• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'd love for theater mode to go back to at least how it was in Halo 3. I want to watch film with a team.

GhaleonEB said:
Yes?

Not sure. They've got something lined up that we'll be playing this fall; could be the rumored Halo 1 remake or something else, like a collection of classic MP maps. And they're doing Halo 4.
hmmm let's just not talk about it. I'm too excited and unable to freeze myself like Cartman.

FourDoor

Havok said:
Dummying was the fucking worst and people that did it in matchmaking get sent to a special level of hell.

I played BTB for the majority of H2 and it got to the point that if you didn't do the dummy trick it, it would be a guaranteed loss against a team with a full party because they too were also doing it. So those games turned into games of killing and finding the original dummy bodies! I loved being the one to sneak into the other teams base to kill the enemy dummy real body thats just standing there inside the base.

Oozer3993

You guys think 343 is gonna zig, but I bet they zag. Get ready for Halo: Forerunner Racing (Brought to you by the brand new, 2012 Toyota 4Runner).

In my 4000 games of Halo 2, I don't think I ever ran into dummying. Played against a modder once. That wasn't fun.

FourDoor

GhaleonEB said:
This is the kind of stuff that ruined Halo 2's matchmaking. Do not miss.

The hackers/cheats is what ruined H2 matchmaking for me. When the other team could shoot you from across the map with bullets that were not even aimed at you, it was time to quit H2 for me.

Havok

FourDoor said:
I played BTB for the majority of H2 and it got to the point that if you didn't do the dummy trick it, it would be a guaranteed loss against a team with a full party because they too were also doing it. So those games turned into games of killing and finding the original dummy bodies! I loved being the one to sneak into the other teams base to kill the enemy dummy real body thats just standing there inside the base.
It happened to me roughly the same amount of times that people took the bomb above Burial Mounds and abused sudden death. Which is to say, exactly as many times as it took for me to loathe those people and make their day terrible however I could.

wwm0nkey

Yeah I really don't think dummy glitching was that bad, I really NEVER ran into it.

Oh also do most people agree that

This
2hhei6u.jpg

Needs to happen now?
(obviously without the modders and dummy glitches)

blamite

City.jpg

This was such a cool environment... Probably my fovorite in the series. It's a shame we never got to explore more of it. The floodified version in Halo 3 sucked compared to the majestic purple dome of epicness from Halo 2. Maybe we'll get a DLC map for reach that takes place here someday.

I used to love grabbing the Wraith on Waterworks and pushing crates into the back entrance to my base, blocking it.

Does anyone in Reach grenade jump? I miss that movement option. As much fun as Jetpack is it really does have a negative impact on level design.

wwm0nkey said:
Obviously you where playing Halo 2 very wrong if that is the case. The only real time I did glitches in Halo 2 where those glitch custom games, the gameplay of Halo 2 was just flat out fun.

I will never forget 1 flag (or any object type) on Terminal, Relic, Coag, Headlong or Burial Mounds.
I played a crap ton of games in Halo 2. Custom games with MLG settings, matchmaking, and glitches in custom games, etc. The unbalanced sandbox, the ease of use to do glitches in matchmaking (button glitches, superjumps, etc), and the amount of modding found in matchmaking, ruined the experience. I have over 5,000 games of Halo 2 – I doubt you can say, with absolute certainty, that I didn't participate in a good number of games playing it the "right" way (whatever that is).

Halo 2 was a broken mess; a broken mess that was not meant to be. Had Bungie's development gone smoother, or had they been given more time, the Halo 2 we would have gotten would have been dramatically different than the Halo 2 we all know.

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
I played a crap ton of games in Halo 2. Custom games with MLG settings, matchmaking, and glitches in custom games, etc. The unbalanced sandbox, the ease of use to do glitches in matchmaking (button glitches, superjumps, etc), and the amount of modding found in matchmaking, ruined the experience. I have over 5,000 games of Halo 2 – I doubt you can say, with absolute certainty, that I didn't participate in a good number of games playing it the "right" way (whatever that is).

