• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

C'mon guys the solution to armor lock is right on this page staring at us.*

Bungie just needs to tweak it so if you hold armor lock down too long you gibb yourself. Think of it like a bloodier version of the farts in Fable. Problem solved.

* (OK, well now it isn't. D'oh)

krakov

riceandbeans said:
FUCK THAT.

I pretty much agree. While I have a lot of problems with reach, I don't have a problem with Armor Lock or any of the other AA's, except drop shields in objectives, f that shit. Jetpacks are horrible on a few select levels, most notably in the community slayer hopper.

Tawpgun

riceandbeans said:
You didn't get your stick? Too bad. Deal with it. That's one of the strengths of Armor Locking, to avoid grenades.

Learn how to combat the armor. Time the armor lock. Learn when to lob a grenade as they're coming out of it. I easily get rocked when coming out of armor lock at times with dudes coming from behind for the melee. There's enough time to double melee someone as they're coming out, even from up front. It feels about as balanced as everything else as far as strength and weaknesses go.

You know what feels unbalanced and shitty? Jet packs. I hate those things. You have guys flying to high perched areas or out of sight with sniper rifles and scoped weapons you normally can't get to with the other loadouts. Then there's also dudes flying up top in levels like Reflect, out of sight and can score some very creative sprees with power weapons like the shotgun and sword. Hey, maybe jetpacks need to have shorter flying times and height.

Highlighted points of interest. You and every other person who likes Armor Lock argue with this mentality that, "Didn't get your kill, deal with it and wait for the guy to come out."

I'll be honest, when someone locks on me, about 80-90% of the time I will still manage to kill the guy. Oh well why are you complain- BECAUSE ITS STILL GODDAMN ANNOYING EVERY TIME. It's delaying the inevitable and slowing down an already slow game to a CRAWL.

Armor Lock is powerful as hell, but by itself it isn't that bad UNLESS you have a good team. Not to mention the power increased seemingly exponentially the more people use it on your team. Especially if they do some VERY SIMPLE common sense co-ordination with it.

No one here is complaining about not being able to kill people with armor lock, we're complaining about those 1/10 chances that the armor lock guy will actually live on when he SHOULD have died. We're complaining about it slowing down our game, breaking the flow of combat and having to wait just to kill a guy. It's annoying as hell.

"But that's the point of Armor Lock, to give you a second chance"
AND THATS THE PART WE HATE.

riceandbeans said:
FUCK THAT.

There is nothing wrong with the armor and all the bitching I've read just sounds like sour grapes from people who haven't put the thought process into handling it.

I use armor, it's my main and only loadout I use. It's no where near as fool proof as some of the posts here are complaining about. Plasma grenades shouldn't outclass the armor lock. Period. That's idiotic. You didn't get your stick? Too bad. Deal with it. That's one of the strengths of Armor Locking, to avoid grenades.

Learn how to combat the armor. Time the armor lock. Learn when to lob a grenade as they're coming out of it. I easily get rocked when coming out of armor lock at times with dudes coming from behind for the melee. There's enough time to double melee someone as they're coming out, even from up front. It feels about as balanced as everything else as far as strength and weaknesses go.

You know what feels unbalanced and shitty? Jet packs. I hate those things. You have guys flying to high perched areas or out of sight with sniper rifles and scoped weapons you normally can't get to with the other loadouts. Then there's also dudes flying up top in levels like Reflect, out of sight and can score some very creative sprees with power weapons like the shotgun and sword. Hey, maybe jetpacks need to have shorter flying times and height.

But does it slow down gameplay?

Yes?

/debate

Tawpgun

I'm going to try and resist the urge to lash out against the people trying to defend armor lock. I'm done.

I've tried explaining its faults and so have a lot of people in this thread. You either get it or you don't. It's all a matter of if you're cool with slowing down the gameplay and the aspect of giving someone a second chance at life that takes no skill, or not.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
riceandbeans said:
FUCK THAT.

There is nothing wrong with the armor and all the bitching I've read just sounds like sour grapes from people who haven't put the thought process into handling it.

I use armor, it's my main and only loadout I use. It's no where near as fool proof as some of the posts here are complaining about. Plasma grenades shouldn't outclass the armor lock. Period. That's idiotic. You didn't get your stick? Too bad. Deal with it. That's one of the strengths of Armor Locking, to avoid grenades.

