• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Gui_PT said:
My god, people only vote for rocket fight on ff matchmaking :lol
And if not Rocketfight, it's Sniperfight (AKA fuelrodfight). I can't remember the last time I played vanilla FF in MM.

electricpirate said:
Heh, you guys are saying opposite things :lol

(I like the DMR better, feels stronger to me ;) )

I'm curious as to what other people think of the DMR vs NR argument. I barely ever see people with the NR, but that doesn't particularly mean much.

BlueScrote said:
I'm curious as to what other people think of the DMR vs NR argument. I barely ever see people with the NR, but that doesn't particularly mean much.

I think with standard settings, the times to kill are pretty similar, but the NR projectiles have travel time. They move pretty damn fast though, I don't have trouble pinging people across the width of Hemorage with it. The Bloom is also less severe, on paper it seems like the superior weapon. But when I have it in my hands it just kind of feels weak, I think in large part because of the sound effects.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
BlueScrote said:
I was actually wondering about this last night. What reason is there to start with the NR instead of the DMR? The DMR breaks shields quicker with less shots and the any decent 'precision' battle ends with a headshot so the 3-shot supercombine doesn't come into effect.

The needle rifle blooms less, and fires faster which might negate the one less bullet from the DMR.

Also, Electric, I'm pretty sure it's also hitscan.

Alienshogun said:
The needle rifle blooms less, and fires faster which might negate the one less bullet from the DMR.

Early info stated that it had a travel time, but that may have changed, I'm not positive. If it does have travel time, it's damn fast though, faster than the H:CE pistol and WAY faster than the h3 BR.

Clip is huge in the needler too.

Keep both its faster to switch weapons than to reload, if you think quick.

Yup, I try to always keep a secondary. Though normally I just get out DMR'd before i can use it :lol

Alienshogun said:

Interesting. I'll have to try using it as my loadout in a couple games tonight. Maybe the faster firing rate+less bloom will make panic-spamming when I get caught off guard more useful.

I'm not sure its exactly more accurate. I dunno if this is right but isn't the crosshair a box for the NR instead of a circle potentially making more area a chance of hitting but also more chance of missing if you're at spam level?

Interesting, FyreWulf pointed this out at HBO,

http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/381070/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=53717247&postRepeater1-p=1

Looks like Bungie is looking at fixing gametype related bugs, or adding new gametype related features. This is unrelated to a full Title update, more like updated game types you would DL through bungie's fileshare, or after you play them in matchmaking. Kind of like Rocket race now.

Not elegant, but they seem to be fixing some major issues (KOTH hill order, I'm looking at you.)

Hey You

electricpirate said:

http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/381070/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=53717247&postRepeater1-p=1

Looks like Bungie is looking at fixing gametype related bugs, or adding new features. This is probably unrelated to a full Title update, more like updated game types you would DL through bungie's fileshare, or after you play them in matchmaking.

Not elegant, but they seem to be fixing some major issues (KOTH hill order, I'm looking at you.)

Edit: You guys have to be a member of Jonny's Forgeworld Group.

I wish more gametypes were up for discussion. I have some infected requests waiting.

Edit 2: Nvm I see that more gametypes will be up for discussion down the road :)

electricpirate said:

Looks like Bungie is looking at fixing gametype related bugs, or adding new features. This is probably unrelated to a full Title update, more like updated game types you would DL through bungie's fileshare, or after you play them in matchmaking.

I wonder if Bungie can fix the scoreboard glitch without a title update. You know the one I'm talking about: it says you have more/less kills than you actually have.

Hey You said:
Is that meant to be linked to a Bungie.net private group thread? If so, could you post the contents of the thread here? We have to be a member of the group to see that thread.

Durrr, sorry, Here's the initial post, I'm not going to copy out all the suggestions, so go join up if you want to see them.

Here's the basic gist, Please read this post very carefully.

I'm looking for bugs/problems/shortcomings/feature requests in the following gametypes:
KOTH
Territories
Juggernaut
CTF
Oddball
Slayer

Please limit your responses to THESE GAMETYPES ONLY.

