• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Nutter said:
You know the playlist is fucked, when on condemned I had 19 sniper shots.

For the love of all halo, hire someone who knows what the fuck to do and get it done. I could probably do the fixes in 1 day.

Whistles nonchalantly.

Striker

molekiller said:
The fun of Hemmorhage (if there's any...) comes 90% from the vehicles... DMR Slayer on Highlands wo power weapons >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DMR Slayer on Hemmorhage wo vehicles.
Well, of course. Coagulation and Blood Gulch were defined by vehicle combat.

Highlands is more of a hybrid. If there's another BTB map later, please make it one sided similar to Terminal or Headlong please. There's already three BTB maps that are symmetrical. And I haven't seen a DLC release or Bungie map that's been an asymmetrical BTB map since the map pack that released Terminal and Relic back in 2005.

The voice actor that played Carter sounds like he was reading random lines from a page, and not knowing what the story was at all. And I agree, the introduction of the Covenant should have been far more brutal than a couple of bodies and a burned out vehicle.

I think George's response is the worst.

When you consider the context - Reach, humanity's last stronghold, George's homeworld - "Here we go" spoken in a nonchalant tone makes no sense. It's completely incongruous. He should be saying the Spartan equivalent of "Holy fucking shit there's some motherfucking Covenant on Reach"

Despite the improvements they made along the way when developing Reach, I think this is something Bungie have always struggled with. They can make a great fictional universe, and they can create a game that's fantastic fun to play. But drawing players into emotionally investing in characters via the setting and dialogue is not one of their strengths.

Part of what made H1 work I think is the whole mystery behind the titular ring. Crazy dialogue aside (really Cortana, I couldn't possibly realise that blatantly unnatural cave is not actually a natural formation), the characters generally acted in a reasonably realistic way. Apart from the occasional bits of info from Cortana and exposition!Keyes, the characters are in the dark as much as the player. It's easier to connect with them because of this.

Tawpgun

Photolysis said:
I think George's response is the worst.

When you consider the context - Reach, humanity's last stronghold, George's homeworld - "Here we go" spoken in a nonchalant tone makes no sense. It's completely incongruous. He should be saying the Spartan equivalent of "Holy fucking shit there's some motherfucking Covenant on Reach"

Despite the improvements they made along the way when developing Reach, I think this is something Bungie have always struggled with. They can make a great fictional universe, and they can create a game that's fantastic fun to play. But drawing players into emotionally investing in characters via the setting and dialogue is not one of their strengths.

Part of what made H1 work I think is the whole mystery behind the titular ring. Crazy dialogue aside (really Cortana, I couldn't possibly realise that blatantly unnatural cave is not actually a natural formation), the characters generally acted in a reasonably realistic way. Apart from the occasional bits of info from Cortana and exposition!Keyes, the characters are in the dark as much as the player. It's easier to connect with them because of this.

That line was terrible, but he made up for it when he said "Contacts? It's the damn covenant." That's a proper response. But then Emile kills it by saying something along the lines of, "CHEER UP BIG MAN, THIS VALLEY GOT A WHOLE LOT MORE FUN."

Some good moments were the security guards in Nightfall. That gave a nice human element. At least TRYING for a human evacuation mission (even though the execution was meh)

They definitely could have put Halo on a more serious tone, but they never had before. Why start now? Honestly, in that department they could have taken cues from Gears of War. The desperation of humanity is about the same in both of those, but Gears really drives it home.

Willeth

A27 Tawpgun said:
Agreed. Stuff like that. It would be even more powerful if it wasn't scripted but was more like captive marines in H3. It MIGHT be possible to save some, but you couldn't save them all. Or if players had to make the choice to save only one group of civvies.
There was some of this in Exodus, but it wasn't really overt. The problem is that when you drawn attention to stuff like this it's extremely hard to make it not be blunt, and while we might all care about it the general Halo player doesn't. It interferes with the 'five seconds of fun' that Halo is known for and at worst can dramatically alter people's perception of the game, which is the absolute worst thing you can do when you want someone to play your game. There's something to be said for managing that expectation to tell the story you want to, but when you're making a game like Reach, you have a whole history of what people know a Halo game to be that you can't contradict without being fantastically careful.

As fans, we know so much more about Halo than the average person. To them, Halo is a colourful shooter with intelligent enemies and useful weapon variety that works great in co-op. It doesn't seem too serious, and if you force it on people it can really hurt the perception of the game.

Played the new maps last night finally (midterms, gargle).

With Condemned, I was surprised at how some/most gametypes end up taking place entirely in the low gravity area. Stuff like oddball and hot potato break out a bit more, but Slayer almost entirely revolves around rushing/holding the low grav core. Seems like a really fun map for free for all.

