• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Hey You

Bungie.net now Mobilized:

If you've been itching to hold Bungie.net in the palm of your hand, direct your web browser to Bungie.net and watch the magic happen. While we're not deploying the full run of features for our maiden voyage into cellphone cyberspace, we do have a handful of features that aim to please. If your device doesn't play nice with the default URL, our beloved web overlord, Gossett, notes that you might have better luck with http://www.bungie.net/mobile. Unless you clicked the link in your desktop web browser.

Bam!

And

MLG Gravity Fixed, Breakpoint Invasion in Noble Playlist:

Double whammy.

After some gravity defying hiccups, the MLG playlist is now operating with the correct player settings. If you stayed up all night waiting the four shot some scrubs, please accept our sincerest apologies. Jeremiah is still investigating reports of other instances of inconsistency, but for now, feel free to jump in and get to work.

In non-MLG news, our playlist team also took the opportunity to inject Breakpoint Invasion into the Noble Map Pack hopper. If you have the new maps and want more Breakpoint, it should now be way easier to get your fill.

Thanks for your patience.

neoism

Hydranockz said:
ALHHoloGaf.png
:lol :lol

Ramirez

Dax01 said:
You're calling 3 Plots, Team Stockpile and Team Headhunter, "poop"?

And you're calling Team Hot Potato, probably the most hilarious and fun objective gametype "super poop"?

That's not right.

You're poop.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hydranockz said:
Prepare yourselves.
Then I foolishly asked for HaloGaf's opinion. Besides Zayne's ideas I realised l wasn't gonna get many ideas while you were all bickering! So I give you... with the help of HaloGaf, of which Shogun is a part of, who came up with the name of...
ALHHoloGaf.png

I <3 you all really.
:lol

chapel

Banned
Wow first game of MLG was not fun for me. The speed is odd, I don't think I can switch between the two. It totally throws me off, and was infuriating. Not to mention the other team was coordinated and spawn camping us, so I just quit out, I couldn't take it anymore.

That being my first experience with the MLG playlist, I am not sure if I want to try again.

GhaleonEB

If anyone's up for some Firefight, lemme know. I'll be tinkering on the custom variant I'm working on and then dive into matchmaking in a bit, or whenever anyone wants to hop in.

Kibbles

So I went to watch Tashi's stream (well the recording of it) and holy shit, MLG made their own version of Sanctuary? :lol Looks ugly as sin. I'm not saying the disc version was good looking either though.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Kibbles said:
So I went to watch Tashi's stream (well the recording of it) and holy shit, MLG made their own version of Sanctuary? :lol Looks ugly as sin.
Sorry, I just got off. Also, I'm sure my shitty stream quality doesn't help how it looks lol. It may not look great but it plays amazingly well.

feel

Really liking the MLG playlist. Movement feels liberating, melee rush doesn't work, kills are slightly faster, no random out of place abilities and weapons, objective games feel balanced/great (a first in Reach MM for me). This is nice, Tashi was right all along. :p

Looking forward to the day I don't finish bottom of my team with something like -7, ffs these kids are brutal. Oh, and the douchebaggery levels are off the charts, but I can deal with that, at least I'm getting teabagged and being called a "faggot" after being destroyed fair and square, not after getting armorlocked on or whatever.

Kibbles said:
So I went to watch Tashi's stream (well the recording of it) and holy shit, MLG made their own version of Sanctuary? :lol Looks ugly as sin. I'm not saying the disc version was good looking either though.
Yeah, it's really ugly and jaggy, but it plays/works so much better than the Bungie one, that you get over the looks fast. Played an amazing flag game there 20 minutes ago, we lost 3-2 after being down 2-0, it was great, we almost made a nice comeback.

Kibbles

Tashi0106 said:
Sorry, I just got off. Also, I'm sure my shitty stream quality doesn't help how it looks lol. It may not look great but it plays amazingly well.
Well that's good to hear. :lol Yeah I guess the quality does make it look worse, still the forge palette is not helping. I'm looking forward to trying out some MLG when I can.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You definitely need thick skin in the MLG playlist. People just expect a certain skill level out of you in there. Try never to enter alone and you gotta get used to the settings and gametypes. That takes time and practice.

Here's a tip. Melee damage is 75%, 3 melees to kill, 2 to drop shields. If you're in melee range, shoot first and then immediately melee. You won't really sacrifice any time by shooting first but more importantly, it will drop their shields. Then you can finish however you like. Shoot and then melee to drops shields.

