• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

FourDoor

GhaleonEB said:
My first game in Community Slayer was Kingdom. Close game until two dudes on the other team quit and then the other two started suiciding for fun. Whoever came up with that map did some bang-up design work on it, and whoever picked it for matchmaking has immaculate taste.

Can't wait to try it out.

Pat on the back for both the designer whoever chose it. ;)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I have to report, at least from my perspective, they have increased the chances of DMR starts in Community Slayer. It now seems just as likely as Slayer/AR starts, what a wonderful thing to happen.

Sibylus

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Man oh man if I could airblast an armorlocker off of a ravine, or air blast him as a projectile into his own teammates/vehicles.
People would hate us poor Pyros even more :[

Still worth it!

Dax01 said:
Also, you still die if you get stuck. Or you can get killed when a needler super combines in your face.
I vote to keep invincibility against sticks and super combines, but only one per charge. Any lethal damage survived should render the ability inoperative until the meter recharges fully.

KevinRo said:
This.

Charged Plasma pistol should knock the Armour Locking newb out of AL. Also, when you Jetpack you shouldn't be able to shoot or reload. Doesn't make sense that you can't reload when you sprint but you can do everything else while you Jetpack.

*edit*

Also, evade should only have one roll.
Son of a bitch, you keep your scheming hands off my jetpack >:|

The ability doesn't need to be rebalanced, as it is already quite situational and paints a target on your butt if you spam it (clay pigeons, anyone?). Without the element of surprise or being able to quickly access escape drops (a la Spire) or ledges, almost every other AA has more intrinsic worth in combat. It has very narrow advantages. Nothing really needs to be done here.

Plywood said:
Trueskill at work, bromango.
Remember, when matchmaking is working perfectly you should lose half of your games.

I've come to realize that I'm not cool with this ;p

Botolf said:
Son of a bitch, you keep your scheming hands off my jetpack >:|
And THIS. Cold dead hands and all that. Don't even.

GhaleonEB

My only qualm about the new Firefight map is the presence of not one but two Rocket Hogs. I find them very obnoxious to use, just sloppy and weak. It's quite frustrating on Beachhead when it's careening about stirring everything up but not actually killing anything. I'd really have preferred the normal Warthog.

GhaleonEB said:
My only qualm about the new Firefight map is the presence of not one but two Rocket Hogs. I find them very obnoxious to use, just sloppy and weak. It's quite frustrating on Beachhead when it's careening about stirring everything up but not actually killing anything. I'd really have preferred the normal Warthog.
Indeed. Nothing like hitting the elite dead on, only to blast him out of the way off the remaining salvo.

I still think we need to have a firefight map that uses a Falcon instead of warthogs. Or one that takes place across across several rooftops in New Alexandria, with the Falcon or Jetpacks enabling you to bound between them.

Swap out the supply closets for ODST weapon racks, and as those racks deplete players would have motivation to move the battle to another strongpoint. Basically a version of Windward from ODST only with a Falcon and multiple rooftops.

Shit. I would LOVE this.

Hydranockz said:
Indeed. Nothing like hitting the elite dead on, only to blast him out of the way off the remaining salvo.

CE Rockethog would be nice.

NullPointer said:
I still think we need to have a firefight map that uses a Falcon instead of warthogs. Or one that takes place across across several rooftops in New Alexandria, with the Falcon or Jetpacks enabling you to bound between them.

Swap out the supply closets for ODST weapon racks, and as those racks deplete players would have motivation to move the battle to another strongpoint. Basically a version of Windward from ODST only with a Falcon and multiple rooftops.

Shit. I would LOVE this.

Oh wow, great idea, Banshees would rip it apart though...

That might turn out to be really easy...

However I still love it.

NullPointer said:

Shit. I would LOVE this.
But FF doesn't let you jetpack anywhere the covies can't get to... which boggles my mind on maps like Glacier when I can't perch on the stalagmites even though I am in plain sight.

Hydranockz said:
But FF doesn't let you jetpack anywhere the covies can't get to... which boggles my mind on maps like Glacier when I can't perch on the stalagmites even though I am in plain sight.

That's more of a camping issue than anything.

