• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Detox

Tashi0106 said:
Yes I play in HD and capture/stream in SD. You'd like to know my setup? Here, I'll break it down for you...

I'm playing on a 1680x1050 22inch Acer Monitor. It is connected to my Xbox through VGA. The VGA cable goes into a VGA converter that I purchased (~25$ on Monoprice) The VGA converter is pretty awesome except for one problem, I'll get to that problem later. It takes in the VGA signal from the Xbox and puts out another VGA signal(to my monitor) and either an S-video or RCA video (I use S-Video) which goes directly to my capture card. My capture card is a Dazzle 90 (<3 Juices) and at the time only worked on XP machines but I believe the drivers have been updated to support Vista. I'm not 100% sure. So, the one problem with the VGA converter is that it doesn't support the output resolution for my monitor(1680x1050) I have to play at a lower resolution. I'm forgetting it right now but I believe it's around 1280X720. I could be wrong. I haven't checked/changed it in a while.

I don't think I've missed anything. Hope that helped.

Awesome. Thanks a lot.

The Real Napsta said:
"Items that fit the bill include pre-order bonus or retailer exclusive armor, map packs, or your Bungie Pro confirmation."

Sounds like we need a title update.

Sounds like all that Rainbow Armor hidden in the map files made the Recon helmets and Flaming Armor mad.

EDIT: FYI, the lovely @alisonst is giving away Defiant codes on twitter RIGHT NOW.

The Real Napsta said:
"A: Turns out that there's currently a technical issue tied to the number of Marketplace Content items you can have active for Halo: Reach at any one given time (this does not include Saved Games, Screenshots, or Saved Films). Right now, you can only have a total of three content items simultaneously active. Items that fit the bill include pre-order bonus or retailer exclusive armor, map packs, or your Bungie Pro confirmation."

Sounds like we need a title update.

I've got...

Gamestop Armor and Day 1 Armor
Legendary Flame/Armor Package
Noble Map Pack.

Sounds like I'm screwed.

The Real Napsta said:
"A: Turns out that there's currently a technical issue tied to the number of Marketplace Content items you can have active for Halo: Reach at any one given time (this does not include Saved Games, Screenshots, or Saved Films). Right now, you can only have a total of three content items simultaneously active. Items that fit the bill include pre-order bonus or retailer exclusive armor, map packs, or your Bungie Pro confirmation."]
Wat? Then more map packs cannot happen until this is addressed. Very strange arrangement indeed.

Ramirez

That Highlands game was really fun, people were doing some hardcore camping at both bases though, I'M LOOKING AT YOU EAZYB!

Also, Omlet check your FB plz.

Genesis Knight said:
I've got...

Noble Map Pack.

Sounds like I'm screwed.

I have all three of those things, and Bungie Pro. I turned out JUST FINE. No problems here.

Genesis Knight said:
I've got...

Noble Map Pack.

Sounds like I'm screwed.

Delete the first two, you can redownload them later when the bug is fixed. Just means you'll have to scroll further back in your Download history.

Looks like @VeroHime and @DavidEllis are giving away Defiant codes on Twitter now as well. Get on there, GAF beggars!

GhaleonEB

I have the Reach Beta t-shirt, Noble 6 helmet, Bungie Pro confirmation, Legendary DLC (not enabled), Noble map pack and the Defiant map pack. And I've been able to play on the maps just fine. I just re-downloaded the Defiant maps and they show up in the custom games list.

My saved films from earlier can't be loaded to file share, though. I can view them just fine, however.

Falagard

GhaleonEB said:
I have the Reach Beta t-shirt, Noble 6 helmet, Bungie Pro confirmation, Legendary DLC (not enabled), Noble map pack and the Defiant map pack. And I've been able to play on the maps just fine. I just re-downloaded the Defiant maps and they show up in the custom games list.

There's a special exception in the code just for you, Ghaleon.

Code:
int maxContentItems = 3;

int yourContentItems = getNumberOfContentItems();
int yourGamerTag = getGamerTag();

if(yourGamerTag == 'GhaleonEB')
{
  //allow more than 3 items for Ghaleon
  maxContentItems = 9999;
}

if(yourContentItems > maxContentItems)
{
  //execute epic fail function
  epicFail();
}

Falagard said:
Code:
{
  maxContentItems = 9999;
}

So you're assuming 343i will only release 9995 more map packs? I figured they probably have a couple thousand new Foregeworld themes... Covenant, Flood, Covenant with a slightly lighter shade of purple, Human, etc.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I really wish there were vehicles on the map that could be fully utilized with one player. Like a Revenant, a tank (tee hee), a Wraith, etc. I play most of my FF in Score Attack.
I hate to twist the dagger even more, but imagine if there was a Chopper on the map. It's smaller and more dangerous than Lost Platoon and would be harder to set up camp with it, but those hills just call for the thing.

