• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Hopped on for a couple of matches tonight for the first time in a month or two. Had a bunch of experiences with teammates shooting me when I had the shotgun. It happened in three separate games I think. And I had never had that problem before.

Tawpgun

wwm0nkey said:
modding was always bad in Halo 2, there was a 50/50 chance of running into them after you hit level 35. Super jumping could at least be countered and easily countered.

Again though Halo 2 on XBLA could get rid of those problems though.

NO.

NO.

NO.

NO.

If they make Halo 2 on XBLA they are NOT fixing it. I don't care what you haters say, the glitches and exploits are part of what made Halo 2 that magical game.

Thermite

Barrow Roll said:
Guardian is worth mentioning. :(

Fuck no on Construct though, that map sucks.

Not a fan of Guardian. In most of the games I played on that map, it always seemed like one team would camp Top Blue/Gold area and the other team would camp sniper tower - especially in competitive matches where people know what they're doing. From there, it would just be a game of who is foolish enough to stick their head out first.

I thought Construct was pretty solid in the MLG playlist. I had a ton of awesome matches playing King of the Hill on that map. Also, having no radar made it so much better.

A27 Tawpgun said:
NO.

NO.

NO.

NO.

If they make Halo 2 on XBLA they are NOT fixing it. I don't care what you haters say, the glitches and exploits are part of what made Halo 2 that magical game.

Agreed. Those things are definitely a big part of why I loved that game so much more than any other Halo game

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:
NO.

NO.

NO.

NO.

Oh no I agree they should stay in the game just saying though COULD fix it.

Modding needs to go though.

Tawpgun

wwm0nkey said:
Oh no I agree they should stay in the game just saying though COULD fix it.

Modding needs to go though.

Nope again. Well kind of. If they can keep it out of matchmaking somehow then yes, but I remember played modded gametypes in customs and it was amazing.

Anyone play Donkey Kong on Terminal?

Booshka

Devin Olsen said:
Edit: Why in the hell does the guy pick up the AR instead of a Pistol at 15 seconds in your video? lol :(
That's for quick camo, I think you already know if I combine your Avatar and your post. If not, it's because the AR, Shotgun, and Plasma rifle allow you to go into camo much quicker than the Pistol or Power weapons. If you switch to one of those weapons after using snipe or rockets (or pistol), it's a great way to conceal yourself quickly. You can also shoot a tiny burst to get camo'd again after being exposed by taking damage.

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:
Nope again. Well kind of. If they can keep it out of matchmaking somehow then yes, but I remember played modded gametypes in customs and it was amazing.

Well we have discussed keeping them in as options.

PNut

Banned
Hydranockz said:
When the mongoose flips, it feels as though it is rotating around a point above the mongoose and the movement feels far from natural... Anyone else notice this?

Yes, and it's one of the many things that makes Rocket Race not enjoyable for me in Reach.

Kuroyume

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I won't get too deep into the Halo 2/3 thing, since we've done that so many times, but one thing I think Halo 3 got exactly right was the vehicle sandbox, and how they balanced infantry against it. It's just so head and shoulders above Halo 2 (and Reach, for that matter). It's one of the main reasons I love that game so much. On any given map, I could either romp around with the 'Hog or the Chopper (<3), or go on a vehicle killing mission. So many tools to take them down with, but they were still formidable. It was such a huge step forward from Halo 2 (tracking rocket launcher says hi), and Reach such a step back from it.

First person shooter not Twisted Metal

Terrible.

343 base vehicles around Halo 2. Do the right thing.

A27 Tawpgun said:

You you be okay with modding in matchmaking?!?

In this day and age, modding in matchmaking is absolutely unacceptable. Any attempts by players to mod in matchmaking should be met with a swift, strong, and ruthless banhammer to the face.

