• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
HiredN00bs said:
Just what kind of development team do you think 343 is? They made a website, and an app for 360 and WP7.

HiredN00bs

(Today, 10:47 PM)
Reply | Quote

Tashi0106 said:

HiredN00bs

(Today, 10:47 PM)
Reply | Quote
Are you saying that because I'm a new user I'm incapable of following industry news? Perhaps you'd like to contribute a substantive response. If 343i is such a talented and resourced development house that is potentially making a remake of Halo:CE, why would they contract an outside developer to make maps for an already-built game?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HiredN00bs said:
Why contract Certain Affinity to make maps?

Technically, they worked together with them. It wasn't a simple solo venture for CA.

HiredN00bs said:
If 343i is such a talented and resourced development house... why would they contract an outside developer to make maps for an already-built game?

Time and resourcing saving partnership?

While it certainly seems that game development is something they're working towards (based on their job listings), it is presumptuous to think they will produce a game even close in quality to the ones made by Bungie. A development house is more than the sum of its parts, and they have no track record to go on.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
HiredN00bs said:
Are you saying that because I'm a new user I'm incapable of following industry news? Perhaps you'd like to contribute a substantive response. If 343i is such a talented and resourced development house that is potentially making a remake of Halo:CE, why would they contract an outside developer to make maps for an already-built game?
It's a joke saying the people at 343i are hired noobs. Not you, but noobs that have been hired there...get it?

Welcome btw.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HiredN00bs said:
While it certainly seems that game development is something they're working towards (based on their job listings), it is presumptuous to think they will produce a game even close in quality to the ones made by Bungie. A development house is more than the sum of its parts, and they have no track record to go on.

Why poop on their parade dude? Who is being presumptuous? Folks are hoping they will hit the high bar that Bungie set. Whilst it true that as a company they are unproven, they certainly have the talent and the passion to take a stab at it. Besides, we're talking future crazy talk here. Not today, tomorrow or this year. Crazy talk.

feel

kylej said:
First time playing H3 since August. There are more people playing ranked Team Slayer than Arena. lmao.
I noticed this too earlier today.

Was playing reach arena with friends, we were getting destroyed by people using all kinds of bullshit like sword+evade, we decided to play Halo 3 instead and surprise surprise there was a higher number of people playing ranked there. We proceeded to get destroyed there too, but at least it was fair and square. We ended up playing online Kinect Sports rofl.

Dani said:
Why poop on their parade dude? Who is being presumptuous? Folks are hoping they will hit the high bar that Bungie set. Whilst it true that as a company they are unproven, they certainly have the talent and the passion to take a stab at it. Besides, we're talking future crazy talk here. Not today, tomorrow or this year. Crazy talk.
I suppose I'd prefer to be pessimistic and pleasantly surprised rather than hopeful and disappointed.

It is news to me that 343 Industries is building towards a full-fledged AAA game development studio. Does anyone know how many job postings have been made and taken down? The current list seems pretty varied, which could suggest they're just getting things started.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HiredN00bs said:
It is news to me that 343 Industries is building towards a full-fledged AAA game development studio.

News to you? It's pretty old hat around here. It's been no secret that they will be making the next major Halo game and continuing the franchise in addition to all of their current and future non-video game efforts.

Expect an announcement either this E3 or the next regarding a proper Halo title from them for certain.

Havok

HiredN00bs said:
I suppose I'd prefer to be pessimistic and pleasantly surprised rather than hopeful and disappointed.

It is news to me that 343 Industries is building towards a full-fledged AAA game development studio. Does anyone know how many job postings have been made and taken down? The current list seems pretty varied, which could suggest they're just getting things started.
You don't hire a key Kojima Productions member, some former Bungie animators, and the tech wizard that got portal rendering technology used in Prey to work in 1998 unless you're planning on making some big games.

Dani said:
News to you? It's pretty old hat around here. It's been no secret that they will be making the next major Halo game and continuing the franchise in addition to all of their current and future non-video game efforts.

Expect an announcement either this E3 or the next regarding a proper Halo title from them for certain.
Oh, is it old hat? I thought it was just the other day that Frankie confirmed the next major entry in the franchise would be developed "in-house". I took that to mean MGS, not specifically 343 Industries. Viewing the job-postings just now was a revelation to me, but even the oldest of those aren't more than a few weeks old. I guess in internet-time that is like a decade.

Havok said:
You don't hire a key Kojima Productions member, some former Bungie animators, and the tech wizard that got portal rendering technology used in Prey to work in 1998 unless you're planning on making some big games.
Knew about Ryan Payton. Still, a producer, a couple animators and a game designer doesn't equal BIG games. I was mistaken, but it's not that ridiculous of a mistake given what I knew before.

kylej

Banned
wow just got crapped on. lost my 50 in TS. won 2/3 at 50 TS though so hey. this game is reaaaaaaaaaaaaally hard to come back to; feels like I'm playing in slow motion.

