• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

A27 Tawpgun said:
I remember looking at the job postings for 343 and many of them had shipping a AAA title a requirement. Jesus.

Almost all of the game development jobs posted for non-indie devs require or highly recommend having shipped a AAA title. I think it mostly has to do with the time commitment during crunch time and domain knowledge of how a game is developed with the collaboration between departments.

Striker

Kuroyume said:
Btw, if 343 has the Reach engine does that mean they plan to use it again for the next game? I like the way Reach looks but the frame rate is a problem. I would like to see them use something new and get something smoother in there.
I'm sure they'll revisit the code and change things to their liking. I personally hope it goes back to the original Halo roots, i.e. Halo: CE and Halo 2 with the basic gameplay and no foul outs like AA or equipment hampering combat. And releasing every Halo 2 map on disc for MP not including Gemini and Backwash, everything else though.

Classic playlist needs to release. :)

Gui_PT

Nightfall: LASO - 12000cR

Complete Nightfall, Legendary, All Skulls On (LASO).

Niiiiiiiiice

Edit: Anyone want to party up?

Gui_PT said:
Nightfall: LASO - 12000cR

Complete Nightfall, Legendary, All Skulls On (LASO).

Niiiiiiiiice

Edit: Anyone want to party up?

Can I just sit back and reap the reward? LASO is f'in hard I can't do that shit.

OOO Linked Up is a 3k challenge again. I'll grab that!

Tawpgun

Nightfall, at least from my experience, will be easier to do than Sword Base. But I've never done it LASO so...

Safe to say, the sniper is going to be useless, but I am going to whore camo SO hard.

Gui_PT

A27 Tawpgun said:
Nightfall, at least from my experience, will be easier to do than Sword Base. But I've never done it LASO so...

Safe to say, the sniper is going to be useless, but I am going to whore camo SO hard.

Go with Sprint, baby

Tawpgun

Crucio said:
Is this a LASO or a LASOEB?
There's no blind.

Also, can the banhammer detect when someone is consistently dealing damage to his teammates, but not killing them? Because I had one guy trailing me the entire game. Especially when I got a power weapon. And he was doing it to other teammates too. Like not even trying to kill anyone, just going around pegging teammates.

Tawpgun

Ok. I know this is how it was on Coag and all that, and I know it spawned in the base in Blood Gulch...

But the shotgun kills objective games on Hemorrhage. I'm playing one flag and its near impossible to get the flag out since there's always a shotgun inside there. And he could have Camo, Armor Lock, or even a drop shield...

Willeth

Man, I love the LASO weeklies, but I'm not looking forward to Long Night. I guess it'll be better than the solo Legendary run, though.

I'm just hoping that eventually we'll get Vidmaster-style specific ones, or something like 'win a lap of Reach Racer'.

Karl2177 said:
Never had that. In fact I've never heard that complaint. Most of the framerate drops occur on Forged maps. Look at Asylum for example: Looking down the center corridor(snipe to snipe) will cause your framerate to drop from about 30 fps to 20-25 fps. It may not seem like much, but the other dudes are still going at 30, so you could be a couple frames behind where they really are.
Really? I've heard the same complaint from several of my friends. I've definitely noticed framerate drops in many places in the game, as well. Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly causes the freezing to occur.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Ok. I know this is how it was on Coag and all that, and I know it spawned in the base in Blood Gulch...

But the shotgun kills objective games on Hemorrhage. I'm playing one flag and its near impossible to get the flag out since there's always a shotgun inside there. And he could have Camo, Armor Lock, or even a drop shield...

Are you talking about BTB or just 4v4?

I think BTB should use a Coagulation remake, while Hemorrhage works fine for 4v4.

The Blood Gulch-style bases on Hemorrhage are just too small for BTB, and the Coag-style bases would make the Jetpack actually useful...

Stick a Banshee in each base, put the Splaser in the middle and give each side a Rocket on the cliff. Add some more DMR spawns as well.

neclas

A27 Tawpgun said:
Also, can the banhammer detect when someone is consistently dealing damage to his teammates, but not killing them?
I'm not sure about campaign, but in multiplayer it used to detect this. It would count total amount of damage down to teammates, not just number of betrayals. On each betrayal, it would see if the damage amount was high enough to offer the boot option. However, after a bunch of people that suck at the game complained that it was too easy to get booted, Bungie changed it back to the Halo 3 way of just counting the number of betrayals.

So, it's possible that campaign keeps track of damage, but the boot option will never come up if he never betrays you.

Sikamikanico said:
5 minutes?! How?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_uJr11UIOo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYOSB8z4Qk4

Just RUN through Nightfall. It actually took us 11 minutes cause we got caught a few times.

Then we had the worst teammates ever in Invasion for two games. Seriously bad kids, one dude had 1 kill the other dude had 2 kills...I was flabbergasted.

