• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

That video got me really pumped to play on those new maps. Cannot wait!

Dunno why but I got a lotta faith in 343 really reviving Halo. Fuck I wish I was there making shit happen.

wwm0nkey

updated the Halo 2 XBLA image to add the Xbox Live logo
and to cause more tears :)

14sdwtj.jpg

Kuroyume

Banned
Good video. As others have said it is nice to see prior versions of the same maps. Some of the changes made sense like making the space map brighter and removing the lasers. I don't understand why they changed that waterfall area on the other map. It looked like something from a Halo game. That didn't make any sense to me.

It's kind of amusing to see the editing for these videos. It's always like one pistol headshot or two shots when they kill someone. Never really goes to show how long it takes to kill people most of the time. :p

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
Just drop it already, we got the message. =P
Not until it happens man, not until it happens lol

idk I was just bored and decided to add it, nothing else to do when you have been up all day.

EDIT: Also I am aware I am probably being super annoying with this crap too :D

Blueblur1

That was a great video. Aside from seeing different iterations of the maps, I enjoyed the hearing from the different people involved in the Defiant Map Pack project. I hope 343 continues to release these style of "Behind the Scenes" videos for future map packs. And thank you for calling it a "Behind the Scenes" video instead of using the term "vidoc".

vhfive said:
Next year get it in Jan that shit sells out fast come end of Feb.

Anyone else from HaloGAF going this year because we should definitely meet-up I had lots of fun hanging out with Blueblur last year.

I guess he didn't like me though because he's not coming back :p

EDIT: Now that I think about it if any Halgaffers are going they are probably asleep (seeing that it's past 4am). So when you wake up just send me a pm or something (I think I remember at least one other person going).
I felt bad but then I laughed. I was about to go this year but 4 other people asked for the same Friday off and I'm the one that got fucked over. :(

wwm0nkey said:
Not until it happens man, not until it happens lol

idk I was just bored and decided to add it, nothing else to do when you have been up all day.

EDIT: Also I am aware I am probably being super annoying with this crap too :D

Fight the good fight!

And yea I really woulda loved to goto a PAX East. I just don't understand why its in Boston MA? I mean yea thats pretty fucking EAST I get it, but why SO EAST!? 8 hours from where I live. Couldn't it be more East centric!? I'd really love to meet more of HaloGAF, I've only met Backflip and hes pretty much gone from HaloGAF, great time though.

wwm0nkey said:
Will do!

Seriously no one can say the XBLA box art I made doesn't look official lol.

Lol, drop the SMG's give him a BR :)

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:
Who was I playing Arena with today besides Gui? That was fun, we shit on those guys. I barley used my hologram hahahaha

Barrow Roll said:
*hand raise*

And Tawpgun I believe. New Arena is pretty fun but that's probably only because I haven't run in to a full team that's utilizing Evade to it's full potential yet. Add me if your friend's list isn't full, we'll do it up again. GT is the same as my GAF tag.

Feel free to toss me an FR also. I've always liked Arena but never had a full team that was willing to play. I remember getting Onyx in the beta. I want it back.

Striker

Dani said:
Halo 3's vehicle-infantry dynamic was far superior to Halo 2 by a long mile, due in part to the balance between anti-vehicle options and the relatively high vehicle strength and balance.
Such as?

Steelyuhas pretty much painted a good summary as to why I disagree. Halo 2's rockets weren't nearly as map-breaking and obstructive as the laser was. Look no further than maps like Standoff, Valhalla, and Sandtrap. In order to win those, you absolutely have to control the laser. Only map that did not get standardized by this rule is Avalanche, but that's mainly due to the Rockets spawning quick on the hillside, which took most care of the Chopper and Warthog. The only thing the Laser was primarily used for is the Hornet, so there was no heavy rush to need/have it.

There was nothing game-breaking about any of the vehicles in 2, even the Scorpion which got time in Gulch Wars in Coagulation and as a normal vehicle in Containment. And the Rockets played in perfectly against the speed of the Banshee, Warthogs, and Ghost. The shots were never a clean hit and a skilled driver can dodge or get behind cover in time before hit. Unlike your chances of eluding a Laser in 3. Yet, for some reason according to some people in here, the lock-on Rockets are bastardized and the Laser, despite even adding gas to the fire, acted like a sniper against infantry across the map.

KevinRo said:
Halo3 maps were just garbage.

Reach isn't much of an upgrade. The main problem are the new maps that are never NEVER integrated into matchmaking. Someone is fucking up here, Microsoft or Bungie, maybe both. I don't see any other dev with problems of integrating and offering their maps for free. It's a real shame.
Bungie's misfortune. The real shame for the Reach maps is, basically, they chose the Forge World route to "add" more maps instead of actually creating them with real textures and other elements. A true Reach edition of Ascension and Sanctuary from Halo 2 would've been greater than the creations we've received from Forge World, even if I find Aslyum pretty damn good myself even created from forged pieces. Pinnacle could have been re-created in a scenario where it is a remake, but some altering changes that give some spots more coverage. Not necessarily Blackout-esqe changes, but closer to the Hang 'Em High/Tombstone type. They do the same plan for their two and only true BTB maps. No large maps built for BTB? This is Halo, right? The planning didn't seem like it.

