• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Kawl_USC

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=506391211&player=Kawl

So can we talk about how stupid it is to have evade, sword, AND shotgun in Countdown for Arena?

Cause it's stupid. I mean its great fun when I'm the guy getting 27 kills and an open season by rolling around shooting mans in the face, but its much less fun when on the other team. I just don't understand the decision. I mean sword and shotgun were already bad enough on there, but throw in evade.... yea.

Fake Edit: Well looking at the overall stats of the guys on the other team, it seems the problem of shotgun/evade was compounded by the way Arena matchmaking sucks at the beginning of a season, which seems to be another problem in itself.

urk said:
believeurk.jpg

Nothing is impossible, but we aren't adding new armory items.

I have no first hand knowledge about the helmet that appears in the Defiant press shots. The lines delivered in the update were provided courtesy of 343i. Also, you misspelled the word armor.

urk
butthole fishhooking yes
(Today, 02:52 PM)
Reply | Quote

MESSAGE RECEIVED, ANNIE

Kawl_USC

A27_StarWolf said:
To address the BTB question. I think the DMR and Sniper do way to much damage to vehicles.

I don't know about this there are few things more frustrating in this world then the other team having 2 Revenants, 2 Ghosts, 2 Warthogs, and a Wraith donging on your base when you have nothing. 5 guys shooting at a vehicle together with DMR's should do massive to anything short of a Wraith in my opinion. Otherwise it'd be impossible to do anything and would just get base camped for the whole game.

Kawl_USC said:
I don't know about this there are few things more frustrating in this world then the other team having 2 Revenants, 2 Ghosts, 2 Warthogs, and a Wraith donging on your base when you have nothing. 5 guys shooting at a vehicle together with DMR's should do massive to anything short of a Wraith in my opinion. Otherwise it'd be impossible to do anything and would just get base camped for the whole game.

I feel that chances are if this is happening, the team you are facing is no doubt Superior to you in tactics, and skill.

Sometimes that is the way the cookie should crumble, sometimes you get pounded on by kids.

PNut

Banned
My guess is they thought that adding Evade, Jetpack and Swords would give it a feeling more like Team Slayer and that might turn more peoples eye towards it. Idk, but both those AA's have no place in the Arena.

Kawl_USC

A27_StarWolf said:
I feel that chances are if this is happening, the team you are facing is no doubt Superior to you in tactics, and skill.

Sometimes that is the way the cookie should crumble, sometimes you get pounded on by kids.

Except you know not. They were better at vehicle handling and that was it. However because beyond the sniper there is no decent anti vehicle options available in BTB on Hemorrhage we couldn't do shit to them. And this was playing with a group of 8 in BTB not some randoms. This type of vehicle domination has happened a couple of times to us, and we lost one of the games 1-0, and actually won one of them due to getting some shotguns and making them confront us in actual gun fights in the base. So obviously there weren't superior to us in skill.

A27_StarWolf said:

I agree with this. If the other team manages to steal all of your vehicles, then you probably deserve to get destroyed until you manage to take one back or grab a power weapon.

I guess I just miss the days of Halo 2 Multi, when all vehicles had to fear were the Rockets and a well-thrown plasma grenade. I can certainly understand the need for more anti-vehicle options than that.

Maybe make vehicles stronger against DMR and sniper fire, but add a plasma launcher at each base on Hemorrhage (with only a few shots). I really liked Valhalla's mix of the Spartan Laser struggle with the easier grab (but limited use) of the Missile Pod. The Power Drainer, Plasma Pistol and Plama Grenade combos falling somewhere in the middle.

A27_StarWolf said:

So what you're telling me, is that it's fun for one team to get all the vehicles and spam fire on mid field spawners and at base entrances all game? That sounds like tons of fun! I'm sure no one would quit because it's so fun! God forbid there be a counter to vehicles and a sniper doesn't exactly over power several vehicles. If you're superior in skill and tactics, shouldn't be that hard to have everyone go after the sniper, eh?

Grenades don't do jack shit to warthogs and other large vehicles so what do you propose people fight back with when there's multiple vehicles racing down on your team? Whoever gets all the vehicles first should automatically win?

