• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

kylej said:
My spartan still hasn't updated since launch.
Mine too!

*High Fives*

Edit:
Gui_PT said:
Bungie All Stars - Week 9
Take an epic screenshot of the UNSC Falcon doing what it does best.

Who wants to get a huge party of GAFfers, take a cool screenshot and submit it at a team?
I'm down for that tomorrow afternoon

Detox

Genesis Knight said:
So....map pack next week. Anyone pumped?

I won't be buying the map pack as I'm really starting to not feel Reach the only reason why I play it seems to be because it's Halo. Also I'm disappointed in the Noble Map pack's matchmaking integration. They never seem to come up for me except Anchor 9 in Arena Doubles and that was ruined by rockets respawning every 90secs.

NullPointer said:
I can't justify $10 for one firefight map. I just can't.

Once you stretch your sphincters that much there's no going back.

So you're paying $10 for one Firefight map that happens to come with 2 free Multiplayer maps?

I'm paying $10 for 2 awesome Multiplayer maps and a free bonus Firefight map.

:p

Gui_PT

LosDaddie said:
Yes, me. Would be nice to get 12k Cr in about 15min. I'm usually on XBL starting around 10pm EDT

That might be a bit too late for me. I'll try to be on. If not, and you don't get anyone else in the meantime, we can do it some other day.

Devin Olsen said:
I'm down for that tomorrow afternoon

We should schedule something and try to get as many people as possible. IF that's fine with HaloGAF that we do it.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hypertrooper said:
XBOX360achievements.org have a new interview with Frankie online:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...ise-Development-Director--343-Industries.html

I love you so much, Frank.

You've said that with the next Halo you don't want to iterate but innovate. Are you concerned therefore that people might then say that since the franchise has gone from Bungie to 343 Industries that you've ruined it, if you change it too much?

Absolutely, but we have a huge advantage over somebody trying to make a new franchise or make a new game, and that's the core mechanics and the whole universe are incredibly strong. So, if ain't broke, don't fix it. But when I said we should innovate, that's where the kind of quantum leaps and geometric improvements come from, is innovation. And an innovation in Halo 3 that doesn't affect the gameplay one iota, is Theatre Mode and the ability to customise levels with Forge. These are things that feed back into that core experience that you love, and that's where you innovate. You don't try to innovate the fun out of something, you innovate to make it ever more enjoyable and more accessible.

So so much.

CyReN

Detox said:
I won't be buying the map pack as I'm really starting to not feel Reach the only reason why I play it seems to be because it's Halo. Also I'm disappointed in the Noble Map pack's matchmaking integration. They never seem to come up for me except Anchor 9 in Arena Doubles and that was ruined by rockets respawning every 90secs.

I'm on the same boat in a way, I haven't enjoyed a halo map pack since they released the one with Foundry. I remember in Halo 2 every map pack was amazing, don't know what happened.

CyReN said:
I'm on the same boat in a way, I haven't enjoyed a halo map pack since they released the one with Foundry. I remember in Halo 2 every map pack was amazing, don't know what happened.
*Not blaming you*
But this is the reason that the Map Packs will continue to be less and less worthwhile. With each additional map pack less and less of the community have all of the DLC maps... It's already quite uncommon the get DLC maps in regular MM, I can't imagine how hard it'll be to get the Defiant Maps in MM.

Shame :(

Major Williams said:
- The MMO rumor started as unfounded speculation on a presentation at the GDC that was meant to be sarcastic. Sarcasm gone wrong.

The weekly update stated that yes, it was a joke at GDC. They are not confirming that their next game is an MMO, but it no way did they say it is not an MMO.

Personally, I think it is going to be an MMO, or at least something with a large MMO influence that draws on FPS gameplay.

GhaleonEB said:
Yes. I'm curious how the Firefight map is going to be implemented, because I'm going to try and play the living hell out of it (and the BTB map). I haven't been this hyped for Halo DLC in a long time.