Then we donged on kids in Double Team. So far that is a pretty good playlist. I'd like Slayer DMR's to be placed above Slayer in the voting, but whatever, I've only been forced to play Slayer a couple of times so far. Removal of Camo and Armor Lock is nice because it turns the AA's into just the movement AA's (Evade, Sprint, Jetpack)

Double Jump would have been a cool AA.

Also your stats for games aren't loading still, get yo stuff together.

neclas

Gui_PT said:
^^^ That's not LASO, son. Won't help him much.
It essentially the same thing.... just run the path shown. The only difference is that you might need to punch an enemy or two to recharge your shields. Only an idiot wouldn't find the links I posted to be helpful.

GhaleonEB

Yeah Nightfall is going to be a breeze since it can all be sprinted through. Tip of the Spear will be a hoot, though. (And no, I'm not reading the guide; I assume snagging the Wraith early on is part of it.)

Gui_PT

Decom said:
It essentially the same thing.... just run the path shown. The only difference is that you might need to punch an enemy or two to recharge your shields. Only an idiot wouldn't find the links I posted to be helpful.

WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

One more fool on the ignore list.

neclas

Gui_PT said:
WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

One more fool on the ignore list.
I wasn't calling you an idiot. You were saying it wouldn't be helpful to "him" and I was assuming that he is not an idiot. Thus, the links I posted would be helpful to him.

Striker

ncsuDuncan said:
Stick a Banshee in each base, put the Splaser in the middle and give each side a Rocket on the cliff. Add some more DMR spawns as well.
sauypx.gif

I played a Coagulation map probably similar or accurate to the one you played in, and with DMR starts, a Banshee isn't nearly as the annihilator it is in Paradiso and Spire because he has little to no room to run & hide. This was how a Banshee was dealt with in Halo 2 for Coagulation and BR starts - clip the wings, keep knocking its health down, it's over.

I think a Concussion Rifle in place of the Brute Shot is a good tune. Rockets in the middle, and more secondary weaponry like Plasma Rifle and Pistol in the bases.

Striker said:
I played a Coagulation map probably similar or accurate to the one you played in, and with DMR starts, a Banshee isn't nearly as the annihilator it is in Paradiso and Spire because he has little to no room to run & hide. This was how a Banshee was dealt with in Halo 2 for Coagulation and BR starts - clip the wings, keep knocking its health down, it's over.

I think a Concussion Rifle in place of the Brute Shot is a good tune. Rockets in the middle, and more secondary weaponry like Plasma Rifle and Pistol in the bases.

Yeah, I guess with DMR starts the Banshee has enough counters as it is. I just think that without widespread DMRs there might be a need for more vehicle counters. As useless as the Plasma Launcher is, would it be too much to put one at each base and put Rockets in the middle?

Maybe I'm just dreaming of a Coag Heavy variant, with a Scorpion once again dominating the map.

Tawpgun

Striker said:
sauypx.gif

This. I will say though... don't put a shotgun on the map. The Blood Gulch bases are incredibly close quarters and it isn't needed. It makes it near impossible to get in the base, especially if said shotgunner has armor abilites like AL, Camo, or Drop Shield.

The other thing I'm worried about is the sniper. I really want to be able to pop people's heads, but I don't want to kill vehicles.

Either put sniper on a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG respawn time, or replace with Focus rifle.

But absolutely NO laser.

2 rockets
laser
DMR's

Ok might as well not put any vehicles on there either.

I agree with rocks in the middle though.
Put 2 warthogs (short respawn), MAYBE a revenant (long respawn) and a wraith I guess.
Maybe make a heavy variant with rocket hogs. Seriously, put more rocket hogs in maps, they are suprisingly balanced.

Striker

The Coagulation map I played is kind of designed for the Classic playlist, so the Shotgun would obviously be included. It is a defensive weapon, and on a map that is open and is best served in the teleporter areas or base.

The vehicles it had were one chaingun Warthog, one Ghost, Banshee, and two Mongoose. It obviously can change depending what happens. Adding a Wraith, for example.

I'm still curious what maps Jeremiah is considering for the playlist because he confirmed he's going to get community maps for it.

Tawpgun

The coag we played was really good too. I believe it had 3 hogs. Loved the hog mayhem and the initial rush for rockets.

So any chance this will be a Classic Hopper all together? With Classic 4 v 4 and Classic BTB in it? Pleeeez?

A27 Tawpgun said:
Loved the hog mayhem and the initial rush for rockets.

Man, I really miss that rush for the Rockets (or Neutral Bomb) in the middle. It was always an epic confrontation between the two Hogs and Ghosts.

Now... does anyone ever rush for the Plasma Launcher? It's more just a race within each team to see who can snag the sniper rifle.

