• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Ramirez

Is there any chance of the Defiant playlist getting upped to 8v8? I realize it would make Anchor 9 and possibly Condemned feel overcrowded, but Highlands is a complete snooze fest with 6v6. Or heck, just make a BTB DLC playlist and put Tempest, BP, and HL in it.

xxjuicesxx said:
But you missed how it would actually work and a bunch of my follow ups points, especially regarding map size.

Theres absolutely no playlist that would have both Team Slayer and Team Snipes, AND Headhunter, and Countdown WITH PARADISO. Is this a BTB playlist you are thinking of?

A better scenario would be Team Slayer

X Midship
Y Turf

A Slayer
B Slayer DMRS

And you could lock in X and B (obvy) and whichever of the two had the most votes would be picked. You'd get exact data on whether or not people loved Midship over Turf or Turf over Midship.
Yeah, I was thinking of a BTB playlist.
Regardless, I would rather have the option of voting for:
Slayer on Midship
Slayer on Turf
Slayer DMRs on Midship
Slayer DMRs on Turf

And wouldn't the best thing be a system where you rank the options from Least Desired (1) to Most Desired (5):
1 - Slayer on Midship
2 - Slayer on Turf
5 - Slayer DMRs on Midship (So I want to play this the most)
4 - Slayer DMRs on Turf
3 - None of the Above

And say the other players vote accordingly:
4 - 1 - 3 - Slayer on Midship (Total: 9)
3 - 2 - 2 - Slayer on Turf (Total: 9)
5 - 3 - 4 - Slayer DMRs on Midship (Total: 17) WINNER
1 - 4 - 5 - Slayer DMRs on Turf (Total: 14)
2 - 5 - 1 - None of the Above (Total: 11)

Any BTB fans want to come check out the final version of my BTB map? I believe it's been submitted to the Cartographer's group, so you may all end up playing it. :)

Ramirez said:
Is there any chance of the Defiant playlist getting upped to 8v8? I realize it would make Anchor 9 and possibly Condemned feel overcrowded, but Highlands is a complete snooze fest with 6v6. Or heck, just make a BTB DLC playlist and put Tempest, BP, and HL in it.

A BTB DLC playlist would be a great idea, I would actually like to play Tempest and HL on more than the odd occasion lol.

What is Uplink by the way? I still havent played it.

Ramirez

As for voting, I still wish it was set to where your vote is locked once it's cast, and you are the only one that can see what you voted for. It's so annoying when people just scroll through all the options and something terrible ends up getting picked due to trolling.

Striker

Ramirez said:
Create a general 4v4/5v5 DLC playlist that includes Anchor 9, Condemned, and Tempest.

- add Team Slayer, Multi-CTF, Neutral Bomb, Multi-Bomb, 3 Plots

... too much sense, I guess.

A DLC BTB playlist could be, as follow:

Breakpoint: Team Slayer, 1-flag, 1-bomb
Tempest: Team Slayer, Multi-CTF, Multi-Bomb, Neutral Bomb, 1-flag
Highlands: Team Slayer, Multi-CTF, Multi-Bomb, Neutral Bomb, 1-flag

But who am I kidding, we'll get Headhunter, Stockpile, and Bro Slayer.

Ramirez said:
As for voting, I still wish it was set to where your vote is locked once it's cast, and you are the only one that can see what you voted for. It's so annoying when people just scroll through all the options and something terrible ends up getting picked due to trolling.

A. The number of times that trolling has happened.

B. The number of times that I see my lone vote being wasted and change it to keep an undesireable gametype/map from being picked.

A > B

Now in my example above where I rank things 5->1, that would work with locking votes in.

I feel like thats way too many choices to make before getting into a game. Sorting out five things by preference. My way its just two buttons you press quickly. How would it work quickly and intuitively?

I'm not saying its a bad idea, essentially it gives the same results to the players (they don't really even need to know the voting scores) but I guess it does give better detailed results back to Bungie on how much one won over the other numerically.