So you suck at Armor Lock and that's why you think it is balanced.

Okay.

riceandbeans said:
We can't be friends.

Apath

riceandbeans said:
FUCK THAT.

You obviously use it as a loadout because you find it to be the best -- I usually use it too, because I think it's cheap. Setting aside balance issues, as everyone else has said, it kills the flow of the game. What happens almost every time someone armor locks? One player sits there holding down a button while the other watches and waits. It's shield doors all over again. Dumb.

And it's funny that you find jet pack the most annoying, when I find it to be the most practical counter-measure to armor lockers.

Nutter said:
Shake appeal is a joke character anyway, nothing he says even matters.
Please explain to me how anything anyone here says "matters". At least one of us having fun with our deeply meaningful Internet message board posts. But since you've spent something like 15 days of your short life playing a game you confessedly don't enjoy very much, maybe you get your kicks in some more masochistic way, I don't know.

Nutter

Shake Appeal said:
Please explain to me how anything anyone here says "matters". At least one of us having fun with our deeply meaningful Internet message board posts. But since you've spent something like 15 days of your short life playing a game you confessedly don't enjoy very much, maybe you get your kicks in some more masochistic way, I don't know.
Interesting, so you use the playtime card. So what about you? oh wait..You play like twice a month show up in the thread to show everyone oh hey guys dont forget about me when DLC codes hit and mock people who are complaining about certain aspects of the game, not the entire game it self.

RC Master at HBO went for the "Unfrigginbelievable"-medal on "The Pillar of Autumn"... I've never seen somebody get up to the MAC Cannon before Emile dies. Awesome. I'm gonna have to try this later.

He apparently scored over 7 million points in the process. That's dedication. I'd have gotten bored already.

Nutter said:
Interesting, so you use the playtime card. So what about you? oh wait..You play like twice a month show up in the thread to show everyone oh hey guys dont forget about me when DLC codes hit and mock people who are complaining about certain aspects of the game, not the entire game it self.
It's not the "playtime" card, it's the "playtime while clearly not enjoying yourself" card, and it's really just me being confused why you guys do it to yourselves. Just take the disc out if it bothers you so much that you have to have the exact same discussions over and over and over for nobody's benefit.

As for "twice a month", well, that's not really true of late:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/PlayerGameHistory.aspx?player=Shake Appeal

But boy, I sure hope urk doesn't forget about the DLC codes! I mean that's clearly the only reason why I would ever choose to make light of the endless griping and absurd entitlement this thread puts on show.

Hint: I can't help but (playfully!) mock the embarrassing behaviour of a few people, especially when it comes from long-term fans who seem to think they have any ownership over what they play just because, y'know, they play it a lot.

Blue Ninja said:
RC Master at HBO went for the "Unfrigginbelievable"-medal on "The Pillar of Autumn"... I've never seen somebody get up to the MAC Cannon before Emile dies. Awesome. I'm gonna have to try this later.

He apparently scored over 7 million points in the process. That's dedication. I'd have gotten bored already.
He killed 1000enemys without dying? (right?) How is that possible without tricks etc.? Or does the killing spee still be active, even if you finish the mission?
I know that he used a trick to get 1000kills)

GhaleonEB said:
My only qualm about the new Firefight map is the presence of not one but two Rocket Hogs. I find them very obnoxious to use, just sloppy and weak. It's quite frustrating on Beachhead when it's careening about stirring everything up but not actually killing anything. I'd really have preferred the normal Warthog.
I prefer the Warthog over the Rockhog. because it is much more preciser

Botolf said:
That can go the other way too:

"If I Armor Lock, I expect to live. No exceptions."

And plasma sticks already have exceptions built into the game. Players in vehicles can frequently survive their craft being stuck.
Except sticky grenades have a history in Halo's gameplay. And who said anything about sticking vehicles? I'm talking about people. Players in vehicles surviving sticky grenades has been an aspect of Halo's gameplay since the beginning.

Striker

PNut said:
Played several games of the new "The Arena". Felt like Team Slayer minus AL. Had know idea Evade, Jetpack and Swords were being implemented. Radar I'm ok with but Evade+Shotgun/Sword ruins it for me. Don't see myself ever becoming the type of player who uses that BS to gain a rank. I can handle it in regular competitive gametypes but not in the only one that's supposed to be "Ranked". But hey, there were almost 3,000 people playing it on opening day.
I'm not a fan of Evade being a Spartan equipped ability, either. I personally have rather it simply be Sprint, but I can see them letting Jetpack and Hologram slide as well. Also would love for them to remove radar, because most maps will play better without it, more often.