Tawpgun

PNut said:
Yes, and it's one of the many things that makes Rocket Race not enjoyable for me in Reach.
That's not what killed it. It's the lack of being able to launch. Rockets got more powerful, but physics got heavier :/

Steelyuhas said:
You you be okay with modding in matchmaking?!?

In this day and age, modding in matchmaking is absolutely unacceptable. Any attempts by players to mod in matchmaking should be met with a swift, strong, and ruthless banhammer to the face.

I said if we could keep them out of matchmaking that would be good. But in customs modding is great. It's the one thing console games lack..among others.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I said if we could keep them out of matchmaking that would be good. But in customs modding is great. It's the one thing console games lack..among others.

It is seriously unlikely that that is possible. You have to build in defenses and detection of modding into a games netcode. I don't see how you could just 'allow' that for custom games.

Tawpgun

Steelyuhas said:
It is seriously unlikely that that is possible. You have to build in defenses and detection of modding into a games netcode. I don't see how you could just 'allow' that for custom games.
Worked for Halo 3. Modding would get you banned hellafast in matchmaking, but I remember actually DOWNLOADING modded gametypes as if they were regular gametypes.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Kuroyume said:
First person shooter not Twisted Metal

Terrible.

343 base vehicles around Halo 2. Do the right thing.

You know you can explain your position instead of just rubishing the opinion of others without properly explaining yourself.

Halo 3's vehicle-infantry dynamic was far superior to Halo 2 by a long mile, due in part to the balance between anti-vehicle options and the relatively high vehicle strength and balance.

This is one of the reasons why BTB, which has a high dependency on vehicle-infantry balance, is horrible in Reach.

Even the laser, a consider point of debate in Halo 3, didn't disrupt the sandbox and the flow as much as the sandbox in Reach disrupts itself.

Funny thing is, they actually made the Laser slightly more balanced in Reach by giving it one less shot but it's mostly irrelevant now.

PNut

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
That's not what killed it. It's the lack of being able to launch. Rockets got more powerful, but physics got heavier :/

Yes, one of many. Rockets may have gotten more powerful, but they are much slower and their effect on vehicles is alot weaker when they are indestructible. If that makes sense.

Devin Olsen said:
Don't judge me, I made this video a couple days after Halo 2 came out.

Pretty awesome though

[T]rickity Trick Three
Nice video, and selection of music(particularly the steppenwolf sample). The whole thing combined sent me on a nostalgia trip. Performing and discovering glitches was so much fun. Seeing this just makes me hate the invisible wall syndrome developers insist on having in their games.

But enough with the nostalgia back onto the discussion of Halo Reach's broken vehicles.... Banshee anyone? Those flips are way too useful I think. Another problem is the reseting glitch that re-spawns weapons and vehicles whenever a player quits or connection resets. It throws off the balance in the game and certain illegimate players will do those nasty router tricks so they can make respawns happen whenever they want.

Lazslo

The 343 podcast was awesome, it was good to hear Ellis back on the 1up mic. I really had no interest in these maps until I heard the podcast, they sold it well.
Also Halo 2 Xbl Arcade- Believe.

Tawpgun

Vehicles in Reach.
- Based on a damage model. Player shields are irrelevant. No way to repair vehicles, they turn into a one time use deal.

Now lets look at what is effective against vehicles in the sandbox.
-Grenades
-Plasma Launcher, Laser, Rockets, Fuel Rod
- Armor Lock
- Plasma Pistol
-Grenade Launcher, Concussion Rifle
-Sniper (god why...)
-DMR fire (the more concentrated, the more deadly.)
-Other vehicles

No, concentrating DMR fire isn't balancing vehicles in Reach, its destroying them. Its natural to start firing upon vehicles now. Everyone knows the DMR rips vehicles to shreds. Its not even a thing to coordinate anymore.

So yes, the sandbox is VERY heavily anti-vehicle. But that pisses me off the most is the entire health model of them. It was in Halo 3 but not very heavily. You could survive a stick in a warthog, but if you get stuck again that machine is blowing up.