Halo 2 was a broken mess; a broken mess that was not meant to be. Had Bungie's development gone smoother, or had they been given more time, the Halo 2 we would have gotten would have been dramatically different than the Halo 2 we all know.
Im starting to think you just hate fun Dax

Dax01 said:

But a broken mess that was amazing when everything worked right. Sure a lot of the time modders/ cheaters/ glitches would ruin it, but the final few days of Halo 2's life where everyone just mostly played it for the joy of it was probably the most fun ive had on video games.

The 'unbalanced' sandbox just made the game 100x more fun for the BR crowd (which is probably why you hated it :p). If Bungie had more time we would have probably got a 'Reach' - the less planned Bungie are the more fun the product is in my opinion :p - Halo 1 was fun because they didn't have time to polish and balance the 3sk pistol.

A Halo 2 remake with the glitching/ modding and cheating being fixed would make my day. Even more so if they were actually added into the game as options you could toggle on or off. For example you could toggle superjumping on in customs but leave that shit outta matchmaking. Or you could have just 1 playlist were button glitches are possible but keep the rest of the playlists to a more 'legit' experience.

I know its never going to happen, but a Halo 1/ 2 multiplayer double pack would make my day.

Kuroyume

Banned
Forge and Theatre mode? That was an awful response from Frank. I've spent maybe 10 minutes total in Reach's Forge just to check out the locations of the weapons in the game when the first map pack came out. I've spent about the same amount of time in Theatre mode although I believe that feature is more useful. Forge has done nothing more than produce awful orginal maps, half assed remakes, and terrible game types. Griffball? Rocket Race? Ugh... I don't even think anyone should be singing the praises of Theatre mode either. Is the ability to detach the camera and control angles great? Yeah, but all some of us want is the ability to save our films to our HDDs and upload them to sites like YouTube. If the solution is to pay 343 to have them render our videos then that's just crap. Both these things feel half assed. Both these things are a colossal waste of time. Many of us have sat here months later after Reach's launch wishing Bungie has used their team to make more maps instead of squeezing in these things.

Also, the "if it's not broken don't fix it" line is ridiculous. Tell that to Tomb Raider. You can only do the same things so many times before people stop caring. Don't use Reach's poorly designed and implemented gameplay changes as an excuse to not innovate with the formula. Do something new. Run a good lengthy beta that isn't just some two week promotional event and then use player input to change things that people want changed.

People in Reach beta: Increase speed!
Bungie: No, but we'll nerf the pistol a bit and beef up the AR since you didn't ask for that lolololololol

I liked the comment about reading what fans have to say but I sure as hell hope they actually do scrutinize the response. Reading people bitch about the melee in Reach and lamenting that it isn't like how it was in H3 doesn't mean we all want it like it was in H3. People have short memories and can't remember the bitching about H3's melee system. AR+Melee anyone? When reading that you should think... Hmmm, how about creating an all new melee system? One with no auto lock on and lunge maybe? That would be good.

Kuroyume said:
Forge and Theatre mode? That was an awful response from Frank. I've spent maybe 10 minutes total in Reach's Forge just to check out the locations of the weapons in the game when the first map pack came out. I've spent about the same amount of time in Theatre mode although I believe that feature is more useful. Forge has done nothing more than produce awful orginal maps, half assed remakes, and terrible game types. Griffball? Rocket Race? Ugh... I don't even think anyone should be singing the praises of Theatre mode either. Is the ability to detach the camera and control angles great? Yeah, but all some of us want is the ability to save our films to our HDDs and upload them to sites like YouTube. If the solution is to pay 343 to have them render our videos then that's just crap. Both these things feel half assed. Both these things are a colossal waste of time. Many of us have sat here months later after Reach's launch wishing Bungie has used their team to make more maps instead of squeezing in these things.