GhaleonEB

Hydranockz said:
In two games this past week, I was the last man standing on Beachhead at most inhospitable times. One was in the middle of an Elite/Jackal wave and the drop pod with the five Elite Ultras dropped in. Those guys rock the house if you're solo, and they had one gold Elite chasing after me to boot. I sprinted to the Warthog and drove it straight out to the area where you enter the map in Campaign, set up camp, and hopped in the turret.

What happened next was comic. Over the course of a full minute, the Elites worked their way toward me through mostly sideways bunny hops. I'd fire, sweeping the turret to engage much of the pack, and they would all, in unison, hop sideways. There is so little splash damage - and even less precision - to the rockets that they'd be mostly unscathed. They'd take one step forward, and then we'd repeat.

For an entire minute, they slowly, slowly crawled forward enough to hurl a barrage of sticky grenades at me, and that was all she wrote. I killed the gold dude because he decided to charge straight on. The Ultras were untouched.

I probably fired a good 100+ rockets at them, from close range. Meant to get the comedy in video, but never did.

Suffice it to say, I was wishing pretty hard for a regular old chain gun turret at the time, and have a rock-bottom opinion of the Rocket Hog. It's all bark and no bite.

Hydranockz said:
There is at least one spot on glacier where you can.

And I wouldn't want you to be able to jetpack over to some safe spot anyways. Just a means of being able to cross from one rooftop to another somehow, so you could still play the level solo.

MrBig

NullPointer said:
There is at least one spot on glacier where you can.
The tallest one in the middle where the phantoms come down at the back and on top of the base where everyone snipes from.

Sibylus

Banned
NullPointer said:

Shit. I would LOVE this.
Oh man, I would play this thing to death. It would probably end up being my favourite FF map.

Someone get on the squawkbox with 343 stat!

Blueblur1

I quit playing solely due to the teammate shitfest I was forced to endure. Idle players should be fucking kicked from matches after 2 minutes.

GhaleonEB said:

Agreed, the rocket hog is shockingly ineffective against infantry. Did take down a banshee with one on Invasion Breakpoint the other day which was very satisfying. But yeah for Unearthed, I would prefer the default warthog.

Also, out of curiosity, how is the gauss hog in Reach? I just realized that I have never used it, not even in some customs.

NullPointer said:

Shit. I would LOVE this.

Not having a Firefight space based the New Alexandria level seems like a huge missed opportunity to me. An amazing area, and a great campaign level. Would love to get some firefight falcon action in that area.

Botolf said:
I vote to keep invincibility against sticks and super combines, but only one per charge. Any lethal damage survived should render the ability inoperative until the meter recharges fully.
If I stick someone, I expect them to die. No exceptions. You remember that glitch in Halo 3 in which the sticky grenade you threw at someone disappeared? It was rare, but when it did happen, I felt cheated and quite vexed. I feel the same way when someone goes into AL to avoid a sticky.

Hey You

Seriously how hard is it to turn Weapon Pick Up off?

Does it really require testing before putting the new version into MM?

Shoulda been done when FF arcade went live.

Hey You said:
Seriously how hard is it to turn Weapon Pick Up off?

Does it really require testing before putting the new version into MM?

Shoulda been done when FF arcade went live.
They should remove it from Fiesta as well, provided they always offer up a secondary weapon.

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:
If I stick someone, I expect them to die. No exceptions. You remember that glitch in Halo 3 in which the sticky grenade you threw at someone disappeared? It was rare, but when it did happen, I felt cheated and quite vexed. I feel the same way when someone goes into AL to avoid a sticky.
That can go the other way too:

"If I Armor Lock, I expect to live. No exceptions."

And plasma sticks already have exceptions built into the game. Players in vehicles can frequently survive their craft being stuck.

This way, Armor Lock does what its billed to and to spectacular effect, but there are also multiple ways to "short" the charge and make the AL user vulnerable again (but at a cost of some munitions). Letting plasma grenades and needles damage lethally right through the ability would give it an Achilles Heel the size of the moon in many game modes, and would consign it to uselessness. Nerfing it to death isn't the solution.

And yes, I've seen that glitch. Quite often in Halo PC as well, where a middling or bad server mixes with the poor netcode (seriously, it was built to be fully accommodating of 56K connections, thank you so much for that decision MS :|) for frustrating results.

Crucio

Yeah just played Kingdom. I'm an instant fan, its so simple yet really fun. One thing, its not made for DMR starts. You can barely move in the map without getting shot. Slayer on the other hand seems more balanced with it.

