• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Blue Ninja said:
I'll just borrow this...

it's true. I played Score Attack 2x on Unearthed and tried to play it like vanilla reach Score Attack - hide in the resupply room like a coward and try to pick off brutes as they run through the door.

DID NOT WORK. They're so aggressive, but there's enough cover that if you can stay mobile you'll be able to maintain the advantage. It's a great dynamic.

Can't wait to see how a full 4 player game plays.

ps, mad ups to Cruel Legacey for getting me a code over Twitter!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Emperor Bohe said:
How is the score calculated? I've finished the first level a few times, but my score is just getting progressively worse.
Quoting Wu:
Louis Wu said:
So the deal is, you get points for how long you've been flying. Let's say there's a straight segment that's long enough to give you 100 points, flying straight through the middle. If you fly in a serpentine manner, top to bottom, you might get 110 points for the same segment.

We maintained a high score list when this game was first released, but had to remove it because the server that was hosting HBO couldn't keep up with the database entries (it kept crashing). I've got 3500 entries or so saved, though, and so I went back and looked at the scores folks were getting then. The LOWEST high score on any level was 1865. The highest (on Level 1) was 1881. So you can do better than 1860. :)

Plywood said:
Wow that seems, uhm... really hard. I'm gonna give it a go every now and then, maybe win a code for another Gaffer.

Also just some more reminders:

http://twitter.com/VeroHime will be giving out codes, hasn't the past hour however Oozer did win the first one.

StickSkills is giving out 5 codes, you just have to tweet a message and post on there forums your GT and twitter.

Once again thank you to the person who gave me a code, you blessed bald person you.

edit: Hitmonchan is beasting it on the leaderboards, jeez wow.
NUUU, not you too. D:

I'm like the last person on GAF without a code.

JonCha

The Lamonster said:
Damn, every time I post about this it gets ignored! I can't find anything on the internet about this specific issue either. Yet there's a huge thread in Gaming about how a kid was banned from the Dragon Age 2 forums and now he can't play the game. I didn't even do anything to get banned and I still can't play my favorite console game with my friends and no one can help. FML.

Can you load their profile info (player model etc.)? If not, could be their connection.

oddworld18 said:
ps, mad ups to Cruel Legacey for getting me a code over Twitter!

Heh, I met Cruel Legacey this weekend at Pax. Great guy. I owe him a beer.

We were sitting in the hotel bar and saw Tim Schafer, CliffyB, and a couple G4 people. Good times.

JonCha said:
Can you load their profile info (player model etc.)? If not, could be their connection.
Nope. But I can see their Service Records.

And I'm sure it's me. We all reset our modems and it still doesn't let me play with them...ever.

squidhands said:
No you're not.
Shhh, if they all think I'm the last one I may get a pity code. ;)

How frequently should I be F5ing that Twitter page? I don't have an account and Plywood said that it only locks out your account?

The Lamonster said:
Nope. But I can see their Service Records.

And I'm sure it's me. We all reset our modems and it still doesn't let me play with them...ever.
Can you at least get them into an xbox live party, or private chat even? Can you connect to them in anything outside of Reach?

The Lamonster said:
Damn, every time I post about this it gets ignored! I can't find anything on the internet about this specific issue either. Yet there's a huge thread in Gaming about how a kid was banned from the Dragon Age 2 forums and now he can't play the game. I didn't even do anything to get banned and I still can't play my favorite console game with my friends and no one can help. FML.
I think no one answers because it's a tough issue.

If all of your routers are open NAT, I don't really know what else could be the issue. I suggest your friends each go out and buy a new router, and try it. If it works, then voila. If not, return them. No harm, no foul, and worth a shot.

My friend had problems with XBL for awhile, and bought a new router a while later, and all the 'problems with XBL' vanished because they were a faulty router.

Account Attempt #4 said:
Can you at least get them into an xbox live party, or private chat even? Can you connect to them in anything outside of Reach?
I will have to try that or see if a different game works. It just sucks because they are pretty much out of patience with me and probably aren't willing to troubleshoot much further. I'll report back when I find out more.

NameGenerated said:
I hate 3v3 in Team Slayer so much, especially when my 2 teammates quit immediately. Is it so hard to find 2 more players?
It wasn't part of the core experience of Halo to do that, so why bother in Reach.

"If it wasn't broken, don't fix it."

GhaleonEB

I know all the chatter today is about the new maps, but I just finished up the latest entry in the Forging Ahead blog, going over the rebuild of Sandybridge into Crossfire and thought I'd pass it on here. This was the map we tested in GAF customs this weekend, where there were a few comments from people that the layout was somewhat confusing. At the end of the article there's a top-down view of the entire map, which should hopefully clarify the intended flow (as well as the article itself).

