• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Kuroyume

Banned
Haven't played customs on them yet but I did check out the multiplayer maps in Forge. No Banshees means the likelihood of these maps sucking is cut in half. Once 343 takes control either nerf the Banshee or remove it from multiplayer. I can't say anything about gameplay yet but as far as the art is concerned they look uglier than the noble maps. Anchor 9 is prettier than Condemned and they did a better job with the whole space battle thing. Probably would have liked it more if the windows didn't have some ugly tint and texture to them. Highlands has some really ugly spots below the cliffs and the textures on the rocks are like xbox quality. Doesn't matter if the gameplay is good but just felt like noting that Bungie's maps look better. Didn't feel like playing Firefight so I have nothing to say about the FF map.

Tunavi

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
invincible vehicles
t5jOy.png

:lol

Didn't Halo CE have invincible vehicles? Anyways, what I meant was something along the lines of vehicle health being tied to player health instead of just getting ass raped. So in a sense they would be invincible until the player died.

Perhaps my memory is poor but I seem to recall my Warthog looking like a burning turd but still chuggin along in H2 as long as I wasn't dead.

Sai-kun

Banned
Okay, can this week's update PLEASE have a Friday reference in it? Please?

Halo is fun fun fun fun. For the uninformed, click here.

Choosing whether to kick it in the back seat or front seat of a mongoose is so difficult.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Barrow Roll said:
:lol

Didn't Halo CE have invincible vehicles? Anyways, what I meant was something along the lines of vehicle health being tied to player health instead of just getting ass raped. So in a sense they would be invincible until the player died.

Perhaps my memory is poor but I seem to recall my Warthog looking like a burning turd but still chuggin along in H2 as long as I wasn't dead.
Yes but that's because it was tied back then, nowadays you drive over the wrong rock and your Hog will explode. Vehicle 'health' is not tied to player health basically. Also there is no in game setting for it.
Sai-kun said:
Okay, can this week's update PLEASE have a Friday reference in it? Please?

Halo is fun fun fun fun
I was literally just reading that thread.
Tunavi said:
Tashi.

come on! he said i'd always be a junior!
You may not be a junior in name but you'll always be a junior in his heart.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
First how does Ram not have a code?

Also, I have a HighLands full gameplay video uploaded and ready to go if you guys want to see it. I go I think positive 22 on it. It's where the opening to my montage happens :)

<3

Also, Reach look so good on my new TV set, I'm having a hard time adjusting to the extra 15 inches of screen, but man, it's good to look at. Especially maps like Tempest/Forge World, colors really pop out.

Flipyap

Kuroyume said:
I can't say anything about gameplay yet but as far as the art is concerned they look uglier than the noble maps. Anchor 9 is prettier than Condemned and they did a better job with the whole space battle thing. Probably would have liked it more if the windows didn't have some ugly tint and texture to them. Highlands has some really ugly spots below the cliffs and the textures on the rocks are like xbox quality. Doesn't matter if the gameplay is good but just felt like noting that Bungie's maps look better.
Since the moment Defiant has been revealed, I thought the maps look like they belong in Halo 3. The geometry is much simpler and CA doesn't seem too concerned with making the spaces look believable (some of the ramps look really oldschool, they're not really supported by anything, just basic shapes sticking out of walls).
Technically, they look "worse", but I love this look. The maps look really clean, there's very little clutter and the spaces feel much less claustrophobic. They makes me nostalgic for Halo 3 and that feels pretty good.

The art also has some sloppy (though really, really minor) technical issues - for example, you can see the edge of the sky bubble if you look straight down out the window on Condemned and there's some weird blocky geometry sticking out outside the play area that looks like remains from a much earlier draft, also the lower waterfall on Highlands looks terrible from the player's perspective (like a chunk of the surface is missing).

Tashi0106 said:
My heart:

< Tunavi: Junior Member 3
Tunavi gave you butterflies. And you don't know what you have to do.