Here though, DMR's are scary. The base player gun. It's ridiculous how I can only make one pass of the enemy base before having to abandon the hog because its too wrecked up.

Dani said:
You know you can explain your position instead of just rubishing the opinion of others without properly explaining yourself.

Halo 3's vehicle-infantry dynamic was far superior to Halo 2 by a long mile, due in part to the balance between anti-vehicle options and the relatively high vehicle strength and balance.

This is one of the reasons why BTB, which has a high dependency on vehicle-infantry balance, is horrible in Reach.

Even the laser, a consider point of debate in Halo 3, didn't disrupt the sandbox and the flow as much as the sandbox in Reach disrupts itself.

Funny thing is, they actually made the Laser slightly more balanced in Reach by giving it one less shot but it's mostly irrelevant now.

I like H2's vehicle combat better than H3, but they both did it magically well when compared to Reach. First with Reach, Bungie's determination to use the Scorpion and the Banshee liberally in Big Team is a mistake IMO, and Big Team would be much improved if they would just remove them (especially the POS banshee which is just flat out broken). Throwing out Heavy variants, because they are a specialty gametype, both H2 and H3 largely consisted of the ghost, warthog, and in H3's case also the mongoose and chopper. When tanks and banshees were on maps, they were much more balanced than their Reach counterparts. The banshee makes the other vehicles on the map pretty much useless. I played a game earlier today on Paradiso (kill me), and no one would get in the warthog because it would get instantly destroyed by the banshees patrolling the map.

As for H3 vs. H2, they both do vehicle combat pretty well, but I prefer H2's because the vehicles were quite as strong as they are in H3, and I would take a tracking rocket launcher from H2 any day over the "if the other team has the laser we can't even use any vehicles and they get to run train on us".

Lazslo said:
The 343 podcast was awesome, it was good to hear Ellis back on the 1up mic. I really had no interest in these maps until I heard the podcast, they sold it well.

Yeah that podcast kind of got me excited for the maps, but I won't get as excited as Noble because I now know the lie that was feed to us about good DLC implementation in Reach.

Halo 2 XBLA. BELIEVE

wwm0nkey

Lazslo said:
If we keep up the pace with all this Halo 2 talk and do what I do and always try to bring up Halo 2 XBLA it will probably be considered, that is if it isnt always being considered :lol

Kuroyume

Banned
Dani said:

Halo 2 did it perfectly because all vehicles should do is transport people unless we're talking about the tank or wraith. Survive long enough to get people places. Maybe the gunner could take out one or two people. It was perfect.

All I can recall from Halo 3 is getting spawned camped to hell out in the open by warthogs for entire matches... That and getting sniped with the laser because the team would spawn a mile away from the laser anyway. Either it happened to my team or we did it to them. You guys must have played a different game of Halo 3. To bring up the laser as a way of turning the tables doesn't even make sense. When you guys were spawn camped did any of you magically spawn on top of it or something? Seriously.

Lazslo

wwm0nkey said:
If we keep up the pace with all this Halo 2 talk and do what I do and always try to bring up Halo 2 XBLA it will probably be considered, that is if it isnt always being considered :lol
It's like the Tea Party or something...,
It would be great if whoever ported Marathon to XBL looked into it but I doubt anyone cares, ship has sailed

Tawpgun

Kuroyume said:
Halo 2 did it perfectly because all vehicles should do is transport people unless we're talking about the tank or wraith. Survive long enough to get people places. Maybe the gunner could take out one or two people. It was perfect.

All I can recall from Halo 3 is getting spawned camped to hell out in the open by warthogs for entire matches... That and getting sniped with the laser because the team would spawn a mile away from the laser anyway. Either it happened to my team or we did it to them. You guys must have played a different game of Halo 3. To bring up the laser as a way of turning the tables doesn't even make sense. When you guys were spawn camped did any of you magically spawn on top of it or something? Seriously.
I for one liked the powerful vehicles in Halo 3. A lot of people didn't utilize all the tools they had to deal with them. Grenades, Power Drains, Plasma Pistol.