I am curious to see how the Firefight map is implemented as well. As for the BTB map (and Condemned for that matter), I think Noble shows us that the implementation will be poor.

CyReN

I am biased since I love MLG settings/competitive halo.

If they had one arena like map (Damnation, Beaver Creek, The Pit) etc I would be all over it, I just can't stand these huge maps or a map that can be used for competitive play and has a "gimmick" to ruin it.

Anchor 9 was good, just didn't like the space thing (enjoyed it in sp). Condemned looks good but the gravity thing in the map again ruins it.

I wll be buying the map pack since it's a day after my bday and I haven't bought anything in awhile and have the points.

GhaleonEB

Frankles said:
And an innovation in Halo 3 that doesn't affect the gameplay one iota, is Theatre Mode and the ability to customise levels with Forge. These are things that feed back into that core experience that you love, and that's where you innovate. You don't try to innovate the fun out of something, you innovate to make it ever more enjoyable and more accessible.
This made me very happy. So much of what I love about Halo are the features that are built over the core game, such as Forge and Theater. Glad to see Frankie talking about them.
Steelyuhas said:
I am curious to see how the Firefight map is implemented as well. As for the BTB map (and Condemned for that matter), I think Noble shows us that the implementation will be poor.
I'm guessing the DLC playlist will be updated so that at least one Defiant map is in the mix, but otherwise, yeah. I'd expect most people play it there.

Hopefully there's a Firefight DLC playlist that has a nice heavy run.

Devin Olsen said:
*Not blaming you*
But this is the reason that the Map Packs will continue to be less and less worthwhile. With each additional map pack less and less of the community have all of the DLC maps... It's already quite uncommon the get DLC maps in regular MM, I can't imagine how hard it'll be to get the Defiant Maps in MM.

Shame :(

I tend to like certain maps in the map packs, not the map pack its self.

Blueblur1

GhaleonEB said:
This made me very happy. So much of what I love about Halo are the features that are built over the core game, such as Forge and Theater. Glad to see Frankie talking about them.
Same goes for me. I'm not interested in gameplay tweaks or changes. What I want from the next Halo is classic Halo gameplay, prettier graphics and more amazing features. Looks like Frankie knows what's up! I'm very happy with those comments.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm guessing the DLC playlist will be updated so that at least one Defiant map is in the mix, but otherwise, yeah. I'd expect most people play it there.

Hopefully there's a Firefight DLC playlist that has a nice heavy run.

Oh yeah I'm sure Highlands and Condemned will be added to the 6v6 DLC playlist and/or the Noble one will be retired and it will just be a 6v6 playlist featuring Highlands and Condemned. What upsets me though is just like Noble, the maps will not show up in the regular playlists (especially a Big Team issue with the extreme lack of quality big team maps on the disc).

It will be interesting to see if there is a DLC playlist for the firefight map. The one good thing about a Firefight DLC map is at least you will always be able to play it in score attack.

Frankie said:
And an innovation in Halo 3 that doesn't affect the gameplay one iota, is Theatre Mode and the ability to customise levels with Forge. These are things that feed back into that core experience that you love, and that's where you innovate. You don't try to innovate the fun out of something, you innovate to make it ever more enjoyable and more accessible.

So is it time for the GAF rumor mill to churn out another gem?
Halo 2 XBLA remake with Theater Mode and Forge! Feature parity! Feature parity!

ncsuDuncan said:

No need for forge in H2, maps are already perfect.

CyReN

Steelyuhas said:
No need for forge in H2, maps are already perfect.

Agreed.

but I wouldn't mine having them for maps like Foundation when I glitched out of the map with friends. Oh the many hours we put into that, good times. (In customs)

CyReN said:
Agreed.

but I wouldn't mine having them for maps like Foundation when I glitched out of the map with friends. Oh the many hours we put into that, good times. (In customs)
You mean hopping out of the window? lol

I loved Halo 2, all of it's flaws made it so enjoyable to play with friends (in customs).

