• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Popeck

GhaleonEB said:
Someone else made this comment, but I think Highlands is biting off more than it can chew. What I've noticed with both Condemned and Highlands is how busy the geometry is, which is a contrast from Bungie's generally cleaner feel. I'm not sure if it's better or worse yet, but it makes the maps feel a bit more cluttered to my eye. And in terms of player movement, there's quite a lot of space to Highlands. If players fan out around the less obvious routes, it can take a while to run into players.

Yeah, especially the early Slayer / Sniper matches consisted of pretty much just wandering around, but in the objective matches there's been no lack of action. The few CTF matches I've got to play on Highlands were pretty good. On the other hand, Condemned feels too cluttered in the middle. Everyone seems to gravitate (no pun intended) towards the low-g section. I haven't got the chance to play objective modes on that map, so maybe that would improve the situation. 6vs6 may also be simply too much for the map. Or maybe players will learn to move around the map more broadly as time goes on.

vhfive said:
lolz
Dani just 4 shotted (I think that's how you would spell it) monkey with no shields

You better watch it when you shoot the breeze with some far out ideas on a game forum, because someone is likely to take it as very serious business.

Kibbles

I was never one who complained about armor lock during the beta or launch of Reach, just didn't care about it. Just came out of a game of slayer on condemned... Fuck that shit. Armor lock better not be in the next game, save us 343.

wwm0nkey

Kibbles said:
I was never one who complained about armor lock during the beta or launch of Reach, just didn't care about it. Just came out of a game of slayer on condemned... Fuck that shit. Armor lock better not be in the next game, save us 343.
Just play the Classic play list when it hits, AA problem solved, also makes the game more fast and fun all around.

witness said:
Son of a bitch not being able to get into a Unearthed game via matchmaking is beyond frustrating.
Please tell me top men are on the case. DLC that you're lucky to be able to use has to count as broken.

KevinRo

Dani said:
You are quite plainly wrong. Microsoft, or 343i in this case, isn't just about the money when it comes to Halo. Halo isn't just another game franchise, it's the premier franchise for the console and represents MS/343i's flagship franchise that essentially defines MS's "core gamer" business model.

As such, they don't milk it or whore or abuse it.

Why isn't there a Halo film already? They could shit out a film any time and watch the money pour in.

Why isn't there a yearly sequel with minimal changes across the board?

Make no mistake, MS and 343i are a business. Halo is a franchise worth billions or any currency you want to frame it in. Halo hasn't made billions with shoddy sequels and cheap cash-ins. It's through respect for the fans and acknowledgement that a Halo game needs to be the best game it can be. A Halo product must be a quality product.

Microsoft have been pouring millions into 343i to make sure they can do right by the series. They have hired and are hiring the best talent they can. Just go look at the latest book, Cryptum. It's a a great book by Greg, the fucking MAN, Bear. It's not some cheap Happy Meal byproduct, it's the real deal. The Defiant Map pack is just as good any DLC for Halo that has come before if not better.

Microsoft/343i isn't perfect. Sometimes they make mistakes, like the Mythic fiasco. However there is a clear intent behind their actions. They clearly want to do best by the franchise, maintain the quality bar or push it upwards. They are also a business and they need to make a profit but they haven chosen to do so by trying to make the smart choices and the best choices both for their shareholders and us the players. It's not an easy road to walk at all, just look at other developer powerhouses like Activision to see where things can go very publicly wrong.

And your idea isn't just unsound. It's stupid. =P

I'll make it simple. Your idea doesn't respect the quality experience Halo fans have come to expect. For your idea to work, matchmaking would be the sacrificial lamb. Players would get tons of middling to shit maps, nobody to play with and the fanbase would go elsewhere.

Are you fucking shitting me? His idea isn't stupid at all, ontop of that your argument is so HDF it's ignorant. Map editors have been out FOR YEARS. Devs realize after the initial release spike of players it's the community that drives the game. Infact map editors have been introduced into games perfectly into the PC sphere for years.

Of course Microsoft is in it for the money. Practically making the expansion that ODST was into a 60 dollar game? Not allowing free DLC after a certain amount of time yet other companies have done by allowing free DLC over xbl before.