Highlands really, really reminded me of the exclusive maps in the PC version of Halo 1 - big and sprawling, with lots of alternate routes. Fewer vehicles than I expected but that's OK. I really like this one - since I got started with Halo PC it feels sort of like coming home after so much 4x4 and really straightforward BTB maps like Valhalla and Coagulation. I hope Halo CE XBLA has Death Island!

Also I got the Oddball and CTF achievements! Dunno about Stockpile; I really suck at that mode.

Dax01 said:
For anyone who has a lot of render minutes lying around, I found this awesome game of Valhalla (one of GAF's last). I watched it recently, and I remember why I saved it – it was an awesome game.

Click here for the game.
Rendering, since I was in that game. ;-)

A27 Tawpgun said:
That marines delivery was terrible, Carter's was fine. Not sure if you confused the two. I actually think Carter was one of the best, if not the best voice actors in the game. Something about his voice just felt perfect.
They're both bad, but I never liked Carter's voice acting. Very stiff, over-enunciated, and I got the impression that the actor couldn't care less about the material.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
xxjuicesxx said:
Whistles nonchalantly.
blows foghorn

Jeremiah & Co. didn't craft the weapon layouts for the new maps. They are taking suggestions future revisions, though.

Willeth said:
There was some of this in Exodus, but it wasn't really overt. The problem is that when you drawn attention to stuff like this it's extremely hard to make it not be blunt, and while we might all care about it the general Halo player doesn't. It interferes with the 'five seconds of fun' that Halo is known for and at worst can dramatically alter people's perception of the game, which is the absolute worst thing you can do when you want someone to play your game. There's something to be said for managing that expectation to tell the story you want to, but when you're making a game like Reach, you have a whole history of what people know a Halo game to be that you can't contradict without being fantastically careful.

As fans, we know so much more about Halo than the average person. To them, Halo is a colourful shooter with intelligent enemies and useful weapon variety that works great in co-op. It doesn't seem too serious, and if you force it on people it can really hurt the perception of the game.

Halo: ODST had such a beautiful campaign, it actually had amazing voice work and a nice story.

I would like to see an ODST 2, perhaps on its own engine, following the same squad during the events of Halo 3.

You know what Noble team is missing?

The cast of Firefly.

moai

so the legedary edtion is selling for 60 usd in my country. is it worth it if i already have the game ( normal edition)?

urk said:
blows foghorn

Jeremiah & Co. didn't craft the weapon layouts for the new maps. They are taking suggestions future revisions, though.

Tell them to replace the rocket launchers with Brute Shots, the snipers with Beam Rifles, and everything else with Spikers.

Oh, and replace the Rocket Hog on Unearthed with a Chopper. ;)

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
ncsuDuncan said:
Tell them to replace the rocket launchers with Brute Shots, the snipers with Beam Rifles, and everything else with Spikers.

Oh, and replace the Rocket Hog on Unearthed with a Chopper. ;)
Marching over to the support pod now.

squidhands said:
Oh man, that would have been incredible.

Mal = Carter
Wash = George
Jayne = Emile
Zoe = Kat
Book = Jun

*straightens nerd glasses*

River = Auntie Dot
Simon = Marine #7
Inara = Civilian #3

...okay, now I'm just reaching.

urk said:
blows foghorn

Who the fuck is and Co btw?

Whats his support system like? Feels like anything is too little too late over there... maybe I can get in on that shit I know my way around Halo and I'm pretty passionate about it. Seriously, please.

Tawpgun

squidhands said:
Rendering, since I was in that game. ;-)

They're both bad, but I never liked Carter's voice acting. Very stiff, over-enunciated, and I got the impression that the actor couldn't care less about the material.
Carter was portrayed as a very stoic, military, by the books Spartan, and in that sense he nailed it. Carter was truly the most Spartan-like on the team.

Hey You

How long do you think we have till the next map pack? I hope we don't have to wait until July, I would seriously dish out money every 2 months for new DLC.

Lingitiz

Hey You said:
How long do you think we have till the next map pack? I hope we don't have to wait until July, I would seriously dish out money every 2 months for new DLC.
The addition of the classic playlist and the remakes would be as good as any DLC to me.