GhaleonEB

HiredN00bs said:
Oh, is it old hat? I thought it was just the other day that Frankie confirmed the next major entry in the franchise would be developed "in-house". I took that to mean MGS, not specifically 343 Industries. Viewing the job-postings just now was a revelation to me, but even the oldest of those aren't more than a few weeks old. I guess in internet-time that is like a decade.
343i is a studio/org within MGS, chartered with carrying on the Halo franchise. They've been hiring and building up some high-profile staff ever since the split with Bungie was announced in the fall of 2007. It's now known that they have the Reach engine and are in the process of taking over the nuts and bolts of maintaining that game.

343i is all about Halo going forward, they won't be handing it to anyone else.

GhaleonEB said:
343i is a studio/org within MGS, chartered with carrying on the Halo franchise. They've been hiring and building up some high-profile staff ever since the split with Bungie was announced in the fall of 2007. It's now known that they have the Reach engine and are in the process of taking over the nuts and bolts of maintaining that game.

343i is all about Halo going forward, they won't be handing it to anyone else.

didn't they also recently move into bungie's old building? if they've got a building that size, you better believe they're intending to staff up to the size of bungie circa 2007, for sure.

As far as I can tell, 343 has three "arms" - a dev house, the waypoint/community team, and the IP/brand management arm (that works with Tor and all their other merchandising partners).

The dev house is skunkworks for now, but I'm sure they're doing something. You don't hire a celebrated engine programmer to build Waypoint.

oddworld18 said:
didn't they also recently move into bungie's old building? if they've got a building that size, you better believe they're intending to staff up to the size of bungie circa 2007, for sure.

As far as I can tell, 343 has three "arms" - a dev house, the waypoint/community team, and the IP/brand management arm (that works with Tor and all their other merchandising partners).

The dev house is skunkworks for now, but I'm sure they're doing something. You don't hire a celebrated engine programmer to build Waypoint.
So basically a sword, a bow, and an axe.

Kuroyume

Banned
Isn't the Reach number how many people are currently on where as the 3 number is a 24 hour count?

Btw, if 343 has the Reach engine does that mean they plan to use it again for the next game? I like the way Reach looks but the frame rate is a problem. I would like to see them use something new and get something smoother in there.

Kuroyume said:
Btw, if 343 has the Reach engine does that mean they plan to use it again for the next game? I like the way Reach looks but the frame rate is a problem. I would like to see them use something new and get something smoother in there.
I've very rarely had any framerate issues. Trying to zoom through smoke in some campaign levels, and on Glacier, where you're pretty much guaranteed to experience slowdowns. But besides that? I'm not seeing the problem, and I'd consider myself a framerate whore. (I do wish there was something they could do about Glacier though.)

Was just playing a few matches of co-op Fragfight on Beachhead, Waterfront and Overlook and I was amazed at how much STUFF this engine can have going on at once. All the frags and secondary explosions, enemy fire, bodies flying everywhere. Its freakin nuts what this engine can accomplish in terms of sheer chaos.

Edit: Just played a match of Firefight limited. At the voting screen one player dropped out, but they were splitscreening so the match was down two. By the time the match loaded it was just me and my lonesome against the covenant. Thanks Reach community, you're the best ;P

darthbob

A27 Tawpgun said:
I remember looking at the job postings for 343 and many of them had shipping a AAA title a requirement. Jesus.

Does that really surprise you?

I mean, a company like that won't hire some kid so he can stay at home all day and "design guns".

NullPointer said:
I've very rarely had any framerate issues. Trying to zoom through smoke in some campaign levels, and on Glacier, where you're pretty much guaranteed to experience slowdowns. But besides that? I'm not seeing the problem, and I'd consider myself a framerate whore. (I do wish there was something they could do about Glacier though.)

Was just playing a few matches of co-op Fragfight on Beachhead, Waterfront and Overlook and I was amazed at how much STUFF this engine can have going on at once. All the frags and secondary explosions, enemy fire, bodies flying everywhere. Its freakin nuts what this engine can accomplish in terms of sheer chaos.
I think a lot of people are mis-identifying freezing as drops in framerate. I installed the game to my HDD (Reach Limited Edition Console) on launch day, and ever since then, I would have moments where the game would freeze 4 times in succession. I saw this happen in all sorts of gametypes in matchmaking, single-player firefight and campaign games, and even once in the menu. I think it is an issue related to the HDD installation, because I cleared my hard drive and have been playing off disc for a week now and have not experienced it once.

Dax01 said:
So basically a sword, a bow, and an axe.

LAWLZ

darthbob said:

I mean, a company like that won't hire some kid so he can stay at home all day and "design guns".

Yeah, Microsoft isn't exactly a company that hires underqualified employees on a regular basis haha. Last time I checked they were a ridiculously successful corporation.

darthbob said:

No, but shipping a AAA game is a pretty stringent requirement. You're eliminating the acquisition of upcoming talent and playing it safe with people who've already proven themselves. It's a management choice that is not without flaw.