Inregards to the Halo movie, there have been multiple scripts already and attempts to TRY and make a halo film. It's not as easy as you think it is to make a movie. No one is going to pick up the script and do it if they can't package it and sell it to an audience. Your idea of how many people would want to watch a halo movie is highly skewed. The problem isn't Microsoft wanting to pump out a movie, the problem is the studios know it will bomb.

And with the sequal shit, Microsoft has gone on record that they want MORE HALO'S in a shorter time period. How can you not see this is milking the franchise more? Bungie did fans right by using a 3 year period and attempting to make a AAA title each time. This entire time Halo was under Bungie, it was more like Bungie protecting the franchise from Microsoft.

Your response was more of a 'you should be grateful blah blha blah look at all they have done for us'. My response is look how Frankie and them treated Ram at that mini event where he played the Defiant pack early. If the fans want a map editor and are willing to pay for it (god forbid considering most that come out are free) then why not try working on one. The fans of Halo have shown to have amazing idea's creating maps with the limited palette that is Forge. I would like to see this idea atleast thought through by 343

Lazslo

I love the sniper spawn times on Highlands- Maybe it's different for Big Team TS but every time I checked one was waiting for me.

wwm0nkey

Staying out of the map making discussion for a bit but speaking on the Halo movie

Halo: Faith and Operation Chasity are kicking things into high gear and we will be seeing a decent chunk of high budget Halo fan movies soon.

Also I really would like to know what happened to that Halo: The Fall of Reach script that Spielberg was 'blown away' by. I mean that scrip/art work was made during the writers guild strike out of pure passion to get the movie going.

Ramirez

KevinRo said:
Are you fucking shitting me? His idea isn't stupid at all, ontop of that your argument is so HDF it's ignorant. Map editors have been out FOR YEARS. Devs realize after the initial release spike of players it's the community that drives the game. Infact map editors have been introduced into games perfectly into the PC sphere for years.

Of course Microsoft is in it for the money. Practically making the expansion that ODST was into a 60 dollar game? Not allowing free DLC after a certain amount of time yet other companies have done by allowing free DLC over xbl before.

Inregards to the Halo movie, there have been multiple scripts already and attempts to TRY and make a halo film. It's not as easy as you think it is to make a movie. No one is going to pick up the script and do it if they can't package it and sell it to an audience. Your idea of how many people would want to watch a halo movie is highly skewed. The problem isn't Microsoft wanting to pump out a movie, the problem is the studios know it will bomb.

And with the sequal shit, Microsoft has gone on record that they want MORE HALO'S in a shorter time period. How can you not see this is milking the franchise more? Bungie did fans right by using a 3 year period and attempting to make a AAA title each time. This entire time Halo was under Bungie, it was more like Bungie protecting the franchise from Microsoft.

Your response was more of a 'you should be grateful blah blha blah look at all they have done for us'. My response is look how Frankie and them treated Ram at that mini event where he played the Defiant pack early. If the fans want a map editor and are willing to pay for it (god forbid considering most that come out are free) then why not try working on one. The fans of Halo have shown to have amazing idea's creating maps with the limited palette that is Forge. I would like to see this idea atleast thought through by 343

Wait, wat?

feel

Buying like 15 of those wristbands, maybe more. Anyone here that lives in the US, feel free to PM me an address in the next couple of hours if you want one of these sent your way because I don't really need more than two or three.

Thermite

Ramirez said:

LOL.

Ramirez said:
Yo dawg, you need to go pick up Homefront, game is actually good, when I shoot people, they actually die, who knew gun tech was more advanced 500 years in the past?

Yeah, I want to pick it up. I might have to trade in some games to Amazon or something to get dem fundz. Omlet was saying last night that he was having trouble finding matches, have you encountered anything like that so far or no?

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
Please tell me top men are on the case. DLC that you're lucky to be able to use has to count as broken.
I and others are beating the drum in Optimatch. I did my lament on the HBO forum, here and Optimatch, I figured I'd try to make it as visible as possible, for a while. I'm so sad I can't just hop into matchmaking and get a game of Unearthed going.

