• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Considering the amount of WOW players at Bungie, this shouldn't be a surprise.

I am annoyed though. I am wanting to play the KOTOR MMO, so if I do, and I play the Bungie MMO, then what about life and other commitments? What about other games?

I have hard choices ahead. =)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
vhfive said:
I just checked and The Cage is in Rumble Pit, Living Dead (lol who cares), Team Slayer, SWAT, Team Snipers, and Team Objective. Uncaged is only in Team Slayer. Bungie knows that Uncaged is better than The Cage so why hasn't it just replaced The Cage in every playlist. Instead they just added it to Team Slayer and didn't take The Cage out (now we have double the chance of playing Reach's worst map).

ps I still hate Uncaged. It's still shitty just not as shitty
Gotta love how it hasn't replaced it anywhere but Team Slayer. So awesome.

Also I agree.

Dani said:

I am annoyed though. I am wanting to play the KOTOR MMO, so if I do, and I play the Bungie MMO, then what about life and other commitments? What about other games?

My roommate has tv that supports PiP. My 360 slim is on top of his. Do you know how weird it is to play 2 games on the same tv at the same time??

Dani said:

KOTOR <3

Havok

vhfive said:
I just checked and The Cage is in Rumble Pit, Living Dead (lol who cares), Team Slayer, SWAT, Team Snipers, and Team Objective. Uncaged is only in Team Slayer. Bungie knows that Uncaged is better than The Cage so why hasn't it just replaced The Cage in every playlist. Instead they just added it to Team Slayer and didn't take The Cage out (now we have double the chance of playing Reach's worst map).

ps I still hate Uncaged. It's still shitty just not as shitty
It's in Double Team as well, not that it makes the existence of The Cage any less painful.

Crucio

Hydranockz said:
My roommate has tv that supports PiP. My 360 slim is on top of his. Do you know how weird it is to play 2 games on the same tv at the same time??

Wait thats possible? Wow, pretty cool, is there any lag at all on the TV itself?

Lately my buds have been wanting to play some Halo. This usually involves them wanting to do nothing but drive around in vehicles. I let them con me into joining them for some BTB. I almost never played BTB in Halo 3 and hadn't really played it seriously in Reach yet. We played a few games tonight.

To everyone that loved BTB in previous Halos:

I am sorry for your loss.

vhfive

Havok said:
It's in Double Team as well, not that it makes the existence of The Cage any less painful.
I stand corrected. It's also in Arena which makes even less sense. I thought maybe they were putting it in only TS to test it since that's the most popular playlist but if it's replaced The Cage in some playlists and not others then that just makes no goddamn sense.

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:
Anyone who got the survey already knew that.

They also asked questions about Kinect.

An MMO with Kinect support?

Seriously, they asked general gaming questions. That survey indicated nothing. You just think it did because there's been talk of a Bungie MMO for a while, so as soon as you read "MMO" on the survey your mind fooled you.

Such a serious post =\
You suck at Gears! There, that's better.

Crucio said:
Wait thats possible? Wow, pretty cool, is there any lag at all on the TV itself?
As in with inputs and things? No, not really. We were a bit desperate to play the Community playlist a while back but ended up playing MW2 instead. Only lag was from having two XBL connections on a 3mb (max) connection.

I got home from work and fell asleep for nearly 7 hours. It's almost 3am... I am not tired... I will be on Reach after I get some food :p

Crucio

Gui_PT said:

Seriously, they asked general gaming questions. That survey indicated nothing. You just think it did because there's been talk of a Bungie MMO for a while, so as soon as you read "MMO" on the survey your mind fooled you.

Such a serious post =\

Hmm I don't recall seeing Kinect related questions, maybe I whipped through it too fast.

Dani said:
Huh. Color me surprised.
Bregmann Roche said:
Lately my buds have been wanting to play some Halo. This usually involves them wanting to do nothing but drive around in vehicles. I let them con me into joining them for some BTB. I almost never played BTB in Halo 3 and hadn't really played it seriously in Reach yet. We played a few games tonight.

