• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB said:
Bungie has described Halo as an action game, FWIW.

I think the new game is first person. I'll be pretty disappointed if it's not, I find first person games the most immersive.
I dunno. The news came as a bit of an unpleasant shock to me. I'm going to try and reserve some judgment, but describing it as an MMO is a pretty sure way to convince me of not buying it. They're going to have to seriously wow me if they want my moniez.

In other news, finally got a new controller. Time to test it out on some Reach.

Bregmann Roche said:
Well, it might as well not come up. A couple games before that I played in the new Team Doubles list and get a choice between Unanchored or Reflection. Guess which one the other team picked. If you said Unanchored you are an optimist and are completely wrong.

At least make the DLC maps appear first on the list so they can win a tie. Call it an extra feature when you are advertising the map pack. Could even put a gold star next to it:

*DLC Always Wins Ties* Buy now while limitless supplies last!
Yeah, this is what I was talking earlier. I think Bungie (or 343i eventually) will need to make some playlists DLC required or else I'll never get to play the maps I want to play. Tempest is the best map in the game, and I've hardly played it.

GhaleonEB

Blue Ninja said:
I dunno. The news came as a bit of an unpleasant shock to me. I'm going to try and reserve some judgment, but describing it as an MMO is a pretty sure way to convince me of not buying it. They're going to have to seriously wow me if they want my moniez.
We have literally nothing to go on other than those three letters and "action game". I don't think we can draw a whole lot from that.

E3 is coming soon enough.

GhaleonEB said:
We have literally nothing to go on other than those three letters and "action game". I don't think we can draw a whole lot from that.

True enough. I'm not a big fan of those three letters, though.

GhaleonEB said:

They're going to walk out on Sony's stage during their E3 Press Conference. I can feel it in my bones.

Gui_PT

Hypertrooper said:
Have you seen the official Halo movie trailer on youtube already?
the screens were fakes

Who said they were fake?

I'm not saying they aren't fake, but if Bungie said they're fake, then herp de der of course they'd say that.

Blue Ninja said:
True enough. I'm not a big fan of those three letters, though.
Massively Multiplayer Online is what you engage in whenever you play Halo on XBL (minus the Score Attack mode). Just sayin'...

I called that it was going to be an MMO from day one. Activision has the experience and expertise to handle an MMO.

Next up in my list of calling things: cross-platform gameplay.

I'm curious how Microsoft is going to handle this. It doesn't have the best track record with MMOs (R.I.P. True Fantasy Live Online).

O D I N

squidhands said:
Massively Multiplayer Online is what you engage in whenever you play Halo on XBL (minus the Score Attack mode). Just sayin'...

Quoted for truth.

The difference is the format that said games are presented in.

I'm glad that it's not going to be WoW in space. I'd be bored to death with something like that. I'm really hoping it'll be like Huxley was supposed to be.

Speaking of Huxley, whatever happened to that game? I remember hearing/reading about it maybe 5 years ago. Now: Nothing.

O D I N said:
Speaking of Huxley, whatever happened to that game? I remember hearing/reading about it maybe 5 years ago. Now: Nothing.

Apparently, the publishing duties have been transferred to another company. The darn game is still in closed beta (although I read on Game Informer's comment board that it's in open beta).

I was really excited for that game ... four years ago.

Detox

Just wanted to say hi to HaloGaf. Been a long time lurker and joined for the Halo discussion etc but Reach really put me off Halo, bloom is awful. Crouching in a Halo game to reduce bloom and the slower gameplay doesn't suit multiplayer although it's fun in firefight and campaign. Reach was supposed to be the game to replace Halo 3 for me for the next 3 years but as soon as a new multiplayer game drops I'm leaving Reach.

As to Bungie's next game being an MMO I'm excited if anyone can make MMO's work on consoles Bungie can. I just hope Sage gets nowhere near it, I'm surprised he managed to kill both competitive Halo with bloom and casual gametypes such as BTB with the terrible vehicle damage system.

Anyway glad to be a part of HaloGaf.

NOKYARD

Gui_PT said:
Well 1st Multi Team is unplayable and now Grifball.

Even if I don't have a huge host disadvantage, no one tries to score anymore. They just pick up the bomb and keep it while they try to get as many kills possible.
7echnicolor said:
Yep. Definitely Grifball. It's also good for the weekly challenge.
…annnnnd, there you have it.

All should be back to normal on Monday.

Kujo

Hope we get a list of the new cheesements in the WU

20G Armor Lockin - Deny an enemy 10 times in one multiplayer match
40G We're Sorry - Play a match on The Cage
10G American Idle - Idle for an entire game of Firefight
5G Don't do that - Wait for a Title Update
75G Please? - Subscribe to our MMO

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
But I've seen people doing this on other weeks.
Any day there is a "kill X people in Multiplayer" or "get X multikills in a Multiplayer game", Giffball is the go-to. And the weekly Challenges, of course.

I wish there were more than four spawn points.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
Any day there is a "kill X people in Multiplayer" or "get X multikills in a Multiplayer game", Giffball is the go-to. And the weekly Challenges, of course.

I wish there were more than four spawn points.

Or anyone who wants to boost their k/d or certain commendations or to gain more credits.

Gui_PT said:
Well 1st Multi Team is unplayable and now Grifball.

Even if I don't have a huge host disadvantage, no one tries to score anymore. They just pick up the bomb and keep it while they try to get as many kills possible.

I'm running out of playlists to choose here, Bungie! :lol

=(

That's just because of the weekly. Starting Monday, you'll have your Griffball back.

