• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

How come no one has posted about the first wave of Bungie Beta Tester questionnaires that were sent out? I was told by a friend who has received one that there seem to be some juicy implications made by the nature of the questions. I search Google News for "Bungie" and sort by date and there's not a single story on this. For shame, internet.

Also, I use Xbox Live to file a complaint on Firefight idlers for cheating...on every account I have access to. I also use Bungie.net to build XBL mailing lists to the people who have unfortunately been matched with them, urging them to do the same and with instructions on how to do so.

Gui_PT

HiredN00bs said:
How come no one has posted about the first wave of Bungie Beta Tester questionnaires that were sent out? I was told by a friend who has received one that there seem to be some juicy implications made by the nature of the questions. I search Google News for "Bungie" and sort by date and there's not a single story on this. For shame, internet.

Also, I use Xbox Live to file a complaint on Firefight idlers for cheating...on every account I have access to. I also use Bungie.net to build XBL mailing lists to the people who have unfortunately been matched with them, urging them to do the same and with instructions on how to do so.

Someone did make a post about it here. And there are no implications. Just general gaming habit questions.

Gui_PT said:
Someone did make a post about it here. And there are no implications. Just general gaming habit questions.
*psst* That 'someone' was him... I thought....

I live on the Emerald Isle. I will talk about things that are relevant to me. Bungie Store? Not so relevant :p US based Halo oppurtunities? Ditto. I love/hate this place sometimes.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Bungie.net Forums, eww.
I've spent a fair amount of time on b.net lately (well, the Optimatch forum, I stay out of the other one). And I don't think the discourse is that much worse there; we get vitriol and clueless-ness is ample doses here as well (Covie Forge World!!1). It hasn't lived up to its reputation for me quite yet. Though as I said, I stick to Optimatch which is a bit more focused. The b.net Reach forum is like the OT of NeoGAF, only not awesome.

Crucio

HiredN00bs said:

I have personally received a survey: "Bungie Beta Tester Sign Up‏". The survey acts as a screening for those who might have clicked the "Beta Test" button on Bnet by accident. By completing the survey it told me that I was now signed up as a beta tester. (Woot!)

There are questions pertaining to how you much you play games, what games you play, what you like to do in your games. A few questions pertaining to RPG style gameplay(e.g. "I like to customize my character." "I like to have things others don't"). Unfortunately I did not take screens of the pages, and they are not in my browser history either so I can't go in detail. But these "Implications" are true, though they are really general and vague questions. I wouldn't use them for evidence.

The sign ups were sent yesterday, so perhaps the news hasn't reached the web sites yet.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
I've spent a fair amount of time on b.net lately (well, the Optimatch forum, I stay out of the other one). And I don't think the discourse is that much worse there; we get vitriol and clueless-ness is ample doses here as well (Covie Forge World!!1). It hasn't lived up to its reputation for me quite yet. Though as I said, I stick to Optimatch which is a bit more focused. The b.net Reach forum is like the OT of NeoGAF, only not awesome.

Meh, I'm not being too serious. The Optimatch forum isn't too bad and I've spent a fair amount of time lurking the Bungie Universe section. It's just the Reach forum in particular has always been the source of unintentional humour for me and not much else. Makes me thankful that we have here and HBO.

Dani said:
Meh, I'm not being too serious. The Optimatch forum isn't too bad and I've spent a fair amount of time lurking the Bungie Universe section. It's just the Reach forum in particular has always been the source of unintentional humour for me and not much else. Makes me thankful that we have here and HBO.
Having the age limit + long acceptance period here really whittles down some of the 'worst' posters that you might see on bnet and places.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
I got you. :p

I took to posting feedback on the official feedback threads at Optimatch during one of our time-of-the-month bouts a while back and just kept it up since; it's a good place to house some detailed feedback where I (really hope) it gets seen by the right folks.

I continue to marvel at the joys that emerge from the Reach forum. It's telling that no one from Bungie posts in it.

blamite said:
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=57235448
If you signed up to be a Bungie Beta tester, surveys are going out, for eligibility, I assume. If you didn't get one, it sounds like more waves are coming soon.
Hopefully I can get in on this!

This was the only post made on the subject.

