• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Steelyuhas said:
Anyone have or can edit an overview of what Uplink's differences are from Condemned? I didn't really understand where the teleporters went when I played it.

For some reason, Condemned's layout confuses me in-game even though it's really quite simple.

Yeah I'm still getting kind of confused on the layout of Condemned as well. I suspect the more I play it the more it'll make sense.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dax01 said:
The hell does that mean?
google-1998.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
My one conclusion so far is that the use of teleporters was unwise, especailly given the placement of the shotgun. A big man cannon leap across the center would be more entertaining and funtional.
I disagree. The teleporters are a great addition to Highlands. Imagine using a mancanmon to get somewhere, and then being sniped or dmr'd to death before hitting the ground. It wouldn't be fun.

The teleporters make it easy to get around such a large map without having to walk everywhere.

GhaleonEB said:
I and others are beating the drum in Optimatch. I did my lament on the HBO forum, here and Optimatch, I figured I'd try to make it as visible as possible, for a while. I'm so sad I can't just hop into matchmaking and get a game of Unearthed going.

Getting lucky every now and then at Score Attack is not the right way to integrate a Firefight map.
For what its worth, you have my sword. Hopefully this week's Bungie Update will shed some light on things.

Oozer3993

Narpas Sword0 said:
more short sighted 1998-era thinking from Bungie. bravo

I know. I can't believe Bungie would include a cooperative waves-o-enemies gametype and NOT include the maps in multiplayer. I mean, all games back in 1998 did that. I distinctly remember Ocarina of Time's variation of Firefight. First wave had some octoroks, you know something simple, but the last wave comes and suddenly there's 6 Ganons! That shit was straight unfair. Thankfully I could just wipe away those memories by playing that map in the games wonderful muliplayer mode. If only the boomerang had a shorter spawn timer.

neoism

Plywood said:
Yeah.

Still doesn't make sense.

The best way to fix Reach now is to switch everything to classic settings. ;)
not sure why but I just don't really like classic... :( It my be because I was playing against waay better players in customs.. :p Still looking forward to playing it in MM though. I guess I just miss sprint to much though. :/ Vanilla Reach just feels more realistic to me..

Havok

WickedLaharl said:
what about join in progress? i'll totally come back to the game if bungle apologizes by adding it.
I'd rather deal with an occasional quitter than be forced to constantly join games that are 2 kills from being complete on the losing team, which has the added detriment of killing the competitive nature of the game.

Havok said:
I'd rather deal with an occasional quitter than be forced to constantly join games that are 2 kills from being complete on the losing team, which has the added detriment of killing the competitive nature of the game.

And destroying my Win/Loss ratio. I love Call of Duty, but that shit sucks.

Edit: It's also the bane of win streaks.

WickedLaharl said:
what about join in progress? i'll totally come back to the game if bungle apologizes by adding it.
Nope. We already started without you. Sorry.

(actually, I'd love join-in-progress and it would solve more than a few matchmaking problems. Keep it in Arena if K/D is that important.)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Narpas Sword0 said:
more short sighted 1998-era thinking from Bungie. bravo
Except that most if not all Firefight maps would play poorly as MP maps.
neoism said:
not sure why but I just don't really like classic... :( It my be because I was playing against waay better players in customs.. :p Still looking forward to playing it in MM though. I guess I just miss sprint to much though. :/ Vanilla Reach just feels more realistic to me..
I dun need realism in mah vidya games but to each their own.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hitmonchan107 said:
And destroying my Win/Loss ratio. I love Call of Duty, but that shit sucks.

Edit: It's also the bane of win streaks.
Yuuuuuuup.

I play Reach for this:

2ZdMD.png

And my K/D. Meta-gaming since September 14, 2010, believe.

GhaleonEB

7echnicolor said:
I disagree. The teleporters are a great addition to Highlands. Imagine using a mancanmon to get somewhere, and then being sniped or dmr'd to death before hitting the ground. It wouldn't be fun.

The teleporters make it easy to get around such a large map without having to walk everywhere.
I've only played a few games on Highlands. And in all of them - even the first one - players were camping or being camped at the teleporters with the shotgun.

This could be alleviated by moving the shotgun to the opposite ends of the map that the teleporters are in. I don't think the two - shotguns and teleporters - mix well on the same map. (For the custom map I'm putting the finishing touches on, I've left the shotgun off of it for that reason.)

Also, the map violates an unwritten rule about map design - don't put the power weapons in their location of ideal use. Snipers on towers, shotguns in CQC areas, laser in a high point off center of map with view of the middle. Make players earn them. Sniper down low, laser in the crashed Pelican, shotty in the open.

While I'm being grouchy: the daily Challenge "Just Hold On...", Complete 10 Rounds in Firefight Matchmaking without dying, is broken. It's set so that if you die at all during a game, it means you can't increment it at all during the rest of the game. I just played a game of Firefight Limited where I didn't die in the first Round, and it ticked up. I died in the second, and got the "Challenge Failed" message. I then didn't die at all in the third round, and did not get credit for it. Needless to say, that makes it harder to get.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
NullPointer said:
That may or may not be true, but I'd still love to play Firefight in just about every multiplayer map.
Well MP maps as FF maps is another story.