Getting lucky every now and then at Score Attack is not the right way to integrate a Firefight map.

neoism

GhaleonEB said:
Bought one for myself, and one youth band for each of my kids. We've been talking to them about the earthquake in Japan.

Someone else made this comment, but I think Highlands is biting off more than it can chew. What I've noticed with both Condemned and Highlands is how busy the geometry is, which is a contrast from Bungie's generally cleaner feel.
I'm not sure if it's better or worse yet, but it makes the maps feel a bit more cluttered to my eye. And in terms of player movement, there's quite a lot of space to Highlands. If players fan out around the less obvious routes, it can take a while to run into players.

But I've only played a few games on it yet, so I can't really judge it.

My one conclusion so far is that the use of teleporters was unwise, especailly given the placement of the shotgun. A big man cannon leap across the center would be more entertaining and funtional.
This X a million. Bungie is still definitely better at making maps. I love Highlands I do, but it's definitely got that overly busy feeling. It does feel a little bit to big for 6v6, but that's mainly because most players stay at the base, because most of the power weapons spawn there. There's to many power weapons and not enough vehicles. I thought I would LOVE Highlands but it's my 3rd fav BTB map. hemmy <3 :p tempest then HL.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
KevinRo said:

I poop you not.

Forest-trees much? Map editors have existed in the PC space for a long time. The console space, not so much. Over the years I have seen map editors on console games come and go and in the last few generations it's been nice to see process being made with Timesplitters 2 and Far Cry, Halo 3 and Reach's Forge and Far Cry 2. But make no mistake, map editing in the console space, particularly in the environment of Live and PSN with paid DLC, is not comparable to the PC environment.

Unreal Tournament 3 on the PS3 was a lonely blip on the radar. Can you name many more? How many are console platform flagship titles?

Halo games have never done anything but aid community growth. Online console gaming, DLC, multiplayer matchmaking, clans, online parties, Forge maps, saved films, screenshots. Halo has pushed boundaries for it's community and it's community has embraced these features. Halo has certain features by standard that other titles still don't have.

So please don't posit that Halo has neglected the community because of a lack of an in-depth map editor. That is just absurd.

KevinRo said:

I did say that some mistakes were made but something really good did come out of it all. The multiplayer disc with ODST was the great equaliser for Halo 3. Suddenly the majority of players had all the DLC maps on one disc. The playlists became heavily DLC required and players had a better experience. I agree that they made some mistakes regarding Mythic and how they held them back for ODST but bundling the complete multiplayer experience with ODST was a great move in the end.

Who are you to tell Microsoft to give something away for free? Just because you are a Halo fan you think you are entitled to something?

Microsoft came out and said that the map packs from Halo 3 were still selling thousands of copies per week up to a year after release. That is a lot of money sitting on the table and Microsoft are a business - they have every right to make a fair profit. Map packs receive price cuts over time and things like multiplayer disks also come along. Never mind the love the community gets with give-aways, contests and all kinds of ways to reward folks with free codes that happen.

Does Activision give away COD maps?

So what if other companies give away free stuff? Microsoft have a demand and the customers are willing to pay the asking price. The reality is it's not your business to tell them to stop it. Don't like it? Don't buy it, don't support it and walk away.

KevinRo said:

My idea about the potential viewership of a Halo movie isn't skewed. Why? I don't have any. I have no idea if people want to go see a Halo movie. I do know it's a big franchise with considerable public awareness.

The people involved with a Halo movie, ie Frankie, have stated that a Halo movie will come when things are right for it to happen. I'm pretty sure he's talking as much about the quality as he is talking about budgets.

I am also sure 343i/Frankie could poop out a Halo movie next year and reel in a quick few million bucks with a crappie, cheap cash in that would be of low quality but quite profitable. Thankfully, that won't happen.

KevinRo said:

No, a single MS executive said he would like to see Halo move towards an annual model, based on a question that was comparing the Halo franchise to the COD franchise.