Hey You

NullPointer said:
They should remove it from Fiesta as well, provided they always offer up a secondary weapon.
In Score Attack?

You have limited Ammo. So if you couldn't pick up weapons, you'd be forced to get killed and burn through your lives in the first few minutes.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
With all this Armour Lock talk, I have been thinking about how the ability is suppose to function within the fictional universe.

Cortana used the Chief's overshield to emit a small EMP blast, so it's logical to assume that at least part of Armour Lock stemmed from that idea.

Going by how energy shields are presented in other media, the concept of increasing a shield's strength isn't all that surprising. Star Trek for example gives us plenty of examples of diverting more power to the aft shields (or some other area where the shielding covers) to provide additional shielding when needed. The Chief may not be Captain Kirk thinking that energy shielding works in this way wouldn't be far fetched.

There is a problem with how Armour Lock works and how it should work, as put forward by both the Cortana EMP example and the Enterprise example. A user's shield are still intact immediately after use!

When Cortana overloaded the Chief's overshield to emit an EMP pulse, his shielding was lost momentarily and hard to recharge. Now Armour Lock presents us with an extreme increase in the overshield's ability to protect the user. To achieve this there must be a dramatic, but short lived, significant increase in power consumption.

This is where gameplay and fiction part ways. A user overloading his overshield to give himself a short moment of increased protection or an EMP burst (or like it's use in Reach, both) would be left with a fully drained overshield. There would be a cooldown period followed by a recharge period before the shielding could continue to function at normal levels. As we see in Reach, there is no loss of shielding after Armour Lock use. Sometimes due to the "frosting" effect, players continue to receive an additional amount of extra shielding protection for a few moments after the use of Armour Lock ends. If a user's shields have been overloaded by being on the receiving end of gunfire, then it should be impossible to activate Armour Lock, afterall the energy supply needed for normal shielding has been overloaded.

You could explain this away by making the assumption that Armour Locking is powered by a secondary energy source, independent of main source the standard overshield uses. Heck, the Armour Ability pickup could even be this additional source of energy. It's a dirty retcon but I might just be happy with it.

I know it's sad but this is why I do not like Armour Lock. Some folks cry foul when a potential kill is taken away from them or they feel the ability is cheap, cheating them out of a deserved kill to add to their game tally. I do not like Armour Lock because it doesn't follow the rules and expectations set up not only by the Halo universe by Sci-Fi in general.

Hey You said:
In Score Attack?

You have limited Ammo. So if you couldn't pick up weapons, you'd be forced to get killed and burn through your lives in the first few minutes.
Good point. I figured it wouldn't be a problem as there are those supply crates, but I forget that they don't work for all weapons.

Dani said:
There is a problem with how Armour Lock works and how it should work, as put forward by both the Cortana EMP example and the Enterprise example. A user's shield are still intact immediately after use!
Exactly. Imagine how different things would be if you expended shields to power your armor lock. You couldn't avoid that last killing blow, but you could still act as a tank and withstand splatters.

Dani said:
Armor Lock stuff
Tie Armor Lock to current shield strength? GENIUS. Make it happen (they won't).

Alienshogun said:
Halo needs gibbing.

If Gears has taught me anything, it's that beating someone so bad that their body falls apart infront of you and their blood covers your screen is supremely satisfying.
Not sure if serious but Halo could do with it's own type of "gibbing". Like cracking helmets or visors on headshots.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Halo needs gibbing.

If Gears has taught me anything, it's that beating someone so bad that their body falls apart infront of you and their blood covers your screen is supremely satisfying.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Barrow Roll said:
Not sure if serious but Halo could do with it's own type of "gibbing". Like cracking helmets or visors on headshots.

I'm completely serious. Gears has some of the most satisfying kills in games.

The headshot noises in Halo are a step in the right direction.

Alienshogun said:
I'm completely serious. Gears has some of the most satisfying kills in games.

The headshot noises in Halo are a step in the right direction.
I completely agree with you, but that level gore works in the established Gears visual style. It would look completely out of place in Halo, but the Assassinations and head shot noises are a step up. Halo could do with it's own brand of violence. Scorched armor when hit by a rocket. Cracked visors and helmets when headshotted. Broken armor when taking a sword or shotgun blast point blank. Armor melting from plasma heat. Something a little more elegant.