If you melee first, it will take 2 shots to kill.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Why is the beatdown in MLG so weak? Three smacks to a man, nevermind if you ran up on his ass for the assasination and he turned around the last second then your stuck hitting him three times. :[

Also Countdown One Flag I thought would be 1 Flag but no, capture as many as you like apparently as for MLG Assault 5 on Sanctuary, insane that's a lot of damn bombage.

Other than those things I didn't expect I like the pace of it, much faster than Vanilla Reach.

GhaleonEB

So, here's the Firefight gametype I was working on. It's called Blind Hunters.

I was interested in tinkering with the sight and hearing capabilities of the AI to see if a different kind of gametype could come out of it. I tried a bunch of combinations, but settled on sharp hearing, but near sighted. And then I combined that with a CQC set of load outs (Sword/hologram, Shotgun/evade, etc. coupled with short-range automatic weapons as backup) For their part players have no radar but move 10% faster than normal, have infinite ammo, but can't pick up other weapons. Damage and other settings are normal.

The result is a Firefight game with lots of quiet tension between bursts of close quarters chaos. Because enemies have better hearing than normal, they tend to swarm toward me when I engaged, even from the other side of the map. But they were somewhat easy to disengage from or distract because they are near sighted.

Oh, and they have the highest 'shootiness', so when they do spot you it gets crazy quick.

Lots of encounters play out like this: I'm tossing a grenade from the high ground, where no one can see me, to try and attract a squad - but don't realize another one is brought in from the other side. One of them fires the Nerfle like a machine gun. You can see the range of their visibility is about the same as the outer range of a shotgun blast.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=10876974&player=GhaleonEB

When I was able to ambush a squad, it was a quick slaughter. When I got caught off guard like that, it was a slaughter.

It combined for some great standoffs (literally) where I was pinned down and had to find a way to try and juke/trick/evade the pack to get around them.

reach_10876918_Full.jpg

One step forward, and that front row of Hunters unload.

And speaking of Hunters - I understand now why they were attracted to Errera's. All they wanna do is dance. (As long as they're alone.)

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=10876979&player=GhaleonEB

I did my testing solo on Normal, but I think a few players on Heroic could be quite interesting. If anyone tries it out let me know how it goes. Of the maps I tested, Courtyard works the best; smaller maps are needed since a CQC gametype. Corvette kicked by butt but it probably would work well with multiple players.

^^ That looks bad ass Ghaleon nice job. Very creative.

I just beat the campaign for the 3rd time now with my brother in law and I have to say its definitely my favorite Halo.

Its absolutely gorgeous and I think it looks even better than the teaser vid that bungie showed of Halo 3 that I bitched and moaned about.

The levels are incredibly varied a I loved every single one of them(yes even the spaceship).

Its the first game of all 4 that I felt emotionally moved and connected to the characters and especially "6".

The end scene of him fighting wave after wave of Zealots gives me chills.

Also reading Bungies letter this last time actually made me get pretty emotional. No more Bungie Halo. I can't believe it. I want to cry.

So, 2 weeks ago I stopped my legendary playthrough at bravo checkpoint of long night of solace. Played some coop in heroic in the meantime. Yesterday I resumed my game at checkpoint bravo of the mission where I stopped and I beat it. Still it's telling me that the highest difficulty I beat the level on is heroic. Do I have to do it all over again ? :/

vhfive

BruceLeeRoy said:
^^ That looks bad ass Ghaleon nice job. Very creative.

I just beat the campaign for the 3rd time now with my brother in law and I have to say its definitely my favorite Halo.

Its absolutely gorgeous and I think it looks even better than the teaser vid that bungie showed of Halo 3 that I bitched and moaned about.

The levels are incredibly varied a I loved every single one of them(yes even the spaceship).

Its the first game of all 4 that I felt emotionally moved and connected to the characters and especially "6".

The end scene of him fighting wave after wave of Zealots gives me chills.

Also reading Bungies letter this last time actually made me get pretty emotional. No more Bungie Halo. I can't believe it. I want to cry.
the campaign is easily the best of the series
to bad the multiplayer is the worst
but I'll continue to play it anyways

goldenpp72

I finally got around to playing this and love it, doing legendary my first run, however I am having a lot of glitches with mission '06' (space), first I was playing it and I got killed 'right after' a checkpoint, forcing me to restart since it put me in infinite death, but then after restarting, I played through the whole level onto the next one and no achievement unlocked, I thought maybe it was a super long level but then I got the achievement for mission 07 but not 06, I go to check my badges and sure enough, it says I never once completed mission 06 on any difficulty yet I beat mission 07 in single player -_-

Good job bungle

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
MLG has revived my love for Halo: Reach. I am in AWE of what they've managed to accomplish with just a few tweaks of the basic custom game editing options.

