• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Summary Man said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Bungie said that the Cage was a precursor for the map that eventually became Lockout? In other words, during development of Halo 2, the Cage was refined and tweaked multiple times until it became Lockout.

But now in Halo Reach, they give us a crude, unrefined, and inelegant map and are surprised by the backlash it's received? It's as if someone designed a map, put no additional thought into it, shipped it, and then acted surprised that people dislike it.

I agree 100% with this but Summary Man... where is the summary? :(

Defiant map pack is out insanely soon (like a week and a half) hopefully 343 will pick up the hype. BWU was interesting because im pretty sure they hyped up the last Halo 2 map pack like it was one of theyre own - it will be interesting to see 343s take on playlist management and stuff (assuming that they will take over that fully).

O D I N

bobs99 ... said:
I agree 100% with this but Summary Man... where is the summary? :(

Defiant map pack is out insanely soon (like a week and a half) hopefully 343 will pick up the hype. BWU was interesting because im pretty sure they hyped up the last Halo 2 map pack like it was one of theyre own - it will be interesting to see 343s take on playlist management and stuff (assuming that they will take over that fully).

If you were having something made for your game that you ultimately want to succeed, wouldn't you also hype up something being made for your game?

MrBig said:
Oh damn, I forgot that Defiant is coming out just next Tuesday. Fantastic. I welcome our new masters.

Huzzah for the spending of more monies!

O D I N said:
If you were having something made for your game that you ultimately want to succeed, wouldn't you also hype up something being made for your game?

Huzzah for the spending of more monies!

Thats my point. Where's the hype!?? Bungie sure aren't providing it. They havent got the information to even hype up this time around, which is odd because last time they outsourced maps to Certain Affinity they had all the images/ heatmaps/ exciting prose all over the WWU's. Theres been a big shift in interest in the background and im not sure that even 343 will provide the hype for the Defiant map pack in the next week or so.

O D I N

bobs99 ... said:
Thats my point. Where's the hype!?? Bungie sure aren't providing it. They havent got the information to even hype up this time around, which is odd because last time they outsourced maps to Certain Affinity they had all the images/ heatmaps/ exciting prose all over the WWU's. Theres been a big shift in interest in the background and im not sure that even 343 will provide the hype for the Defiant map pack in the next week or so.

Went back and reread it. Sorry, I got the exact opposite impression from you (still half asleep). My bad.

But yes, more hype please.

Blueblur1

xxjuicesxx said:
Nostalgia.

I rather enjoy these nade physics (h2's launching) much more than H3 and Reach's new "chain explosion" garbage.

Most of whats shown is luck but theres no doubt to timing a nade launch just right that can work perfectly as skill.

Also when they broke the 1v1 spawn system, it was amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yOidoXWVD0

That allowed for so many insane spawn sticks.
I should have my gamin rig up and running by next weekend. I will totally play some Halo 2 Vista then. Can't wait. :)

feel

Played some Reach (Arena, for the first time ever, no AL or Camo is niiice) last night, the game is fun after staying away for a while. WTF at evade though, who thought that was a good idea in maps with sword... :lol

At one point I was walking down a Countdown hallway with 2 teammates, and we see a fast shadow move in, then quickly disappear before we even got a glimpse of it, leaving two of us dumbfounded wondering what just happened to the now dead teammate of ours lying on the floor as we looked around... was it the Batman?? (no, just some ninja dude with evade+sword)

Louis Wu

Gui_PT said:
Oh Shogun.

I'm sure no one will catch up to his number of posts though
Heh.

Ghal's only 80 posts behind him, and averaging a bit over 5 posts per (100-post) page. This thread is averaging about 1.3 (100-post) pages/day. So if the ban lasts 2 weeks, and the current post rate continues, Ghal will be a dozen or two posts ahead of him when he returns.

/stupid math tricks

MrBig

Louis Wu said:
Heh.

Ghal's only 80 posts behind him, and averaging a bit over 5 posts per (100-post) page. This thread is averaging about 1.3 (100-post) pages/day. So if the ban lasts 2 weeks, and the current post rate continues, Ghal will be a dozen or two posts ahead of him when he returns.

/stupid math tricks
Serious businesses this is :lol

O D I N

wwm0nkey said:
Anyone else hoping they revive VIP for these new custom game requests?