Ramirez

LoL, it's amazing to me how much everyone here can agree on such simple things like a DLC BTB playlist, or putting in good gametypes like CTF/Assault over garbage like Bro Slayer and Stockpile, and yet none of it ever comes to fruition.

This has to go so much deeper than the guy who gets labeled as a playlist manager, I really question how much power they have when the same boneheaded decisions persist for two games over a number of years.

I just find it baffling that anyone who playtested the maps using the settings that were going into matchmaking didn't notice how barren Highlands is in a 6v6 setting, sigh.

Hey You

NullPointer said:
Something I hope they're thinking seriously about for the next Halo. That along with custom matchmaking.
I've wanted this so badly since Halo 3, but I know that it would severely take away the population from the main playlists. Maybe within the next 2 years one can be added.

bobs99 ... said:
I'm wondering this as well.

Ramirez

Someone said the sword hallway is blocked in Uplink, and I noticed the Rockets are gone, other than that I dunno. I still haven't found the sword on Condemned, I never see anyone using it either.

Striker

Uplink is a variant of Condemned, I believe.

Custom MM/lobbies wouldn't take away the population from regular MM any differently than having so many damn playlists like we do now, and did in Halo 3.

xxjuicesxx said:
I feel like thats way too many choices to make before getting into a game. Sorting out five things by preference. My way its just two buttons you press quickly. How would it work quickly and intuitively?

I'm not saying its a bad idea, essentially it gives the same results to the players (they don't really even need to know the voting scores) but I guess it does give better detailed results back to Bungie on how much one won over the other numerically.

Easy: You have 6 points to distribute. Max of +2 or -2 for any gametype.

So when the maps first pop up:
__0__ - Slayer on Midship
__0__ - Slayer on Turf
__0__ - Slayer DMRs on Midship
__0__ - Slayer DMRs on Turf
__0__ - None of the Above

You highlight each option (^ v) and distribute your points (< >)
XX0__ - Slayer on Midship (-2 or "1 vote")
_X0__ - Slayer on Turf (-1 or "2 votes")
__0XX - Slayer DMRs on Midship (+2 or "5 votes")
__0X_ - Slayer DMRs on Turf (+1 or "4 votes")
__0__ - None of the Above (0 or "3 votes)

You wouldn't even have to use all of your points, so you could have two things tie. The +/-2 limit means you can't throw all 6 points on Slayer DMRs Midship.

Hey You

Bungie Foundations first act:

Ganbare Nippon - Japan Quake Relief 2011

Right now you will find a charity wristband for sale in the Bungie Store. All proceeds from the sale of these wristbands will be donated directly to aid and relief efforts that will desperately be needed in the days, weeks, and months ahead. In addition, we will donate all of the profits from all Bungie Store purchases until April 30th, 2011.

wristband.jpg

neclas

Ramirez said:
Someone said the sword hallway is blocked in Uplink, and I noticed the Rockets are gone, other than that I dunno. I still haven't found the sword on Condemned, I never see anyone using it either.
Because the sword hallway is blocked off, there are two one-way teleporters on the map. One entrance is in the Tram Station on the top floor (near the blocked doorway to the Observation Deck) and the other entrance is in the Repair Bay near another blocked door. Both teleporters take you to the opposite base.

equil

Ramirez said:

There's also a teleporter that takes you from one side of the map to the other.

It'd be real nice to have that Rocket Hog in Unearthed swapped out for a Ghost or Revenant (or Chopper, or a Mongoose with an assault rifle taped to the front) when played in Score Attack.

As it is, the Rocket Hog just sits there... mocking you.

feel

bobs99 ... said:
That version has the passage between two of the quadrants blocked, so you can't do full laps around the map like on Condemned (the extra walls are part of the map, not forge objects). It has sword in the middle low grav area instead of rockets and I think I saw some teleporters.

edit- oops, late

Hey You

Crucio said:
Shit, I'd get one if only their store worked in Canada.
I knew Bungie would promote this.
For wristbands, they will ship international. Just don't add any items to shopping cart that aren't the wristbands.

Crucio

Hey You said:
For wristbands, they will ship international. Just don't add any items to shopping cart that aren't the wristbands.
Lets hope, I'll give it a shot.