Squall ASF said:
So what you're telling me, is that it's fun for one team to get all the vehicles and spam fire on mid field spawners and at base entrances all game? That sounds like tons of fun! I'm sure no one would quit because it's so fun! God forbid there be a counter to vehicles and a sniper doesn't exactly over power several vehicles. If you're superior in skill and tactics, shouldn't be that hard to have everyone go after the sniper, eh?

Grenades don't do jack shit to warthogs and other large vehicles so what do you propose people fight back with when there's multiple vehicles racing down on your team? Whoever gets all the vehicles first should automatically win?

Sarcasm isn't very becoming.

If they manage to get you in that situation your team is probably not as good as theirs.

Events like this have been taking place in Halo since Halo CE.

Kawl_USC

A27_StarWolf said:

If they manage to get you in that situation your team is probably not as good as theirs.

Or you know they just managed to win the first vehicle battle (which can happen due to unlucky driving, lack of team work, and a whole slew of other issues besides just skill) and then pushed that advantage which then lets them camp the base and then grab your vehicles on the respawn, or just kill people as they hop in to vehicles a few at a time. But nah, its completely balanced you're right.

A27_StarWolf said:

Sarcasm is godly.

It's not as simple as saying a team is superior because they snagged most of the vehicles at one point but that's another issue. My question is do you think it's a fun match if one team gets the vehicles at the beginning and spawn kills the rest of the game/force the other team to cower in the base because DMR's and Snipers have been nerfed to hell (per your plea)? Do you, in essence, feel the match should be decided right at the beginning because a team won one vehicle battle? That the other team should have absolutely no chance at fighting their way back? You didn't even suggest subbing out for plasma launchers or some other alternative like one poster did. It comes off as though you just want to be able to drive around in your invincible tank and rack up 100 kills on players stuck with AR's.

You have to balance things, man.

Squall ASF said:
Sarcasm is godly.

It's not as simple as saying a team is superior because they snagged most of the vehicles at one point but that's another issue. My question is do you think it's a fun match if one team gets the vehicles at the beginning and spawn kills the rest of the game/force the other team to cower in the base because DMR's and Snipers have been nerfed to hell (per your plea)? Do you, in essence, feel the match should be decided right at the beginning because a team won one vehicle battle? That the other team should have absolutely no chance at fighting their way back? You didn't even suggest subbing out for plasma launchers or some other alternative like one poster did. It comes off as though you just want to be able to drive around in your invincible tank and rack up 100 kills on players stuck with AR's.

You have to balance things, man.

Sarcasm is a crutch.

Well why did your team rush out to the middle? That seems like a poor strategy.

Sure send someone to get the plasma launcher but really?

Perhaps a Laser should be put in the Plasma Launchers place. However I still believe that when these situations occur, more than likely lack of skill is involved.

A27_StarWolf said:
So fucking true. I can't count the amount of times that a BTB game starts and I hop into a Warthog gunner seat and NOBODY drives at all. And then there are games where people completely ignore the Wraith until we're getting destroyed by theirs and then it's like "herp we still have our Wraith derp". All the while 6/8 people are rushing for the Sniper.

Of course this might have something to do with vehicle combat in Reach just not being as fun as previous games as well so people don't want to go for them. Which leads us back to Bungle please fix Reach vehicles, kthnx.

A27_StarWolf said:
Sarcasm is a crutch.

Sure send someone to get the plasma launcher but really?

Perhaps a Laser should be put in the Plasma Launchers place. However I still believe that when these situations occur, more than likely lack of skill is involved.
Perhaps for some, but sarcasm gives me wiiiiiings.

My team ran to the middle? Perhaps you're confusing me for someone else? I think someone else was referencing their match. I mentioned people *spawning* in the field and geting blasted instantly if that's what you mean. I was just saying that if you try to take away the Sniper, what will replace it as a viable option to counter vehicles? If you nerf it, still need a viable option to counter vehicles. If you place a laser on the base, sure, that will work. I'm guessing more people would prefer the sniper than the laser though. Wasn't very popular around here during Halo 3 ;) I know what you mean by the skill disparity but it's still ironic because it takes more skill to destroy a vehicle than to kill with a vehicle (sans ordinance weapons).

Kuroyume

Banned
Been bitching about evade since forever. It's the worst in Multi Team. Amazing to see that they would pull out AL from Arena but then have Evade in there. They are equal.