I'd welcome it. I loved that Zeus gametype from H3. I can't begin to imagine how much better it could be in forge world.

Granted, you could still have a gametype similar, but it wouldn't be VIP.

wwm0nkey

O D I N said:
I'd welcome it. I loved that Zeus gametype from H3. I can't begin to imagine how much better it could be in forge world.

Granted, you could still have a gametype similar, but it wouldn't be VIP.
Well VIP is still in the game just has not been released yet. (which I think is stupid)

wwm0nkey

O D I N said:
That was also the beta. :-? What about the game release files?
Pretty sure its there to if I am remembering correctly. If Urk wants to correct me if its in the final product or not that would be great.

PNut

Banned
Letters said:
Played some Reach (Arena, for the first time ever, no AL or Camo is niiice) last night, the game is fun after staying away for a while. WTF at evade though, who thought that was a good idea in maps with sword... :lol

At one point I was walking down a Countdown hallway with 2 teammates, and we see a fast shadow move in, then quickly disappear before we even got a glimpse of it, leaving two of us dumbfounded wondering what just happened to the now dead teammate of ours lying on the floor as we looked around... was it the Batman?? (no, just some ninja dude with evade+sword)

Yeah, having Evade with shotguns and swords is not a good idea. I've sorta adapted to it now though. I learned the sword locations on all the maps and rush it at the beginning of the game now. Don't worry about going for the shotgun, sniper or RL. Sword/Evade beats everything. If you see a guy 40 feet away with a sword....run away. No way you'll get 5 shots on him curled up in a little ball rolling towards you.

Tawpgun

Ghaleon, I know you love Firefight Limited, and when I get a good game, its a blast...

But do you get input lag frequently like I do? I really like firefight, but the lag makes it near unplayable sometimes...

Gui_PT

Louis Wu said:
Heh.

/stupid math tricks

Ghal, tone it down with the posting! No one must take the throne while its rightful owner is absent!

I need to do the same

A27 Tawpgun said:
Ghaleon, I know you love Firefight Limited, and when I get a good game, its a blast...

But do you get input lag frequently like I do? I really like firefight, but the lag makes it near unplayable sometimes...

Its like only Tawpgun too, its odd. Whenever we play firefight with him it seems to be fine for the three other people and Tawpgun lags.

I would love to play some firefight limited sometime though. It almost comes close to ODST firefight...

Ramirez

PNut said:
Yeah, having Evade with shotguns and swords is not a good idea. I've sorta adapted to it now though. I learned the sword locations on all the maps and rush it at the beginning of the game now. Don't worry about going for the shotgun, sniper or RL. Sword/Evade beats everything. If you see a guy 40 feet away with a sword....run away. No way you'll get 5 shots on him curled up in a little ball rolling towards you.

dat sandbox

xxjuicesxx said:
Nostalgia.

I rather enjoy these nade physics (h2's launching) much more than H3 and Reach's new "chain explosion" garbage.

Most of whats shown is luck but theres no doubt to timing a nade launch just right that can work perfectly as skill.

Also when they broke the 1v1 spawn system, it was amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yOidoXWVD0

That allowed for so many insane spawn sticks.

Watching that video, I'm actually glad I never played Halo 2 over Xbox Live.

I would've been furious about super jumps and button combos.

As it was, I played 4 v 4 system link games at my house every day after school. No cheating. No glitching. No bouncing.

Just pure, unadulterated BR-bursting joy.

Edit: More appropriately, I'm glad that my friends never found out about that crap, lol.

Tawpgun

Speaking of button combos... would anyone want to see something like that realized in a competetive shooter?

It would be like melding fighter combo fundamentals with shooter gameplay.

Also, this is exactly what I was talking about earlier:

IGN said:
UPDATE: In a post on Bungie.net following Aldridge's GDC speech, a company rep said the MMO reference was intended to be a joke on a slide. Our editor attended Aldridge's talk, and notes that the "massively multiplayer" bit was spoken, not on a slide. She also reports that no one in the audience laughed. That, however, does not mean he wasn't joking. Having never heard Aldridge's material before, we can't accurately judge. We reached out to Bungie and Activision immediately after the GDC talk for clarification, but have not yet received a response.

And then that goes to press because a Bungie employee said it.

This wasn't some secret industry insider. It was the company itself.

Here's the tricky part: Do you wait for Bungie to get back to you, or do you publish it?

