• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Falagard said:
Hopefully the MLG playlist is fixed by the time I want to play it tonight ;-)

Although I wasn't a huge fan of the MLG playlist in Halo 3 because I'm a crappy player - I look forward to the movement speed, jump height and only sprint to see how that plays in the real world.

It's not only sprint!

MIND BLOWN YET?

Armour abilities are on map pickups now

Tashi0106 said:
If it weren't an MLG playlist how many of you guys would be laughing?
It seems pretty good apart from the screw-ups. I like the movement speed. Rockets/sniper on Countdown is truly weird, though. And me and my friend got rolled 3-0 in both games of Asylum CTF we played, though both times we were matched against teams of four.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
As much as I despise the MLG kids, I hope the playlist gets sorted before any more toys are thrown from the various online prams.

I can't believe Achronos. There's obviously dials, levers and knobs. Just push, twist or pull the right one or something. Or kick Urk.

Falagard

electricpirate said:
It's not only sprint!

MIND BLOWN YET?

Armour abilities are on map pickups now

Cool, now I'm really interested :) I haven't played with armor ability pickups yet. What happens if I pick up Invisibility, and then get killed?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
My first MLG experience: http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=358324470&player=Xenolock

If any of you get matched up with I KaYoTiiC I tell him Xenowood says "FUCK YOU DON'T TELL ME I SUCK THEN GO NEGATIVE AND RAGE QUIT" it's also important to mention that I was second most positive in the game, despite losing.
XnPJG.gif

No thanks to him and his butt buddy quitting out on us.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Plywood said:
My first MLG experience: http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=358324470&player=Xenolock

If any of you get matched up with I KaYoTiiC I tell him Xenowood says "FUCK YOU DON'T TELL ME I SUCK THEN GO NEGATIVE AND RAGE QUIT" it's also important to mention that I was second most positive in the game, despite losing.
XnPJG.gif

No thanks to him and his butt buddy quitting out on us.

When a player has a tag with intermittently placed capital letters, you know he's pro.

Gui_PT said:
I believe it's possible to download them to your 360 and upload to fileshare.
I'll give that a shot tonight.

Just seems weird to have that kind of functionality in the game and not on the website.

Arnie

Baring the glaring mixups, MLG is the most fun I've had on Halo: Reach. Finally a movement speed that doesn't make me feel I'm playing a different franchise altogether. Once they fix the jump height it'll be golden. This and the DLC playlist will have my attention for the foreseeable future.

Still though, I'm going to reiterate that whatever system Bungie are using for Reach's matchmaking is considerably worse than previous games. Trueskill? :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Arnie said:
Baring the glaring mixups, MLG is the most fun I've had on Halo: Reach. Finally a movement speed that doesn't make me feel I'm playing a different franchise altogether. Once they fix the jump height it'll be golden. This and the DLC playlist will have my attention for the foreseeable future.

Still though, I'm going to reiterate that whatever system Bungie are using for Reach's matchmaking is considerably worse than previous games. Trueskill? :lol

You're bitching about being matched against random skills in a playlist that just released?

You know they all have separate trueskill rankings and you need to give it time before you have an accurate matchmaking experience in new playlists, or ones you don't play often, right?

Oozer3993

Arnie said:

The system is fine. You have a separate TrueSkill rating for each playlist. Since the MLG playlist just went live, everyone has the same TrueSkill in it, from the most bowl-cutted of pros to the scrubbiest of the bks. It will take a little while to even out.

aesop

Alienshogun said:
You're bitching about being matched against random skills in a playlist that just released?

You know they all have separate trueskill rankings and you need to give it time before you have an accurate matchmaking experience in new playlists, or ones you don't play often, right?

IT IS AUTOMATIC OR I HATE IT/IT'S BROKEN!

etc

Shake Appeal said:
It's TrueSkilled by individual playlist, so your first few games are always going to be all over the place.
My first few games in Arena this season were absolutely humiliating. Left a really bad taste in my mouth, but I'll probably stick it out for a little while to see in hopes it gets better for me. It may be that there aren't enough crappy players in Areana for me to get properly matched against, but I'll give any playlist without Armor Lock a shot.

Arnie

Alienshogun said:

Oozer3993 said:
The system is fine. You have a separate TrueSkill rating for each playlist. Since the MLG playlist just went live, everyone has the same TrueSkill in it, from the most bowl-cutted of pros to the scrubbiest of the bks. It will take a little while to even out.

Shake Appeal said:
It's TrueSkilled by individual playlist, so your first few games are always going to be all over the place.
I didn't realise, I thought True Skill was a system used behind matchmaking which gave you an overall skill value, not per playlist. That explains it. Still doesn't hide my dissatisfaction at having frustrating games up until the point at which the system evens out, or even a visual marker to indicate to me that the system has allocated me a skill level, but I guess that was one of Bungie's design goals with matchmaking in general outside of Arena.

