• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

While I believe Bungie on the subject of helmets in the Defiant map pack, I'm frankly astounded that they claimed previously it's impossible to add more armour via DLC. I mean that is such a simple hook when so much of your 'reward' mechanism hinges on people having occasional new shinies rather than new equipment or guns. At this point my Spartan looks pretty much exactly like I want, and I'm only a Brigadier. Apart from seeing the little badges change, I have almost no interest in cR or levelling up anymore, if I ever did.

Shake Appeal said:
While I believe Bungie on the subject of helmets in the Defiant map pack, I'm frankly astounded that they claimed previously it's impossible to add more armour via DLC. I mean that is such a simple hook when so much of your 'reward' mechanism hinges on people having occasional new shinies rather than new equipment or guns. At this point my Spartan looks pretty much exactly like I want, and I'm only a Brigadier. Apart from seeing the little badges change, I have almost no interest in cR or levelling up anymore, if I ever did.
Yeah, same here. It's been over a week since I last completed a challenge, I think. I stopped caring about them now that I'm relatively happy with the way my Spartan looks.

Blue Ninja said:
Something's been bugging me about Reach's campaign, and especially "Winter Contingency". I played it on co-op once, and when the door of the Relay station closed behind us, I heard Carter say: "We need to find the control room. From there, Kat can get the relay back online. Emile, post here. If we flush any hostiles, they're yours. All right, let's do this."

However, before that, and ever since then, I've never heard it in any of my solo games. Ever. Carter just stares at me like an idiot and then takes off, and Emile stays behind without being ordered to. Maybe it has something to do with being a PAL copy or something?
A follow-up from my previous post: I just ran Winter Contingency from Rally Point Bravo, and Carter did say the line. Very strange. It has something to do with dialog triggers, dem bastards.

Also noticed on Winter Contingency that Jorge's animations and the dialog with the civilians often aren't synced. He'll be waving his turret in the air while talking calmly, and then run off while yelling them to get back inside. Kat also often doesn't say her "Server room, go easy"-line inside the relay outpost.

Blueblur1 said:
No, I did not.

And if there isn't any new armor then teasing us with one is not cool.

She said that new armors weren't in the defiant map pack, not that they didn't exist at all.

I'm with Falagard on this one, there's some kind of TU on the way that will contain some new armors.

Hey You

Like Evil Otto said on BNet in regards to Armor Via DLC, To add new armors to the game would require a 9 GB Title Update. Honestly who has the space for that?

Hey You said:
Like Evil Otto said on BNet in regards to Armor Via DLC, To add new armors to the game would require a 9 GB Title Update. Honestly who has the space for that?

I'd gladly nuke my installation of Reach for that.

Hmm, there's still something afoot. I don't buy Dani's assertion that this was an internal mess up at all, if we had I feel like we'd see some clarification there. But who knows, he plays with the 343 guys so maybe he has an inside track.

The composition of the shots, and the reactions I've seen to the by 343 employees, makes me think that this was intentional though, and that we will figure it out sooner, rather than later.

GhaleonEB

electricpirate said:
I'd gladly nuke my installation of Reach for that.

Hmm, there's still something afoot. I don't buy Dani's assertion that this was an internal mess up at all, if we had I feel like we'd see some clarification there. But who knows, he plays with the 343 guys so maybe he has an inside track.

The composition of the shots, and the reactions I've seen to the by 343 employees, makes me think that this was intentional though, and that we will figure it out sooner, rather than later.
And while I hesitate to read too much into it, Frankie was decidedly evasive when directly asked about it.

I think they were teasing something, but that we won't know what that something is for a while yet.

Crucio

Seems unlikely that anyone would release a TU that large. Honestly though, do these people who claim that adding armor would need such resources, actually have evidence that Reach is built this way?
If not then perhaps the game is ready for content updates such as armor and equipment.

Others have said that all content in disc has already been revealed. This is believable because of modding abilities that have been proven before.

And if the screenshots where mistakes, then wouldn't they have been removed rather quickly?

Also I don't think this is within reason: "someone tampering with the reach engine inside 343i and took a screenshot of it". If that did happened however, then adding armor can't be that hard.

So I ask again where does that armor come from?
Since I have seen no evidence that the game is "un-editable":
Personally I think the most probable answer is a Title Update from 343I/CA perhaps coming this Spring. The update would not be as large as the whole game.

equil

Hey You said:

Maybe thats just the catch, if you really want more armors then free up 9gb of storage.

That would take so long to download though.

Obviously they're teasing Halo: Reach: GAF Edition, a disc-based rerelease (Q2 2012).