For example (and you don't need to post these):
-"in order" movement option in KOTH is still random
-can't customize the weapon given to the juggernaut
-can't separate flag spawn and flag capture point in CTF

Disclaimer:
I can't make a guarantee that anything will come of this. But if all goes to plan the result should be pretty cool.

So, no zombies/Alpha zombie request yet, but he mentions later in the thread that they are looking at doing other gametypes soon.

It's in the ForgeWorld group if you want to join up. http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/381070/Forums/topics.aspx?forumID=387919

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
electricpirate said:

Holy shit, they are listening!

I'm posting what I posted in here about Armor lock.

xxjuicesxx said:
Everyone get over there and request nobloom options and noscoping options !!! :D

and a Mercs slayer/objective 4v4 playlist!

Heh, I'm pretty sure those are COMPLETELY out of scope there ;).

Alienshogun said:

And so is this.

Seriously though guys, don't go and add a bunch of unrelated stuff. The more focussed the discussion, the easier it will be to get the gametype issues fixed.

Things unrelated to gametypes:

Movement speed
Bloom
Matchmaking settings
Armour ability core function (though options for how AA and objectives interact would be fair game)

Just keep your sandbox issues to other threads.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
xxjuicesxx said:
I'm not sure its exactly more accurate. I dunno if this is right but isn't the crosshair a box for the NR instead of a circle potentially making more area a chance of hitting but also more chance of missing if you're at spam level?

It's definitely more accurate, the circle on the inside is tighter, and it blooms much less.

electricpirate said:
Heh, I'm pretty sure those are COMPLETELY out of scope there ;).

And so is this.

Seriously though guys, don't go and add a bunch of unrelated stuff. The more focussed the discussion, the easier it will be to get the gametype issues fixed.

Things unrelated to gametypes

Movement speed
Bloom
Armour ability core function (though options for how AA and objectives interact would be fair game)

Just keep your sandbox issues to other threads.

It's not unrelated, it's an issue with those game types. Armor lock breaks infantry combat, which is a part of all of those game types.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Alienshogun said:

Did you just completely ignore JonnyOThan's specific request in the OP of that thread and post a list of things you hate about and want fixed with Armour Lock? Jebus.

JonnyOThan said:
I'm looking for bugs/problems/shortcomings/feature requests in the following gametypes:
KOTH
Territories
Juggernaut
CTF
Oddball
Slayer

Please limit your responses to THESE GAMETYPES ONLY.

Alienshogun said:
Armor lock removed from all playlists except BTB variants.

As for all variants that have Armor lock;

Relegate Armor lock to an AA that blocks explosions and impact, not an AA that inherently breaks infantry combat.

1. Armor lock changed to allow bullets (projectiles) to pierce it.

2. Have Armor lock disengaged with EMP.

3. Do not allow an Armor locker to look around or change direction while in lock, also do not allow them to come out, keep them in for the full duration.

4. Still allow Armor lock to deflect rockets, explosions, and vehicles, but keep bullet/needle/sword damage in to facilitate the integrity of infantry combat.

Other AA changes.

1. Allow EMP to completely drain AA power.
2. Getting shot from the front while sprinting disables sprint.

Gameplay changes.

Add a "no party" playlist for all these varints so people going into the hopper alone aren't matched up against teams time and time again.

:lol

but, but its related to the slayer gametype or objective gametype! and its a glitch because they forgot about adding it in when its an awesome option!

ha i dunno.

Alienshogun said:
It's not unrelated, it's an issue with those game types. Armor lock breaks infantry combat, which is a part of all of those game types.

Would it be more specific to say, "Related to gametype settings" instead?

He pretty expclicity says that he doesn't have the power to change sandbox issues in the thread, just issues with gametype scripting and UIs.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dani said:
Did you just completely ignore JonnyOThan's specific request in the OP of that thread and post a list of things you hate about and want fixed with Armour Lock? Jebus.

:lol

No, he wanted issues that effect those game types, Armor lock effects them, especially slayer.

electricpirate said:
Would it be more specific to say, "Related to gametype settings" instead?