It might seem like common sense to wait, but in the journalism industry, "If you ain't first, you're last."

I'm sure IGN didn't see anybody else with the article when it went to print, so it assumed that it was beating everybody to the gate.

With Game Informer stomping the competition with big blowout game exclusives, the online companies have to compete for the little scraps leftover.

I don't blame IGN for putting it up online. It was an honest mistake. IGN has had far worse transgressions than this, but I still feel sorry for them.

Sorry for that.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:

I have good games and bad. I'd say 4/5 of them are perfectly playable, with between zero and insignificant input lag, the kind I can adjust to and forget is there a few minutes in. And the rest do have huge lag, sometimes 1-2 seconds. Worse, sometimes it's not consistent input lag. I had a game on Beachhead yesterday where the input lag would spike and recede at random, and it was just me and one other guy. It was bad, and then BAM a full 2-3 second lag. Death followed most of the time.

If you see me doing marathon Score Attack games, that's probably to wash the taste of a bad connection away.
cool_dude_2049 said:
You don't necessarily need to farm Griffball to max out close quarters. I maxed it out right around the time Griffball was first introduced. The majority of my kills are beatdowns so i'm sure his was the same.
The game finally loaded, and his history didn't have as much Griffball as I'd expected. It is a weird Commendation progression though, since his close quarters is in Onyx and halfway to maxed, and the next closest is way back at just over Gold. I don't play enough MP to get a sense of where they land, so that's what I assume at first. Dude just plays shitloads of Rumble Pit.

GhaleonEB said:
I just played with (well, almost almost - he quit before the game started) some high ranking dude (full moon rank). Whenever I see guys like that I check their Commendations to see how they got there. He's nearly maxed out the close quarters combat Commendation for multiplayer.

Farming Griffball.

You don't necessarily need to farm Griffball to max out close quarters. I maxed it out right around the time Griffball was first introduced. The majority of my kills are beatdowns so i'm sure his was the same.

feel

Oh, and I noticed Ghal has a Star nameplate in Halo Reach, was that for any specific reason or just because? Just curious.

Crucio

Letters said:
Oh, and I noticed Ghal has a Star nameplate in Halo Reach, was that for any specific reason or just because? Just curious.

The star nameplate is given to the chosen winners of the Bungie All Stars weekly contest.

Louis Wu

Hitmonchan107 said:
Also, this is exactly what I was talking about earlier:

And then that goes to press because a Bungie employee said it.

This wasn't some secret industry insider. It was the company itself.

Here's the tricky part: Do you wait for Bungie to get back to you, or do you publish it?

It might seem like common sense to wait, but in the journalism industry, "If you ain't first, you're last."

I'm sure IGN didn't see anybody else with the article when it went to print, so it assumed that it was beating everybody to the gate.

With Game Informer stomping the competition with big blowout game exclusives, the online companies have to compete for the little scraps leftover.

I don't blame IGN for putting it up online. It was an honest mistake. IGN has had far worse transgressions than this, but I still feel sorry for them.

Sorry for that.
Good points, all. If Bungie employees are going to say things like this, and then NOT clarify when asked directly, gaming press cannot really be blamed for publishing the comments.

I guess what it comes down to is what Aldridge actually said. (His note to Parsons and urk suggests that he didn't think he went off the reservation... so did he make a mistake and say "multiplayer" when he meant to say "good"... or did IGN just mishear it? If there WAS an immediate request for clarification that went unanswered, it's really hard for me to say IGN blew this.)

::shrug:: it's all sort of irrelevant, I guess; the game will be what it will be, and if Bungie really wants the astoundingly tight control on information that it seems they've been trying to hold on to, it's up to them to do a better job of making sure the right message gets out when things like this happen.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
It's cute that you guys think we'd be contacted. That would have been great! Alas. My Media inbox is almost always empty, and the media phone seldom rings. The poor thing.

On the Defiant hype front, Ellis is graciously facilitating an interview with Hoberman for us. Hopefully that hits next week, but since we're twice removed I can't make any promises. As soon as I get the answers in hand and cleanse the paperwork of beard hair and bacon-infused booze, I'll foist it all upon you for mass consumption.