So when is the old school playlist coming out? I hope its not with the April playlist update! I want it nao

As for the Plasma Launcher on Hemmorage... I never see anyone use it lol. I personally love the thing, but it seems to go largely ignored by most people. I tend not to bother with it on Hemmorage - it seems best suited for closer range.

Tawpgun

bobs99 ... said:
So when is the old school playlist coming out? I hope its not with the April playlist update! I want it nao

As for the Plasma Launcher on Hemmorage... I never see anyone use it lol. I personally love the thing, but it seems to go largely ignored by most people. I tend not to bother with it on Hemmorage - it seems best suited for closer range.
I almost always go for it. Shut down the enemy vehicles.

Okay, so how's this for a better Betrayal Booting system:

1) Every time you betray someone, the victim gets to choose to "Forgive" or "Vote to boot." 3 votes and you are booted, which counts as a quit. The game notifies everyone of the betrayal, but not how many votes you have.

2) If you are the victim of Two Betrayals (lol) that you did not forgive, your next "Vote to boot" now counts as 3 votes, meaning you can boot the next person that betrays you. Other players are notified of this power.

- So part 1 only allows a single player to betray you (or anyone) only twice without repercussions.
- Part 2 prevents teams from ganging up on one player and spreading out the betrayals to 2 per player.
- Since every betrayal can be forgiven, there are less cases where an accidental betrayal results in a booting because of one immature voter.

Maybe add something where the number of votes you receive persists between games, and goes down by 1 every hour.

Sorry for the late reply to the BWU, but no MMO is GOOD. After hearing the only 2 examples of an MMO on the xbox, I'm glad frankly.

Also, Chickenpede wasn't that amazing of a concept to begin with, and now I'm just sad so many man hours were put into something that could have gone elsewhere.

This is definitely a time where I personally think the fanatics took their fanaticism a step in the wrong direction, but that's just me. The community needs something new to obsess about and chickenpede was just the next best thing. Kind of sad to me that it had to be chickenpede really.

Gui_PT

Anyone know what the Bungie All Star thingie this week is?

I'd love the Star nameplate(I admit I am a whore when it comes to these things)

Major Williams said:
Sorry for the late reply to the BWU, but no MMO is GOOD. After hearing the only 2 examples of an MMO on the xbox, I'm glad frankly.

Also, Chickenpede wasn't that amazing of a concept to begin with, and now I'm just sad so many man hours were put into something that could have gone elsewhere.

This is definitely a time where I personally think the fanatics took their fanaticism a step in the wrong direction, but that's just me. The community needs something new to obsess about and chickenpede was just the next best thing. Kind of sad to me that it had to be chickenpede really.

I have no idea what anything in this post means haha Are you saying something in the BWU stated the new IP isn't going to be an MMO after all? What's chickenpede?

Crucio

Nightfall: LASO With Blind Completed. 2 players, One Hologram one invis assassination and some running though, especially the first part of the map we ran thought it. There are not enough bullet in the sniper to kill every elite in the first encounter. Its just not possible.

The last part of the level was the longest, we destroy the turret with grenade/snipers. then I tried to use my hologram to get my buddy into assassination position, It took many tries but eventually we got enough kills for the invis to pass through the end part.

Squall ASF said:
I have no idea what anything in this post means haha Are you saying something in the BWU stated the new IP isn't going to be an MMO after all? What's chickenpede?
- The MMO rumor started as unfounded speculation on a presentation at the GDC that was meant to be sarcastic. Sarcasm gone wrong.

- Chickenpede was mentioned as the fallout of lunch conversation by a few Bungie employees on the BWU 2 weeks ago. This last BWU had featured fan artwork of this... thing. It has nothing to do with Halo or anything in the realm other than it was started by Bungie employees. Mister Chief was more entertaining.

Major Williams said:

But...but True Fantasy Live Online. :'^(

Alright guys, I'm going to go and enjoy my spring break. I'm disconnecting myself from the Internet and video games for more than a week.

Maybe play some more basketball, or whatever college kids with lives do these days.

GhaleonEB

Genesis Knight said:
So....map pack next week. Anyone pumped?
Yes. I'm curious how the Firefight map is going to be implemented, because I'm going to try and play the living hell out of it (and the BTB map). I haven't been this hyped for Halo DLC in a long time.

Gui_PT

Bungie All Stars - Week 9
Take an epic screenshot of the UNSC Falcon doing what it does best.

Who wants to get a huge party of GAFfers, take a cool screenshot and submit it at a team?

Genesis Knight said:
So....map pack next week. Anyone pumped?

Usually I would be but my Xbox still won't play Reach for more than a game at a time (and I can forget about completing any campaign mission) so I can't really justify buying the pack. I miss playing Reach :(

Anyone want to hook me up with an Xbox that doesn't hate me?

Top Bottom