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't know about that. While improved over the previous games the weapons in Reach don't feel nearly as powerful as some of the other games not to mention that some of the guns shoot purple needles and green stuff... I don't think games look right when they mix colorful with violent.

Edit: Damn you!

Tawpgun

Kuroyume said:
I don't know about that. While improved over the previous games the weapons in Reach don't feel nearly as powerful as some of the other games not to mention that some of the guns shoot purple needles and green stuff... I don't think games look right when they mix colorful with violent.

Edit: Damn you!

See: Bulletstorm.

But that's a completely different style of game anyway. I really want to play Reach, but at the same time Bulletstorm keeps calling me back...

Also, new point of discussion. Sure, armor lock is annoying as hell and needs to be nuked from orbit.... but lets talk about something else Bungie has ruined with Reach. Exploration.

Why is it that developers are so touchy when it comes to getting outside of levels. Sure, its unfinished. No shit. We would still like to walk around there anyway.

Halo 1 had large environments. I remember shitting bricks the first time I played AotCR and I realized "Wait... that bridge hundreds of feet up... I JUST FOUGHT ON THAT" And if you managed to steal a banshee you could explore everywhere.

And then... Halo 2. My god. In Campaign we had Outskirts, where they actually PUT skulls and other easter eggs outside of the map by design. Metropolis Scarab Gun and Soccer Ball. Delta Halo lake. That was MASSIVE. It seemed like all of the skulls were in places that could be classified as "out of the map" But it didn't stop there. Load up Mulitplayer.
The buildings outside headlong, super jumps to high points of maps, containment SUPER WHITE GLOW + bumper car arena, and lets not forget the Gemini Massive Empty Room where all you could see was the skybox of inner High Charity. That place was so big you could lose each other because the game wouldn't draw players that far away.

Then came Halo 3. Invisible walls. Invisible walls everywhere. On my first playthrough I actually ended up running into them a lot. They were in places where I thought I SHOULD be able to go. Nope. On top of that, if you did get past the walls (like you could get past some of the walls in H2 and HCE) there was almost always a kill barrier. ALMOST always. We still had the turret forge trick to get to non-player spaces in maps, we could force teleporters through as well, and the campaign even had some places with no kill barriers (Outside the Ark, Covenant, and Sierra 117)

ODST had nothing that I know of, but man I wanted to climb some of those buildings.

And now Reach. Sure we got some massive levels again, but nothing on the scale of Halo 1 in terms of the combat space. But they must have given the player opportunities to explore outside map boundaries right? After the closed in nature of Halo 3 they had to go back? Nope.

We still have REALLY dumb invisible walls, and on top of this, something just as bad. Soft kill zones. Oh, see that ledge or rock that looks like a cool spot, or this part of the map? Man I would love to go the-RETURN TO BATTLEFIELD IN 10 SECONDS. What? Really?

Reach feels much more closed off than any of the other Halos, and I was disappointed. There are soft kill zones in places that there shouldn't be any, and if you get past the kill zones you are treated either with a death barrier or another invisible wall.

Bungie, I am disappoint.

Frankie and 343, if you're reading this, tell whoever is making the new proper Halo game, that we want out environments opened up. The community loved finding ways to get out of levels, but don't make it impossible... Sure, you need to confine people in a space for a linear story and for balanced matchmaking, but at LEAST try and make it so there are options to bring down these barriers.

Oh, and while I'm at it, make us be able to lower our guns online again. Save Halo Machinima. Bring it back to the Halo 2 Glory Days.

Just played the Crysis 2 demo and say what you will about Reach's faults, but you can't say that they aren't polished. As much as I enjoy Reach's presentation, I disliked that of Crysis 2.

The random dialogue after you are killed..
The lobby UI.
The other intro voiceovers.
Not good.

Plus, I think I found a pistol worse than the halo 2/3 magnum.

You know, it all made me appreciate Reach just a little more. Thanks Crytek!

PNut

Banned
Played several games of the new "The Arena". Felt like Team Slayer minus AL. Had know idea Evade, Jetpack and Swords were being implemented. Radar I'm ok with but Evade+Shotgun/Sword ruins it for me. Don't see myself ever becoming the type of player who uses that BS to gain a rank. I can handle it in regular competitive gametypes but not in the only one that's supposed to be "Ranked". But hey, there were almost 3,000 people playing it on opening day.