Your sympathy is appreciated.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:

Such a serious post =\

Actually, everyone I play with sucks, I'm usually top of the leader board.

So THAR!

Also, KZ3 is fun.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
I hope Bungie's MMO is at least as good as Huxley.

Imma be whatever class has armor lock.

Also, weren't some people here adamant about Bungie NOT working on an MMO about a week or so ago when I said the above statement?

Tashi0106 said:
I hope Bungie's MMO is at least as good as Huxley.

I'm just hoping it comes out AFTER the next Halo game because if it comes out first and it is a great game we're all going to be staring (imaginary internet staring) daggers (metaphorical) at Bungie saying things like "so THIS is what you were really working on when you should've been polishing Reach", or "I hope you're happy with your new MMO and her whore makeup!".

Cut To: all of us crying into a box of tissues with an empty half gallon of Ben and Jerry's in one hand while the other hand compulsively presses the worn-out nub on our controller that activates Armor Lock.

An MMO? an MMO!?!

:/

I was hoping the rumors weren't true. They described it as WoW in Space, yup, not feeling it at all since I have no interest in WoW or MMO's in general.

Edit: Bungie said it is not WoW in space, but some anonymous guy did.

Tawpgun

I think if it was an MMO FPS, they would have called it that. They said MMO Action Game. Note the lack of RPG as well.

Hmm...

Here's to dreaming for a Chromehounds-Esque real time war aspect.

Striker

Bregmann Roche said:

Hope you enjoyed your terrific games of regular Slayer, Bro Slayer, or the other million Slayer variants. Or the innovative concept of Headhunter on the massive BTB map Countdown. It's truly marveling.

Striker said:
Hope you enjoyed your terrific games of regular Slayer, Bro Slayer, or the other million Slayer variants.

CTF on Tempest came up...top of the list too...

what did they vote for? BigBro Slayer on Paridiso.

You already know the rest of this story:

Half of my team--the people that voted for that gametype and map--quit just a few minutes into the game.

Edited for: Ghal beat me to it. My GOD I'm sorry for all you BTB fans. Cesspool cesspool cesspool. Ugh.

Crucio

A27 Tawpgun said:
I think if it was an MMO FPS, they would have called it that. They said MMO Action Game. Note the lack of RPG as well.

Hmm...

'Tis true, they never mentioned RPG. I think a lot of us tend to think that MMO=RPG Online. When in fact most MMOs are RPGS, but Bungie's new baby is an Action game. (According to available information, it probably not going to be an RPG at all.)

A27 Tawpgun said:
That's exactly my fondest hope. Persistence dooesnt have to mean the Everquest/WoW formula at all, and you can have massive without needing everybody to share the same realtime spaces. And done right, these things could work perfectly even on *gulp* consoles.

Gotta admit, the Bungie name is the only positive here (so far), but I'm curious as hell to know what they've got in store.

Tawpgun

NullPointer said:
That's exactly my fondest hope. Persistence dooesnt have to mean the Everquest/WoW formula at all, and you can have massive without needing everybody to share the same realtime spaces. And done right, these things could work perfectly even on *gulp* consoles.

Gotta admit, the Bungie name is the only positive here (so far), but I'm curious as hell to know what they've got in store.

Okay, so what are action games? I'd consider GTA to be an action game.

Let's take it a step further. Imagine a massive world, maybe a section or an entire Galaxy. You have multiple worlds, space stations, ect. You control in 3rd person but can do over the shoulder aiming like in GTA.

They said its going to be futuristic right? Imagine GTA in space, but the world is populated by players. Maybe you can pick a faction and fight over entire planets/regions of space. Could have people being pilots, vehicle drivers, support, infantry, ect. ect.

