• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Plywood said:
What's your favorite map? Also rate them all like this:

:D
:|
:/

Highlands, it's very versatile and it's just awesome for BTB.

All three are pretty sweet - up there with the best of them. Can't wait to see how Condemned plays out in the long run.

xxxstylzxxx said:
WooHoo.jpg

moar clips plz.

Need to wait for the Bnet embargo to be lifted. =s

Dani said:
Bnet still hides all the new maps, pics and vids so we need to wait until that's lifted or get a capture card. Should be shortly though.

Questions can be answered in depth if you wanna ask or anything.

How does the Defiant maps stack up against the Noble ones? Let's say you had to choose between Tempest/Highlands and Anchor 9/Condemned. Which ones do you prefer and why? :)

What game types do you prefer on the two multiplayer maps?

Devin Olsen said:
Does my montage load/have music for all you guys? I'm having weird issues with it, trying to figure out what's going on.

I've been having issues with it. Picture is fine, just the audio isn't working. Besides all that, your montage is really nice.

Same goes for Tashi's. Great job guys!

EDIT: Audio is working for me now.

EDIT 2: Tashi, you're way too good :lol

-Yeti said:
I've been having issues with it. Picture is fine, just the audio isn't working. Besides all that, your montage is really nice.

Same goes for Tashi's. Great job guys!

EDIT: Audio is working for me now.
Ah lame. You're from the UK I take it? (im guessing)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
theAntagonist said:
How does the Defiant maps stack up against the Noble ones? Let's say you had to choose between Tempest/Highlands and Anchor 9/Condemned. Which ones do you prefer and why? :)

What game types do you prefer on the two multiplayer maps?

Defiant Maps are just as good is not better than the Noble ones but the inclusion of a FF map in Defiant should rule out any direct comparisons. They are both solid additions to Reach.

If I had to choose, Highlands and Tempest are both pretty sweet but I'd choose Highlands just because it supports more vehicular mayhem but in terms of pure Slayer I'd say they are about equal.

Condemned over Anchor 9. Dat skybox. Plus, Condemned has more space, more room to fight and run but that's personal preference.

Lead Based Paint said:
Get back on the Reach to find that the season is 3 months long now?

So i get to wait even more for a division placement?

I heard going backwards is a good design decision.

It took me a week to get placed in a division.

I honestly have no idea where you got that idea.

Dani said:
Defiant Maps are just as good is not better than the Noble ones but the inclusion of a FF map in Defiant should rule out any direct comparisons. They are both solid additions to Reach.

If I had to choose, Highlands and Tempest are both pretty sweet but I'd choose Highlands just because it supports more vehicular mayhem but in terms of pure Slayer I'd say they are about equal.

Condemned over Anchor 9. Dat skybox. Plus, Condemned has more space, more room to fight and run but that's personal preference.

That's good to hear. I thought the Noble maps were pretty great, and to hear that the Defiant maps are even more so makes me excited to play on them.

Unearthed also looks awesome; does it do vehicular Firefight well? And how does the on-foot combat fare? That's the one thing that was really missing from the initial FF maps.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lead Based Paint said:

Wrong. Quoting Bungie:

All of the existing Arena playlists will be replaced with a single playlist called…The Arena.
  • We’re simplifying the format of Arena and keeping the core 4v4 configuration.
  • A new competitive Double Team playlist will be created to replace the Doubles Arena.
The Arena will have Seasonal lengths of 3 months.
  • This will allow you to make a longer investment in maintaining your Divisional placement.
The Arena will still have Player Ratings to represent your individual skill in each game you play, but this rating will no longer be used to calculate who won the game.
  • Your skill will be judged by whether your team wins or loses.
  • You can still track your daily rating to see how well you’re doing.
The formula for Player Rating will be modified to reduce the value of assists and remove the effects of the loss scalar.
  • Loss scalar will no longer be necessary because the Player Rating will no longer be used for TrueSkill calculations.
The gametype used will have the following basic settings: DMR/AR/1Frag/Sprint, Evade, Jetpack, and Hologram with Motion Tracker ON.
  • This is closer to the Team Slayer experience, which is the gameplay experience that The Arena is intended to represent.