They all thought missle pods and laser was the only way to go.

Halo 2's vehicles were great as well though. But I disagree for the vehicles as transport. They serve as weapons.

wwm0nkey said:

Thinking about stealing your avatar just to increase awareness about the NEED for H2 XBLA!

Kujo

In Halo 2 I actually looked forward to playing on most of the maps. In Halo 3, I was just relieved when it was a map that I didn't totally hate. To be fair to H3, at least it's map selection wasn't just split between campaign areas and a whole pile of gray...

Mojo said:
In Halo 2 I actually looked forward to playing on most of the maps. In Halo 3, I was just relieved when it was a map that I didn't totally hate. To be fair to H3, at least it's map selection wasn't just split between campaign areas and a whole pile of gray...

With all the DLC, H2 is hands down my favorite set of maps in any shooter.

Sanctuary and Turf in the same map pack!!

wwm0nkey

Lazslo said:
It's like the Tea Party or something...,
It would be great if whoever ported Marathon to XBL looked into it but I doubt anyone cares, ship has sailed
Again Frankie said he said 343 is listening and we know Halo 2 XBLA can easily be handed over to a small time dev studio to finish.

Blueblur1

Halo 2 did have the best maps. And admittedly, the map selection wasn't absolutely out of world. Halo 3 easily had worse maps and Reach's maps, for the most part, are plain retreads of the same concepts (except for the low grav stuff).

KevinRo

Blueblur1 said:
Halo 2 did have the best maps. And admittedly, the map selection wasn't absolutely out of world. Halo 3 easily had worse maps and Reach's maps, for the most part, are plain retreads of the same concepts (except for the low grav stuff).

Halo3 maps were just garbage.

Reach isn't much of an upgrade. The main problem are the new maps that are never NEVER integrated into matchmaking. Someone is fucking up here, Microsoft or Bungie, maybe both. I don't see any other dev with problems of integrating and offering their maps for free. It's a real shame.

Blueblur1 said:

Reach's maps are so disappointing to me because when they retread the same concept, they have often failed to do so successfully. Look at Sanctuary. They create a space in Forge World specifically the size on Sanctuary, for Sanctuary, and then essentially get lazy and give us Asylum. That space and the tools of forge allow for a perfect Sanctuary remake, and they just didn't do it for some reason. It has been done.

Lazslo

After listening to the 343 Podcast- I never knew that in the H2 map tombstone, Certain Affinity put the H1 Pistol just out of Reach from the player. That's my favorite easter egg in H2 and I just learned about it an hour ago. Thanks for the Halo Fun Fact™ Franky.

That map pack was great but It never got the attention it deserved because H3 came out a couple months later.

Blueblur1 said:
Halo 2 did have the best maps and it was a good thing it did because there was no way to vote or veto the map, you had to play what you got. I think this had some effect on my perception of H2's maps; it forced the player to play maps people usually would have vetoed thus exposing the player to find different aspects of the map they enjoyed which could have changed their overall opinion. (after four years of a Psychology Major I'm wired to think that would be a fun study to conduct scientifically: The Effect of Map Vetoing on the Players Perceived Enjoyment™ GDC 2012)
-Halo 3's maps were Okay in comparison looking back but it did have Snowbound, the root of all evil in a Halo multiplayer map (backwash was even better).
-Reach's maps are pretty good for the most part- There isn't one map I refuse to play and they all seem very well thought out. I'm looking forward to this new map pack because it will set the tone of what is excepted from 343 in terms of quality and it looks like good things are coming.

It's sad that my favourite mp maps for Team DMR/SlayerPro in Reach are all forged Forge World maps in the community playlist.