The war would be happening in real time. Meaning you could be playing and you'd get a notification that Planet X has been taken by the Y's. Or that Planet B is under attack. Or that there is a large offensive on Planet C. (Chromehounds)

Or I could just stop having such massive expectations.

But seriously, Bungie MMO or not, someone needs to make the game I just described.

Arnie

I'm ecstatic it's an MMO, at least now nobody can accuse Bungie of playing it safe and creating another generic shooter. Once again they're going balls deep to try and popularize a genre which hasn't flourished on consoles, and judging by their track record we have every reason to be optimistic.

Arnie said:
I'm ecstatic it's an MMO, at least now nobody can accuse Bungie of playing it safe and creating another generic shooter. Once again they're going balls deep to try and popularize a genre which hasn't flourished on consoles, and judging by their track record we have every reason to be optimistic.
Optimism on HaloGaf? Get out :p

Aerospace.... not in space at all?

A27 Tawpgun said:

Let's take it a step further. Imagine a massive world, maybe a section or an entire Galaxy. You have multiple worlds, space stations, ect. You control in 3rd person but can do over the shoulder aiming like in GTA.

They said its going to be futuristic right? Imagine GTA in space, but the world is populated by players. Maybe you can pick a faction and fight over entire planets/regions of space. Could have people being pilots, vehicle drivers, support, infantry, ect. ect.

The war would be happening in real time. Meaning you could be playing and you'd get a notification that Planet X has been taken by the Y's. Or that Planet B is under attack. Or that there is a large offensive on Planet C. (Chromehounds)

But seriously, Bungie MMO or not, someone needs to make the game I just described.
Not bad. Not bad at all. :)

My vision would be direct control space battles (interceptors, cruisers, capital ships) and infantry battles (land/air/infantry) on a persistent stage. Add in your classic resource collection and delivery (real time) to beef up your faction. Include a trade system for parts, weaponry, skills, and customizations. Basically a directly controlled Eve online with all the charts replaced with fun.

If they wanted to go console centric, they could focus on co-op instance based battles that play out on a Chromehounds-like chessboard. The aggregates of player actions would unlock new fronts.

A truly ambitious take on this idea would incorporate that chessboard into a larger gamespace on the PC, with a shared universe between games (for trading, resources, and battle consequences without needing the different playerbases to share the same space.

PNut

Banned
Pfft.....I want to know what Shishka and 343 are working on. No remakes either. Hopefully, a FPS involving Master Chief, MM and Ranked playlists.

Bungie's strength has always been taking genres that were popular, but had major issues, approaching the problems differently, and coming up with lots of changes that make that genre fun in different ways.

In Marathon it was all about a story, rechargeable heatlh, weapons that had dual features, etc.

In Myth it was stripping out the resource management, and making formation and tactics a bigger part of the gameplay.

Halo took the FPS, and it made combat more enjoyable than anything else at the time, it then took the limitations of the controller and used them to make better experiences. I'm hoping they do the same for the action MMO, since no one has been able to get that one remotely right yet.

blink348

Neo Member
Maybe they fix the number one issue with MMOs: subscription fees.
Or at least for MMOs over Xbox Live, which we already pay 60 a year for.

GloveSlap

Kuroyume said:
Been bitching about evade since forever. It's the worst in Multi Team. Amazing to see that they would pull out AL from Arena but then have Evade in there. They are equal.

Evade with a sword lunge... It's the type of thing that makes you question what they're thinking over there.

Evade is horrible. There does seem to be a complete disconnect over at Bungie when it comes to balance and how people play online. I mean armor lock, spartan evade, the zero g area on the original zealot......these aren't nitpicks, they are things that any rational person can tell are broken after only a couple of minutes of play time. How do things like that get through the idea phase and make it through testing and everything?

Bregmann Roche said:
CTF on Tempest came up...top of the list too...

what did they vote for? BigBro Slayer on Paridiso.

You already know the rest of this story:

Half of my team--the people that voted for that gametype and map--quit just a few minutes into the game.