Flipyap said:
Since the moment Defiant has been revealed, I thought the maps look like they belong in Halo 3. The geometry is much simpler and CA doesn't seem too concerned with making the spaces look believable (some of the ramps look really oldschool, they're not really supported by anything, just basic shapes sticking out of walls).
Technically, they look "worse", but I love this look. The maps look really clean, there's very little clutter and the spaces feel much less claustrophobic. They makes me nostalgic for Halo 3 and that feels pretty good.

The art also has some sloppy (though really, really minor) technical issues - for example, you can see the edge of the sky bubble if you look straight down out the window on Condemned and there's some weird blocky geometry sticking out outside the play area that looks like remains from a much earlier draft, also the lower waterfall on Highlands looks terrible from the player's perspective (like a chunk of the surface is missing).
I'm happy that I don't care about that. But I guess you too. Highland is on a higher standard than every other shipped Mappack in the aspect of gameplay. Even better than Tempest. CTF is so much fun on Highland. I hope people are going to vote more for CTF. Otherwise Unearthed looks really awesome. It is awesome and makes more fun than any other firefight map

Going to post impression later today.

Tashi0106 said:
Yep. HaloGAF beats everything. HALOGAF!(That was on friday, where we win always against VeroHime and Voc and soem others dudes or girls, right?)

Nutter

So uhm, since we can talk about the maps.

Condemned = Desolation and The Pit Combined, but much better.
Highlands = Avalanche and Valhalla Combined, but much better.

Both are by FAR, better maps then anything on disk. And no this isnt the new polish that is making me think this way. Even after 4 months I still think Tempest pre-Defiant is the best map in Reach, which is also an DLC map. So with that said DLC continues to impress. I have played 1 game on unearthed, and its well firefight, I do not play firefight too much so proper impressions will have to come from people like ghaleon.

I personally like Condemned over Highlands if you want to compare them to each other. It works well in 4v4 and also scales well to 8v8. One thing that stands out for it is that almost all rooms have 3 different entrances which keeps the players moving and not camp.

In closing, Reach... and eventually Halo 4 is in good hands. :)

Also Bloom sucks, AL sucks, Evade sucks. :p

Kibbles

Nutter said:

[/spoiler]
O_O Sounds too good to be true.

Flipyap

Hypertrooper said:
I'm happy that I don't care about that. But I guess you too.
Huh? I said those issues are really (REALLY) minor, but they do exist. I thought it's worth pointing out since I was replying to a post about graphics.
I also said that I like the way those maps look. I like it more than (technically superior) Bungie multiplayer map art...

Raide

Just a quick question. Downloaded the new maps but I cannot see them. They don't appear in the Forge list or the Custom Game list. Am I doing it wrong?

equil

Raide said:
Just a quick question. Downloaded the new maps but I cannot see them. They don't appear in the Forge list or the Custom Game list. Am I doing it wrong?

Either delete your noble maps or remove your legendary content and they'll show up.

It's supposedly being worked on.

Striker

People talk alot about Tempest, but I have found Anchor 9 to be an excellent CTF map. I have not gotten any Assault on it yet in Objective, but I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Nutter said:

Both are by FAR, better maps then anything on disk. And no this isnt the new polish that is making me think this way. Even after 4 months I still think Tempest pre-Defiant is the best map in Reach, which is also an DLC map. So with that said DLC continues to impress. I have played 1 game on unearthed, and its well firefight, I do not play firefight too much so proper impressions will have to come from people like ghaleon.

I personally like Condemned over Highlands if you want to compare them to each other. It works well in 4v4 and also scales well to 8v8. One thing that stands out for it is that almost all rooms have 3 different entrances which keeps the players moving and not camp.