I would of rather seen pickups in The Arena instead of starting with Evade/Jetpack. "Want to roll around a sword/melee people?" Well, you better rush Evade like a power weapon then! Same with Jetpack. Idk, it just seems like starting with those AA's ruins the possibility for any balanced competitive gameplay.

Oozer3993

I think I have solved the Armor Lock problem. Make it undesirable to use. How do we accomplish this? Add something shameful to it. I propose a giant, flashing neon sign that can be seen from all over the map above an armor locking player's head that details their sexual inadequacies and/or mental deficiencies. At the very least, lights that spell out "This player sucks at this game" with an arrow pointing down to them. Or maybe require you to reveal a dark secret from your past in order to use it and put that on the sign. For instance, you're free to use Armor Lock, but then every player in the game will know you made out with your cousin that one time.

Dax01 said:

I stick people so infrequently that I can't get angry over that particular quirk of Armor Lock. Any sticks I get are found money. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever been victimized by Armor Lock negating a stick of mine.

blamite

Alright, so I've been thinking about this for a while, and here's my Armor Lock solution.

-Make it more like the deployable cover equipment from Halo 3. Hold LB and a shield like one of these appears in front of you.
-You don't have any invulnerability or extra shields yourself, and the shield can be destroyed by damaging it. You can still be hurt from any other direction, but the shield can block incoming grenades, bullets, and vehicles.
-It could have stregnth about equal to a Spartan's normal shield.
-It could last about the same time as Armor Lock, but it will recharge more slowly, and if the shield was destroyed while you were using it, it recharges even more slowly.

I think something like this would provide decent defense, without making you invincible. It would be more useful for preventing encounters, rather than interrupting them. Do it Bungie 343!

A27 Tawpgun said:
Also, new point of discussion. Sure, armor lock is annoying as hell and needs to be nuked from orbit.... but lets talk about something else Bungie has ruined with Reach. Exploration.

FUCK THAT.

There is nothing wrong with the armor and all the bitching I've read just sounds like sour grapes from people who haven't put the thought process into handling it.

I use armor, it's my main and only loadout I use. It's no where near as fool proof as some of the posts here are complaining about. Plasma grenades shouldn't outclass the armor lock. Period. That's idiotic. You didn't get your stick? Too bad. Deal with it. That's one of the strengths of Armor Locking, to avoid grenades.

Learn how to combat the armor. Time the armor lock. Learn when to lob a grenade as they're coming out of it. I easily get rocked when coming out of armor lock at times with dudes coming from behind for the melee. There's enough time to double melee someone as they're coming out, even from up front. It feels about as balanced as everything else as far as strength and weaknesses go.

You know what feels unbalanced and shitty? Jet packs. I hate those things. You have guys flying to high perched areas or out of sight with sniper rifles and scoped weapons you normally can't get to with the other loadouts. Then there's also dudes flying up top in levels like Reflect, out of sight and can score some very creative sprees with power weapons like the shotgun and sword. Hey, maybe jetpacks need to have shorter flying times and height.

Oozer3993

riceandbeans said:
FUCK THAT.

There is nothing wrong with the armor and all the bitching I've read just sounds like sour grapes from people who haven't put the thought process into handling it.

I use armor, it's my main and only loadout I use. It's no where near as fool proof as some of the posts here are complaining about. Plasma grenades shouldn't outclass the armor lock. Period. That's idiotic. You didn't get your stick? Too bad. Deal with it. That's one of the strengths of Armor Locking, to avoid grenades.

Learn how to combat the armor. Time the armor lock. Learn when to lob a grenade as they're coming out of it. I easily get rocked when coming out of armor lock at times with dudes coming from behind for the melee. There's enough time to double melee someone as they're coming out, even from up front. It feels about as balanced as everything else as far as strength and weaknesses go.

You know what feels unbalanced and shitty? Jet packs. I hate those things. You have guys flying to high perched areas or out of sight with sniper rifles and scoped weapons you normally can't get to with the other loadouts. Then there's also dudes flying up top in levels like Reflect, out of sight and can score some very creative sprees with power weapons like the shotgun and sword. Hey, maybe jetpacks need to have shorter flying times and height.

I foresee a great future in this thread for you.

Top Bottom