• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Alright folks. Last night didn't turn out the way I expected, so tonight is when we're going to get some Defiant customs going. There is no other alternative: There must be games tonight!

Dani said:
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts - 7777cR
Win 50 games in multiplayer Matchmaking this week.
Someone at Bungie is a fan of Friday Night Lights.

Anyway, my impressions of the maps because it's Monday...

1. Condemned is a good mid-sized map. From the games I played on it, I enjoyed it a lot more than Anchor 9. It's able to blend close-range combat and long-range combat pretty seamlessly. I like the skybox on this map apart from the way Reach looks glassed. It gives off a videogame look that's kind of cheesy. It looks like videogame graphics were put over a lovely painting of a planet, and the two just don't mix well together.
2. Highlands may have a chance of usurping Tempest as my favorite map in Reach. I'd have to play it more to make a decision on that. Highlands is an awesome BTB map. I'd call it a successor to Valhalla, and therefore a successor to the idea of "two bases in a boxed canyon." Even if it doesn't have a canyon around it. The only thing I about this map I'm a little uneasy about is that there aren't any teleporters or mancannons near/next to the flag. There's nothing like the feeling of grabbing a flag then flinging yourself away.
3. Unearthed is my favorite Firefight map.

I have a video that I want to render from the few games I played on the maps. Can't wait until Bungie.net pulls the curtain over the new maps.

Pennybags

Dax01 said:
Anyway, my impressions of the maps because it's Monday...

1. Condemned is a good mid-sized map. From the games I played on it, I enjoyed it a lot more than Anchor 9. It's able to blend close-range combat and long-range combat pretty seamlessly. I like the skybox on this map apart from the way Reach looks glassed. It gives off a videogame look that's kind of cheesy. It looks like videogame graphics were put over a lovely painting of a planet, and the two just don't mix well together.

I already know I'm going to love Highlands, so how do you feel about Condemned's low-G section? Is it conducive to the overall map flow like Anchor 9's outside area, or does it feel closer to Zealot's separated space (shudder)?

Pennybags said:
I already know I'm going to love Highlands, so how do you feel about Condemned's low-G section? Is it conducive to map flow like Anchor 9, or closer to Zealot (shudder)?
Ah. Forgot to bring that part up. The low-gravity section of Condemned isn't in the way while being out of the way. Let me explain. On Anchor 9, the low-gravity area is a very small (and very narrow) portion of the map, all the way on one side, but yet much of the combat happens there. This isn't so on Condemned. The combat is spread out far more evenly, and you can avoid the low-gravity section and not miss much of the action.

Of course, the map could play out differently in matchmaking, but that's the way it played out in custom games.

Tawpgun

I like tempest and all, but the brightness can get a bit annoying. I would still take tempest remakes over the getting old and framerate nightmare of forge world.

Decided I won't be getting the maps for at least another two weeks. Have a tryout exam coming up next week, and another one the week after that, and I haven't done shit for both up 'till now. Recent events have completely killed my will to study, so I'm going to have to take some 'drastic measures' to prevent myself from spending too much time with games. :lol

Oh, life.

Tawpgun

Blue Ninja said:
Decided I won't be getting the maps for at least another two weeks. Have a tryout exam coming up next week, and another one the week after that, and I haven't done shit for both up 'till now. Recent events have completely killed my will to study, so I'm going to have to take some 'drastic measures' to prevent myself from spending too much time with games. :lol

Oh, life.
Nooooooooooooo

I guess this means no Defiant panoramas anytime soon...

Anyway, I'm hoping for some last minute downpours before I have to buy the maps.

Blue Ninja said:

Oh, life.

"Never let school interfere with your Halo Reach" -Mark Twain

A27 Tawpgun said:
Nooooooooooooo

I guess this means no Defiant panoramas anytime soon...