Hey You

Dani said:
Bnet still hides all the new maps, pics and vids so we need to wait until that's lifted or get a capture card. Should be shortly though.

Questions can be answered in depth if you wanna ask or anything.
Can't you just click on them and they will appear? Isn't it like the Campaign files are Reach was released?

GhaleonEB

theAntagonist said:
Unearthed also looks awesome; does it do vehicular Firefight well? And how does the on-foot combat fare? That's the one thing that was really missing from the initial FF maps.
Vehicular: yes.

On-foot: awesome.

It's the best Firefight map, period.

GhaleonEB said:

That is great news. I personally don't play Firefight in Reach enough, even though it can definitely be very fun. Firefight in ODST was awesome, yet I don't enjoy it as much in Reach for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. It sounds as though Unearthed should get me back to playing Firefight again though.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
theAntagonist said:
That's good to hear. I thought the Noble maps were pretty great, and to hear that the Defiant maps are even more so makes me excited to play on them.

Unearthed is clearly built for Firefight, without exception. Every walkway, path, room, piece of geometry has been put to to ensure maximum amounts of win. It feels like a partial racetrack - vehicles feel right at home as much as infantry and the on-foot combat doesn't suffer at all in fact it's better than any other FF map. The way it's designed gives you many options for tackling enemies, whether you like to run around, jet pack from level to level or camp in certain areas but this works for the enemy too, you can find yourself surrounded quickly and have a ton of enemies on top of you in a eye blink.

In short, it's the perfect FF map. The Rockethog was actually fun to use, I think it works better than I thought it would. Its no normal hog, but when you get going with it, the time flies and it's just Halo moment after Halo moment.

Hey You said:
Can't you just click on them and they will appear? Isn't it like the Campaign files are Reach was released?

Nope. Just got to wait.

zlatko

Banned
:( I hate that I have to go to sleep and I may wake up to missing a possible code give away posted in the thread.

Can't wait for my copy from Amazon to show up this week though. The new Arena changes sound like they may encourage more team work yay. :)

GhaleonEB said:

Have you played Legendary on it yet?

If not, on Tuesday two battle bros shall unite under one glorious banner. Their bronzed bodies will glimmer under the midday sun as they cross their heavy swords against the invading alien armada.

If I could make that statement more homoerotic, I would. By God I would.

Edit: I regret nothing. I mean every word I ever say ever.

Dani said:
Unearthed is clearly built for Firefight, without exception. Every walkway, path, room, piece of geometry has been put to to ensure maximum amounts of win. It feels like a partial racetrack - vehicles feel right at home as much as infantry and the on-foot combat doesn't suffer at all in fact it's better than any other FF map. The way it's designed gives you many options for tackling enemies, whether you like to run around, jet pack from level to level or camp in certain areas but this works for the enemy too, you can find yourself surrounded quickly and have a ton of enemies on top of you in a eye blink.

In short, it's the perfect FF map. The Rockethog was actually fun to use, I think it works better than I thought it would. Its no normal hog, but when you get going with it, the time flies and it's just Halo moment after Halo moment.

Nope. Just got to wait.

That's definitely one thing that separates Unearthed from the rest of the FF maps. It was made specifically with Firefight in mind. I totally understand why Bungie went the route they did with making Reach, but I can't help but feel the game would have been better overall if they had made the Campaign, Firefight, and Competitive maps each unique rather than trying to fit them into each other.

blamite

Lead Based Paint said:

You get to see your division as well as your percentile within that division as soon as you play 4 games a day for five days. You just get an extra two months to move around between divisions. It's much better, imo.

feel

that e guy was all pissed off at me in my first game of the F&F reach beta because I was firing my guns at the ground and looking at textures instead of helping the team...