Edited for: Ghal beat me to it. My GOD I'm sorry for all you BTB fans. Cesspool cesspool cesspool. Ugh.

Sad.

Although the new voting system is amazing, sometimes I wish it didn't exist, for situations like this. You end up getting less variety sometimes because people just vote for the same few things. Why ANYONE would vote for Slayer on Paradiso over CTF Tempest is well beyond my comprehension.

Also, you get Tempest to come up in Big Team? What are your secrets and how do I learn them?

Arnie said:

I like how most people are upset that they aren't doing "Halo" all over again (sarcasm). Why people criticize a developer for trying something new and possibly trying to innovate and do things in a new way is baffling to me, especially in the day and age were once a game is successful, the publisher makes sure that endless sequels are bumped out at a rapid pace and nothing ever changes in the game (COD).

Striker

Steelyuhas said:
Sad.

Although the new voting system is amazing, sometimes I wish it didn't exist, for situations like this. You end up getting less variety sometimes because people just vote for the same few things. Why ANYONE would vote for Slayer on Paradiso over CTF Tempest is well beyond my comprehension.
Why is the voting system a problem when in reality it's the poor weightings? For example, in BTB, you will see most often Slayer, Bro Slayer and Headhunter. That's a poor formula.

scarab-pet.jpg

WOW! A Scarab pet for my Xbox live avatar. This is a must have for me :)

Still want to see the footage of the deleted Scarab level.

Steelyuhas said:
Also, you get Tempest to come up in Big Team? What are your secrets and how do I learn them?

Well, it might as well not come up. A couple games before that I played in the new Team Doubles list and get a choice between Unanchored or Reflection. Guess which one the other team picked. If you said Unanchored you are an optimist and are completely wrong.

At least make the DLC maps appear first on the list so they can win a tie. Call it an extra feature when you are advertising the map pack. Could even put a gold star next to it:

*DLC Always Wins Ties* Buy now while limitless supplies last!

Gui_PT

Well 1st Multi Team is unplayable and now Grifball.

Even if I don't have a huge host disadvantage, no one tries to score anymore. They just pick up the bomb and keep it while they try to get as many kills possible.

I'm running out of playlists to choose here, Bungie! :lol

=(

Karl2177

Anyone know how the Doubles playlist is now? I'm somewhat afraid to go in randomly with the luck of my latest string of matches and getting paired with randoms against a party.

O D I N

A27 Tawpgun said:

NullPointer said:
Not bad. Not bad at all. :)

My vision would be direct control space battles (interceptors, cruisers, capital ships) and infantry battles (land/air/infantry) on a persistent stage. Add in your classic resource collection and delivery (real time) to beef up your faction. Include a trade system for parts, weaponry, skills, and customizations. Basically a directly controlled Eve online with all the charts replaced with fun.

If they wanted to go console centric, they could focus on co-op instance based battles that play out on a Chromehounds-like chessboard. The aggregates of player actions would unlock new fronts.

A truly ambitious take on this idea would incorporate that chessboard into a larger gamespace on the PC, with a shared universe between games (for trading, resources, and battle consequences without needing the different playerbases to share the same space.

Everything you just described makes me want some on par with the action stuff you described, but as with the depth of something like X-com and/or Master of Orion. Man, do I miss those games.

An entire universe with as much depth as Moo2 (IE planets, galaxy, etc). Let me wake up a little, and maybe I can make more sense. I realize a lot of people may not know what X-Com and Master of Orion is. But those are also strategy games, may not apply to my pipe dream.

GhaleonEB

Bungie has described Halo as an action game, FWIW.

I think the new game is first person. I'll be pretty disappointed if it's not, I find first person games the most immersive.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
Bungie has described Halo as an action game, FWIW.

I think the new game is first person. I'll be pretty disappointed if it's not, I find first person games the most immersive.

Didn't we see a few screenshots a while ago? If those are from the actual game, it will be fps.

Top Bottom