I do wish FF voice's could be for both FF and MP.

bangai-o

Banned
NullPointer said:
We already have those playlists. Only thing is there's nothing to be done about it when it happens.
i have been on a "submit player review > quit early/unsupporting conduct" frenzy since ive bought the game!

I understand why it may be better to just quit. BTB is an extremely hit or miss gametype, being teamed with a bunch of douchebags needs a quit. Im using decent judgement on the player reviews.

Falagard

Jeremiah said:
If they were re-engineered as MP maps they would not be Firefight maps, they would be MP maps and would have support for MP game variants and map variants.

They would essentially have to be built from from the ground up as a Multiplayer map using the same assets as the Firefight map used. It would likely take as much time and effort as making a brand new Multiplayer map.

It sounds like Jeremiah is suggesting that you can't use a Firefight map for Multiplayer because it's a technical limitation, and I doubt that's the case.

I'm sure there is a TON of extra data embedded in the map, A.I. waypoints, pathfinding, group behavior, A.I. spawns, drop pods and phantom drop off points, player spawns specific to Firefight, and possibly even enemy meshes, animations, and sounds but I really doubt there's any other technical reasons why a Firefight map couldn't be scrubbed through some process (an automated tool written by a programmer) to remove all that in a short period of time, leaving just the level geometry, textures and skybox.

I can understand if a Firefight map doesn't carry over very well into Multiplayer from a design standpoint, but that's a different story.

Lingitiz

Highlands really shows off how terrible the default BTB playlist maps are. Really loving the new maps, although Highlands could use a longer cooldown on the power weapons. Condemned has a really nice feel as well. My only gripe is that i've only played one match on Unearthed. Needs to be addressed asap!

feel

I'm enduring some terribly broken objective or big team crap on the Invasion and Noble playlists (where at least half my team always quits) in hopes of getting an Invasion game on Breakpoint for the achievement... I'm feeling actual pain

edit- success!! It only took like 4 hours of misery to finally get that gametype and the achievement. I probably should've stop trying one hour in, but dammit, after already wasting time on it I didn't want to leave empty handed.

Ramirez

So will we have to wait a month or more for the spawn timers on power weapons to get changed on Highlands? I infiltrated the enemy base one game tonight, killed the rocket guy, saw that he had 6 rockets, turn around and another set had spawned, lol. HEH

feel

Ramirez said:
So will we have to wait a month or more for the spawn timers on power weapons to get changed on Highlands? I infiltrated the enemy base one game tonight, killed the rocket guy, saw that he had 6 rockets, turn around and another set had spawned, lol. HEH
The Bnet forum post confirming the fix for that on the September playlist update should be crossing your eyelids by June. Cheer up.

Pollux

I'm trying to get back into Reach, if anyone wants to get some games going sometime PM me. Everyone I know has moved on to Black Ops and I'm pretty tired of that.

Ramirez

Sikamikanico said:
Genuinely the most entertaining clip I've seen in a while! Talk about evasive!

On a serious note, the physics of the Hog on highlands are different! It drives...well, it drives like it should do! Am I imagining it?

Feels the same to me, and still completely worthless. All of these anti vehicle weapons aren't needed when a couple of DMRs can take down a hog in seconds, smh. I wish each base had a pro pipe with low ammo, move the rockets to the mid with just 2, and completely remove snipe/laser/launcher. Too many power weapons on that map, and the current spawn timers make it a billion times worse.

Nutter

You know the playlist is fucked, when on condemned I had 19 sniper shots.

For the love of all halo, hire someone who knows what the fuck to do and get it done. I could probably do the fixes in 1 day.

Ramirez said:
Feels the same to me, and still completely worthless. All of these anti vehicle weapons aren't needed when a couple of DMRs can take down a hog in seconds, smh. I wish each base had a pro pipe with low ammo, move the rockets to the mid with just 2, and completely remove snipe/laser/launcher. Too many power weapons on that map, and the current spawn timers make it a billion times worse.

This. Although, I feel too many power weapons in Reach in general are a big problem, especially their respawn rates. Who needs default weapons when everyone can be wielding a power weapon?

Nutter

theAntagonist said:
This. Although, I feel too many power weapons in Reach in general are a big problem, especially their respawn rates. Who needs default weapons when everyone can be wielding a power weapon?
Every power weapon is a problem in Reach. The rockets have super splash damage, and having the others mixed in on the map all which spawn in the blink of an eye is just out right stupid.

equil

Im starting to hate the spree announcement that pops up when someone is on a spree.

Like yesterday as soon as I got my frenzy and had 0 deaths I got sniped in the face by my teammate for a betrayal...sometimes I really hate the halo community.

equil said:
Im starting to hate the spree announcement that pops up when someone is on a spree.