Thanks for the reply, Crucio. My friend said that the questions seemed to imply that the upcoming project is an MMORPG. Couple this with some of the comments made by Joe Staten months ago, and you start to build a case. I'm still hanging on to Brian Jarrard's words about it being an action game, though. I'd definitely be interested in playing a Bungie MMO, but I needs me some action.

If anyone here has yet to open one of these surveys, please take care to screenshot and share!

Kuroyume said:
I don't know about that. While improved over the previous games the weapons in Reach don't feel nearly as powerful as some of the other games not to mention that some of the guns shoot purple needles and green stuff... I don't think games look right when they mix colorful with violent.

Edit: Damn you!

I have to disagree with this. Reach actually made the color palette pretty hazy and almost washed-out in comparison to the past few games in order to make it seem darker, and the glowing colors (particularly purples and blues) work effectively to provide a separate style for the Covenant.

Bregmann Roche said:
Mavis Beacon takes over for Jen Taylor as the voice of Cortana. Instead of playing half the game as the Arbiter you instead spend every other level playing Math Blaster. Everyone crashes TypoGAF to complain about Caps Lock slowing down game play.

It's a beautiful future. One I want to be a part of.
First off, laughed my ass off at Caps Lock. I'm more of an Up Arrow Key guy myself, so I can understand how fucking overpowered it is. I mean, you're just typing as fast as you can, and then a Caps Locker just does everything way faster than you could. Idea for nerfs:
-Enable StickyKeys after three seconds of CapsLocking
-Make CapsLock function as a Shift key with delay time
-Make CapsLock ONLY apply to the first letter of a word after the first word

Just some ideas, but yeah, this game needs a Title Update bad.

A27_StarWolf said:
New Alexandria Firefight Level
I would love this, but one thing: you need to be able to hear the elevator music at some point in the map, possibly having a starting point be an elevator. Also, I would want Club Errera to be a separate firefight map, possibly with Never Surrender in the background or something.

GhaleonEB

Zee-V70 said:
I would love this, but one thing: you need to be able to hear the elevator music at some point in the map, possibly having a starting point be an elevator. Also, I would want Club Errera to be a separate firefight map, possibly with Never Surrender in the background or something.
Incidentally, Club Errera is a Firefight map - from ODST. It's Crater. I kept expecting it to be an unlockable or something, as it's a great Firefight space.

B3ASTMODE

so is this a new helmet? ive never seen it before.
6qcqwx.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
Incidentally, Club Errera is a Firefight map - from ODST. It's Crater. I kept expecting it to be an unlockable or something, as it's a great Firefight space.
Yeah, I know. That's exactly why I would want it as one. Or, even better, make a Club and a Club Night: one during the daytime BEFORE the major covenant invasion, with buildings still intact and it looking fairly peaceful--just have Covenant just getting there. Club Night would be the one from New Alexandria.

B3ASTMODE said:
so is this a new helmet? ive never seen it before.
vasistas.jpg

From the last weekly update:

"There is no new armor coming with the Defiant Map Pack. On March 15th, you can look forward to three new maps: Condemned (supports 6 - 12 players), Highlands (supports 8 - 16 players), and Unearthed (supports up to 4 players in Firefight mode)."

My guess is that it's either disc-locked content (like the Blue Flaming Helmet Armor Effect) or that it is an alternate build of the game that Certain Affinity or 343 Industries was using to take promotional screenshots.

HiredN00bs said:

"There is no new armor coming with the Defiant Map Pack. On March 15th, you can look forward to three new maps: Condemned (supports 6 - 12 players), Highlands (supports 8 - 16 players), and Unearthed (supports up to 4 players in Firefight mode)."
Just gonna throw it out there again, but that applies strictly to the Defiant DLC. They could have said "There is no new armour coming to Reach, ever!" which is what we all expected but they didn't... I believe they have their reasons.

Crucio

HiredN00bs said:

My guess is that it's either disc-locked content (like the Blue Flaming Helmet Armor Effect) or that it is an alternate build of the game that Certain Affinity or 343 Industries was using to take promotional screenshots.

I think its a locked feature. This screenshot is either huge mistake or a hint that there are still some unfound secrets in the disc.