Willeth

Hey! Internet!

Can anyone who was playing during the final hours of Halo 2 (post-shutoff) send me a quick PM? I want to find out some stuff.

Thanks!

Havok

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Reach is coming to Games on Demand March 15th according to Major Nelson, the same day as the Defiant pack. Six months and one day after release.

Well, I do not envy Urk today.

The DLC armor mystery is still 343i's to answer, and now people are going to want MMO confirmation/details he probably can't give.

Oh well, maybe we'll get some new playlist info, maybe some discussion of how the new DLC well be integrated?

Havok said:
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Reach is coming to Games on Demand March 15th according to Major Nelson, the same day as the Defiant pack. Six months and one day after release.
I'd be all over it, if I didn't suspect that HDD install is what was causing the freezing problem in Reach.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Well, I do not envy Urk today.

The DLC armor mystery is still 343i's to answer, and now people are going to want MMO confirmation/details he probably can't give.

Oh well, maybe we'll get some new playlist info, maybe some discussion of how the new DLC well be integrated?
My one desire is Firefight playlist update details. That one nugget, and I will be nourished.

I think, though, that I will instead be horrified at the avalanche of chickenpede media. I don't envy him sifting through them all.

TruHero

Banned
7echnicolor said:
Yep. Definitely Grifball. It's also good for the weekly challenge.

Alright. thanks. I haven't played much Grifball, but you guys think it's easy to rack up multikills?

HiredN00bs said:
I'd be all over it, if I didn't suspect that HDD install is what was causing the freezing problem in Reach.

huh? I have Reach installed to my X360S HDD and it runs fine. No problems

Striker said:
Why is the voting system a problem when in reality it's the poor weightings? For example, in BTB, you will see most often Slayer, Bro Slayer and Headhunter. That's a poor formula.

Yes, this is absolutely true, but there are still frustrations with people's choices for me as well.

GhaleonEB said:
Bungie has described Halo as an action game, FWIW.

I think the new game is first person. I'll be pretty disappointed if it's not, I find first person games the most immersive.

I assume it will be a FPSMMO. That is my guess at least.

Gui_PT said:
Didn't we see a few screenshots a while ago? If those are from the actual game, it will be fps.

No, those were very much fake. They were clearly photoshopped. Also, Bungie will not deny something that is real, they just won't say anything about them/try to destroy them from every corner of the web (They denied the screens you are talking about right away).

My Reach froze the other day off the disc. It happens when I go between playlist and active roster it gets really garbled and just stops. I think if I wait like 2 minutes it unfreezes and then freezes again and then I have to wait 2 more minutes til it unfreezes...I think its something with network conditions it usually happens more when my internet is being a bitch.

Also Team Doubles seems like a really good playlist. Just gave it a few hour run and had quite a bit of fun.

I matched up with a guy who had only played one game before me...Might need to code in Trueskill Averages for playlists. I know its a new playlist but damn I should not have played that kid and his guest. That would be my suggestion for Social in the next Halo game. Ranked can still have its own Trueskill each playlist.

Gui_PT

TruHero said:
Alright. thanks. I haven't played much Grifball, but you guys think it's easy to rack up multikills?

Definitely best place for multikills

Steelyuhas said:
No, those were very much fake. They were clearly photoshopped. Also, Bungie will not deny something that is real, they just won't say anything about them/try to destroy them from every corner of the web (They denied the screens you are talking about right away).

Did Bungle say they were fake? I still don't know who said they were fake.

Gui_PT

Steelyuhas said:
Luke Smith did.

Luke Smith is a troll, son =P

I'll stick with my "they said no MC on Reach and yet he showed up which means they do lie about somethings which would make sense from a marketing point of view" theory

We'll most definitely read about this in the BWU. I don't think they can avoid it.

Gui_PT said:
Luke Smith is a troll, son =P

I'll stick with my "they said no MC on Reach and yet he showed up which means they do lie about somethings which would make sense from a marketing point of view" theory

We'll most definitely read about this in the BWU. I don't think they can avoid it.

Yeah I'm sure we will, they have to address it now. The screens were obviously photoshopped though. One of the characters on screen was a direct copy paste from a piece of concept art from ODST. It was quite funny really.

Looking forward to the BWU today. I actually fell like they might tell us some stuff this week. Address MMO news, possibly achievements for Defiant pack, playlist details for Defiant pack.

Oozer3993

Gui_PT said:
Definitely best place for multikills

Did Bungle say they were fake? I still don't know who said they were fake.

Oh, they're definitely fake.

Fake screenshot:

DsRyo.png

Halo 3: ODST Concept art:

mJNzS.jpg

LukeSmith said:

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i mentioned this in the other thread, but i cant possibly be the only one who instantly thought of what halo was way back at the macworld unveiling. maybe this will be along those same lines...

hey, is there any way to patch halo 2 to its latest/final version now that original XBOX live is down? can you download the patch and load it on a USB like a firmware update?

Crucio

The only current way I know of to get Halo 2 Updates is to get the Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack disc. Look it up at your local game store, though its probably pretty rare now a days.

Ramirez

Kind of bummed if it's a traditional MMO, I just quit WoW because I simply don't have the time to play such games anymore. Oh well, guess I'll wait and see.

Crucio said:
The only current way I know of to get Halo 2 Updates is to get the Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack disc. Look it up at your local game store, though its probably pretty rare now a days.

That has the latest version? too bad it doesn't have the last two maps :(

Top Bottom