Features:
- 5 player Firefight (Matchmaking only, max party size 1, idle detection off)

- 1 new helmet in the Armory, unlocking by earning the "Quitters DO Prosper" Achievement (Quit 10 Matchmaking games in 10 minutes).

- Activating the "Toggle crouch" option allows you to Armor Lock by pressing in the left thumbstick. This can be combined with any other AA, and you can now Armor Lock in midair (while jetpacking, too!)

- Invisible walls and "Return to Battlefield" soft kill zones have all been removed... and replaced with shield doors and kill balls.

- Rocket Hog Race has been added to every playlist, including The Arena.

- Weapon pickup has been disabled in Firefight Limited. (Firefight Arcade is still safe.)

- Community Forge maps have been integrated into Campaign. All of them, not just the good ones.

- Reticule Bloom has been removed. Bullet spread blooms exactly as it did in normal Reach, the Reticule just doesn't change any more.

Hey You said:
Like Evil Otto said on BNet in regards to Armor Via DLC, To add new armors to the game would require a 9 GB Title Update.
To have a gap like that seems bizarre to me. Why in the requirements phase of development did someone not say "Hey, why don't we program this in a fashion to support possible armour additions?". Assuming they did, why were they shot down?

The only issue that I think Armour would create is that everyone would need to download the data via XBLM or a TU so that everyone could see it.

Gui_PT

If it does require a 9GB TU there's no way they're doing it.

A huuuge percentage of people don't have 9gb of free space on their hard drives, which would make it impossible for those people to continue playing the game.

feel

Seems silly that once again they didn't leave the necessary hooks in place to easily add new armor parts post-release, like other devs do.

Crucio said:
They could just put up a title update, these things are done automatically and are forced downloaded.
Yes they could. Except that would likely halve their player population.

Everything I am about to say is based off of speculation.

If they were to add helmets/armour/effects/etc they would need to re-distribute every single .map file again with the new tags in it. All together those map files are pushing close to 10GB. I personally used to have internet that had a 10GB MONTHLY internet cap. If I still had that I simply could not download the TU. No way in hell am I going to pay crazy overage fee's for a TU. The other portion of players that do have the bandwidth may not even have the space on their HDD to fit a 9GB TU.

The only two things I could see is they either:
a) Figured out how to patch .map files without a full re-download.
b) Figured out a way to add tag files to the share.map file. (un-likely)

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
Firefight Day, yo.
I do love them so. But I wish they were a bit meatier. Today's feel...perfunctory. I fell two kills short of getting all four in a single game of 2X Attack on Corvette (and would have gotten it, had a Brute not blown up himself and two buddies by punching a fusion core).

I wish we saw Firefight Challenges like, earn 10 assassinations in a Firefight Round without dying. Not possible, though.

Havok

equil said:
Maybe thats just the catch, if you really want more armors then free up 9gb of storage.

That would take so long to download though.
I don't think players on different versions of maps could play together, just like players on different title update versions can't play together. What would the players without the update see even if it worked?

equil

Havok said:
I don't think players on different versions of maps could play together, just like players on different title update versions can't play together. What would the players without the update see even if it worked?

I doubt the 9gb update would actually go through but say for instance if they didnt have the update they would just see the person with default armor?

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
I do love them so. But I wish they were a bit meatier. Today's feel...perfunctory. I fell two kills short of getting all four in a single game of 2X Attack on Corvette (and would have gotten it, had a Brute not blown up himself and two buddies by punching a fusion core).

I wish we saw Firefight Challenges like, earn 10 assassinations in a Firefight Round without dying. Not possible, though.

Hire Ghaleon!

And why the hell are you guys so interested in new armory pieces?

Let's be honest here. You've probably never used most of the pieces you bought. And if you did, it was just for a week or two(and I'm being generous with those numbers). Is it really that important to have a new helmet you'll only wear for a few days?

It just doesn't make sense to release a 9GB TU because most people(or at least a large number of them) don't have that much free space.

Gui_PT said:
Hire Ghaleon!

And why the hell are you guys so interested in new armory pieces?

Let's be honest here. You've probably never used most of the pieces you bought. And if you did, it was just for a week or two(and I'm being generous with those numbers). Is it really that important to have a new helmet you'll only wear for a few days?

It just doesn't make sense to release a 9GB TU because most people(or at least a large number of them) don't have that much free space.

I was wondering the same thing, I would rather have a vehicle strength boost so BTB was more fun.

Striker

A27_StarWolf said:
I was wondering the same thing, I would rather have a vehicle strength boost so BTB was more fun.
You mean the 10 million modes of Slayer and Headhunter isn't your ideal BTB experience?

That's the main concern of BTB right now, and having the likes of Countdown and Drop Shield loadouts.