I still maintain though that in general, Reach has been much worse at matching me with players of a similar skill to myself than previous games. Perhaps the problem is exasperated by the lack of in-game UI communicating the trueskill value to me.

Arnie said:
I still maintain though that in general, Reach has been much worse at matching me with players of a similar skill to myself than previous games. Perhaps the problem is exasperated by the lack of in-game UI communicating the trueskill value to me.
Is the skill column show in post-game stats your trueskill rating?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Arnie said:
I didn't realise, I thought True Skill was a system used behind matchmaking which gave you an overall skill value, not per playlist. That explains it. Still doesn't hide my dissatisfaction at having frustrating games up until the point at which the system evens out, or even a visual marker to indicate to me that the system has allocated me a skill level, but I guess that was one of Bungie's design goals with matchmaking in general outside of Arena.

So, your only real complaint is that you can't see your trueskill per playlist.

At least that is cleared up.

Edit: Eh, just played MLG and got donged on pretty hard. :lol

squidhands said:
My first few games in Arena this season were absolutely humiliating. Left a really bad taste in my mouth, but I'll probably stick it out for a little while to see in hopes it gets better for me. It may be that there aren't enough crappy players in Areana for me to get properly matched against, but I'll give any playlist without Armor Lock a shot.

Arena is by far my worst playlist. I think it may just be a side-effect that the more competitive players play Arena than in the other playlists.

NullPointer said:
Is the skill column show in post-game stats your trueskill rating?
TrueSkill is only shown in one place, and one place only, and that's in the Arena, where the badges correspond to particular percentiles of TrueSkill for players in that playlist who have completed conditions of ranking (4 games on 5 days).

It is shown nowhere else, but factors into matchmaking for each playlist individually.

Every time you enter a new playlist, it will take a few games for the game to get a sense of your level. Also, because it's using TrueSkill properly, your 'level' is much more fluid and can move rapidly up or down with a few good or bad games.

Arnie

Alienshogun said:
So, your only real complaint is that you can't see your trueskill per playlist.
That and I don't feel the matchmaking system is creating competitive games for me even in playlists I've frequented since launch. Such as this, this, this and this. In previous games I rarely got outcomes like this once a skill level had been locked down, maybe Reach's system takes longer to ascertain a players Trueskill, I'm not sure. Three months on and I'm yet to reach a level where I feel I can enter a playlist and know I'm going to get a well balanced, competitive match.

Has Achronus posted on Bnet whether he knows how long it'll take to fix the gravity bug in MLG?

Ramirez

Even with the problems, the MLG list is still the most fun I've had out of this game. Sanctuary should replace the abomination known as Asylum in regular playlists. It's also amazing how something as simple as not allowing you to sprint on spawn changes the game in a drastic manner.

Shake, how is Rocket/Snipe weird, but Shotgun/Sword is A-OK on Countdown? Such a better set up. Perhaps MLG will salvage this game into something I play on a regular basis.

Arnie

Ramirez said:
Even with the problems, the MLG list is still the most fun I've had out of this game. Sanctuary should replace the abomination known as Asylum in regular playlists. It's also amazing how something as simple as not allowing you to sprint on spawn changes the game in a drastic manner.

Ramirez said:
Shake, how is Rocket/Snipe weird, but Shotgun/Sword is A-OK on Countdown? Such a better set up. Perhaps MLG will salvage this game into something I play on a regular basis.
I guess because I mostly play it in Arena I'm used to it being Shotgun/PP with no radar, which is fine. It agree it was pretty shitty when it had both CQC power weapons and radar so people just corner-camped, but that seems so long ago.

Rockets bother me on every small level because the splash damage is just so immense. It'll probably be better in MLG because of 110% speed, once they fix gravity.

And it just seems weird to be sniping on that level because of how close most of it is, but I guess it's cool across the centre area.

kylej

Banned
Haven't tried MLG yet. Booties and I are about to start shitting on kids in Noble. Send jelyk a message if you want to play.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is MLG still using that ugly POS version of Sanctuary I saw in videos? Could they not have recreated it on top of the Colosseum? Why didn't they?

Otherwise I bet it does play better than Asylum.

Shake Appeal said:
TrueSkill is only shown in one place, and one place only, and that's in the Arena, where the badges correspond to particular percentiles of TrueSkill for players in that playlist who have completed conditions of ranking (4 games on 5 days).
If true, then what is that skill rating shown in the post-game lobby? If its not used to match you up with other players, whats the point of it?

Just curious really.

NullPointer said:
If true, then what is that skill rating shown in the post-game lobby? If its not used to match you up with other players, whats the point of it?

Just curious really.
What skill rating? The Arena-style number? Just for show/personal statkeeping like the K/D spread, at least outside of the Arena.

Shake Appeal said:
What skill rating? The Arena-style number? Just for show/personal statkeeping like the K/D spread, at least outside of the Arena.
If you check post game stats, one of the screens shows a 4-digit "skill" number for each player (usually between 1100 and 1700 is what I've seen). I don't play Arena much (maybe 3 or 4 times ever) but I do see it in Team Slayer and other playlists.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Even with how hard I'm getting donged on, the idiotic MLG wanna be kids running their mouthes, and it's issues, MLG playlist is exactly what the multiplayer needed.