Karl2177

HiredN00bs said:
I think a lot of people are mis-identifying freezing as drops in framerate. I installed the game to my HDD (Reach Limited Edition Console) on launch day, and ever since then, I would have moments where the game would freeze 4 times in succession. I saw this happen in all sorts of gametypes in matchmaking, single-player firefight and campaign games, and even once in the menu. I think it is an issue related to the HDD installation, because I cleared my hard drive and have been playing off disc for a week now and have not experienced it once.
Never had that. In fact I've never heard that complaint. Most of the framerate drops occur on Forged maps. Look at Asylum for example: Looking down the center corridor(snipe to snipe) will cause your framerate to drop from about 30 fps to 20-25 fps. It may not seem like much, but the other dudes are still going at 30, so you could be a couple frames behind where they really are.

darthbob

HiredN00bs said:
No, but shipping a AAA game is a pretty stringent requirement. You're eliminating the acquisition of upcoming talent and playing it safe with people who've already proven themselves. It's a management choice that is not without flaw.

Fair enough, it isolates talent that wouldn't have had a chance.

Thus, was the job market for me for a long time. (how the hell can i get a job without any experience?! Now I work in Tech Support.)

HiredN00bs said:

why would MS contract an outside company to build a map pack for halo 2, or for halo waypoint? You act as if this is the first time.

I mean have you ever looked at company who's making the map pack? They've done the same thing for other franchises like COD and L4D. Not to mention it's founded by former members of bungie.

Booties

Banned
Haven't played much halo since getting blops. Let's see what I can do:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=512365401&player=Booties

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaart. 1540 in 4 games. nbd.

I love that first day of arena when the game just pairs you against anthropomorphic beings that can manage a -20 game.

Like the long ass arena seasons too, not that I'd play enough of it for it to matter anyway
again
. Seriously, just give me a number that resets every month and I'll be cool. One of the problems with halo 3 ranks was that people who lost a lot had a hell of a time leveling up. Stroke the penis of the BK. Reset that 25 after 30 days and give him a fresh start at breaking 30.

kylej said:
wow just got crapped on. lost my 50 in TS. won 2/3 at 50 TS though so hey. this game is reaaaaaaaaaaaaally hard to come back to; feels like I'm playing in slow motion.

saw you online. couldn't join bc my ODST MP disc is too scratched and idk what maps I have on my hard drive for halo 3. I still want to level my TS up. It's still young and hardly has any bad games.

GhaleonEB said:
Great games, Hitmonchan107. We should get together and force Legendary on poor unsuspecting randoms more often. That Corvette game was bonkers.

Most fun I've had with Reach in awhile. Thanks!

There's nothing better than getting pincered by Elite Rangers. Epic.

GhaleonEB said:

Every time you drove toward the shore, I thought you were going to plummet into the water.

wwm0nkey

Well just got done with my little party and me and my friends played some Halo 2. Apparently its like 20 FPS with 4 player split screen so we had to restrict it to 3 players but my god, so...sooo much fun. My friend was destroying with the most unconventional weapons (dual needlers)

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
equil said:
So we could still play halo2 online through this right?
Technically yes, though I tried about a month ago and couldn't find any active games. Could have just been the time of day I logged on, though.

Booties said:
Haven't played much halo since getting blops. Let's see what I can do:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=512365401&player=Booties

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaart. 1540 in 4 games. nbd.

I love that first day of arena when the game just pairs you against anthropomorphic beings that can manage a -20 game.

Like the long ass arena seasons too, not that I'd play enough of it for it to matter anyway
again
. Seriously, just give me a number that resets every month and I'll be cool. One of the problems with halo 3 ranks was that people who lost a lot had a hell of a time leveling up. Stroke the penis of the BK. Reset that 25 after 30 days and give him a fresh start at breaking 30.

Just to clarify, you are aware that the game ratings in Arena don't mean anything anymore. You are no longer placed in trueskill by your rating.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hypertrooper said:
I haven't said that there are new information. I only said that this is a new interview. And it is a new interview :p

Sorry, that was a spelling mistake that popped out at me within a few seconds. I don't post like that if I can help it. =)

343 Industries' Halo title is rumoured to be heading for a November 2011 release to coincide with Halo's 10th anniversary.

So, Halo 4 this November? Saweet. =P

Played some fantastic Double Team with a friend this weekend. So good now they've taken invis and armour lock out of it.

Now they just need to drop evade, hologram, sprint, jetpack, bloom, increase the running speed, increase the jump height....

I kid. It was fun.

Just need Jeremiah to get the Classic Playlist up and ready, and I'll be a happy man.

Steelyuhas said:
Speaking of the sight name there, why haven't we heard about the achievements that are coming with Defiant? We have to hear about them this week, but I felt like we knew the Noble achievements before the week before release.
There are a lot of events for the Defiant Mappack this week.(Microsoft's Seattle Event/PAX East) Defiant is coming out tomorrow in a week. So this would be the week, where we get all the stuff. A new Sparkast is coming, and a lot of user impression, too. And I think 343i will publish a lot of videos and the achievements, of course.

KevinRo

Hey sorry I couldn't tell you guys thanks since I chewed my mic off but thanks Shadow, Xenocock and Hungee.

I got the weekly challenge at the last minute >.>

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
KevinRo said:
Hey sorry I couldn't tell you guys thanks since I chewed my mic off but thanks Shadow, Xenocock and Hungee.

I got the weekly challenge at the last minute >.>
LMAO, it's all good man, glad to help.

Top Bottom