I haven't seen the map pack in person. Our Test guys are slaves to policy and procedure and they are protecting the asset as if it were their own. I'm hoping Ellis will pass me the goods under shadow of night, but until then I'm waiting and watching just like you, with great anticipation.

urk said:
It's cute that you guys think we'd be contacted. That would have been great! Alas. My Media inbox is almost always empty, and the media phone seldom rings. The poor thing.
The whole time I was reading your post, this is all I could think of.

CHvGP.jpg

You are of course, Batman.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I have talked about having a pole installed for easy and comical access to the public space below the main floor. The Noble press event was rough on the posterior chain. I had to go up and down the stairs a lot, too.

Louis Wu

urk said:
Eh. I just figure if someone says "we did X" they're not lying.

I guess I'm too naive for this business. :(

(The funny thing would be if Matt Soell was getting calls about this... and hanging up because he thought they were pranks.)

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
I have good games and bad. I'd say 4/5 of them are perfectly playable, with between zero and insignificant input lag, the kind I can adjust to and forget is there a few minutes in. And the rest do have huge lag, sometimes 1-2 seconds. Worse, sometimes it's not consistent input lag. I had a game on Beachhead yesterday where the input lag would spike and recede at random, and it was just me and one other guy. It was bad, and then BAM a full 2-3 second lag. Death followed most of the time.

If you see me doing marathon Score Attack games, that's probably to wash the taste of a bad connection away.

Yeah, that sounds about consistent with me. I wonder if there is any way to fix the co-op netcode. My only explanation for it being so bad is that unlike most holdout game types, Halo's AI is very advance.

But that shouln't explain the lag in Gen Defense in the beta...

Hmm... Did we ever get an explanation as to why co-op lags but multiplayer doesn't? No other co-op game I've played has input lag.

Crucio

urk said:

The search for 7ruth is so rare. I'm surprised that almost nobody(news people) actually asks you guys questions directly.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Yeah, that sounds about consistent with me. I wonder if there is any way to fix the co-op netcode. My only explanation for it being so bad is that unlike most holdout game types, Halo's AI is very advance.

Hmm... Did we ever get an explanation as to why co-op lags but multiplayer doesn't? No other co-op game I've played has input lag.
Hrmm... I've tried explaining this numerous times... infact!

*seaches*

Aha!

Copy/Paste of an old post of mine

"Co-op & Firefight = synchronous
MP = asynchronous
See wiki comparison

In MP there is one host, what he says goes. Packets of data are sent to the host and before you receive them back your box is assuming what it sent is correct. The problem with this is when there is a really high ping game you will see warping. On your screen the rocket hits your warthog, so you go flying! The host thinks otherwise, or thinks you were hit in a slightly different spot. So you will receive the 'correct' information from the host after the rocket has hit you, causing your box to kind of go "oh shit!" and warp you to what is the 'correct' location.

Halo PC is the best example of this. The netcode is quite terrible so there is a lot of warping apparent in the game.

In Co op (synchronous) there is still a host, and what he says still goes. However you do not go until he tells you what do to.

You send in your packet of data which in it says "hey I just jumped!" so that gets sent to the host, the host takes your data and all of the others data puts it together and then sends you back a verification to go ahead. That is where the input lag comes from.

The pro's to this style of networking is 100% synchronization at all times. Though it may lag, all player see the exact same thing at all times. With AI this is especially important, and is why it is a required network model for anything involving AI.

I wish I could explain it better, and I apologize if I did a bad job... But it should help you out!"

A27 Tawpgun said:

I would venture to say that the campaign engine has something to do with it? Perhaps it just has more information to send and receive?

EDIT: Nevermind :p
Devin Olsen said:

*seaches*

Aha!

MP = asynchronous
See wiki comparison

In MP there is one host, what he says goes. Packets of data are sent to the host and before you receive them back your box is assuming what it sent is correct. The problem with this is when there is a really high ping game you will see warping. On your screen the rocket hits your warthog, so you go flying! The host thinks otherwise, or thinks you were hit in a slightly different spot. So you will receive the 'correct' information from the host after the rocket has hit you, causing your box to kind of go "oh shit!" and warp you to what is the 'correct' location.

Halo PC is the best example of this. The netcode is quite terrible so there is a lot of warping apparent in the game.

In Co op (synchronous) there is still a host, and what he says still goes. However you do not go until he tells you what do to.

You send in your packet of data which in it says "hey I just jumped!" so that gets sent to the host, the host takes your data and all of the others data puts it together and then sends you back a verification to go ahead. That is where the input lag comes from.