He pretty expclicity says that he doesn't have the power to change sandbox issues in the thread, just issues with gametype scripting and UIs.

Meh, then he will just ignore it, and I will keep fighting the good fight.

xxjuicesxx said:
but, but its related to the slayer gametype or objective gametype! and its a glitch because they forgot about adding it in when its an awesome option!

ha i dunno.

Did previous Halo's have a no-scope only option? If so I'd say the noscope slayer request would be fair game.

GhaleonEB

IIRC, Jonny doesn't work on the armor ability balancing, he worked on the game type design and game type engines. Which is why he asked for things that affect the game types, and set up the group describing how the game types and spawning systems work.

My only suggestion was a flag stolen indicator on the HUD, and Dani got that one in.

GhaleonEB said:
IIRC, Jonny doesn't work on the armor ability balancing, he worked on the game type design and game type engines. Which is why he asked for things that affect the game types, and set up the group describing how the game types and spawning systems work.

My only suggestion was a flag stolen indicator on the HUD, and Dani got that one in.

This is what is keeping me excited about Halo these days: the new maps and the refinement of the experience as it currently exists. I just hope that when Bungie changes the game for the better (as they are obviously doing) that word gets out and players come back. If only so that their hard work is rewarded and other companies will take note.

Can I also say again how much I enjoy the new maps? Anchor 9 has really surprised me. During the previews on Bungie.net I was least excited about it, but playing it is great. Even when my team is getting crushed I enjoy the map. Messing around in space is way more fun than it should be.

BlueScrote said:
Depends.

Medium range, NR is superior simply because you can hold the trigger and the bloom is much more forgiving. And it's not really too superior to begin with.

However, at long range, the DMR is superior. When 1 bullet hits, it's far more devastating than 1 needle rifle hit (25% of shield vs ~17% ). So in team games on wide open maps, I use DMR to help out teammates who are far. Even 1 DMR bullet can help turn the tide of a battle.

Arnie

Played so much MLG today, my Reach fire has been reignited.

One thing that is bothering me though is why everyone clamors to play Slayer on Sanctuary, I'm a fan of both the map and the gametype but at the rate it's being picked I would've thought people would at least want to try something else.

I want Anchor 9 in the playlist though, Multi Flag CTF will play like a dream.

Wish there was some consensus in the challenges.

Yesterday we had 250 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking for 2500cR.

Today we have 400 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking for 2000cR.

:/

Arnie

I just wish they would give me some multiplayer challenges. Honestly the input lag in Firefight has pretty much killed all of the excitement I had for the mode, that and the lack of decent achievements which force my friends to want to play too.

What's up with the performance bonus also? I can get 20 kills in a game of slayer and still only get +55. How is that an incentive to do well. I think Bungie should double the credit gain for the winning team, that way everyone has an incentive to win the game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shake Appeal said:
Stop being annoying.

How is it being annoying? That isn't my intent at all, he asked for problems with game play in those playlists, Armor lock is a problem with game play in those play lists especially slayer, just like Dropshield is a problem in some of those play lists like CTF and Oddball.

Grimm Fandango said:
The spinning Wraith one was surprising. Or at least I've never seen it before.

It was a map glitch, just like the ones that plague Ghaleon and his otherwise kick ass maps.

wow.. Halo on your own is the worst thing ever.

Idiot teamates that just camp behind our base with the sniper rifle all game... It's infuriating.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Grimm Fandango said:

Just came to post this. lolwat indeed.

Miggytronz

Arnie said:
I just wish they would give me some multiplayer challenges. Honestly the input lag in Firefight has pretty much killed all of the excitement I had for the mode, that and the lack of decent achievements which force my friends to want to play too.

What's up with the performance bonus also? I can get 20 kills in a game of slayer and still only get +55. How is that an incentive to do well. I think Bungie should double the credit gain for the winning team, that way everyone has an incentive to win the game.

lemme see your BNET account.

aesop

Alienshogun said:
How is it being annoying? That isn't my intent at all, he asked for problems with game play in those playlists, Armor lock is a problem with game play in those play lists especially slayer, just like Dropshield is a problem in some of those play lists like CTF and Oddball.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Your anti armor lock crusades are getting rather tiresome, though. I'm fairly certain that's what he's referring to as annoying.