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
awesome!

Well though I havent gotten to play a match on either MP map I will say that Unearthed is a lot of fun to play FF on.

Also I love how both the new MP maps look but HATE their forge selection :/

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
equil said:
Was classic slayer always available in the gametype section? Or was it added with the map pack?

The Classic we're all talking about exists only as a Custom Gametype for the moment. These are the settings;

Player Speed 120%
Jump Height 125%
Player Gravity 150%
Damage Modifier 110%
Melee Modifier 75%
Damage Resistance 100%
Shield Recharge Rate 110%
Health Recharge Rate 110%

NOF posted them as the settings to be used in a Classic playlist that should be coming next month but the exact settings are subject to change. Right now we're giving them a try, last HaloGAF Customs for example used only these settings and tried some Classic Slayer, Bomb and Flag on some community made remakes we found.

Are there any plans to release new armor/accessories to buy from the armory? More would be great.

According to Bungie it's impossible to add new stuff, there are none in the new DLC and all indications point to it never happening.

GhaleonEB

Two things.

Thing one: I had alluded to a problem I had with one design aspect of Unearthed in a previous, nebulous post. Now that I can be specific: the spawn room has two ways in, a set of stairs from the cargo bay below, and a bridge entrance in front. The problem I had was, they both converge in the same corner, which I thought would make it easy to hold - before I played it. You might think so too, looking a the videos and screens. Two which I say: Admiral Ackbar would like to have a word with you. Have fun when a dozen Skirmishers flood the room at once.

Thing two: I hope come Tuesday Unearthed is integrated into the Score Attack playlist at a higher priority than the other maps. Right now it's just one of nine in the playlist, and it can be hard to get it to come up. I sat down for some quality time with it tonight, and got Unearthed one out of eight games. Given that the MP playlists are supposed to place priority on the DLC maps when everyone has them, I'd like to see the Score Attack playlist work through all of the Unearthed options before moving to other maps.

Because hoping for Sniper Attack on that sweet new DLC map and getting Rocket Attack on Waterfront is not cool. Not at all.

Kibbles

Thanks for the montage videos Tashi and Devin :) Highlands looks so awesome. The music brought back memories from the beta trailer, the big reveal of Reach's gameplay.

Are there still going to be some more code drops?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
First how does Ram not have a code?

Also, I have a HighLands full gameplay video uploaded and ready to go if you guys want to see it. I go I think positive 22 on it. It's where the opening to my montage happens :)

Tashi0106 said:

Also, I have a HighLands full gameplay video uploaded and ready to go if you guys want to see it. I go I think positive 22 on it. It's where the opening to my montage happens :)
I am pretty sure I get blained a few times during that game, so I would prefer if that never see's the internet.

kthx

Tunavi

Banned
Tashi0106 said:

Dooooooooo it.

Flipyap

GhaleonEB said:
Two things.

Thing one: I had alluded to a problem I had with one design aspect of Unearthed in a previous, nebulous post. Now that I can be specific: the spawn room has two ways in, a set of stairs from the cargo bay below, and a bridge entrance in front. The problem I had was, they both converge in the same corner, which I thought would make it easy to hold - before I played it. You might think so too, looking a the videos and screens. Two which I say: Admiral Ackbar would like to have a word with you. Have fun when a dozen Skirmishers flood the room at once.
I thought it's hilarious and terrifying. That goes for the whole map, there's no place where you can feel totally safe. Even the safest, most open area in the rightmost corner requires such a long trek from any spawn point, I found myself praying I can get there safely.
There isn't any other map where I felt motivated to constantly keep moving. I'm pretty sure the ammo crates are located in completely unsafe areas for that very reason. It's great. Really, really great.

Now how do I get to play it in Firefight Limited?

Top Bottom