• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Yeah, my friend didn't run backwards at all after getting through the gate. Really doesn't make any sense. Oh well, easy 5 min. run by yourself anyway. Would be interesting to slug it out with a team of good players the normal way though. Will get to try that out for the rest of the levels since Winter and Nightfall are the only two you can just run through for the most part, AFAIK. Not sure if you were going to do the forklift glitch Ghal but if you do, let me know if it works for you guys. Curious at this point.

Happy Birthday Willz!

Maybe something like:

Team Doubles: 2v2 (Same as now)
Multi Team: 2v2v2v2 (Slayer, Oddball, Crazy King, NO RACING)
Action Sack: 3v3 (Fiesta, Sumo, Dodgeball, Rocket Hog Racing)
Race: 1v1v1v1v1v1 (6) (Mongoose racing)

GhaleonEB

Squall ASF said:
Yeah, my friend didn't run backwards at all after getting through the gate. Really doesn't make any sense. Oh well, easy 5 min. run by yourself anyway. Would be interesting to slug it out with a team of good players the normal way though. Will get to try that out for the rest of the levels since Winter and Nightfall are the only two you can just run through for the most part, AFAIK. Not sure if you were going to do the forklift glitch Ghal but if you do, let me know if it works for you guys. Curious at this point.

Happy Birthday Willz!
We'll probably do it; I've done it once for a previous Legendary no-death run on Nightfall. I really don't like how Nightfall plays on Legendary so I'm happy to skip as much as possible.

Dax, I'm down for another run tonight.

Maybe it's been asked and answered, but, do they ever plan on opening the firefight maps to multiplayer? That new firefight map looks great for some multiplayer action.

A27_StarWolf said:
Why is it that you dont want to purchase it?
I might be the odd one out here but competitive multiplayer isn't really where I get my gaming enjoyment nowadays. I'm pretty busy both in and out of work on some huge projects so when I do get some time to play I'm very susceptible to getting frustrated, and getting my ass handed to me in various arenas isn't really the nicest way to decompress. But stuff like Co-op, Firefight and Campaign is almost always a good thing.

So yeah, I *love* the backdrops and design of the new maps, but I'll probably only get quality time out of the Firefight map, and at 800 points for one map that's a very tough sell.

moop2000 said:
Maybe it's been asked and answered, but, do they ever plan on opening the firefight maps to multiplayer? That new firefight map looks great for some multiplayer action.

I highly doubt that will ever happen. Someone else can probably give a more technical answer, but I don't think those maps are built with all of the appropriate multiplayer content loaded.

It's the same reason you can't place Generators in Forge and play Gen Defense in Multiplayer... they aren't included in the map file.

Oh boy, I know I said I would be coming back to Reach a couple weeks ago, but after that latest ViDoc by 343i, I'm definitely getting back into Reach. Highlands looks like sex.

GhaleonEB said:
We'll probably do it; I've done it once for a previous Legendary no-death run on Nightfall. I really don't like how Nightfall plays on Legendary so I'm happy to skip as much as possible.

Dax, I'm down for another run tonight.

I've done it before for the same thing with Nutters and I forget who the thrid person was. Maybe Domino. Anyway, maybe it just doesn't work for two people for some reason *shrug* there's no rational reason as to why it doesn't work. If it didn't work for coop at all, that'd be one thing but I think Nutters replied last night saying his buddies did it with a three man team.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
I highly doubt that will ever happen. Someone else can probably give a more technical answer, but I don't think those maps are built with all of the appropriate multiplayer content loaded.

It's the same reason you can't place Generators in Forge and play Gen Defense in Multiplayer... they aren't included in the map file.
Yup.

The demands of the two maps are different from a design standpoint, but some Firefight maps would make good MP spaces.
Squall ASF said:
I've done it before for the same thing with Nutters and I forget who the thrid person was. Maybe Domino. Anyway, maybe it just doesn't work for two people for some reason *shrug* there's not rational reason as to why it doesn't work. If it didn't work for coop at all, that'd be one thing but I think Nutters replied last night saying his buddies did it with a three man team.
We were getting cut down by the turret. Gonna try the snipe and run method.

-Yeti said:
Oh boy, I know I said I would be coming back to Reach a couple weeks ago, but after that latest ViDoc by 343i, I'm definitely getting back into Reach. Highlands looks like sex.

Sex looks like highlands.

Crucio

Just the ViDoc I was longing for. Heh, they're way ahead of things.