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
You mean the 10 million modes of Slayer and Headhunter isn't your ideal BTB experience?

That's the main concern of BTB right now, and having the likes of Countdown and Drop Shield loadouts.
Yeah, it's the game types. I keep thinking about the 8 v 8 game of Team Crazy King with the hill moving every 30 seconds on Boneyard I had in BTB not too long ago. I would describe the entire experience as inexplicable.

It's a prime candidate to illustrate why having game types with a standard setting across all maps doesn't work and why they need to be ajusted for each.

But more than that I kept wondering what happended to BTB that I was playing Crazy King with 16 players on a huge map where the hill moves every 30 seconds. Not Neutral Assault or One-Bomb or Assault or One-Flag or CTF or...

I think I preferred Halo 3's veto system over Reach's. With Reach's, everyone will almost always choose slayer. Or maybe that's because objective gametypes aren't given more weight.

Sai-kun

Banned
Devin Olsen said:
Yes they could. Except that would likely halve their player population.

Everything I am about to say is based off of speculation.

If they were to add helmets/armour/effects/etc they would need to re-distribute every single .map file again with the new tags in it. All together those map files are pushing close to 10GB. I personally used to have internet that had a 10GB MONTHLY internet cap. If I still had that I simply could not download the TU. No way in hell am I going to pay crazy overage fee's for a TU. The other portion of players that do have the bandwidth may not even have the space on their HDD to fit a 9GB TU.

The only two things I could see is they either:
a) Figured out how to patch .map files without a full re-download.
b) Figured out a way to add tag files to the share.map file. (un-likely)

Time to get a higher bandwidth cap!

I really do miss One-flag on High Ground and Zanzibar (Last Resort not so much). Asymmetrical maps designed for objective gametyps, specifically CTF.

Highlands seems like it could fill that gap, but I thought the same thing about Breakpoint and it just doesn't feel right.

I guess Breakpoint was geared more towards Invasion. (Didn't someone at 343i say that Highlands wasn't made with Invasion in mind?)

Invasion is a neat idea and I have fun with it, but the Core Capture section feels like a shadow of 1-flag CTF. Can you carry the core in a vehicle? Are there multiple paths out of the base to take towards the capture point? One of the greatest terrors was hearing "Flag stolen" on Zanzibar and not knowing which route the flag carrier was taking. And the ultimate terror was of course seeing a Warthog careening out of your base with the flag carrier in the passenger seat.

Right now it feels like only Hemorrhage provides a similar experience. Don't get me started on Paradiso.

Striker

ncsuDuncan said:
I really do miss One-flag on High Ground and Zanzibar (Last Resort not so much). Asymmetrical maps designed for objective gametyps, specifically CTF.
Great asymmetrical maps:

Lockout
Ivory Tower
Burial Mounds
Zanzibar
Turf
Relic
Terminal

Go one further. Great symmetrical maps:

Beaver Creek
Colossus
Midship
Warlock
Elongation
Sanctuary

All awesome 4v4 maps, and what made Halo 2's Team Skirmish oh-so-fucking-fun.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I think I preferred Halo 3's veto system over Reach's. With Reach's, everyone will almost always choose slayer. Or maybe that's because objective gametypes aren't given more weight.
In Halo 3, in my experience the first choice of objective was almost always vetoed; I'd say the bulk of my BTB objective experience came when a second objective game was selected after veto.

To the extent that the new veto system allows more options and player control over the game and map selection, I like it. I think objectives would be selected more were they of the more desirable varieties (there's no Assault at all, for instance). This is the list of game types:

Big Team Slayer
Big Bro Slayer
BTB Snipers
Elite Slayer
Team Headhunter
1 Flag CTF
Multiflag CTF

Stockpile
Territories​

Though it doesn't list Crazy King, which is in there. I bolded the two objectives people seem to most desire; stuff like Headhunter and Territories are poor substitutes for Neutral Assault, for instance.

How often do you see this: three BTB options come up with stuff like Crazy King, Territories on Countdown and Stockpile on Hemorrhage. Nearly everyone vetoes. And the second selection is a similar set of choices, and almost no one casts a vote for about five seconds because they're debating what the least bad option is.

Small team Asymetric stuff is great in Reach; maps that struggle in other modes really shne (Boardwalk, swordbase, and Pinnacle, I'm looking at you). The weapon balance and arming settings generally work well (2 flag settings are a hair too long, but other than that it's all good).

Untily you go into team objective, get 3 drop shields and one guy with a sword and evade camping the flag, at which point I vow to never come back to the playlist again.