Evade with a sword lunge... It's the type of thing that makes you question what they're thinking over there.

Schmitty

Evade ruins this game more than armor lock. Everytime someone gets down to one shot they evade back into cover. Unless the enemy doesn't have evade it's near impossible to cross map. Evade needs to go. It just looks way too unnatural on a Spartan.

Schmitty said:
It just looks way too unnatural on a Spartan.
I don't see how it looks anymore unnatural than how Gears of War characters jump around.

However I do think that it changes Halo gameplay too much, and I predict that Evade in The Arena will become over centralizing and make for stagnant gameplay. Whether it's overpowered or not remains to be seen as more people adapt to it and adopt it into their playstyles, but I predict it will be.

equil

Schmitty said:
Evade ruins this game more than armor lock. Everytime someone gets down to one shot they evade back into cover. Unless the enemy doesn't have evade it's near impossible to cross map. Evade needs to go. It just looks way too unnatural on a Spartan.

I think it should be used like a power weapon pickup, the way it is in mlg.

Tawpgun

I don't really think its so much the weapon damage/vehicle defense (except in the case of the banshee, that thing is weak as hell, and the sniper is too powerful vs vehicles)

It's the entire vehicle health model. It's really dumb to go for one round around the enemy base and come back with half your warthog chipped away and on fire. And you can't do shit about it.

If there was some way to repair vehicles it could be better, but right now its going around for one pass in enemy territory and thats it. Because if you come back you die from 3 DMR bullets, despite your shield strength.

I've seen people abandon warthogs because they were on fire.

Blueblur1

Evade can be really cheap. I know because I use it all the time. I had a crazy good Double Team match on Countdown the other day where all I would do is evade, lunge with sword, evade, lunge with sword, etc. I was laughing at all the crazy kills I was getting away with.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
ncsuDuncan said:
Whoa, is Halo: Reach going to Games On Demand already?

Hadn't heard that anywhere else, maybe it's a typo?
That's pretty fast, considering Modern Warfare 2 was only added last month.
Well it being first party I imagine has something to do with it.

GhaleonEB

Blueblur1 said:
Evade can be really cheap. I know because I use it all the time. I had a crazy good Double Team match on Countdown the other day where all I would do is evade, lunge with sword, evade, lunge with sword, etc. I was laughing at all the crazy kills I was getting away with.
I think, as with the other AA's, it has its time and place. Specifically, I'd like to see it contained to Elites only. (And likewise, the bubble shield removed from MP and kept in Firefight/Campaign.)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Pinnacle is such an incredibly cheap map for Team Snipers.

edit: Why hasn't The Cage been replaced with Uncaged on Team Snipers?

vhfive

Plywood said:
Pinnacle is such an incredibly cheap map for Team Snipers.

edit: Why hasn't The Cage been replaced with Uncaged on Team Snipers?
or in SWAT? A better question is why is The Cage in MM at all?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
vhfive said:
or in SWAT? A better question is why is The Cage in MM at all?
Asking for it to be removed would be unfair to all the people who love this build-a-block abomination.

Kuroyume

Banned
Sai-kun said:
RESERVING THIS POST FOR WHEN I FIND AN IMAGE APPROPRIATE FOR MY REPONSE

MDtYL.gif

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
In Bungie we trust.
Indeed. But it's Activision publishing. I don't want to have to bend over every month, but if Bungie can pull it off, they'll have a whole lotta people doing so. Activision has said they want to move shooters to a subscription model. I'd assumed CoD would do it, but it might be Bungie's game instead.

kylej

Banned
Took Bungie 3 years and millions of dollars to make a 4 hour long campaign and 8 multiplayer maps out of the same assets. How long will their MMO dev cycle be, 450 years?

vhfive

Plywood said:
Asking for it to be removed would be unfair to all the people who love this build-a-block abomination.

I just checked and The Cage is in Rumble Pit, Living Dead (lol who cares), Team Slayer, SWAT, Team Snipers, and Team Objective. Uncaged is only in Team Slayer. Bungie knows that Uncaged is better than The Cage so why hasn't it just replaced The Cage in every playlist. Instead they just added it to Team Slayer and didn't take The Cage out (now we have double the chance of playing Reach's worst map).

ps I still hate Uncaged. It's still shitty just not as shitty

Top Bottom