Definitely the go to playlist from now on, not having asshats armorlocking all the damn time is a godsend.

Sorry I didn't join you Kyle, I don't have a lot of time.

NullPointer said:
If you check post game stats, one of the screens shows a 4-digit "skill" number for each player (usually between 1100 and 1700 is what I've seen). I don't play Arena much (maybe 3 or 4 times ever) but I do see it in Team Slayer and other playlists.
Yeah, that's just applying the Arena formula to other playlists to give a comparative indicator of how you did. It doesn't actually represent or impact anything outside of the Arena.

Alienshogun said:
Definitely the go to playlist from now on, not having asshats armorlocking all the damn time is a godsend.
New Arena season has been up for a week now...

Willeth

Wow, has anyone tried the co-op campaign playlist recently? Ghost town. I hope Bungie are reconsidering the commendation credits only being obtainable here.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shake Appeal said:
Yeah, that's just applying the Arena formula to other playlists to give a comparative indicator of how you did. It doesn't actually represent or impact anything outside of the Arena.

Arena makes me rage, so I avoid it, at least for now, or until I get some people to play Arena with regularly.

aesop

enzo_gt said:
Is MLG still using that ugly POS version of Sanctuary I saw in videos? Could they not have recreated it on top of the Colosseum? Why didn't they?

Otherwise I bet it does play better than Asylum.

Something something uneven terrain something something.

GhaleonEB

Willeth said:
Wow, has anyone tried the co-op campaign playlist recently? Ghost town. I hope Bungie are reconsidering the commendation credits only being obtainable here.
Snapshot of this moment:

Code:
Playlist	Players	% of Total

TEAM SLAYER	13,153	20%
TEAM SWAT	8,026	12%
MLG	        6,079	9%
BIG TEAM BATTLE	5,747	9%
RUMBLE PIT	5,363	8%
FIREFIGHT	4,775	7%
NOBLE MAP PACK	4,051	6%
INVASION	3,585	5%
LIVING DEAD	3,258	5%
MULTI TEAM	3,077	5%
TEAM SNIPERS	2,563	4%
DOUBLES ARENA	1,493	2%
TEAM ARENA	1,457	2%
SCORE ATTACK	1,216	2%
TEAM OBJECTIVE	806	1%
FIREFIGHT VS	793	1%
CO-OP CAMPAIGN	571	1%

Total	        66,013	100%

I wonder if Team Objective is long for this world.

Ramirez

Shake Appeal said:

Arena is plagued with horrible maps and their weapon spawns.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
Snapshot of this moment:

Code:
Playlist	Players	% of Total

TEAM SLAYER	13,153	20%
TEAM SWAT	8,026	12%
MLG	        6,079	9%
BIG TEAM BATTLE	5,747	9%
RUMBLE PIT	5,363	8%
FIREFIGHT	4,775	7%
NOBLE MAP PACK	4,051	6%
INVASION	3,585	5%
LIVING DEAD	3,258	5%
MULTI TEAM	3,077	5%
TEAM SNIPERS	2,563	4%
DOUBLES ARENA	1,493	2%
TEAM ARENA	1,457	2%
SCORE ATTACK	1,216	2%
TEAM OBJECTIVE	806	1%
FIREFIGHT VS	793	1%
CO-OP CAMPAIGN	571	1%

Total	        66,013	100%

I wonder if Team Objective is long for this world.

If they had a CTF only playlist I bet more people would play it. Same with Big Team CTF.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
If they had a CTF only playlist I bet more people would play it. Same with Big Team CTF.
I've always wished there was a Big Team Objective: Flag and Bomb games only. (2-flag, 1-flag, 1-bomb, 2-bomb, neutral bomb)

But the split between that and BTB Slayer would probably split the player base too much.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
I've always wished there was a Big Team Objective: Flag and Bomb games only. (2-flag, 1-flag, 1-bomb, 2-bomb, neutral bomb)

But the split between that and BTB Slayer would probably split the player base too much.

Perhaps, still, a man can dream. :D

I sure hope the MLG playlist realizes I'm not that good soon, holy crap I'm getting donged on.

Genesis Knight said:
My BNET profile still shows my launch night armor. What the fuck.

Same.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Alienshogun said:
If they had a CTF and Bomb only playlist I bet more people would play it. Same with Big Team CTF.

Team Objective Gametypes:

1 Flag CTF - Awesome
1 Flag Pro - Awesome
Multiflag CTF - Awesome
2 Flag Pro - Awesome
2 Flag Classic - Awesome
Neutral Bomb - Awesome
1 Bomb Assault - Awesome
Team Headhunter - Poop
Oddball - Poop
Team Hot Potato - Super Poop
Stockpile - Poop