Shitty: "*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below. *** "

Hey You

Crucio said:
Lets hope, I'll give it a shot.
Note: Due to the nature of this item, we wanted to make sure we could ship internationally, but please be aware that you cannot add additional items to your cart when purchasing the wristband for international delivery.
Edit: Weird, you should be able to.

Ramirez said:

I think that would be a wise decision. Ironically, I feel it would be almost more beneficial for Condemend than Highlands. Condemned is a circle and I've had multiple times where I was running around one way and the other team seemed to be going in the same direction around the circle so it took too long to run into them.

I'm surprised by your Highlands comment though. While I certianly agree that 8vs8 would be better, I haven't encountered a snooze fest from the matches I played. Thanks to snipers and DMR starts, there were plenty of battling from distance but I also spent some time in vehicle battles and I can say I fought people in every area of the map every time. Were you just playing with GAF? I saw your earlier comment about Eazy camping so maybe all of you guys were playing really conservatively inside the bases?

Plus one to your comment on voting.

As to the sword on Condemned, haven't played enough to have it down to a science, but I believe if you hug the side of the map and run along the wall, it's in a side hallway halfway between the two 'bases'. I'm just not familar enough to say which side you run on based off of which team you're on.

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
Bought one for myself, and one youth band for each of my kids. We've been talking to them about the earthquake in Japan.
Hey You said:
My first game on Highlands, I literally spent at least 4 minutes if not more, walking around trying to find people.
Someone else made this comment, but I think Highlands is biting off more than it can chew. What I've noticed with both Condemned and Highlands is how busy the geometry is, which is a contrast from Bungie's generally cleaner feel. I'm not sure if it's better or worse yet, but it makes the maps feel a bit more cluttered to my eye. And in terms of player movement, there's quite a lot of space to Highlands. If players fan out around the less obvious routes, it can take a while to run into players.

But I've only played a few games on it yet, so I can't really judge it.

My one conclusion so far is that the use of teleporters was unwise, especailly given the placement of the shotgun. A big man cannon leap across the center would be more entertaining and funtional.

wwm0nkey

Thinking more about my Halo Creators Club idea, I also think it should come with the tools Bungie has to make custom games like they do (obviously people wouldn't be able to charge for custom games though)

Hey You said:
My first game on Highlands, I literally spent at least 4 minutes if not more, walking around trying to find people.

Did people quit out of your match? I had a match where 3 people quit and so neither team came close to the 100 kills to end the match but every other match I had, that wasn't an issue. If anything, my complaint on Highlands is that the Sniper seems to have too much control on the map. I think it's really a result of the respawn though as there were more snipers than there should have been.

O D I N

FourDoor said:
Ordered one.

This is a good opportunity for HaloGAF to pay it forward, being as lucky as we have been with receiving Halo codes from Bungie throughout the years...

Picked one up too.

Also took the opportunity to finally pick up the Reach soundtrack. I like when the proceeds go to a good cause.

Some cell phone companies are letting you charge donations to your phone bill through Red Cross.

Tawpgun

Ordered.

EDIT: So I finished the Winter Contigency challenge today.

And I was reminded at how TERRIBLY the covenant was introduced onto Reach. Probably my biggest disappointment with the campaign. The covenant didn't seem horrific enough. We only saw some bodies. It would have been much more meaningfull if we saw civillians getting killed, or if we had to make a military decision that would give us a chance at driving back the covenant but would mean sacrificing civilian lives.

Stuff like that. Did Bungie feel it was too controversial or something?

Also,

"The covenant is on Reach, I repeat, the covenant is on Reach"

SERIOUSLY? IN THAT MONOTONE VOICE? Goddamn, REALLY dropped the ball there.

GhaleonEB said:
My one conclusion so far is that the use of teleporters was unwise, especailly given the placement of the shotgun. A big man cannon leap across the center would be more entertaining and funtional.
Mancannons make everything more entertaining and more functional.

wwm0nkey said:
Ok here is a good idea I came up with during these mini-customs.

Halo Creators Club (similar to XNA creators club)

Subscription service for map creators
Make .map files for Halo games.