Like yesterday as soon as I got my frenzy and had 0 deaths I got sniped in the face by my teammate for a betrayal...sometimes I really hate the halo community.

One reason why I like that COD disables friendly fire in most games. Sure, it dumbs the game down a bit, but it eliminates a lot of the retardedness.

Oh and yeah, the weapons on Highlands definitely need adjusting. I was hanging out by the Splaser spawn and they were often appearing before I'd depleted the charge from the previous one.

Kuroyume

Banned
I'm not surprised about the respawn times. That's something that happens with vehicles too. Ever play a game on Hemmorhage? Vehicle after vehicle after vehicle...

Flipyap

A27 Tawpgun said:
EDIT: So I finished the Winter Contigency challenge today.

And I was reminded at how TERRIBLY the covenant was introduced onto Reach. Probably my biggest disappointment with the campaign. The covenant didn't seem horrific enough. We only saw some bodies. It would have been much more meaningfull if we saw civillians getting killed, or if we had to make a military decision that would give us a chance at driving back the covenant but would mean sacrificing civilian lives.

Stuff like that. Did Bungie feel it was too controversial or something?
You can see that on Exodus, and it looks just as cartoony as it did in Halo 3. I don't think the Covenant can be made scary in a typical Halo game, and I'm not convinced that Bungie even tried to do that, despite the pre-release hype. Unless they really do believe that making them speak Klingon did the trick. In that case... oh dear.

Kuroyume said:
I'm not surprised about the respawn times. That's something that happens with vehicles too. Ever play a game on Hemmorhage? Vehicle after vehicle after vehicle...

The fun of Hemmorhage (if there's any...) comes 90% from the vehicles... DMR Slayer on Highlands wo power weapons >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DMR Slayer on Hemmorhage wo vehicles.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Ordered.

EDIT: So I finished the Winter Contigency challenge today.

And I was reminded at how TERRIBLY the covenant was introduced onto Reach. Probably my biggest disappointment with the campaign. The covenant didn't seem horrific enough. We only saw some bodies. It would have been much more meaningfull if we saw civillians getting killed, or if we had to make a military decision that would give us a chance at driving back the covenant but would mean sacrificing civilian lives.

Stuff like that. Did Bungie feel it was too controversial or something?

Also,

"The covenant is on Reach, I repeat, the covenant is on Reach"

SERIOUSLY? IN THAT MONOTONE VOICE? Goddamn, REALLY dropped the ball there.
The voice actor that played Carter sounds like he was reading random lines from a page, and not knowing what the story was at all. And I agree, the introduction of the Covenant should have been far more brutal than a couple of bodies and a burned out vehicle. Noble Team should have been called away in the middle of a civvie rescue to keep Visigrad from being overtaken (basically leaving them to die), which would have created a much more emotional beginning to the story IMO. Watching the Covenant destroy a civilian village while you're being whisked away in a Falcon would set a much more chilling tone to the story rather than "the Covenant are on Reach.".

Tawpgun

Flipyap said:
You can see that on Exodus, and it looks just as cartoony as it did in Halo 3. I don't think the Covenant can be made scary in a typical Halo game, and I'm not convinced that Bungie even tried to do that, despite the pre-release hype. Unless they really do believe that making them speak Klingon did the trick. In that case... oh dear.
You see a ship get downed. That's a start I suppose.

Imagine how much hate you could garner for the covenant if there was a more open level in the city where you actually see civilians screaming for rescue and being gunned down by covenant. Imagine seeing a child over a dead mother. What if there was a player choice segment where you could go this way, and save so and so civilians, or that way and save so and so civilians, but you would have to actually SEE the other ones get gunned down and massacred. Imagine a key point in the story is letting innocents die so you can take down a key covenant location, maybe destroying a building thats still getting evacuated in order to destroy coordinates to Earth. Sacrificing innocents for the greater good.

Stuff like that. Reach was suppose to be this terrible tragedy, the point where hopes sunk to an all time low.

What we got was a stroll through Reach farmlan- Oh hey look the covenant is chilling on some rooftops. Man... this ruins my entire afternoon.
squidhands said:
The voice actor that played Carter sounds like he was reading random lines from a page, and not knowing what the story was at all. And I agree, the introduction of the Covenant should have been far more brutal than a couple of bodies and a burned out vehicle. Noble Team should have been called away in the middle of a civvie rescue to keep Visigrad from being overtaken (basically leaving them to die), which would have created a much more emotional beginning to the story IMO. Watching the Covenant destroy a civilian village while you're being whisked away in a Falcon would set a much more chilling tone to the story rather than "the Covenant are on Reach.".
Agreed. Stuff like that. It would be even more powerful if it wasn't scripted but was more like captive marines in H3. It MIGHT be possible to save some, but you couldn't save them all. Or if players had to make the choice to save only one group of civvies.

That marines delivery was terrible, Carter's was fine. Not sure if you confused the two. I actually think Carter was one of the best, if not the best voice actors in the game. Something about his voice just felt perfect.

Top Bottom