Also, the "if it's not broken don't fix it" line is ridiculous. Tell that to Tomb Raider. You can only do the same things so many times before people stop caring. Don't use Reach's poorly designed and implemented gameplay changes as an excuse to not innovate with the formula. Do something new. Run a good lengthy beta that isn't just some two week promotional event and then use player input to change things that people want changed.

Bungie: No, but we'll nerf the pistol a bit and beef up the AR since you didn't ask for that lolololololol

I liked the comment about reading what fans have to say but I sure as hell hope they actually do scrutinize the response. Reading people bitch about the melee in Reach and lamenting that it isn't like how it was in H3 doesn't mean we all want it like it was in H3. People have short memories and can't remember the bitching about H3's melee system. AR+Melee anyone? When reading that you should think... Hmmm, how about creating an all new melee system? One with no auto lock on and lunge maybe? That would be good.
I love you.

Kuroyume said:

I agree with everything except for the fact that you think Forge and Theatre are useless. Those modes have created entirely different ways for people to play. ForgeHub and ForgeGaf are examples. That said I do agree that you cant just add these things and then assume that the job is done. If the core gameplay isnt fun then those features are going to be basically useless icing on a crummy cake. I love Forge but with Reach I just don't bother with it. Initially because I wouldn't have many people to play my maps with, but later because I wouldn't enjoy playing on it much myself!

Halo Reach's theatre has also been a step backwards. To stop a glitch from showing up (which most people would figure work arounds to) they cut the party mode for Theatre!?? Thats insane and basically kills of a major chunk of what most people would want to use theatre for.

What you said about the beta rings true and like you said if the new system sucks then that doesnt mean we want Halo 3.5, it just means that the new system sucks and an alternative system should be thought up.

Crucio

Barrow Roll said:
I think it was only good when dual-wielded. Even then, not very good. I dunno, it's been a long time.

You're pretty much spot on there, it was crap. The only reason it was crap is because of Dual Wielding.

Willeth

Kuroyume said:
Reading people bitch about the melee in Reach and lamenting that it isn't like how it was in H3 doesn't mean we all want it like it was in H3.
Reading people bitch about Armor Lock, the beefed-up AR from the beta, increasing speed, bloom and a million other things doesn't mean we all (or even the majority) want it that way, either.

I happen to like Grifball, and Rocket Race has consistently been some of the most fun I've had in Halo from the launch of 3. One man's trash, you know?

wwm0nkey

bobs99 ... said:
But a broken mess that was amazing when everything worked right. Sure a lot of the time modders/ cheaters/ glitches would ruin it, but the final few days of Halo 2's life where everyone just mostly played it for the joy of it was probably the most fun ive had on video games.

The 'unbalanced' sandbox just made the game 100x more fun for the BR crowd (which is probably why you hated it :p). If Bungie had more time we would have probably got a 'Reach' - the less planned Bungie are the more fun the product is in my opinion :p - Halo 1 was fun because they didn't have time to polish and balance the 3sk pistol.

A Halo 2 remake with the glitching/ modding and cheating being fixed would make my day. Even more so if they were actually added into the game as options you could toggle on or off. For example you could toggle superjumping on in customs but leave that shit outta matchmaking. Or you could have just 1 playlist were button glitches are possible but keep the rest of the playlists to a more 'legit' experience.

I know its never going to happen, but a Halo 1/ 2 multiplayer double pack would make my day.
Hey Frankie did say he was listening to the community, that is why I keep on bring up Halo 2 XBLA as much as I possibly can.

Kuroyume said:
I laughed.

In there defence they did fix the jump height.... Other than that the beta didn't really seem to be the cause of any major game play changes.

KevinRo

Dax01 said:

Don't play that line. There is no excuse for not realizing pressing x right after b will cancel a melee. Fucking stupid. That's their fault and their testers faults for being idiots considering... THERE WERE THE SAME BUTTON GLITCHES IN HALO:CE LOL

No, most of the glitches and problems in Halo2 were Bungie's fault, but on the flip side it actually made the game more fun. Yeah the superbouncing and getting ontop of the map during matchmaking was a shame, but I can't find ANYONE who would say superbouncing was not fun. Nor can I find someone who would say sword butterflying and rocket jumping wasn't fun either.