Membership cost $50 a year.

PC based tool lets you create detailed .map files for Halo Reach and sell them for either
$0.50, $1.00, or $2.00. The $2.00 option would require 2 or more maps with a memory cap of 150mb.

Microsoft would earn 30% of profits from each sale.

Peer review would check for things like re-makes and obviously inappropriate content in the maps.

Option to try a trail of the map, will last 48 hours or 7 games after that time it will ask you to buy the map, if you do not buy the map you will no longer be able to play it.

This option could be used on all current Halo games and is pretty much guaranteed to make a profit for Microsoft.

EDIT: I would also like to add that there would be a downloadable HUB on the dashboard to find and rate maps just like indie games.
Bungie Aerospace..?

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
Thinking more about my Halo Creators Club idea, I also think it should come with the tools Bungie has to make custom games like they do (obviously people wouldn't be able to charge for custom games though)
You know bungie would have done something akin to that if they could (though the way you put this idea is entirely absurd). They've always catered to the community creation side of their fans. They are the ones who added their content creation tools to halo pc/2, microsoft is the one who seized them and removed features before allowing them out the door. All you can hope for is that Bungie's next game comes out on PC (theres no reason that it shouldn't) and then if for some reason you stick to the console version you better hope they develop a pipeline similar to what Crytek is doing for cryengine 3.

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
I don't even know where to begin to describe how bad an idea that "Halo Map Maker Club" idea is. Just terrible.
I understand why a decent chunk of people wouldnt like the idea but there are those who would like it and would make Microsoft a profit which is all they would want to let something of this sort pass.

EDIT: Also its just a little thought I had nothing more :)

Dani said:
I don't even know where to begin to describe how bad an idea that "Halo Map Maker Club" idea is. Just terrible.

Ill tell you what is a good idea... Classic settings on the defiant map pack for customs this weekend. :p

By the way Dani, im not sure if your aware, but I started the whole "Halo Map Maker Club" movement.

No matter how many times I say that it never gets old, to the 99% of people who dont know what im talking about im just ribbin on wwmonkey and the other dude, I didnt start any movements. :p

Raide

Epic tried out this a bit with UT on PS3. People could make maps on a PC and use them on a PS3. A shame the game pretty much bombed since it could be a very lucrative idea and also a great way to keep the community alive.

Bungie have put way more effort into keeping the Forge community alive, especially with the Community map playlists but they could still expand Forge more, which in turn keeps people playing.

I wish I had an in-game counter for the amount of time I have spend in Forge. If Bungie/343i keep making stuff for me to Forge, I will keep buying and making stuff. If only they could combine Forge with the FC2 editor for terrain. :D

wwm0nkey

Raide said:
Epic tried out this a bit with UT on PS3. People could make maps on a PC and use them on a PS3. A shame the game pretty much bombed since it could be a very lucrative idea and also a great way to keep the community alive.

Bungie have put way more effort into keeping the Forge community alive, especially with the Community map playlists but they could still expand Forge more, which in turn keeps people playing.

I wish I had an in-game counter for the amount of time I have spend in Forge. If Bungie/343i keep making stuff for me to Forge, I will keep buying and making stuff. If only they could combine Forge with the FC2 editor for terrain. :D
The only problem with Forge is there are no skins for the objects and people are getting sick of seeing Gray all the time.

Also sadly I dont think we will ever see a FC1-2 like editor since it wouldn't be profitable to Microsoft :/

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:
I understand why a decent chunk of people wouldnt like the idea but there are those who would like it and would make Microsoft a profit which is all they would want to let something of this sort pass.

You are quite plainly wrong. Microsoft, or 343i in this case, isn't just about the money when it comes to Halo. Halo isn't just another game franchise, it's the premier franchise for the console and represents MS/343i's flagship franchise that essentially defines MS's "core gamer" business model.

As such, they don't milk it or whore or abuse it.

Why isn't there a Halo film already? They could shit out a film any time and watch the money pour in.

Why isn't there a yearly sequel with minimal changes across the board?