In closing, Reach... and eventually Halo 4 is in good hands. :)

Also Bloom sucks, AL sucks, Evade sucks. :p

Whoa whoa Miss Lippy...Are you saying that Condemned is better than The Pit? If you are, I don't know how you could say that after you've only had them for a few days and you've played hundreds of games on the Pit. I'm not saying that it's not as good and that it can't be as good, I'm just saying that I think you might be jumping the gun a little. It is a good map, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I agree with the Highlands stuff though. I won't compare it to other maps but as someone who only plays MLG, I really enjoyed the games I played on that map. It's a very busy map. You're hardly ever running in open spaces or feel like it takes you forever to get somewhere. There are portals which seem to be in very good places and help map movement a ton.

What's interesting about Condemned is that it's like a series of large rooms connected by door ways, other rooms or halls with short sight lines. The only real deep sight lines are across the middle where rockets spawn when looking from one sniper to the other. There are no cross map stand offs. It's immediately better than Anchor 9 because of the shield doors and actually the whole outer space section. I'm not a huge fan of the low grav section on Condemned but it works pretty well. I'm just not sure if it's hit its full potential.

edit: Also, this is what my montage ALMOST was...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrmdoLIO4GE

Willeth

The pain of not playing Defiant this weekend has been soothed by an email telling me that my library just got my reserved copy of Cryptum. Looking forward to this.

So you can get the 3 new achievements in custom games. All you have to do is play a compatible gametype in matchmaking, then start a custom game with the gametype and map you just played, drawn from your temporary history. I accidentaly discovered this while trying to determine if returning the flag was possible in a 1 Flag CTF game (return time and reset time are both 30 seconds, I believe, and it is possible to return).

Pennybags

Oh yes, Highlands looks delectable.

Is the low-grav area in Condemned properly integrated or does it break/obstruct the flow of the map?

Raide

Nuborn said:
Wow, it DOES go with everything! Not had the chance to play the MP maps yet (Come on defiant playlist) but Unearthed is possibly the best firefight map since Lost Platoon in ODST, kinda reminds me of that as well but without choppers. RIP Choppy

I would love them to make a FF map where you get a Falcon to play with.

Willeth

HiredN00bs said:
So you can get the 3 new achievements in custom games. All you have to do is play a compatible gametype in matchmaking, then start a custom game with the gametype and map you just played, drawn from your temporary history. I accidentaly discovered this while trying to determine if returning the flag was possible in a 1 Flag CTF game (return time and reset time are both 30 seconds, I believe, and it is possible to return).
whoops

JonCha

Striker said:
People talk alot about Tempest, but I have found Anchor 9 to be an excellent CTF map. I have not gotten any Assault on it yet in Objective, but I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

Agreed. It's my favourite map from the Noble DLC pack.

Kibbles said:
O_O Sounds too good to be true.

After watching Tashi's clip I think I'm a believer. Everything from aesthetics to design (dat skybox! @_@) just seems to be at another level. Between this and the noble map pack it does appear that the Halo franchise is in good hands.

Raide

xxjuicesxx said:
Last week messed around and got a triple double.

Little Guardian Classic for anyone who missed it.

Classic playlist is fun, I actually have to get my strafe and DMR down now that it actually matters in a playlist!

That is a really good remake. Glad to see the Forge is finally producing some accurate remakes. It could do with adding some lighting to that map, since it looks a little bright.

Lead Based Paint said:
Get back on the Reach to find that the season is 3 months long now?

So i get to wait even more for a division placement?

I heard going backwards is a good design decision.

i was worried about this too, but division placement is now being updated daily once you qualify.

Worry more about evade in the arena.

Detox

Im_So_Pringles said:
Hearing that Jeremiah is going to try to make the classic playlist 100% remakes is very good news. The only bad thing about this news is that every map will look the same :/

I played on Ash55's Lockout remake in Tempest and I have to say it didn't feel as bad as the maps on Forge World with the colours etc. Maybe people should try more remakes in Tempest but obviously it would require noble map pack which would limit the population.

Top Bottom