• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Okay. Bungie, why are there neutral spawn points on Territories on Breakpoint? I was spawning on the Blue team's side and I would've been able to capture their territories quite easily. Slayer I can kind of understand...but territories?

I don't understand this sudden fascination with neutral spawn points.

Miggytronz

Dax01 said:
Okay. Bungie, why are there neutral spawn points on Territories on Breakpoint? I was spawning on the Blue team's side and I would've been able to capture their territories quite easily. Slayer I can kind of understand...but territories?

yeah its pretty bad.

last week with some gaffers we were playing on Tempest Territories and spawned at red base, we generally kept to red side. Next thing you know. Fucking blue starts spawning at red base!

Dax01 said:

I'm pretty sure Tashi could point you towards a playlist that doesn't use neutral spawn points if you're interested. It even has objective gametypes too!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Mikasangelos said:
yeah its pretty bad.

last week with some gaffers we were playing on Tempest Territories and spawned at red base, we generally kept to red side. Next thing you know. Fucking blue starts spawning at red base!

along the same lines, why in team slayer do players occasionally initially spawn at the wrong base? its pretty shitty to spawn with 6 guys of the opposite team in close proximity and your team on the opposite side.... maybe an issue of having 6v6 rather than 4v4 like the map is meant to support?

equil

Shake Appeal said:
Like two people shooting at a banshee with DMRs will cause the pilot to bail out of the area pretty quick.

Or one of you could find a sniper and shoot it twice, and it'll blow up. :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Bregmann Roche said:
I'm pretty sure Tashi could point you towards a playlist that doesn't use neutral spawn points if you're interested. It even has objective gametypes too!

mlg_logo_4252.jpg

Actually, Oddball should have neutral spawns.

GhaleonEB

I think a lot of the problems with Reach's - and Halo 3's - spawning systems had to do with neutral spawns. Most (but not all) team games play better with dedicated team spawns. So long as there is a good number of them and several distinct areas to spawn at, spawn traps won't occur often. I too don't really understand why neutral ones are being used more often, as they tend to cause more problems.

On Tempest Slayer the other day I was holding down the front area of a base I started at - by the man cannon - and the other team spawned in behind me. That kind of thing just shouldn't be happening.

kylej

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I think a lot of the problems with Reach's - and Halo 3's - spawning systems had to do with neutral spawns. Most (but not all) team games play better with dedicated team spawns. So long as there is a good number of them and several distinct areas to spawn at, spawn traps won't occur often. I too don't really understand why neutral ones are being used more often, as they tend to cause more problems.

On Tempest Slayer the other day I was holding down the front area of a base I started at - by the man cannon - and the other team spawned in behind me. That kind of thing just shouldn't be happening.

Every single Halo: Reach team game is basically FFA.

Hooray for MLG.

GhaleonEB said:

I don't recall it being this bad in Halo 3 though. I mean, in BTB you had clear bases on Valhalla and Avalanche.
Bregmann Roche said:
I'd rather eat my Halo: Reach disk, thank you.

Striker

Dax01 said:
I don't recall it being this bad in Halo 3 though. I mean, in BTB you had clear bases on Valhalla and Avalanche.
Tempest isn't that large. It's a medium sized symmetrical map. Halo 3 eventually had Narrows and Standoff incorporate these same type of spawn maneuvers to counter spawn killing. Plus they're all around the place in asymmetrical maps, which is how it should be.

The issue isn't the spawn placements, it's the coding side of things. That's Bungie's fault - no reason an enemy should spawn near you if you're in a gunfight or right behind you while you're in a base. It happened in Halo 3 often for me, mostly in Sandtrap, and it happens here.

Whole thing is hilarious. You can't jump up the rocks on Sanctuary. People try to jetpack away from fights and get like a foot off the ground and hover there before you snipe them. Evade is super-OP.

Fix your shit, MLG. :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Shake Appeal said:
Whole thing is hilarious. You can't jump up the rocks on Sanctuary. People try to jetpack away from fights and get like a foot off the ground and hover there before you snipe them. Evade is super-OP.

Fix your shit, MLG. :lol

There was a mistake in the implementation somewhere.

Jeremiah just trolled an entire community. Whenever someone jetpacks, I burst out laughing. They just sputter about the place like a humanoid hovercraft.

I watched a guy take three attempts to jump up to sniper on Sanctuary.

Nutter

Looking forward to trying the "fixed" version of MLG, however it usually takes them a few iterations of the settings to get them right.

The more vanilla it is the better imo.

Weird.

bnet poster said:
Uhm, apparently the settings if you go to recent games and put the sames settings in on a custom game the jump height works. So it's something to do with the playlist itself.. It would be really appreciated if bungie could fix this without having to wait months.

I wonder if Achronos has the dumbed-down version of why it works in Custom settings but not in the playlist.

GhaleonEB

Just saw this on Twitter: Five Minutes With... Halo: Reach's Firefight Menus

Good read. And it reminds me to work on a custom gametype I had brewing. I was playing around with AI settings, and enemies with low visibility but acute hearing make for an interesting sneak fest on a map like Corvette. I think I may give everyone short-range/melee weapons and put them against semi-blind but well able to hear Hunters/Brute Chieftains/Elite Ultras.

GhaleonEB said:
Just saw this on Twitter: Five Minutes With... Halo: Reach's Firefight Menus

Good read. And it reminds me to work on a custom gametype I had brewing. I was playing around with AI settings, and enemies with low visibility but acute hearing make for an interesting sneak fest on a map like Corvette. I think I may give everyone short-range/melee weapons and put them against semi-blind but well able to hear Hunters/Brute Chieftains/Elite Ultras.
And it remind me to do the firefight thing. Maybe I should start next week?

Tashi0106 said:
There was a mistake in the implementation somewhere.

I hope this appears on some kind of Bungie store t-shirt or bumper sticker. Preferably with the Armor Lock icon next to it.

Zing! Armor lock bitching! I'm bringing it back!

Achronos

Putting a gametype in a playlist is not as simple as slapping something in from the file share. As you can see by downloading the game type, the game type itself is fine. The problem lies elsewhere. Let's call the gravity thing a "parser bug" for the sake of not explaining to you technical details of how Halo matchmaking and game types really work.

squidhands said:
Weird.

I wonder if Achronos has the dumbed-down version of why it works in Custom settings but not in the playlist.

Achronos said:
Putting a gametype in a playlist is not as simple as slapping something in from the file share. As you can see by downloading the game type, the game type itself is fine. The problem lies elsewhere. Let's call the gravity thing a "parser bug" for the sake of not explaining to you technical details of how Halo matchmaking and game types really work.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! :D

Random question, but it there a way to see all "pictures of you" from Bungie.net? I know you can do it within Reach, but can you also check those out online?

Reason I ask is that I found some very weird stuff when I last checked it in game. Remember that clip of me nuking myself with my own targeting laser?
Video here

Well, I found like a dozen other Reach players have been using it to make some kind of art house pics or something. A study in lighting and awesome? Dunno, but its neat. Feels a bit weird too.

Some of the pics came out great but I'd like to download a few to share. Any ideas?

Falagard

Hopefully the MLG playlist is fixed by the time I want to play it tonight ;-)

Although I wasn't a huge fan of the MLG playlist in Halo 3 because I'm a crappy player - I look forward to the movement speed, jump height and only sprint to see how that plays in the real world.

Achronos said:
themoreyouknow.gif

Cheers for the clarification.

Top Bottom