The Ghost was quite fun to use on it. I had a game with Nutter and Dani where they were in the Hog and I in a Ghost and we just tore the place up for a while. Great fun.

I hope there's going to be a Grab Bag playlist with just Unearthed in it so I can get some 4-player action going.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Falagard said:

Code:
int maxContentItems = 3;

{
  maxContentItems = 9999;
}

{
  epicFail();
}
Bravo.

KevinRo

Falagard said:

Code:
int maxContentItems = 3;

{
  maxContentItems = 9999;
}

{
  epicFail();
}

Make your CONST capital noob.

Great article, Ghaleon. I'm soooo looking forward to playing Unearthed tonight. Please feel free to hit me up if you see me on.

Tashi0106 said:
MLG did an interview with the 2 fellas who created Nexus and Element. They are the original maps MLG will be using on the Pro Circuit for v3 made in Forge. I haven't read the article yet but there might be some interesting stuff to read for all you Forge guys.

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/mlg-interviews-forgers-of-pro-circuits-community-maps/

edit: LOLOL Falagard.
Nexus is an awesome map. Happy to hear that it got some love from MLG. Still have yet to play on that newest version of Element, but in my forge book, Pulsekiller can do no wrong. Bravo, guys.

Grabbing Defiant later today, will be good to get back into Reach.
Love classic settings and last customs was an absolute blast. They tipped the scales in favour of returning. :D

KevinRo said:
Make your CONST capital noob.
Hate to be the pedant here... but there are no constants.

Unearthed is a lot of fun!

Did they change the grenade physics in some way though? The end of the wave elites were throwing some INSANE fastballs. I'm not sure if that was some kind of MM related glitch, or a feature of the match, but I think I got stuck 3-4 times in the final round, including one that took my final life before the end of the round :(.

GhaleonEB

electricpirate said:
Unearthed is a lot of fun!

Did they change the grenade physics in some way though? The end of the wave elites were throwing some INSANE fastballs. I'm not sure if that was some kind of MM related glitch, or a feature of the match, but I think I got stuck 3-4 times in the final round, including one that took my final life before the end of the round :(.
The non-camo Elite Generals and Ultras practically teleport grenades from their hand to your face. It's not just on Unearthed, but I find myself getting nailed more often there because I'm unable to funnel the Elites through a hallway and dodge the one they throw as soon as they see you. I just get pegged from all directions.

I played a normal game of Score Attack on it last night, and got chased by all six Elites at once around the map. I'm so used to kicking back and taking out one at a time, I didn't even know what to do other than run like a cowardly fool. Love it.

GhaleonEB said:
The non-camo Elite Generals and Ultras practically teleport grenades from their hand to your face. It's not just on Unearthed, but I find myself getting nailed more often there because I'm unable to funnel the Elites through a hallway and dodge the one they throw as soon as they see you. I just get pegged from all directions.

I played a normal game of Score Attack on it last night, and got chased by all six Elites at once around the map. I'm so used to kicking back and taking out one at a time, I didn't even know what to do other than run like a cowardly fool. Love it.

Yea, I don't play a ton of firefight so I guess I didn't notice.

I concur on the design creating challenge, it is a really hard map, just from it's architecture. I played a mythic game on cortyard, then a standard game on Unearthed, and I think I actually found unearthed to be more difficult, you really have to move a lot more, and take more risks, where i could mostly turtle up on courtyard and take relatively defensive positions.

Also worht a try, stand on one of the high points and watch when the skirmishers spawn, they must drop 15-20 of them and have them charge you at once, it's quite a sight
nightmare

Just kind of as an aside, I really love firefight, and I have so much fun when I play it, yet when I sit down to play Reach, it seems like I mostly just want to get into matchmaking and shoot some dudes. Weird how that works.

Spasm

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, I haven't been lurking as much as I used to... But Reach is now available from Games on Demand. In the Defiant Map Pack Spotlight, 2nd tile. $49.99, one week only.

Tempted to quadruple-dip, so I don't have to have the disc in the drive...

Edit: NM, Hey You already mentioned it. Doesn't seem like anyone's interested.

dc89

quoted straight from the defiant FAQ:

A: Turns out that there's currently a technical issue tied to the number of Marketplace Content items you can have active for Halo: Reach at any one given time (this does not include Saved Games, Screenshots, or Saved Films). Right now, you can only have a total of three content items simultaneously active. Items that fit the bill include pre-order bonus or retailer exclusive armor, map packs, or your Bungie Pro confirmation.

Microsoft is working on a long-term solution, but for now, you'll need to delete one of the three items you have active.

Not sure if that's true you know because I deleted the Noble Pack and my Defiant Pack still didn't work.

Do I delete my bonus content?