The pro's to this style of networking is 100% synchronization at all times. Though it may lag, all player see the exact same thing at all times. With AI this is especially important, and is why it is a required network model for anything involving AI.

I wish I could explain it better, and I apologize if I did a bad job... But it should help you out!"

Oozer3993

Letters said:

I'm guessing its because he's one of the community members tasked with filtering out the best maps from their respective communities.

urk said:

xSZrR.jpg

A27 Tawpgun said:

Multiplayer and co-op use 2 different networking models, hence the different performance (see Devin's excellent post for more on that). And compared to other co-op games, Reach has more things to keep track of and all that information has to be synced between all the players in the game. That includes every enemy (and there are usually more of them than in other games), every shot fired, every grenade, and every piece of geometry than can be affected by physics.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Louis Wu said:
Eh. I just figure if someone says "we did X" they're not lying.

I guess I'm too naive for this business. :(

(The funny thing would be if Matt Soell was getting calls about this... and hanging up because he thought they were pranks.)
If Matt is getting calls, I hope he is fielding them on our behalf and recording every word.

And I don't mean to slide game journalists under the bus. I bet most don't know that we have an official media bin, and those that do are apparently well off barons from faraway lands that need some assistance transferring money to the States.

In this case, there's no real reason to contact us. David said what he said and people reported on it. I'd rather take some flak on the team's behalf them turn them into stodgy PR mouthpieces. That's my job.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Generator Defense was testing the new campaign/firefight netcode, so it lagged as a result.

Tawpgun

Devin Olsen said:

*seaches*

Aha!

MP = asynchronous
See wiki comparison

That makes sense, but it doesn't explain why other co-op modes in other games have no input lag at all. Is it because Bungie made a bad netcode? Or is it because for one reason or another, Halo is more advanced than those games? I want to say the latter because Bungie has proven themselves in MUTLIPLAYER networking... but at the same time Halo doesn't seem that much more advanced than the other games...

urk said:
If Matt is getting calls, I hope he is fielding them on our behalf and recording every word.

And I don't mean to slide game journalists under the bus. I bet most don't know that we have an official media bin, and those that do are apparently well off barons from faraway lands that need some assistance transferring money to the States.

In this case, there's no real reason to contact us. David said what he said and people reported on it. I'd rather take some flak on the team's behalf them turn them into stodgy PR mouthpieces. That's my job.

URK: Taking one of the team.

Better be careful, that's how half of Noble Team died >.>

It's taking flak today, crashing your pelican into a scarab tomorrow!

Louis Wu

urk said:

Heh - I hope if anyone's still sending Matt PR questions about Bungie, that they're working for a magazine based in Elbonia - there's really no other excuse.

My comment was made in light of the response from IGN:
IGN's MMO article said:
We reached out to Bungie and Activision immediately after the GDC talk for clarification, but have not yet received a response.

I don't know exactly what "reached out" means - but the reasonable assumption is it means "we dropped email to the Bungie mouthpiece(s) that we know" or "we called the number we have for Bungie PR". Since (as far as I know) there IS no phone number for Bungie PR, I was going with the first one - so if you received nothing, then either you're lying, or whoever wrote that sentence in the IGN article is lying, or they contacted some OTHER public-facing Bungie email address and were ignored. Choice A seems unprecedented. Choice C seems unlikely (there aren't many public-facing addresses, at all). Hmm...

Whatever. It doesn't really matter; information about Bungie's next project will become public sooner or later, and when it does, this misunderstanding will be utterly forgotten.

If I was a guessing man, I would think IGN wrote to media[at]bungie.com.

Urk, maybe you should add a media contact e-mail to the "Contact Us" section of the website.

That way, if something like this happens again, you could say, "All you had to do was check the website. An easy and viable way to contact me to have your questions answered is right there."

Edit: Actually, adding a Media section to the site would be more appropriate.

An easily accessible e-mail might not be the best decision, given how hardcore some of the studio's fans are.

As it stands, searching for contact information leads me to Brian Jarrard and not you.

neclas

Hitmonchan107 said:
add a media contact e-mail to the "Contact Us" section of the website
It pains me to think how many fans (non-media) would use the address to try to be heard.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Edit: An easily accessible e-mail might not be the best decision, given how hardcore some of the studio's fans are.
Damn your editing powers!

Top Bottom