And they single handedly fixed the melee system all because they lowered the damage by 25% and nothing else.

:bow MLG :bow

Ramirez

I need to send the MLG guys a donation check, they've totally salvaged this unplayable mess. Bloom is a lot less infuriating when you can actually...strafe to avoid shots, make jumps you could in Halo 3, not have to worry about some noob rushing you for the melee, etc. etc. etc. SO FREAKING GOOD, it actually feels like I'm playing a Halo game.

Seriously, I know Bungie won't swallow their pride or anything and change stuff like movement speed, but the least you could do is implement every single one of MLGs map/gametype changes, they are SO much better than the stock gametypes/maps. I know the playlist will start reaming me in a few days when my trueskill gets up, but whatever.

Breakpont Invasion is now in the DLC playlist? That makes me happy. And now I've time to play the game again :) Who wants to rock the DLC playlist tonight again? Looks over at Zeouterlimits and Hydranockz.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hypertrooper said:
Breakpont Invasion is now in the DLC playlist? That makes me happy.

They should take it out again. So annoying playing Invasion over and over again, no matter the map. All the kids are voting for it to get the related achievement instead of voting for, you know, something that's actually fun to play instead.

Dani said:
They should take it out again. So annoying playing Invasion over and over again, no matter the map. All the kids are voting for it to get the related achievement instead of voting for, you know, something that's actually fun to play instead.

I've enjoyed Invasion on breakpoint.

Jinjo

MrBig said:
You'll get a DNF if you quit as soon as it finds a match.

But it doesn't count as a quit. I've quitted multiple times in the lobby when I was on probation and I didn't get the time-out.

Gunslinger
Kill 75 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.
1250cR

One Spartan Army
Kill 250 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.
2500cR

Double Double
Earn 2 Double Kills in the same match in Multiplayer Matchmaking.
1350cR

Oops! All Kills
Earn 25 Multikills in multiplayer Matchmaking.
1200cR

Dani said:
I have not the achievement. But yeah after I got it they could put it out of the playlist.

I've been getting XML errors on bungie.net since yesterday. Is it from the mobile format roll-out? Happens both in Opera and Firefox.

Here's Opera's error:

XML parsing failed

XML parsing failed: syntax error (Line: 180, Character: 30)

Reparse document as HTML
Error:
invalid start-tag

Specification:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-STag

177: click : function(evt) {
178: var player = '';
179: var playerIndexStart = window.location.search.indexOf('player=');
180: if (playerIndexStart < 0) {
181: playerIndexStart = window.location.search.indexOf('pxd=');
182: }
183: if (playerIndexStart >= 0) {

I think my ODST controller is about to die. Either that, or something strange happened to me. Up until today, I felt playing with sensitivity 4 to be pretty natural. I loaded up a game of Score Attack today, however, and it somehow felt completely sluggish and nonresponsive. Turning around took way too long, all of a sudden, which is something I've never had any problems with before.

So I bumped up the sensitivity, first to 7, then 8, then 9, and even now it feels like my controller is just 'resisting' when I try turning around. I did a lot better with 9 than I did with 4, though. Considering it was a game of Sniper Attack, and I suck at sniping, that says alot. Weirdness.

Blue Ninja said:
I think my ODST controller is about to die. Either that, or something strange happened to me. Up until today, I felt playing with sensitivity 4 to be pretty natural. I loaded up a game of Score Attack today, however, and it somehow felt completely sluggish and nonresponsive. Turning around took way too long, all of a sudden, which is something I've never had any problems with before.

So I bumped up the sensitivity, first to 7, then 8, then 9, and even now it feels like my controller is just 'resisting' when I try turning around. It's weird.

I'd open the controller and clean the analog areas. Probably from dust build-up.

Gui_PT

Just played Crazy King on Tempest

Got a Road Rage medal (being the driver of a vehicle when passengers kill 15 opponents) and 21 Wheelman medals.

I suppose the hog could be removed :lol

I really enjoyed the games I played in the MLG playlist last night. A nice change of pace.

And I take back what I said about the cage earlier. A decent team can contain the other team then entire match to that bottom section of the map. I really like sanctuary much more than asylum as well.

Top Bottom