Headlong will probably go down as the best tricking map in History... I would honestly just load that map up and play around when I had nothing else to do.

darthbob

ncsuDuncan said:

Recall that Halo 2 was going to have a Saved Films feature?

Forge in Halo 2 would be fun, if only for spending countless hours trying to block the lifts on Colossus or stopping the train in Terminal.

CyReN

Devin Olsen said:
You mean hopping out of the window? lol

I loved Halo 2, all of it's flaws made it so enjoyable to play with friends (in customs).

Headlong will probably go down as the best tricking map in History... I would honestly just load that map up and play around when I had nothing else to do.

No not that part, anyone can do that lol. I was referring to sword canceling into space on the map. I believe it was foundation.

darthbob said:
Recall that Halo 2 was going to have a Saved Films feature?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ug1ZnyY2EA

LosDaddie

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
So....map pack next week. Anyone pumped?

eh...I'll probably buy them. Maybe not at launch, but within a couple weeks. Reach is the only shooter I plan on playing online until Gears3 drops. So I might as well buy the maps...I think. I have to see if any of my Halo buds are going to buy them.

I wish the map pack was all MP maps though. I do enjoy FF, but I mainly play MP.

Gui_PT said:
Bungie All Stars - Week 9
Take an epic screenshot of the UNSC Falcon doing what it does best.

Who wants to get a huge party of GAFfers, take a cool screenshot and submit it at a team?

I'm down. Looks like scheduling a meet-up might be a little tricky though....

Gui_PT said:
That might be a bit too late for me. I'll try to be on. If not, and you don't get anyone else in the meantime, we can do it some other day..

That's cool. I might be able to get on a little earlier, but being a gamer-dad, my free time doesn't usually start until around 10pm.

I'm in no rush though. I have until Thurs night to get it done (I'm heading out of town in Fri).

A27_StarWolf said:
but the train is so much fun :D
No, no, I know--I'm saying, like, did you ever spend a couple hours with friends trying to stop the wheel on Last Resort? Or knocking Epitaph's platform out of its little gravity well thing? Just imagine that, but with Halo 2. And the train going at 500 mph.

Zee-V70 said:
No, no, I know--I'm saying, like, did you ever spend a couple hours with friends trying to stop the wheel on Last Resort? Or knocking Epitaph's platform out of its little gravity well thing? Just imagine that, but with Halo 2. And the train going at 500 mph.

you can stop the wheel?

darthbob

A27_StarWolf said:
The Halo Reach UI is amazing though !

Indeed, shame I rarely look at the Firefight lobby.

Also, if you've ever seen Halo 2's mainmenu.map without the 'blue filter', it's pretty crazy.

Not something I'd want forever, but still, looks awesome.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hypertrooper said:
XBOX360achievements.org have a new interview with Frankie online:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...ise-Development-Director--343-Industries.html
So, we'll see the fan reaction will be a combination of people who don't care who makes this stuff, which is most people, but the hardcore fans are the ones we pay the most attention to an a day-to-day basis, and they're going to be scrutinising and we'll be scrutinising their reaction.
At least someone's listening and will be listening.

blamite

Dax01 said:
Cool videos. Though it again reminds me that doing glitches in halo 2 was more fun than playing the actual game...which is kind of sad.
I don't even know what to say to this... I... just... no.

What I found interesting that the two options in voicemasking weren't just on and off; they were "Off" and "Anonymous." Maybe Bungie intended on more masking options, like an "Everyone speaks in G Major" voice for Halloween, or "Everyone speaks with their pitch increased by 600%" voice for April Fool's, or something like that?

Not sure if anyone will even remember this... But it's a glitch that a couple of us found back in the day... Essentially it was a de-sync of character bipeds between host/client.

Check out the video

The glitch was called 'Dummying'... These were the basic steps.

1) Had to be an Elite
2) Get inside the passenger seat of the warthog
3) Hold x to get out, and at rapidly tap punch

- On everyone else's screen you will get OUT of the warthog, but on your screen you remain in the warthog.