Anyway, I'm hoping for some last minute downpours before I have to buy the maps.
MrBig generously volunteered to create some Defiant panorama's, and you should probably see some of mine pop up in a few weeks.

Hey You

Man you guys are making my hype levels through the roof!

If I fail my drivers License road test today, I'll be able to buy the maps tomorrow.

I don't know which is better, playing on awesome maps or having my full drivers license :p

HiredN00bs said:
So you can get the 3 new achievements in custom games. All you have to do is play a compatible gametype in matchmaking, then start a custom game with the gametype and map you just played, drawn from your temporary history. I accidentaly discovered this while trying to determine if returning the flag was possible in a 1 Flag CTF game (return time and reset time are both 30 seconds, I believe, and it is possible to return).
Haha, really? That's pretty funny. Anyone try any of the Noble Chevo's in Custom games?

Edit: Just read your reply.

Pennybags

Dax01 said:
Ah. Forgot to bring that part up. The low-gravity section of Condemned isn't in the way while being out of the way. Let me explain. On Anchor 9, the low-gravity area is a very small (and very narrow) portion of the map, all the way on one side, but yet much of the combat happens there. This isn't so on Condemned. The combat is spread out far more evenly, and you can avoid the low-gravity section and not miss much of the action.

Cool beans! I like the comparisons with Desolation that some are throwing out there. Too bad I can't watch any video until later.

Thanks for the response.

Devin Olsen said:
Anyone up for some MM?
I'm going to finish Chapter 6 of Bulletstorm, then we could rock the stages of MM.

Btw. Halo: Faith has a new concept up. I'm very curious about the first teaser etc.
njfiZ.jpg

vhfive

Feeling quite ill right now so I'm probably just going to check the maps out in forge then switch to Torchlight. I'll be around later tonight though if some customs are going on then.

Louis Wu

Hitmonchan107 said:
Which one updates faster: B.net front page or the actual Comm Chatter page?
They update at exactly the same time - they both pull content from the same database.

HOWEVER:

B.net is served from a server array - and it's possible to hit different servers depending on whether or not you're logged in (and it's possible for your browser to log you in between when you hit the front page and when you're viewing the CC page).

Short answer - there's no easy way to predict the answer to your question. :)

Tawpgun

Hitmonchan107 said:
Which one updates faster: B.net front page or the actual Comm Chatter page?
Are you aware of some code drop or something hmmmmmmm?

Also, I was thinking of making a Quake gametype. Hella fast speed. Rockets would be the conc rifle, lightning gun is focus rifle.

Hypertrooper said:
Anybody still need a code? Verohime will be give away some!

Btw. Greenskull from the HaloWaypoint Community has an awesome video preview about the Defiant MapPack. You should check it out. See Dani, Tashi and me killing some dudes! (footage are from the short friday Defiant customs :))

If I had time to sit on Twitter all day, I would. Sadly my 2 year old has other ideas.

FML.

feel

Will there actually be Defiant Classic customs tonight? My brother was playing MM on my tag with his friends last night and I kept making him check the friends list every once in a while but never noticed any gaf customs group forming up.

Nuborn

People playing defiant customs now? Im already on just finishing up a game on Unearthed, Melee weapons only on Heroic. Elites are evil in numbers

A27 Tawpgun said:

Also, I was thinking of making a Quake gametype. Hella fast speed. Rockets would be the conc rifle, lightning gun is focus rifle.

Hahaha, no. But one can dream, right?

StickSkills has another code giveaway.

Edit: Thanks, Wu!

Double edit: I'm really getting tired of the Xbox.com glitch thing happening to me! :'^(

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
It's a shame I have a real job, otherwise I could try to grab a code from a give away. I guess I need to start playing Halo with the cool kids so I can get in on the early action too. I also wonder if it's legal to give away content for an M rated game to someone under 17?

A27 Tawpgun said:

That would be crazy interesting, I was playing a lot of QuakeWorld before I got back into Reach haha.

Top Bottom