Striker

Cuban, I just saw that :lol

Maps look fantastic. Hoping Condemned can be another one of those "wow, this is actually good" type like Bungie was able to cap off with Anchor 9.

Think I'll be loving the material CA/343 hands out.

vhfive said:
Anyone else from HaloGAF going this year because we should definitely meet-up I had lots of fun hanging out with Blueblur last year.

I'm going, got a 3-day pass. My first PAX, I'm pumped.
I know Microsoft has a large presence on the show floor, fingers crossed for some 343i/Defiant representation.

O D I N said:
I just need to say that Crown of Flies is one of the best maps I've played on. Mad props Squid. I played it for the first time today, and loved it.
Thank you, kind sir.

A27 Tawpgun said:
tbh I didn't feel it was that good. It wasn't that bad either.

Kingdom however, is amazing.
Kingdom is very good indeed. Hopefully CoF will grow on you like it has with others I know.

Dax01 said:
So, wait, did Squidhands make Crown of Flies? If so, awesome work, man. Even though I routinely get owned on that map. (Proof.)
Now you know what that star nameplate I've got is for. ;-) If it helps, you played against Pope Rex, who helped me test the map. You never stood a chance.

Will watch the vidoc later. The FUD pictures are incredible.

Tawpgun

The logo. The geometry in Unearthed is new, but the logo is on a building at Tip of the Spear. You see it when you're on that bridge with all the concrete barriers. I believe its when Dot says the Zealot is in there.

Work is dragging today. The wife is tutoring tonight though, so hopefully be able to get some Halo in. :)

CoF is my personal favourite in the Community playlist to be honest. Affinty is just too big and pondering for 4 v 4, depsite being a solid design. Treasury is great at the top half, but the bottom of the map feels a tad redundant. I can't remember some of the others though so won't comment on them.

Both CoF and Kingdom seem to be getting mostly postive feedback on Bungie.net, which is good to see. Although, I've had some people say that DMR starts are bad on Kingdom, because a well organised team can lock down the map and decimate the oppostion...

Isn't that just called winning?

I mean, I've been beaten on Kingdom (literally destroyed!) but I've not actually spawned into direct DMR fire or anything, and there are certainly enough corners to hide behind! The opposing team just played to the maps strengths and great call outs. Maybe it's just exaggeration, but I like the frantic pace of the map to even think of adding cover or anything like that.

One suggestion that has cropped up a lot is removing the railings in the corners, or at least facilitating the jump up by adding a box to jump on or something. Which is amusing in itself as the railing were raised to prevent that from happening...

Wish there was some objective going on though, I want to play multi-flag on it!

Sikamikanico said:
Both CoF and Kingdom seem to be getting mostly postive feedback on Bungie.net, which is good to see. Although, I've had some people say that DMR starts are bad on Kingdom, because a well organised team can lock down the map and decimate the oppostion...

Isn't that just called winning?
You just described my favorite thing about Kingdom. It's DMR paradise. I love maps like that where I don't need Jetpack to get around and Armor Lock is not as useful out in the open. I just grab Sprint and feel like a pro with my DMR.

feel

hai guys I'm in a shit pc with no audio, will I be missing much on that video by watching it like that? Kidding, I'll wait till I get home, sounds like a nice vid.

happy birthday bobs and major williams :p

Hello everybody! Now someone of you may know me, most of you won't on here, just wanted to say after contemplating joining gaf for 3 years (HBO is still my true love <3), i went through with signing up just a couple of days ago, nice to see you all, i have a few questions and requests if you dont mind!

1) I need more halo fans on my freinds list, especially the europeans and brits on here, i love playing objective game modes so if your interested please do add me, i usually play with a big(ish?) group on a daily basis anyway.

2) Hey Ghal, if you have space on your FL, you can add me if you want, why? because you like playing firefight limited and so do i : )

3) Also i support your halo 2 arcade movement wwm0nkey, if it means i get to play on 1 flag terminal and relic again!

4) Off topic, but anyone know how the validation works for neogaf accounts? i signed up just two ago, and got validated (pretty fast).

Lastly sorry blueninja for yesterday, i had eight people in my party, so i couldn't do anything about your invite before the game started for us, sorry again.

Thanks everyone.

Edit: My grammar and spelling can sometimes be horrible, please ignore, dam you iphone auto correct!

Hey You

I'll have to re-Download Waypoint on my 360 after school. My old computer isn't what she used to be.