Arena would also be greatly served getting Capture the flag and Assault. Why not?

A27 Tawpgun said:
"But that's the point of Armor Lock, to give you a second chance"
AND THATS THE PART WE HATE.
I hated this aspect for the Bubble and Regen, as well. You BR them a few shots until only one will get them down to no shields, only for them to deploy a bubble so you can play peekaboo with the bubble or get killed if he deployed a health regenerator.

Striker said:
I'm not a fan of Evade being a Spartan equipped ability, either. I personally have rather it simply be Sprint, but I can see them letting Jetpack and Hologram slide as well. Also would love for them to remove radar, because most maps will play better without it, more often.

Arena would also be greatly served getting Capture the flag and Assault. Why not?

I hated this aspect for the Bubble and Regen, as well. You BR them a few shots until only one will get them down to no shields, only for them to deploy a bubble so you can play peekaboo with the bubble or get killed if he deployed a health regenerator.

I would like to ask what the opponents of AL think of the bubble shield and regen. They did the same thing to gameplay as AL is doing right now. All they offered was a second chance for opponents (who should have been dead for putting themselves in bad positions), and a slowdown of game play.

Hopefully they're consistent because there was a lot less criticism for those two back in Halo 3.

All 3 are awful.

Crown of Flies seems really nice, I need to get another round on it, as the one I was in was a LAAAAAAAAAAG fest, but the map reminded me of a more vertical version of Chillout. I really appreciated the lack of crap in my sitelines.

KS Seven X said:
I would like to ask what the opponents of AL think of the bubble shield and regen. They did the same thing to gameplay as AL is doing right now. All they offered was a second chance for opponents (who should have been dead for putting themselves in bad positions), and a slowdown of game play.
A bubble shield or regenerator didn't make the player invincible.

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:

Yeah, you can actually get in there and face the opponent.

With AL all you can do is stare.

I'll stop talking about AL now

Dax01 said:

No, but they were annoying though. They slowed the game play down considerably, and they were get out of jail cards as well. When the bubble shield was activated, teammates could help the player by either killing the player outside, or fend him off. Sometimes the player inside the bubble shield forced the outside player to go inside, where either he would now be one shot because of melee, or the dying player would stick the other player causing them both to die. I'm not even getting into the objective game types where it was a huge advantage.

The regenerator made the player inside invincible from the player he was fighting even if he was getting owned. It was also used in power positions like the sniper tower on The Pit after they were pinged by BR's. That allowed players to maintain the power position and was unfair for the other team.

They sucked, albeit they're not as bad as AL.

KS Seven X said:
No, but they were annoying though. They slowed the game play down considerably, and they were get out of jail cards as well. When the bubble shield was activated, teammates could help the player by either killing the player outside, or fend him off. Sometimes the player inside the bubble shield forced the outside player to go inside, where either he would now be one shot because of melee, or the dying player would stick the other player causing them both to die. I'm not even getting into the objective game types where it was a huge advantage.

The regenerator made the player inside invincible from the player he was fighting even if he was getting owned. It was also used in power positions like the sniper tower on The Pit after they were pinged by BR's. That allowed players to maintain the power position and was unfair for the other team.

The bubble shield and the regenerator didn't slow down the gameplay at all. And they weren't annoying. Normally when someone activated a bubble shield, his shields were so close to being depleted or depleted, all it would take was a melee or a grenade inside to finish them off. And the regenerator didn't make the player invincible: it took a couple of second to fully activate and with a couple of grenades you could turn the fight in your favor.

equil

KS Seven X said:

Hopefully they're consistent because there was a lot less criticism for those two back in Halo 3.

All 3 are awful.

Yea bubble shield and regen slowed down gameplay but not as much as armorlock. Atleast with the bubbleshield and regen it is possible to kill the person, just risky.
They also dont kill vehicles or bounce stickys off of yourself.

op_ivy said:
after several shit community maps i finally got to play crown of flies in matchmaking!

and...

i went +22 k/d while EVERYONE else was negative! lol
Holy shit! I got to play on it yesterday, and it seems that so far, no one is going to the bottom level to find the sniper that's sitting right next to the yellow lift. Bummer.