Halo2 was not a broken mess, the standbying, modying, and other network manipulations was a problem, but the core gamepay of Halo2 was hella fun.

Tawpgun

Gui_PT said:
Bungie All Stars - Week 9
Take an epic screenshot of the UNSC Falcon doing what it does best.

Who wants to get a huge party of GAFfers, take a cool screenshot and submit it at a team?

16 players.

5 fully loaded falcons approaching someone? Or perhaps stage some huge dogfight?

Or have like 3 fully loaded falcons with 2-3 people on top with lasers or some shit.

Kuroyume said:

Did you seriously just say Forge is a seldom used feature thats only purpose to to make terrible community maps?

No.

Theater is fantastic. Perhaps this is a little Lous CK Syndrome here. Be glad we even have a theater mode. I'm no programmer but I think if we were saving our films to our HDD it would eat up SO much space.

As far as innovating the formula... eh.. thats a touchy subject. Some people, myself including, want innovation as in keeping the core halo gameplay and enhancing it. Not add gimmicks to it, like most people do nowadays. But agree on the longer beta.

P.S. Bungie did up player speed. And jump height too. They also addressed concerns that the AR was being beat by the pistol at every range.

blamite said:
http://www.halopedian.com/images/3/30/City.jpg

This was such a cool environment... Probably my fovorite in the series. It's a shame we never got to explore more of it. The floodified version in Halo 3 sucked compared to the majestic purple dome of epicness from Halo 2. Maybe we'll get a DLC map for reach that takes place here someday.

Anyone remember this place?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvt020_l9iU

It blew my mind when I first got down there. It's MASSIVE.

Devin Olsen said:
I laughed.

In there defence they did fix the jump height.... Other than that the beta didn't really seem to be the cause of any major game play changes.

Im guessing it was more to do with ensuring there were no major bugs/ button combo's etc. They also did a hell of a good job with the netcode and im sure the beta was mostly designed for that.

I dont think the beta's priority was to balance the sandbox but there were still elements of that. Ideally after hearing the public reaction Bungie would have been a lot more aggressive with the changes. BUT they had a deadline, drastic changes wernt possible im guessing, and its hard to tell what really needs changing. What if the outcry on forums isnt reflected by the everyday player?

Its a tough job and I dont hold anything against them for not changing things in the beta, but I still cant comprehend the decisions made early on to even take Halo down this route.

wwm0nkey - keep fighting the good fight, but I think hes probably heard you loud and clear, now its time to ensure more people are screaming for the same thing. :p

Gui_PT

A27 Tawpgun said:
16 players.

5 fully loaded falcons approaching someone? Or perhaps stage some huge dogfight?

Or have like 3 fully loaded falcons with 2-3 people on top with lasers or some shit.

I thought just a couple of Falcons but with all 16 players on top of them. Obviously, explosions all around are obligatory.

But it doesn't seem like we'll get 16 gaffers for that.

Edit: How 'bout the max number of Falcons a map can take, all pointing at a guy in the middle, waiting for him to come out of armor lock?

Bungle troll us, we troll Bungle!

Falagard

Kuroyume said:
Forge and Theatre mode? That was an awful response from Frank. I've spent maybe 10 minutes total in Reach's Forge just to check out the locations of the weapons in the game when the first map pack came out. I've spent about the same amount of time in Theatre mode although I believe that feature is more useful. Forge has done nothing more than produce awful orginal maps, half assed remakes, and terrible game types. Griffball? Rocket Race?

If Forge allowed users to modify the terrain, including creating caves and underground areas, place trees and folliage, had more geometry options rather than plain Forerunner buildings, and allowed placing lights and worked properly with Halo's lighting system (shadows generated properly by geometry) then Forge would be freaking amazing. There'd be so much win you couldn't even imagine.