GhaleonEB

Zee-V70 said:
Yeah, I know. That's exactly why I would want it as one. Or, even better, make a Club and a Club Night: one during the daytime BEFORE the major covenant invasion, with buildings still intact and it looking fairly peaceful--just have Covenant just getting there. Club Night would be the one from New Alexandria.
My dream was it to be a normally lit map, but fire up the disco lights during the boss waves, and instead of normal drum-heavy boss music, play the techno from Campaign. Alas.
HiredN00bs said:
How do you know?
hax

HiredN00bs said:
How do you know?
They unlocked everything on the disc already, much like all the map packs on Halo 3 were revealed by looking in the disc info before the second-to-last one even came out. If they can't find that helmet in there, it's not usable unless they pull something significant.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:

The Battle for Reach Rages on in 2012 with the “Halo: Reach” Errera Firefight Map Pack!
Three new multiplayer battlefields arrive for the most critically acclaimed shooter of 2010!

Spartans, ready your assault rifles and prepare to take the fight to old fronts! The Covenant crushed human defenses on Reach, but the fight for humanity’s survival still rages on in three old battlefields set on the doomed planet. With maps set on giant skyscrapers high above the burning New Alexandria, a hidden nightclub inside a giant skyscraper, and outside entrance to an ONI building, the Errera Firefight Map Pack brings awesome new environments for Firefight matches.

Club Errera: Club Errera was a night club in the city of New Alexandria on Reach, located in the top floors of the Vyrant Telecom Tower, one of the city's skyscrapers. During the Fall of Reach in August 2552, the Covenant placed a communications jammer in the club. The jammer was later destroyed by SPARTAN-B312. The Brute have packed up their DJ equipment but the music hasn't stopped!

Errera Building: A recreation of the Crater Firefight map from Halo 3: ODST, based on Dare's crash site in Tayari Plaza , originally set in the city of New Mombasa but now taking place on the streets of New Alexandria! A relatively small map, with elevated outer edges surrounding a center area placed considerably lower than the rest, creating a crater shape.

New New Alexandria (featuring the building containing Club Errera!): New Alexandria was a metropolitan city located at Eposz on the human colony world of Reach. During the Raid of New Alexandria, it became the target of a Covenant attack during the Fall of Reach in 2552, and was defended by Noble Team. Although civilian transports successfully evacuated the city thanks to the efforts of Noble Six, the city was ultimately glassed by the Covenant. Transport back in time and save the Club Errera building and surrounding skyscrapers from an endless Covenant assault!

Created in partnership with Certain Affinity, the Errera Firefight Map Pack will be available next year on Xbox LIVE for 1400 Microsoft points, and will include all new Achievements worth a total of 43 Gamerscore. Eager for a first look at the brand new multiplayer maps? Be sure to check out the explosive world premiere trailer of the Errera Firefight Map Pack available this Autumn on Halo Waypoint and Halo.Xbox.com.

The prequel to the bestselling Xbox franchise of all time, “Halo: Reach” is the top-rated shooter of 2010 and one of the must-have entertainment experiences of this generation. To date, more than 40 million copies of “Halo” games have been sold worldwide, driving more than 3.3 billion hours of gameplay by people connected to Xbox LIVE.

:eek:

Sibylus

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
There's generally more armor lock supporters on Bnet.
When you end up making this, definitely include a section on possible ways to improve the ability. Back and forths are interesting, but kinda incomplete without what-ifs.

Zee-V70 said:
They unlocked everything on the disc already, much like all the map packs on Halo 3 were revealed by looking in the disc info before the second-to-last one even came out. If they can't find that helmet in there, it's not usable unless they pull something significant.
1. Who is they?

2. Where is this information cataloged?

3. I was under the impression that even people who modify the game don't have the ability to access things like the Bonus Content becuase it requires a key from Xbox Live. Why can't this fall into that category of disc-locked content?

Crucio

Then that armor is either a photoshop or somehow downloaded and integrated into the game later on.
I've read the posts about how impossible it is to add stuff like this to the game, I'm still not convinced.

Gui_PT

xxjuicesxx said:
GG's Bagel (Welcome back to Halo) MonoGuy, Dani, and Fhive. Most intense Asylum game ever for some reason. Followed by my 6th Perfection

Yeah good games. It's great to have a team you can communicate with.

That map is actually pretty nice. Especially for Mongoose+Shotgun :lol

MrBig

HiredN00bs said:
3. I was under the impression that even people who modify the game don't have the ability to access things like the Bonus Content becuase it requires a key from Xbox Live. Why can't this fall into that category of disc-locked content?
Trust me, there is nothing else in the form of armor that you have not seen. Keys and everything else is irrelevant.