It was good to see inside Certain Affinity's gig. The maps look gorgeous and worthy of epic battles. Thanks for the Behind the Scenes, looking forward to seeing the map pack.

I can't wait to see what 343i has in store for Halo.

GhaleonEB said:
Yup.

The demands of the two maps are different from a design standpoint, but some Firefight maps would make good MP spaces.

We were getting cut down by the turret. Gonna try the snipe and run method.

Too bad they would play out as a powerpoint slide....

I've gotten past that part going both ways. If you want to go left, you snipe the turret from inside the building you enter from, hug the center wall that curves around, and dash across the left side leaping to try to throw off needles and such. Make sure to toss a grenade when approaching the jackal and grunt. It will just blow them aside and you can sprint past them into the area with the wild creatures.

Otherwise, you can ignore the turrent and go right instead, sprinting and leaping into the building which allows you to get across the area safely inside and then just hop out and hug the right side (do same grenade technique for grunt/jackal). This strategy works best by yourself but it's a little trickier with other people. What happens is that the fire and nades that miss the lead person will catch the others. You can do it but you have to make sure everyone runs together and approaches the building entrance at the same time rather than single file so everyone dodges the fire together.

Squall ASF said:
Too bad they would play out as a powerpoint slide....

I've gotten past that part going both ways. If you want to go left, you snipe the turret from inside the building you enter from, hug the center wall that curves around, and dash across the left side leaping to try to throw off needles and such. Make sure to toss a grenade when approaching the jackal and grunt. It will just blow them aside and you can sprint past them into the area with the wild creatures.

Otherwise, you can ignore the turrent and go right instead, sprinting and leaping into the building which allows you to get across the area safely inside and then just hop out and hug the right side (do same grenade technique for grunt/jackal). This strategy works best by yourself but it's a little trickier with other people. What happens is that the fire and nades that miss the lead person will catch the others. You can do it but you have to make sure everyone runs together and approaches the building entrance at the same time rather than single file so everyone dodges the fire together.

Beachhead BTB would kick ass.

I'm commenting on the netcode. FF and campaign have real issues playing coop in many cases so you can only imagine with as many players as a MP match supports. It would be awful. Some of the levels themselves, ofcourse, would be fun. Multi-Team on Corvette would make me laugh my ass off. Would be stupid, but funny/maybefun as hell.

Squall ASF said:
Multi-Team on Corvette would make me laugh my ass off. Would be stupid, but funny/maybefun as hell.
KOTH. Hill stays in the middle.
Fiesta weapons. Full grenades. 50% gravity, 200% shields.

Used to do something similar on Midship for the hell of it.

FourDoor

Nice vidoc. I like how Frankie mentioned maps for the future.

What was also amazing were the different stages the defiant map packs wen through and that it actually was rendered/playtested to a point and changed. Goes to show the amount of work that was put in these new maps.

MrBig

Tashi0106 said:
Who was I playing Arena with today besides Gui? That was fun, we shit on those guys. I barley used my hologram hahahaha
I was in with you for a couple games.
Was my first Arena experience. Played like shit those last two games but still pulled a 1400 something. Thats around an average rating y/n?

Tawpgun

Glacier would be good for one sided objectives.
Waterfront would be a great FFA map, not all too different than Powerhouse.
Courtyard could make a good 4 v 4 Slayer
Overlook could be good for one sided. Maybe add a little more cover.
MAYBE Beachhead for CTF. I just think the big, main building would be too out of the way.
Ideally it would be the two bases that the bridge connects.
Unearthed looks like an OK FFA/Slayer map. The Top looks too open though.

The rest wouldn't be that good.

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
If you and Ghal need another send me an invite.
Will do. 7:00 PM pacific / 10:00 east coast.
FourDoor said:
Nice vidoc. I like how Frankie mentioned maps for the future.
I like that they keep calling Unearthed the "first" DLC Firefight map. I hope it's not the last. I'd take a three-pack in a heartbeat, but since they wouldn't sell as much as MP solo, they'll probably continue to bundle them to MP.

Karl2177

Squall ASF said:
I'm commenting on the netcode. FF and campaign have real issues playing coop in many cases so you can only imagine with as many players as a MP match supports. It would be awful. Some of the levels themselves, ofcourse, would be fun. Multi-Team on Corvette would make me laugh my ass off. Would be stupid, but funny/maybefun as hell.
Campaign and Firefight use synchronous networking, which means everyone has to be in the same point of packet transfer before they're dropped. You can then guess that multiplayer is asynchronous, so if one person is lagging, it's just the one person lagging. I'm guessing it's due to the dynamic AI and objectives in Campaign and FF--You don't want one person thinking that there is an Elite here, when in actuality it is 3 meters to the right on the host box.