Make no mistake, MS and 343i are a business. Halo is a franchise worth billions or any currency you want to frame it in. Halo hasn't made billions with shoddy sequels and cheap cash-ins. It's through respect for the fans and acknowledgement that a Halo game needs to be the best game it can be. A Halo product must be a quality product.

Microsoft have been pouring millions into 343i to make sure they can do right by the series. They have hired and are hiring the best talent they can. Just go look at the latest book, Cryptum. It's a a great book by Greg, the fucking MAN, Bear. It's not some cheap Happy Meal byproduct, it's the real deal. The Defiant Map pack is just as good any DLC for Halo that has come before if not better.

Microsoft/343i isn't perfect. Sometimes they make mistakes, like the Mythic fiasco. However there is a clear intent behind their actions. They clearly want to do best by the franchise, maintain the quality bar or push it upwards. They are also a business and they need to make a profit but they haven chosen to do so by trying to make the smart choices and the best choices both for their shareholders and us the players. It's not an easy road to walk at all, just look at other developer powerhouses like Activision to see where things can go very publicly wrong.

And your idea isn't just unsound. It's stupid. =P

I'll make it simple. Your idea doesn't respect the quality experience Halo fans have come to expect. For your idea to work, matchmaking would be the sacrificial lamb. Players would get tons of middling to shit maps, nobody to play with and the fanbase would go elsewhere.

Raide

wwm0nkey said:
The only problem with Forge is there are no skins for the objects and people are getting sick of seeing Gray all the time.

Also sadly I dont think we will ever see a FC1-2 like editor since it wouldn't be profitable to Microsoft :/

Yeah, gray stuff is getting boring. Even with the lighting FX they added, nobody really uses them since they all look odd. Starting making maps in Tempest, just so I have a different view. :p

I would keep using the old Forgeworld if only they added some more stuff. They need to add some prefab stuff like rooms, bridges etc, mainly to cut down on the frame-drops when Forgers have to use 10 blocks just to make a basic walled room.

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
You are quite plainly wrong. Microsoft, or 343i in this case, isn't just about the money when it comes to Halo. Halo isn't just another game franchise, it's the premier franchise for the console and represents MS/343i's flagship franchise that essentially defines MS's "core gamer" business model.

As such, they don't milk it or whore or abuse it.

Why isn't there a Halo film already? They could shit out a film any time and watch the money pour in.

Why isn't there a yearly sequel with minimal changes across the board?

Make no mistake, MS and 343i are a business. Halo is a franchise worth billions or any currency you want to frame it in. Halo hasn't made billions with shoddy sequels and cheap cash-ins. It's through respect for the fans and acknowledgement that a Halo game needs to be the best game it can be. A Halo product must be a quality product.

Microsoft have been pouring millions into 343i to make sure they can do right by the series. They have hired and are hiring the best talent they can. Just go look at the latest book, Cryptum. It's a a great book by Greg, the fucking MAN, Bear. It's not some cheap Happy Meal byproduct, it's the real deal. The Defiant Map pack is just as good any DLC for Halo that has come before if not better.

Microsoft/343i isn't perfect. Sometimes they make mistakes, like the Mythic fiasco. However there is a clear intent behind their actions. They clearly want to do best by the franchise, maintain the quality bar or push it upwards. They are also a business and they need to make a profit but they are choosen to do so by trying to make the smart choices and the best choices both for their shareholders and us the players. It's not an easy road to walk at all, just look at other developer powerhouses like Activision to see where things can go very publicly wrong.

And your idea isn't just unsound. It's stupid. =P

I'll make it simple. Your idea doesn't respect the quality experience Halo fans have come to expect. For your idea to work, matchmaking would be the sacrificial lamb. Players would get tons of middling to shit maps, nobody to play with and the fanbase would go elsewhere.
Could have just said that *cry* :lol

Either way like I said just a thought I had nothing more, and hell its probably better than me going on about Halo 2 XBLA :)

Also as for the Halo film I still wish the original wasn't canned. Neil Bloomkamp more than proved himself with District 9, still would like to know what is going on with that Fall of Reach script though.

Top Bottom