343i quickly moved to state clearly and assure folks that this wasn't on the cards at all and that the MS executive quote didn't reflect the intentions and actions of 343i.

Bungie protecting Halo from Microsoft is just stupid. Every 343i person I know wants nothing but the best for Halo and respects the franchise, it's history and it's future.

KevinRo said:

How did Frankie treat Ram? I have no idea what you talking about here, could you elaborate?

My stance is a community-based map-maker would severely fracture online matchmaking - the core Halo multiplayer experience. In doing so, the community would fracture and fall about and most likely move on to other games. The console scene isn't the PC scene. You should not treat Halo like a run of the mill PC game and doing so would be stupid. Thankfully smarter folks than you or I are taking care of it so I am not worried.

witness

GhaleonEB said:
I and others are beating the drum in Optimatch. I did my lament on the HBO forum, here and Optimatch, I figured I'd try to make it as visible as possible, for a while. I'm so sad I can't just hop into matchmaking and get a game of Unearthed going.

Getting lucky every now and then at Score Attack is not the right way to integrate a Firefight map.

Awful awful planning from whoever is responsible. This shit needs to be fixed.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
KevinRo said:
Your response was more of a 'you should be grateful blah blha blah look at all they have done for us'. My response is look how Frankie and them treated Ram at that mini event where he played the Defiant pack early.
What happened?

krakov

Lazslo said:
I love the sniper spawn times on Highlands- Maybe it's different for Big Team TS but every time I checked one was waiting for me.

It seems to respawn even if someone has it. I went into forge with slayer settings and max count there is set to 2, but it doesn't seem to play out that way in MM. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Tawpgun

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=525731464&player=Tawpgun
iQHt2.gif

Ramirez

Plywood said:
What happened?

lol, I think he has me mixed up with Omlet?

^ 16 kills with the sniper, hahahah.

A mancannon to shoot you out to the middle from the tops of the bases would be a nice addition, I agree with Dax for once.

Okay. A couple of things about Highlands:
1. The spawn times for all the power weapons (sans the Pro Pipe™) need to be increased. Way too many rocket and sniper deaths.
2. Speaking of the sniper, I think the sniper needs to be given half the number of bullets it has or reduce it by four bullets.
3. There needs to be mancannons to get players around the map faster.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dani said:
I think Kevinro meant Domino, even though I still don't understand what he meant in the context of what he was saying.
Yeah.
Ramirez said:
Still doesn't make sense.

The best way to fix Reach now is to switch everything to classic settings. ;)

Tawpgun

Ramirez said:

^ 16 kills with the sniper, hahahah.

A mancannon to shoot you out to the middle from the tops of the bases would be a nice addition, I agree with Dax for once.
I didn't bring my XXXXXXXXXXXXXXL large backpack with me. I blame myself.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I didn't bring my XXXXXXXXXXXXXXL large backpack with me. I blame myself.

He does tend to back pack quite a bit, however instead of from the bases, how about from the respective middle buildings on the sides

GhaleonEB

BlueScrote said:
Whats the different between condemned and uplink?
Different weapon layout, and the addition of some teleporters to Uplink.

I can't remember what version of the map it was - Pro? - but one of them had a Plasma Pistol in the middle, where the sword/rockets are. Which is hilariously awesome.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
KevinRo said:
My response is look how Frankie and them treated Ram at that mini event where he played the Defiant pack early.

Wait, was I inadvertently a dick to Ram? I swear I didn't see him.

GhaleonEB said:

I can't remember what version of the map it was - Pro? - but one of them had a Plasma Pistol in the middle, where the sword/rockets are. Which is hilariously awesome.
Also part of the map is blocked off.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Haha I had a few games like that my first few games in the playlist. Hooray for new playlists where everyone's trueskill is zero.

GhaleonEB said:

Haha that would be a pro gametype played on Uplink. For some reason Pro gametype weapon sets state that Covenant power weapons are not legit, and so it either replaces them with a UNSC power weapon or a Covy non-power weapon. In the case of the sword, it replaces it with the plasma pistol.

Dax01 said:
Also part of the map is blocked off.