Frankie/ 343/ CA et al - Ill keep this short and sweet. I love you. <3

I did have ONE minor issue with something in the Vidoc though at about 6 mins in that waterfall looked beautiful. I know you guys said it doesn't go with traditional fiction, but I don't really see where that comes from? All I know is it looked immense, and if it played well you guys should have kept it! It wasnt as clean as maybe some of the Forerunner aesthetics, but as Highgrounds is a map on a fairly unseen human planet it wouldn't have been shocking.

I get the feeling having the waterfall running through would have killed framerate issues though?

Happy Birthday Major Williams.
Its my birthday too :p - best people share the same birthday

MrBig

Listening to that Marty compilation someone posted inspired me to listen through all of my Halo OST (Bought them all at release, <3 you marty)

bobs99 ... said:
Frankie/ 343/ CA et al - Ill keep this short and sweet. I love you. <3

I did have ONE minor issue with something in the Vidoc though at about 6 mins in that waterfall looked beautiful. I know you guys said it doesn't go with traditional fiction, but I don't really see where that comes from? All I know is it looked immense, and if it played well you guys should have kept it! It wasnt as clean as maybe some of the Forerunner aesthetics, but as Highgrounds is a map on a fairly unseen human planet it wouldn't have been shocking.

I get the feeling having the waterfall running through would have killed framerate issues though?
There's actually less effects that need to be rendered for that style of waterfall than the one they used, which has mist particle effects running along its entire length. And that waterfall and the whole area reminds me strongly of Great Journey. It wouldn't have stuck out, and was much more elegant than what they ended up going with.

Tunavi

Banned
The 343 Vidoc made me really hopeful for the future. I can't say yet, but I think Halo is in the right hands now. I'm sure Bungie is extremely bored of Halo.

This transition period is very strange but I will be following both Bungie and 343. Halo without Marty makes me :'(

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
The 343 Vidoc made me really hopeful for the future. I can't say yet, but I think Halo is in the right hands now. I'm sure Bungie is extremely bored of Halo.

This transition period is very strange but I will be following both Bungie and 343. Halo without Marty makes me :'(
Look on the flip side: I can't wait to hear Marty doing a whole new suite of themes for whatever universe Bungie is concocting next. My ears are ready for he and Michael to move in a different direction.

Whoever takes over Halo's audio at 343i has some big shoes to fill, though.

Crucio

Tunavi said:

Halo without Marty will be, a step down for sure. BUT, with the huge world that Marty and Micheal have created for Halo, there is so much to reference from, I know 343i will find the talent they need to build upon greatness.

GhaleonEB said:
Look on the flip side: I can't wait to hear Marty doing a whole new suite of themes for whatever universe Bungie is concocting next. My ears are ready for he and Michael to move in a different direction.

You're right, for whatever Bungie has in store, the music will be worthy. I'm excited.

GhaleonEB said:

Hopefully a direction that doesn't include timpani's in every goddamn song.

They'll have a hard time topping this gem. Didn't feel out of place at all.

wwm0nkey

I really like how there was an initial negative impression of 343i when they where first annouced to be taking over the Halo IP, but now everyone loves them. :D

Tunavi

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

You're right, I can't wait to hear Marty's music go in a new direction.

And I don't think anyone will ever match Marty's work in the Video Game music industry, let alone the next Halo games
wwm0nkey said:
I really like how there was an initial negative impression of 343i when they where first annouced to be taking over the Halo IP, but now everyone loves them. :D
I'm REALLY impressed by the look of these new maps. Its stuff that I wanted from the actual game, like being in orbit above the destruction of Reach. If they can make a campaign of that grand sort, I'll be there DAY ONE, you hear me 343? Don't hype me up and let me down hard.

GhaleonEB said:
Look on the flip side:... My ears are ready for he and Michael to move in a different direction.
This.
Also, beyond their next big thing, who's to say Marty won't have some hand in 343's Halo project music-wise? However remote the possibility, nothing precludes him from working with Frankie and Co. from a legal standpoint (that I would be aware of). If ever there were an appropriate situation to farm out his talents I think this would qualify. But like I said, a remote possibility.

wwm0nkey

You know I just started thinking, with a new console gen coming in 2013, wonder if they should just put filler/ spin off Halo titles in and release the big continuation of Halo 3 for the new Xbox launch.

Top Bottom