*You CANNOT take any steps... You can punch, crouch, shoot, etc... But if you move you will warp back to where your player is showing up for everyone else

At this point there are a bunch of things you can do... One thing (the main reason they patched it so quickly) you can do is get brought to the enemy base and (if done right) get out and be ontop of the enemy flag. ** Keep in mind NO ONE can see you... As far as the game is concerned you are still back safely at your base ** Once you're ontop of the flag hold x to pick it up and then right trigger to drop it... When you drop it the flag drops where your player model actually is in game (back at base). Using this method you could capture the flag 5 times in a row in about 5 seconds.

Oh boy I miss Halo 2.

Yes Devin, I remember that. Glitching Halo 2 was some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game. Getting out of those maps was like exploring a brand new planet for the first time.

GhaleonEB

The Lamonster said:
So HaloGAF, is 343i making Halo Remake or Halo 4?
Yes?

Not sure. They've got something lined up that we'll be playing this fall; could be the rumored Halo 1 remake or something else, like a collection of classic MP maps. And they're doing Halo 4.

FourDoor

Devin Olsen said:
Not sure if anyone will even remember this... But it's a glitch that a couple of us found back in the day... Essentially it was a de-sync of character bipeds between host/client.

Check out the video

1) Had to be an Elite

- On everyone else's screen you will get OUT of the warthog, but on your screen you remain in the warthog.

*You CANNOT take any steps... You can punch, crouch, shoot, etc... But if you move you will warp back to where your player is showing up for everyone else

At this point there are a bunch of things you can do... One thing (the main reason they patched it so quickly) you can do is get brought to the enemy base and (if done right) get out and be ontop of the enemy flag. ** Keep in mind NO ONE can see you... As far as the game is concerned you are still back safely at your base ** Once you're ontop of the flag hold x to pick it up and then right trigger to drop it... When you drop it the flag drops where your player model actually is in game (back at base). Using this method you could capture the flag 5 times in a row in about 5 seconds.

Oh boy I miss Halo 2.

Ahh the memories of doing this in Waterworks on BTB!

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
Cool videos. Though it again reminds me that doing glitches in halo 2 was more fun than playing the actual game...which is kind of sad.
Obviously you where playing Halo 2 very wrong if that is the case. The only real time I did glitches in Halo 2 where those glitch custom games, the gameplay of Halo 2 was just flat out fun.

I will never forget 1 flag (or any object type) on Terminal, Relic, Coag, Headlong or Burial Mounds.

wwm0nkey

Havok said:
Dummying was the fucking worst and people that did it in matchmaking get sent to a special level of hell.
That never actually happened to me in all of my time playing Halo 2. Now getting modded after passing level 34....every time.

Seriously bring back Halo 2 minus the mods will be amazing :D

Oozer3993

Gui_PT said:
That might be a bit too late for me. I'll try to be on. If not, and you don't get anyone else in the meantime, we can do it some other day.

We should schedule something and try to get as many people as possible. IF that's fine with HaloGAF that we do it.

I'm down for both of those.

Devin Olsen said:
Don't judge me, I made this video a couple days after Halo 2 came out.

Pretty awesome though

[T]rickity Trick Three

That brings back some great memories. Headlong was just wonderful.

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:

Check out the video

1) Had to be an Elite

Oh boy I miss Halo 2.
This is the kind of stuff that ruined Halo 2's matchmaking. Do not miss.
Havok said:
Dummying was the fucking worst and people that did it in matchmaking get sent to a special level of hell.
FourDoor said:
The hackers/cheats is what ruined H2 matchmaking for me. When the other team could shoot you from across the map with bullets that were not even aimed at you, it was time to quit H2 for me.
Um, that IS a cheat. How is it not?

Many, many games on Coag or Waterworks where our flag would suddenly vanish and get capped over and over. I assure you this was not fun to experience. You actually did this to people? :\

Top Bottom