Anyone have or can edit an overview of what Uplink's differences are from Condemned? I didn't really understand where the teleporters went when I played it.

For some reason, Condemned's layout confuses me in-game even though it's really quite simple.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
xxxstylzxxx said:
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z326/Noctyrn/Saywhat.gif[IMG] <<<< B.net[/QUOTE]
B.net kiddies can armor lock more while juggling two hammers and holding the bomb in Grifball while playing Zombie Invasion Snipers on Hemorrhage in the middle of Rocket Racing and Vetoing DMRs.

Lazslo

Theoretically speaking, could Bungie ever place weapons on a Fire Fight map and introduce it into MatchMaking? I'm just curious if it's possible within the game engine? I'm pretty sure you can't use Fire-Fight specific maps for a custom Slayer game right? It would be pretty interesting to see how those maps play for Multiplayer- I'm sure it wouldn't be a disaster if someone played a slayer game on Beachhead, I'm curious to why it's not possible at all.
-Ghal- what do you think about this...

GhaleonEB

Lazslo said:
Theoretically speaking, could Bungie ever place weapons on a Fire Fight map and introduce it into MatchMaking? I'm just curious if it's possible within the game engine? I'm pretty sure you can't use Fire-Fight specific maps for a custom Slayer game right? It would be pretty interesting to see how those maps play for Multiplayer- I'm sure it wouldn't be a disaster if someone played a slayer game on Beachhead, I'm curious to why it's not possible at all.

Ninja on Fire said:
Firefight maps are not configurable.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=57817021&postRepeater1-p=1#57817064

Ninja on Fire said:
If they were re-engineered as MP maps they would not be Firefight maps, they would be MP maps and would have support for MP game variants and map variants.

They would essentially have to be built from from the ground up as a Multiplayer map using the same assets as the Firefight map used. It would likely take as much time and effort as making a brand new Multiplayer map.
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=57813301&postRepeater1-p=1#57815635

Hey You

I think adding a wraith or two to highlands would be interesting. Maybe reduce spawn times or remove some anti-vehicle weapons and see how it goes.

MrBig

Hey You said:
I think adding a wraith or two to highlands would be interesting. Maybe reduce spawn times or remove some anti-vehicle weapons and see how it goes.
We were talking about this before. I don't think any heavy vehicles would work. Though every single heavy weapon in the game is on the map, besides the FRG.
Snipers, shotguns, rockets, lasers, plasma launchers; all with insanely fast respawn times.

Lazslo

GhaleonEB said:
Whoa that was asked yesterday? Small world (I never go near the B.net boards). Thanks for helping to clear that up Ghal, I still don't completely understand it. For example- what differentiates a FireFight Map and MP Map on the technical level? (Rhetorical Question) To me it looks like an area with geometry and good places to kill bad guys, so somebody should just be able to add guns and the donging should begin. However, I guess there are plenty of things that make it different from a traditional multiplayer space that I'll never or try to understand.

MrBig

Lazslo said:
Whoa that was asked yesterday? Small world (I never go near the B.net boards). Thanks for helping to clear that up Ghal, I still don't completely understand it. For example- what differentiates a FireFight Map and MP Map on the technical level? (Rhetorical Question) To me it looks like an area with geometry and good places to kill bad guys, so somebody should just be able to add guns and the donging should begin. However, I guess there are plenty of things that make it different from a traditional multiplayer space that I'll never or try to understand.
Since ODST they have been basically the same (as far as I'm aware). When he says they can't add it to the MP playspace is that all of the objects, markers, and things essential to make gametypes work are not possible to add into the maps without completely replacing the old map.

Lazslo

NoF said:
If they were re-engineered as MP maps they would not be Firefight maps, they would be MP maps and would have support for MP game variants and map variants.
From this I just take away that the map would have to be re-coded to support specific MP actions which means that each MP map, when created, is specifically coded to work for their distributed or synchronous Networking model- which ever one MP uses I forget.

-So the reason Firefight maps won't work for MP is because of the specific Networking model that in embedded into the map's engineering??
(I have no clue if this is wrong or right and it's most likely not as simple as that)

Top Bottom