Not looking forward to telling my bro he'll have to clear up 200MBs of space on top of the 400 he managed to clear yesterday. It's entering the 'choose your least favourite pet to kill' scenario.

JonCha

Hm. The map pack is good - collectively - but that's about it. There's nothing that really impresses me. The maps generally play well, and are solid. Just there's little that's great about them.

Condemned: My least favourite of the map pack. Playing 4 vs 4 doesn't fit the map in my opinion; games have too many lulls, and the map seems almost circular resulting in players seemingly looking for each other for long periods of time. Even in 6 vs 6, this was still a problem.

Highlands: A personal favourite. Simple yet effective, and isn't actually as big as it appears. Interactions always seem to happen throughout the map (which is something I like to see games encourage), and CTF games especially are enjoyable.

Unearthed: I don't really dig Firefight, but this map plays well. I think this mode has benefited a lot from a vehicular pespective, which definitely adds something, but if the vehicle gets destroyed then this space can feel a little pointless at times. I guess that's the trade-off, though

dc89

Right.

I deleted my bonus content. So now I only have two Market place pieces of content installed and still I have no maps! Not in matchmaking or custom game.

This is just ridiculous. They were so not ready to launch these maps.

I think Condemned works okay for 4v4, there were a couple brief pauses during the tournament on Sunday, but I attribute that more to basic unfamiliarity of the map.

It's a surprisingly big map, but you can get almost anywhere very quickly if you cut through the central room. I personally like maps that are large enough for you to hold a specific area without having enemies constantly spawning right around the corner.

Now when the 2nd round of the tournament was 4v4 on Highlands... that wasn't the most fun. Especially without knowing where the sniper spawned. But they wanted to show off all of the maps and made sure the rest of the rounds were back on Condemned, so all was forgiven.

Repgnar

I had the Defiant map pack problem last night but managed to keep all my armor downloads and the two map packs. I ended up deleting the corrupted Defiant map download then deleted the Noble Map pack I had. I started the Defiant pack up first and the map pack download went up to 600 and something MB from 483 MB and worked fine. After that I redownloaded the Noble pack and was fine. Haven't hopped online today but last night both were working. I'm guessing it's just hit or miss and somehow I moved into the lucky ones who don't have to worry about the Reach limit.

dc89 said:
Not sure if that's true you know because I deleted the Noble Pack and my Defiant Pack still didn't work.

Do I delete my bonus content?
dc89, I had the problem pre-release and deleting Noble did squat. It wasnt' until I moved my pre-order content and the Bungie Pro, basically anything tagged 'Marketplace content', then it worked fine. Again Noble and Defiant both work fine.

dc89 said:
Right.

I deleted my bonus content. So now I only have two Market place pieces of content installed and still I have no maps! Not in matchmaking or custom game.

This is just ridiculous. They were so not ready to launch these maps.

Yeah, pretty rough rollout even considering it was handled by several studios. Hope it works for me in a few hours!

A27 Tawpgun said:
1 Small arena.
1 really good large scale BTB
New forge world.

Believe.

High Ground
Waterworks
Human-themed Forgeworld (Turf default) with very basic textures that completely change the look/color of each peice. Not just slight lighting changes.

Dream on.

dc89

Account Attempt #4 said:
dc89, I had the problem pre-release and deleting Noble did squat. It wasnt' until I moved my pre-order content and the Bungie Pro, basically anything tagged 'Marketplace content', then it worked fine. Again Noble and Defiant both work fine.

I've deleted my pre-order content.

I'm not a bungie pro member. Are you suggesting I delete my local files?

xxjuicesxx said:
Ordered the Onza Razer controller today after I found out about my ridiculous tax return coming. Apparently demand is higher than all the preorders so they are filling orders at Amazon by date. It says a 2-3 week wait at the moment but I suspects it will be a month or so.

Anyone looking to get one might want to go ahead and order it now.
I was hoping to be able to wait for reviews but if this is the case then I may have to jump on that.

dc89 said:
I've deleted my pre-order content.

I'm not a bungie pro member. Are you suggesting I delete my local files?
First off, sorry you're having so much trouble :(
Let me restate: I moved all Reach related "Marketplace content", aside from the Noble Pack, to my internal MU. Then cleared the cache on the HD, re-DL'd the Defiant pack and it finally worked. Again, this was with a pre-release code. If this doesn't work for you perhaps it's time to call it in?
Edit: Also there's this...

Hey You said:

Striker

Ramirez said:
Hopefully next map pack focuses on small arena maps.
Beaver Creek

Believe&#0153;

Really hoping we get a forge world again sooner rather than later. Urban themed. In the basic elements, roll out Turf, Headlong, and Terminal. Make better appropriate spaces for building larger scale maps, etc.

Top Bottom