^yea they have it in a grate behind some boxes if I recall. I spent a couple hours trying to figure out if I could glitch myself inside it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Who was I playing Arena with today besides Gui? That was fun, we shit on those guys. I barley used my hologram hahahaha

Tunavi

Banned
So I was at work (letting students in the university gym) and I put on the halo 2 soundtrack. The soundtrack played straight until it literally ended perfectly at 10:59 o'clock and I closed the gym up. It was magical and I'm going to miss halo without Marty.

The best soundtracks IMO are Halo 2 and ODST

Booshka said:
That's for quick camo, I think you already know if I combine your Avatar and your post. If not, it's because the AR, Shotgun, and Plasma rifle allow you to go into camo much quicker than the Pistol or Power weapons. If you switch to one of those weapons after using snipe or rockets (or pistol), it's a great way to conceal yourself quickly. You can also shoot a tiny burst to get camo'd again after being exposed by taking damage.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense.

I am very aware of quick camo, I just didn't realize people carried AR/Plasma Rifle instead of the pistol for that very reason.

Backpack Reloading, Quick Camo, Etc... Those all made Halo 1 a phenomenal game.

Mizzou Gaming said:
What's the best playlist to find a Rocket Race game on one of the Noble Maps?

The only version of Rocket Race currently in matchmaking is "Rocket Hog Race" and it can be found in the Multiteam playlist.

Lazslo

wwm0nkey said:
Sucks petitions dont work in the video game world, would totally start one up to bring Halo 2 to XBLA :lol
Worth a shot- You should make an internet one just to get a sense of scale in terms of fan interest. Worst case scenario: Only you and me sign it and it's forgotten about, no harm no foul. Best Case: Everyone in the world signs it and Halo 2 for XBL is announced at E3 2011. Believe.

Havok

Mizzou Gaming said:
What's the best playlist to find a Rocket Race game on one of the Noble Maps?
If you're asking because of the achievement, it doesn't have to be on a Noble map. Just go into Multi-Team.

Kujo

As much as I like H2, I'd like them to focus all their attention to Halo 4 and have a solid lineup of 15 or so original maps on the disc. Of course we'll end up getting 10 maps all made in Forge and an armor lock function added to the Banshee. Prove me wrong 343

wwm0nkey

Mojo said:
As much as I like H2, I'd like them to focus all their attention to Halo 4 and have a solid lineup of 15 or so original maps on the disc. Of course we'll end up getting 10 maps all made in Forge and an armor lock function added to the Banshee. Prove me wrong 343
Here is the thing though this Halo 2 XBLA port could be dont by someone else other than 343 easily, obviously 343 and MS need to approve first.

BlueScrote said:
Hopped on for a couple of matches tonight for the first time in a month or two. Had a bunch of experiences with teammates shooting me when I had the shotgun. It happened in three separate games I think. And I had never had that problem before.
Funny that it was your first time playing again in a few months; same, here. I basically gave my copy of Halo Reach away because I hated it so much. But my friend ended up buying it anyway and gave mine back today.

It still blows my mind how horribly imbalanced are the weapons. Completely excluding bloom issues, you either have a power weapon or you run around after people endlessly (or die by power weapons). Then there is armor lock which is just a complete waste of time. Then you can't finish people off until their shield is completely down... unless you have a power weapon. I thought the game blew when it came out, and my opinion hasn't changed in the least since playing it again today.

It's just a crapfest every match and I'm ashamed that I gave the game another chance. It bears none of the qualities which made the first two halo games so good. At least teammates weren't shooting me for taking the shotgun. There is a small window of time that a kill with a non-power weapon should take, and it's past that window in Reach. You either get bored or frustrated when trying to kill people.

Kujo

wwm0nkey said:
Here is the thing though this Halo 2 XBLA port could be dont by someone else other than 343 easily, obviously 343 and MS need to approve first.
Perhaps, but they'd probably screw it up somehow

I wonder what 4J are up to, though I'd really like Jet Force Gemini from them first

Top Bottom