!

DOUBLE TEAM
-New competitive 2v2 playlist
-Play Slayer and Oddball with a friend!

Envision a world where someone read that and got "Armor Lock was removed from the Team Slayer playlist". That is the world you live in.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HiredN00bs said:
Envision a world where someone read that and got "Armor Lock was removed from the Team Slayer playlist". That is the world you live in.

I was wondering. There's a handful of threads on Bnet "celebrating" the removal of AL in Team Slayer and not a single person there would verify the information or state a source. Hah.

I would have just loaded up the game shortly and checked myself.

FourDoor

I think my account has been hacked and they decided to play Kinectimals on it!!!! :(

For shame when the wife gets to play online more than I do

FourDoorXBL_Email3.png

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
NullPointer said:
So, wait! What? No?

Of course not. It was a misconception from Bnet. The Arena was updated today which removes AL from that playlist and some kids failed to read the notice right and ran with it.

GhaleonEB

My first game in Community Slayer was Kingdom. Close game until two dudes on the other team quit and then the other two started suiciding for fun. Whoever came up with that map did some bang-up design work on it, and whoever picked it for matchmaking has immaculate taste.

Top Bottom