Tunavi

Banned
Kuroyume said:

I loved the pistol in the beta, made me so depressed when they announced the Nerf...

Gui_PT said:
I thought just a couple of Falcons but with all 16 players on top of them. Obviously, explosions all around are obligatory.

Edit: How 'bout the max number of Falcons a map can take, all pointing at a guy in the middle, waiting for him to come out of armor lock?

haha YES.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
bobs99 ... said:
Im guessing it was more to do with ensuring there were no major bugs/ button combo's etc. They also did a hell of a good job with the netcode and im sure the beta was mostly designed for that.

I dont think the beta's priority was to balance the sandbox but there were still elements of that. Ideally after hearing the public reaction Bungie would have been a lot more aggressive with the changes. BUT they had a deadline, drastic changes wernt possible im guessing, and its hard to tell what really needs changing. What if the outcry on forums isnt reflected by the everyday player?

Its a tough job and I dont hold anything against them for not changing things in the beta, but I still cant comprehend the decisions made early on to even take Halo down this route.
Even then they could've made changes that people requested and if it were unbalanced they could've patched it with a TU. But they haven't talked about a TU ever, in spite of constant complaints from practically everywhere.

Falagard said:
If Forge allowed users to modify the terrain, including creating caves and underground areas, place trees and folliage, had more geometry options rather than plain Forerunner buildings, and allowed placing lights and worked properly with Halo's lighting system (shadows generated properly by geometry) then Forge would be freaking amazing. There'd be so much win you couldn't even imagine.

That sounds kind of like Far Cry 2's editor and dont get me wrong this would be epic but the map filesizes would be huge. It would be impractical as something that could be used to add maps and variants into matchmaking. I sort of like how 'lite' Forge is as it allows for a bit of versatility in how its used.

Tunavi I agree 100% man, the beta pistol was so much fun lol. Its kind of crap now though, bloody AR users. :(

Gui_PT said:

1 Falcon going down in flames.

16 jetpacking Elites hovering around shown to be the cause.

Gui_PT said:

How about everybody in a Falcon circling around an armor locker, but having one Falcon drop on him from above and exploding?

Tunavi

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Tunavi I agree 100% man, the beta pistol was so much fun lol. Its kind of crap now though, bloody AR users. :(

In the beta it felt like that whenever I shot, the pistol shot. I felt like I was one with the gun. Now it feels like I'm just sitting there waiting for it to be able to fire. It's only a split second, but it makes all the difference in the world for me.

Edit: DOH sorry for the double post

Gui_PT

Barrow Roll said:
1 Falcon going down in flames.

16 jetpacking Elites hovering around shown to be the cause.

"Take an epic screenshot of the UNSC Falcon doing what it does best." =P

Making something on Forge to try this out, if anyone's interested in joining

I too want to take part in silly photo fun.

*remembers the silly times spent during the beta getting ther party to the river on Outlook*

Those of you that are xbox rewards members, which all of you should be, listen up! You get 5% back on all marketplace purchases in March. So that means that you get 40 points back when you purchase the Defiant map pack!

Tawpgun

Gui_PT said:
"Take an epic screenshot of the UNSC Falcon doing what it does best." =P

Making something on Forge to try this out, if anyone's interested in joining
I'm on right now and bored as hell. Toss an inv to "Tawpgun"

without quotes obviously.

cool_dude_2049 said:
Those of you that are xbox rewards members, which all of you should be, listen up! You get 5% back on all marketplace purchases in March. So that means that you get 40 points back when you purchase the Defiant map pack!
I ain't in the US, as a lot of us aren't.

Hydranockz said:
I too want to take part in silly photo fun.

*remembers the silly times spent during the beta getting ther party to the river on Outlook*
2wronsi.jpg

Man, has Tinypic's quality always been this bad? My avatar looks all eh too.

Top Bottom