As has already been discussed, this is most likely a result of someone at 343/CA with too much time on their time that decided to have some fun with their internal builds of the game. Along with the issue of not being able to fully implement the new armor into the game. I'm not going to bother explaining this again.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
MrBig said:
Trust me, there is nothing else in the form of armor that you have not seen. Keys and everything else is irrelevant.

As has already been discussed, this is most likely a result of someone at 343/CA with too much time on their time that decided to have some fun with their internal builds of the game. Along with the issue of not being able to fully implement the new armor into the game. I'm not going to bother explaining this again.

I'd say you're most likely right or there about. Wouldn't be surprised if someone got in trouble for it.

Dani said:
I'd say you're most likely right or there about. Wouldn't be surprised if someone got in trouble for it.
It wasn't as if the spartan just happened to be in shot. It was the clear subject of the media screenshot (that would have been decided upon to use in the marketing campaign by a different person altogether). That's two slip-ups too many for what might have been a bit of fun from some 343i/CA employee...

I.. I don't knw what to think anymore!

Blueblur1

There's no fucking way that there isn't going to be new armor. In fact, I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that there are gonna be 2 or 3 new helmets included in the Defiant Map Pack.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hydranockz said:
It wasn't as if the spartan just happened to be in shot. It was the clear subject of the media screenshot (that would have been decided upon to use in the marketing campaign by a different person altogether). That's two slip-ups too many for what might have been a bit of fun from some 343i/CA employee...

I.. I don't knw what to think anymore!

So it's either a cocktease without a payoff, or a spectacular balls up.

Think about the attention the silly armour received when folks should have been hyped about the maps instead, I doubt they intended to have folks talking about rainbow helmets instead of how sweet the maps seem to be.

The the Bungie forums are erupting in heated, troll posts with folks angry at Bungie and praising 343i for "saving" Halo, expecting title updates and new vidmasters.

It's been a crazy ride for Halo fans over these past few weeks reagrdless. Crazy times.

Blueblur1 said:
There's no fucking way that there isn't going to be new armor. In fact, I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that there are gonna be 2 or 3 new helmets included in the Defiant Map Pack.

Are you a betting man? =)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Blueblur1 said:

Prepare to lose a limb. :p

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Blueblur1 said:
Did you see bs angel's quote on this matter?

Dani said:
Is there anything in Reach you particularly like? Or is it all rose and brown coloured sunshine happiness for you?

Surely there must be a few things that rub you the wrong way?

Why whatever do you mean? hahah I do.

BTB, I really miss Halo 3's big team.

I don't really like Armor Lock in Team Slayer, I just don't tend to be as vocal about it, complaining just makes the game less fun, and I play because its fun. So I hope thats a good explanation :p?

Falagard

Blueblur1 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if 343 is working on a Title Update that includes new armor, but it won't be part of the Defiant Map pack.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Resistance 3 said:
For instance – each player can choose and level different support abilities – such as a Bubble Shield, Ammo Beacon (give ammo to teammates) or Radar Beacon (enhance your team’s radar). There are also tactical abilities you can use against your enemies, such as the Doppelganger (projects an image of you nearby to distract enemies) or Dash (an explosive burst of speed to evade enemy attacks).

Flattery or what? =)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Laszlo I joined your party and you weren't there. I didn't accept your invite right away because I was capturing a match.

Tawpgun

NullPointer said:
I wish more games were trying to emulate Halo than COD, but mostly for campaign, co-op, and AI.

+ lack of ADS.

If you want to add ADS do it like Bulletstorm did. You have pretty good hip fire accuracy (hell the pistol is accurate as a sniper from the hip) and the ADS is for that added precision, zoom, slow sensitivity and movement.

I hate games like CoD that portray their players always more or less holding the gun properly, but when they don't aim down their sights the bullets pray outward at like 45 degree angles from the gun. No.

Hey You said:
Thank You for putting two Recruits on my Team in Team Objective.

Can't really blame trueskill for a playlist with 800 people in it. Unless you want it to make it impossible to find a match, in which case they would just have to remove the playlist.

I have a 4 day weekend coming up so hopefully I will be able to get a couple games in. Has to have been over a month since I have touched Reach.

My sources tell me that Cocop still plays due to contractual obligations so hopefully I will be able to get a few games in with him.

Top Bottom