I play in a casual Reach League, and we played Assault on Boardwalk, loadouts were sprint and hologram, DMR/AR starts, no Radar. Shit was just amazingly fun and intense; there were these great battles over the rocket launcher, you had to use creative jumps to get angles on people, and the game was decided in a totally epic last minute push. Shit was amazing, and if people could get those experiences in TO maybe people would play it more.

I mean, I'm on board with about 90% of bungie's decisions with regard to Reach's matchmaking and loadout setups; but the inclusion of Evade and Drop shields in objective gametypes are things which I simply don't understand. They make the game worse in every concievable way.

GhaleonEB said:
To the extent that the new veto system allows more options and player control over the game and map selection, I like it. I think objectives would be selected more were they of the more desirable varieties (there's no Assault at all, for instance). This is the list of game types:

Big Team Slayer
Big Bro Slayer
BTB Snipers
Elite Slayer
Team Headhunter
1 Flag CTF
Multiflag CTF

Stockpile
Territories​
Hm... That's true too.

Hey You

I don't know why everyone wanted Hemorrhage/Blood Gulch/whatever to come back. That map is garbage (Especially in BTB Slayer). I don't even feel motivated to leave my base unless I have a Wraith or a ghost.

equil

Hey You said:
I don't know why everyone wanted Hemorrhage/Blood Gulch/whatever to come back. That map is garbage (Especially in BTB Slayer). I don't even feel motivated to leave my base unless I have a Wraith or a ghost.

Hemorrhage is my favorite btb map. Valhalla would possible work better, but of the choices that we have, hemorrhage is my favorite.

Striker said:
I just hope for the sake of sanity they add CTF and Assault to the Classic playlist once it drops.
I hope NoF leaves out all of the Reach-specific gametypes in the Classic playlist. I've steered clear of BTB and TO because of really poor gametype selections, so fingers crossed for some of the more...uh, classic gametypes that I'll actually be able to enjoy.

Ramirez

urk said:
Banhammer does run idle detection, but its difficult to make nimble programmatic distinctions between players who are idling and players who are simply not great at the game. Two weeks ago I had to talk down an angry parent whose son had been banned for idling. After reviewing the game files, it was clear that little man wasn't gaming the system at all, he was simply terrible at Halo. Proud papa was forced to admit that his own begotten son had achieved ban worthy levels of suck at Halo. No matter how much he played, he just couldn't get a kill. In a world where we we're too careless with idle rules, we'd be banning players like Ghaleon's daughter as she took her first Halo steps into matchmaking. Catch-22's. Let me show you them. :(

Shake has a son? He's even worse than him you say?

You know what I would like to see? More gametypes where there are only one or two AA choices.

Phantom Slayer - Camo and Hologram only
Survivor Slayer - Evade and Armor Lock only

Tribes Slayer - Jetpack only
Gears Slayer - Evade only
Expert Slayer - Armor Lock only

Obviously I'm a fan of the Sprint only gametypes. I just think limiting the AA choice would allow players to make more educated guesses about what route/strategy an opponent can use. Part of this would be to allow more Forge maps to be used that would otherwise be broken by Jetpack (or useless without it).

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Shake Appeal said:
While I believe Bungie on the subject of helmets in the Defiant map pack, I'm frankly astounded that they claimed previously it's impossible to add more armour via DLC.

Nothing is impossible, but we aren't adding new armory items.

I have no first hand knowledge about the helmet that appears in the Defiant press shots. The lines delivered in the update were provided courtesy of 343i. Also, you misspelled the word armor.

urk said:

I have no first hand knowledge about the helmet that appears in the Defiant press shots. The lines delivered in the update were provided courtesy of 343i. Also, you misspelled the word armor.
Nope he didn't misspell. He only uses a nobler language.

It's carnival time in germany. I hope I'll find a dude with a Master Chief costume. He'll get a lot of free drinks from me.

urk said:

'MERICA!

american-flag.jpeg

urk said:

So no hope for the Sage Beard and Urk Red Wig armor unlocks then.

Guess we'll have to settle for the Chrome Dome armor from 343i.

Gui_PT said:
Cant right now. But I'll be available in about 3 hours if you're still on.

Anyone else interested?

I'd be up for Community Slayer in about 3 hours as well.

Crucio

Thank You urk for your comment. Gives us a little more clarity.

So we just need to hear from 343i on where that thing came from!

Falagard

urk said:

Re-arranged:

343i is adding new armory items.

Also, alternatively:

I have no hand, press helmet to deliver shot

And I think we all know what that means.

Falagard said:
Re-arranged:

343i is adding new armory items.

Also, alternatively:

I have no hand, press helmet to deliver shot

And I think we all know what that means.
Haha! This is brilliant, I nominate you Bungie double-talk translator going forward.

Top Bottom