Major Williams said:
Depends.

Medium range, NR is superior simply because you can hold the trigger and the bloom is much more forgiving. And it's not really too superior to begin with.

However, at long range, the DMR is superior. When 1 bullet hits, it's far more devastating than 1 needle rifle hit (25% of shield vs ~17% ). So in team games on wide open maps, I use DMR to help out teammates who are far. Even 1 DMR bullet can help turn the tide of a battle.

Ditto here. For Slayer Pro games I take the needle rifle loadout only because if I win my first encounter with a DMR dude I then get a secondary and a total of 4 grenades to work with until I am inevitably sprint, punch, punched to death.

If I had to choose just one to play with for the rest of time it would be DMR all the way.

electricpirate said:
Like all of these IGN videos, 9 pointless/plebian kills, and one awesome one.

In this case, A wartog doing Guile's flash kick to an armor locker :lol

http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/12/09/halo-reach-top-10-kills-120810

And almost half of those involved Armor Lock in one way. :/

Though the wraith kill was awesome, and the backflip was decent.

aesop said:

Your anti armor lock crusades are getting rather tiresome, though. I'm fairly certain that's what he's referring to as annoying.

Man speaks the truth though, something needs to get done eventually.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
aesop said:

Yeah, just like dropshield in objective games is "just an opinion."

People are going to hate armor lock, and there will be those who like it, the more vocal one side is over the other could facilitate changes, or lack of changes.

Armor lock does not belong anywhere but in vehicle games in it's current form, and even then it breaks infantry confrontations, and exponentially so as more people on the team use it.

Just because YOU don't like my opinion doesn't make it wrong, and doesn't mean those with issues with the game should be silent.

But hey, at least quitters aren't Reach's biggest issue anymore. :lol

aesop

Alienshogun said:
Yeah, just like dropshield in objective games is "just an opinion."

People are going to hate armor lock, and there will be those who like it, the more vocal one side is over the other could facilitate changes, or lack of changes.

Being the loudest doesn't make you right.

Armor lock does not belong anywhere but in vehicle games in it's current form, and even then it breaks infantry confrontations, and exponentially so as more people on the team use it.

Again, your opinion.

Just because YOU don't like my opinion doesn't make it wrong, and doesn't mean those with issues with the game should be silent.

You know what, you've stated your feelings on armor lock in here almost every day for the past couple weeks. It's getting old. We get it. You don't like it. Can we please, for the love of God, talk about something else.

GhaleonEB

Grimm Fandango said:

Yeah that's weird. I saw the 400 and was like, 4,000 cR, woo! But it's worth less than yesterday's which was 150 kills fewer.

Still, Firefight Challenges means I get lots of cR today. Colonel Ghaleon has a nice ring to it. :D

I spent my epic haul of riches on a shoulder pad. (I would link to my b.net profile here, but um....)

CrazedArabMan said:
Man speaks the truth though, something needs to get done eventually.

I've got no issue with the armour lock discussion, Just do it through the right channels. Don't add it to an unrelated (and yes it is unrelated as per JonnyO's initial description, and his following posts as to what he could accomplish.), thread that is actually helping to fix other issues. It's just going to make it harder for the Gametype team to go through and fix other legitimate isues.

It's like Port
pot
begging, it's a distraction from the main event.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
electricpirate said:
I've got no issue with the armour lock discussion, Just do it through the right channels. Don't add it to an unrelated (and yes it is unrelated as per JonnyO's initial description, and his following posts as to what he could accomplish.), thread that is actually helping to fix other issues. It's just going to make it harder for the Gametype team to go through and fix other legitimate isues.

It's like Port
pot
begging,

Yeah, I may have (probably did) misunderstand what he really wanted, so because I see AL as a gameplay issue in those playlists (just like dropshield) it will lead to information he didn't want, and like I said, he will just ignore it or forward it to where it needs to go.

Mountain out of a mole hill and such.

Is there a forum in which to address the issue? Because I have not seen one.

Top Bottom