I'm super stoked to get some fresh hands on the Franchise and to see that 343i is listening and welcoming feedback.

We desperately need some more BTB maps, BTB used to be my 2nd favorite (Full time) playlist in H3 but I hardly play it in Reach. I'm tired of Hemorrhage.

ElzarTheBam said:
Hello everybody! Now someone of you may know me, most of you won't on here, just wanted to say after contemplating joining gaf for 3 years (HBO is still my true love <3), i went through with signing up just a couple of days ago, nice to see you all, i have a few questions and requests if you dont mind!

1) I need more halo fans on my freinds list, especially the europeans and brits on here, i love playing objective game modes so if your interested please do add me, i usually play with a big(ish?) group on a daily basis anyway.

2) Hey Ghal, if have space on your FL, you add me iff you want, why? because you like playing firefight limited and so do i : )

3) Also i support your halo 2 arcade movement wwm0nkey, if it means i get to play on 1 flag terminal and relic again!

4) Off topic, but anyone know how the validation works for neogaf accounts? i signed up just two ago, and got validated (pretty fast).

Lastly sorry blueninja for yesterday, i had eight people in my party, so i couldn't do anything about your invite before the game started for us, sorry again.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah I got validated superfast too, it happens sometimes.

I'm a brit, feel free to add - GT is the same as my username. Just drop me a FR saying its you, or you may get rejected.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Letters said:
hai guys I'm in a shit pc with no audio, will I be missing much on that video by watching it like that? Kidding, I'll wait till I get home, sounds like a nice vid.

Use closed captions on Youtube for the lulz.

ppal.jpg

Behind the scenes video was great. Its nice to see Frankie back in control of Halo. I really do trust him & the entire 343i Team to do great things with the halo franchise.
<3

A27 Tawpgun said:
Feel free to toss me an FR also. I've always liked Arena but never had a full team that was willing to play. I remember getting Onyx in the beta. I want it back.

Can I get in on this as well? I love arena, and don't have many people to play it with.

Oozer3993

Vidoc was smexy. The looks at discarded map variations was fascinating. I may finally be motivated enough to start working on my own maps.

Nuborn

From what I played of the Noble maps they weren't that good. We're getting a new firefight map plus the return of CA doing MP maps, So bought.

JonCha

Sikamikanico said:
Yeah I got validated superfast too, it happens sometimes.

I'm a brit, feel free to add - GT is the same as my username. Just drop me a FR saying its you, or you may get rejected.

I'll add to this too. My Gamertag is Pari4h (yeah, it's crap, and, yeah, it's getting changed very soon) so hit me up if you'd like to. I'm not playing regularly at the moment as I'm playing Bad Company 2, but I certainly have not abandoned it. Just a bit of a self-imposed probation.

wwm0nkey said:
updated the Halo 2 XBLA image to add the Xbox Live logo
and to cause more tears :)

http://i54.tinypic.com/14sdwtj.jpg

Why aren't Big M doing this already? It would be the ultimate cash cow.

JonCha said:
I'll add to this too. My Gamertag is Pari4h (yeah, it's crap, and, yeah, it's getting changed very soon) so hit me up if you'd like to. I'm not playing regularly at the moment as I'm playing Bad Company 2, but I certainly have not abandoned it. Just a bit of a self-imposed probation.

Why aren't Big M doing this already? It would be the ultimate cash cow.

You play bad company 2? awesome, time to add, bad company 2 and by extension vietnam is one of this gens most spectacular FPS (but thats for a different OT).

Presco

kylej said:
These dudes get it.

Certainly seems like it. I wasn't planning on getting these at release because I wasn't too happy about only 2 maps. That vidoc may have turned the tide. I am so weak. Hell, even the firefight map looks great.

Guy found this from a thread in the OT on a youtube comments page.

Ghaleon! Why must you slave drive your kids!?

Salvor.Hardin said:
That was pretty cool. Sort of a land of the lost type feel.

Edit: haha Just read this comment:

Hey Neogaf. Something I don't understand about GhaleonEB is that he spends all his time in the politics thread and playing Halo but he has two daughters and a wife. And then he forces his daughters to play Halo and they oblige because daughters at a young age worship their dad. But he's&#65279; stealing their youth from them. And forcing them to grow up to be the kind of girls that he always wanted to date. But it's not fair.

The fuck gaf?

Pennybags

ElzarTheBam said:

2) Hey Ghal, if you have space on your FL, you can add me if you want, why? because you like playing firefight limited and so do i : )

Thanks everyone.

Edit: My grammar and spelling can sometimes be horrible, please ignore, dam you iphone auto correct!

Nice to see you around these parts!

My validation a year ago was similarly swift.

Edit: H2 XBLA would be nice, but I still feel it's too soon.

Top Bottom