Haven't played Kingdom yet, but I did play Historical Site, and besides several odd spawns, it's a pretty cool map.

Still don't know why Thrust is still in the hopper; it's a really poor map and the spawns are atrocious.

electricpirate said:
Crown of Flies seems really nice, I need to get another round on it, as the one I was in was a LAAAAAAAAAAG fest, but the map reminded me of a more vertical version of Chillout. I really appreciated the lack of crap in my sitelines.
Thanks, having a lot of unnecessary 'cover' in maps is a huge pet peeve of mine, and I tried to rectify that.

KS Seven X said:

Supercombine would always kill a guy in the middle of regen.

reach_14641855_Full.jpg

Striker

equil said:
Yea bubble shield and regen slowed down gameplay but not as much as armorlock. Atleast with the bubbleshield and regen it is possible to kill the person, just risky.
They also dont kill vehicles or bounce stickys off of yourself.
Yes they did. Bubble shields become a staring contest until you either wait, or run your ass in the shield which will then either become a CQB or a grenade fury. Regen users will kill you in seconds unless you are wielding a Rocket Launcher.

KS Seven X said:

All 3 are awful.
All in all, items that give another player a second chance of survival doesn't belong in the game. It makes no sense if a person here is going to whine and cry about AL but act like the bubble shield and regen didn't act quite similar. Moments like BR'ing a player and he flops out a regen at the last second, and gains his health back to rhythm, and bam, the person who should have killed is now at an advantage and will win the fight.

That's somehow ok? Well then.

equil

Striker said:
Yes they did. Bubble shields become a staring contest until you either wait, or run your ass in the shield which will then either become a CQB or a grenade fury. Regen users will kill you in seconds unless you are wielding a Rocket Launcher.

You cant run inside of AL to atleast have that chance though.
There is no weakness other than waiting.

Striker said:
Yes they did. Bubble shields become a staring contest until you either wait, or run your ass in the shield which will then either become a CQB or a grenade fury.
Oh no! CQB!
Regen users will kill you in seconds unless you are wielding a Rocket Launcher.
Or a Needler. Or if you stick them. Or a sniper. Or a sword. Or a shotgun. Or an energy drainer. Hell, you can run into the regenerator field if you're close enough. There were plenty of ways to combat a regenerator. There aren't any ways to combat AL.

Dax01 said:
The bubble shield and the regenerator didn't slow down the gameplay at all. And they weren't annoying. Normally when someone activated a bubble shield, his shields were so close to being depleted or depleted, all it would take was a melee or a grenade inside to finish them off. And the regenerator didn't make the player invincible: it took a couple of second to fully activate and with a couple of grenades you could turn the fight in your favor.

You're flat out lying. They did slow the game play down. You're telling me, that when someone brings out a bubble shield, you can still kill them in the same amount of time as in regular combat? No, unless you're close up, in which case it's bs because they now can bring you to one shot from a melee or they can stick you and you both end up dying. That's frustrating for the player who should have gotten the kill the same way an AL user alters the fight. A slight invulnerability can change the outcome of a kill easily. That is why when you're one shot, they encourage you to hide behind something in MLG. It gives you extra time to live and possibly be saved by your teammates.

Also, it did not take a couple of seconds to activate a regen. It happened in a second, and it would drastically shift the favor onto the regen user. In any case, the player will live longer most times and thus it slows the gameplay down, and buys the regen user time to stay alive just like the AL.

Also, CQB made it a random melee fight. Most users would use it at mid range anyways when they had a BR. I also noticed, you're arguing that the needler will save you. Right, except the weapon sucked so why would you use it in the first place? You're also underestimating the intelligence of players using the regen. In higher levels, they wouldn't just activate them in the way you're saying (CQB), so those CQB power weapons don't matter in this discussion.

Like I said, they're not as bad as AL, but they're in the same category as the AL in the ways they alter game play.

Striker

Dax01 said:
Oh no! CQB!

Or a Needler. Or if you stick them. Or a sniper. Or a sword. Or a shotgun. Or an energy drainer. Hell, you can run into the regenerator field if you're close enough. There were plenty of ways to combat a regenerator. There aren't any ways to combat AL.
Of course. You probably also enjoyed the AR rush and melee combo.

Killing an regen user with a weapon like a Shotgun, Sword, or grenades will only work if you are close to them. Otherwise your shot at winning is slim. A good user will 99.9% defeat you once he throws down a regen.