Next up: details.

zlatko

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
I can't believe I signed up for twitter just to potentially get a code here. -_-

Surprised it took you this long to sign up for it just for that purpose. :p It's all I ever use my twitter for is to try and win stuff.

Karl2177

vicdeleon
I'll be asking the question at the top of the hour, 2pm PST, 5pm EST so relax for a bit and give your browsers a break.
There's going to be a mass of people by then. Just waiting until the Reach forum hears about this.

Barrow Roll said:
I can't believe I signed up for twitter just to potentially get a code here. -_-

I signed up just to keep track of events at Pax, although now half the people I follow are in the Halo community.

If I hadn't created a Twitter account I may not have had such amazing help from Hypertrooper in finding a teammate for the Reach tournament.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
I know all the chatter today is about the new maps, but I just finished up the latest entry in the Forging Ahead blog, going over the rebuild of Sandybridge into Crossfire and thought I'd pass it on here. This was the map we tested in GAF customs this weekend, where there were a few comments from people that the layout was somewhat confusing. At the end of the article there's a top-down view of the entire map, which should hopefully clarify the intended flow (as well as the article itself).

I don't know if you're looking for anything like this, but I've been saving each iteration of Watershed as I make revisions. I can explain why I made the changes that I did, how I set up spawning, and how I did everything that I've done so far. It's close to being ready to submit to cartographers btw. Just a couple more playtests.

zlatko said:
Surprised it took you this long to sign up for it just for that purpose. :p It's all I ever use my twitter for is to try and win stuff.
This is the only time I've ever actually been around the computer when an imminent code giveaway is happening. Not mention that I'm pretty oblivious to this whole Twitter thing so I thought he was just gonna start posting codes which I wouldn't need an account for but apparently we're gonna have to answer questions. :I

zlatko

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
This is the only time I've ever actually been around the computer when an imminent code giveaway is happening. Not mention that I'm pretty oblivious to this whole Twitter thing so I thought he was just gonna start posting codes which I wouldn't need an account for but apparently we're gonna have to answer questions. :I

Be thankful it's questions. You have a MUCH higher chance then him just posting the code as a tweet. Damn near impossible for a non robot to beat the people cheating to win. :(

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Major Williams said:
It wasn't part of the core experience of Halo to do that, so why bother in Reach.

"If it wasn't broken, don't fix it."
It's not part of the core experience to find a full game?

zlatko said:
Be thankful it's questions. You have a MUCH higher chance then him just posting the code as a tweet. Damn near impossible for a non robot to beat the people cheating to win. :(

Ken Jennings begs to differ.

Clearly, IBM created Watson just to win DLC codes.

Toddler

Barrow Roll said:
Don't waste your time. If griffballhubs "contest" was any indication of how these things work, they'll just be giving their buddies a heads up on the questions and when to answer them.

So is that going to be in about 5 minuites time then? I dont know americano timings.

I feel like ive spent the whole weekend scrounging for map pack codes lol.
@(

GhaleonEB said:

Good read. What a difference between start and finish.

just a ...random... question:

in an ideal world, if there had to be some sort of random element involved in who gets a Defiant code, what do you guys feel the "fairest" way to do it is? First-come-first serve (in a way that precludes twitter scripts, for instance)? Trivia? Random drawing? Some sort of skill competition?

We've gotten a little bit of everything so far, and i know the internet loves to bitch, but i'm just curious what people expect from something like this?

zlatko

Banned
Karl2177 said:
Either I just hit the refresh limit on vic's twitter or it went down. I'm even on multiple accounts trying to refresh it...

Refresh limit. Now you can't do shit on twitter for like an hour.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Toddler said:
Or you could just start a Halo blog like everyone else did....

Forward Unto Dawn did not ask for, nor receive, any Defiant codes. Nobody that writes for the site does so on the expectation of receiving any special or additional benefits, codes, money, action figures, stickers or signed copies of candid photo's of Frankie circa 2001.

In fact, I don't know a single person that received a code based solely on the fact they run a Halo site or blog outside of the major Halo communities such as HBO, Griffball Hub, etc.

Please don't direct your ire towards your fellow fans. =)

Toddler

Dani said:
Forward Unto Dawn did not ask for, nor receive, any Defiant codes. Nobody that writes for the site does so on the expectation of receiving any special or additional benefits, codes, money, action figures, stickers or signed copies of candid photo's of Frankie circa 2001.

In fact, I don't know a single person that received a code based solely on the fact they run a Halo site or blog outside of the major Halo communities such as HBO, Griffball Hub, etc.

Please don't direct your ire towards your fellow fans. =)
Wait.... you got candid photos of Frankie?

How do I start one of these blog thingys?

CyReN

TWO PART QUESTION: 1) What year did I. redivivus enter our galaxy? 2) name five versions of it that did NOT appear in any of the games.

Really...

Top Bottom