KS, if he really believes something like AL slows down gameplay, but a fucking idle bubble shield doesn't is dumbfounding. All three slowed down gameplay, all three have their extreme annoyances, give player another chance of life despite not earning it, all three are the typical types of items that don't belong in competitive Halo.

KS Seven X said:
You're flat out lying. They did slow the game play down. You're telling me, that when someone brings out a bubble shield, you can still kill them in the same amount of time as in regular combat? No, unless you're close up, in which case it's bs because they now can bring you to one shot from a melee or they can stick you and you both end up dying. That's frustrating for the player who should have gotten the kill the same way an AL user alters the fight. A slight invulnerability can change the outcome of a kill easily. That is why when you're one shot, they encourage you to hide behind something in MLG. It gives you extra time to live and possibly be saved by your teammates.

Also, it did not take a couple of seconds to activate a regen. It happened in a second, and it would drastically shift the favor onto the regen user. In any case, the player will live longer most times and thus it slows the gameplay down, and buys the regen user time to stay alive just like the AL.

Also, CQB made it a random melee fight. Most users would use it at mid range anyways when they had a BR. I also noticed, you're arguing that the needler will save you. Right, except the weapon sucked so why would you use it in the first place? You're also underestimating the intelligence of players using the regen. In higher levels, they wouldn't just activate them in the way you're saying (CQB), so those CQB power weapons don't matter in this discussion.
Striker said:
Of course. You probably also enjoyed the AR rush and melee combo.

Killing an regen user with a weapon like a Shotgun, Sword, or grenades will only work if you are close to them. Otherwise your shot at winning is slim. A good user will 99.9% defeat you once he throws down a regen.

KS, if he really believes something like AL slows down gameplay, but a fucking idle bubble shield doesn't is dumbfounding. All three slowed down gameplay, all three have their extreme annoyances, give player another chance of life despite not earning it, all three are the typical types of items that don't belong in competitive Halo.
Bubble shield and regenerator were a fine addition to Halo's gameplay.

Also happy page 117 glad you guys shitted it up by bitching about armor lock again.

Bitch about shit they should fix like banning idlers.

wwm0nkey

xxjuicesxx said:
Also happy page 117 glad you guys shitted it up by bitching about armor lock again.

Well Armor Lock needs to be tweaked.

Do agree on the idler problem though.

Kujo

They should kick Armor Lockers and Idlers and place them into Halo limbo where they have to fight each other for 10 rounds with only a plasma rifle

Edit: Dammit wwm0nkey, I thought I had double posted there for a second.. :p

wwm0nkey said:
Well Armor Lock needs to be tweaked.

Do agree on the idler problem though.

Well unless they are going to remove it from more places they'd probably have to reprogram things to change it which would probably require some sort of Title Update or patch... which looks like its not happening...its as designed (overpowered and super-awesome)

So lets focus on banning those assclowns specifically that guy who's a nova I just linked to a few posts above. Totally should reset his shit, I'd love that.

xxjuicesxx said:

I had an idler on Rocketfight of all things yesterday. He scored a few points at the beginning of the match, then proceeded to hide up the the roof of Courtyard, leaving me all alone against a horde of fuckers.

Didn't get to play Kingdom last night, but Crown of Flies could be one of my favorite Reach maps overall (not just community).
It really gave me a Halo:CE vibe.

KS Seven X said:

- You don't spawn with a Bubble Shield or Regen.
- You can only use them once.

You might as well say the Overshield pickup in Halo:CE slowed down gameplay.
(No one cared, because it took SKILL to pick up and there were COUNTERS to it.)

GhaleonEB

electricpirate said:
So far I've played three games in the Community Slayer playlist this time around, and it went Kingdom, Crown of Flies, then Kingdom again. Not sure if it was luck or emerging preferences; in all three games those maps got all but one or two votes.

But I agree wholeheartedly on that last point. The main thing that turned me off from the playlist the last two times around was running into maps filled with hard, narrow corners or sight lines obscured with pieces sticking out of the ground. I felt like a rat in a maze on several of them. The two maps I've played - and had from customs - feature a mix of open spaces and long sight lines with very carefully placed cover points and elevation changes. The last game on Kingdom was spectacular, a very intense game where both sides were using team work to catch players in crossfires. I'm usually not a Team Slayer guy, but I could play that all day.

Top Bottom