Dax01 said:
Sweet! How long until it's done? I wanna download it to my computer ASAP.
est. finish 03.17.2011 ~8:15 AM PDT
It was supposed to be finished about an hour ago, so I have no idea.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Carter was portrayed as a very stoic, military, by the books Spartan, and in that sense he nailed it. Carter was truly the most Spartan-like on the team.
True enough, but I stand by my previous post. Agree to disagree. :)

squidhands said:
The voice actor that played Carter sounds like he was reading random lines from a page, and not knowing what the story was at all. And I agree, the introduction of the Covenant should have been far more brutal than a couple of bodies and a burned out vehicle. Noble Team should have been called away in the middle of a civvie rescue to keep Visigrad from being overtaken (basically leaving them to die), which would have created a much more emotional beginning to the story IMO. Watching the Covenant destroy a civilian village while you're being whisked away in a Falcon would set a much more chilling tone to the story rather than "the Covenant are on Reach.".

Compare his tone of voice from the beginning of the game to his conversation with Kat at the beginning of Long Night of Solace.

There's anger there -- the boiling, self-loathing kind. A commander who's used to seeing victory watches helplessly as his enemy reigns victorious.

It's a position I do not envy.

Carter went from being my least favorite character to being the one whose death affected me the most. As the campaign trudged on, he saw how hopeless the situation was, but he had to keep his team focused on the here and now.

Lingitiz

Hey You said:
Yeah, but the same old forgeworld look doesn't really excite me.
True I actually dislike the forge world look after being forced to play a ton of bad MM maps on it. I expect we see the next map pack in June a bit after E3. Hopefully they can add more maps into it.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I liked Reach's story for the most part. Overall it was presented and executed very well, and the dialogue was much improved over Halo 3 and ODST.
I disagree, mostly. I think Reach has some of the best moment to moment exchanges, and does a good job of building the lead characters and establishing their relationships. The best character building since Halo 2. And it's strongly acted across the board, I thought everyone did a great job.

My problem is that so little of what happens makes sense. So many exchanges and sequences leave me thinking, "What....?" The overarching theme is Bungie's writers put dramatic flourishes ahead of logic.

Random examples.

In the first level, Carter says we are free to engage, but "be selective - we don't want to telegraph our presence." This is right after we've buzzed the entire area at low altitude in Falcons. And better, right after he says it we come around a corner and find Jorge has landed his Falcon right in front of the houses, while we landed a ways away on the bluff. Talk about telegraphing our presence.

The way the Covenant are introduced to Reach is anohter, and has been talked about. It's a devastating moment: they've found our military stronghold and naval shipyard, home to the Spartan program. They're on Earth's doorstep, and millions will die on Reach alone. The response? "This whole valley just turned into a free-fire zone." If there's a more flippant way they could have sucked the drama out of such a key moment, I don't know what it is.

Tip of the Spear's opening cinematic showed me why Reach fell so hard. There's a line of Scorpions advancing on a swarm of Covenant vehicles. The Covenant vehicles are so, so toast. Tank beats everything, right? That was the main lesson of Halo 3. And then the Warthogs and Mongoose (!!!!) speed out ahead of the tanks, and the Scorpions are never seen again. The Warthogs, though, get shredded in dramatic fashion by the Banshees. If they'd hung back, the Scorpions would have had a good old turkey shoot and that would have been the end of it. The shots showing all the vehicles piled up was an excuse to show vehicles piled up - but they're deployed nonsensically to create a hectic battle scene.

Later in the level, when approaching the spire, Auntie Dot announces that the bubble around it is an EMP. Jorge tells the pilot to fly in anyways, and then we crash and the pilot is killed. Shouldn't we have, you know, come up with a plan B after learning the bubble was an EMP? Like flying a little lower, or perhaps landing and approaching on foot to ensure safety? That might even have not telegraphed our presence as loudly. The EMP was an excuse for a loud and dramatic crash scene, but it's a nonsensical one.

Stuff like that happens end to end, on every mission of the game.

And then there's Carter's key conversation with Halsey. Out of the blue she cryptically says she's found 1) an artifact from an ancient civilization 2) that has critical information that 3) might turn the tide of the war and 4) she's given it to this AI and we need to transport it to safety. Um, what? Could you expand on that? That's a lot to take in, and this seems like the climactic reveal of the game, and it was a little vague to put it lightly.

Carter's response: "I understand."

First time through I shouted at the screen something like, "I DON'T UNDERSTAND. KEEP TALKING LADY!" But nope, that's it, that's all we get. She found "something" that's "latchkey" in nature, it's hugely important, transport it.

Is Carter a Spartan or a puppet? If he was true to his character he would have wanted to know what he was transporting. And so do I! We can make assumptions but it continues Bungie's tendency to tell key parts of their story through implication rather than clear narrative. And it made everyone's sacrifice feel empty - I had (have) no idea why that mission was so important, and it undercuts the last level and the entire purpose of the game.

Solid-playing campaign that I enjoy a great deal, but the story is largely nonsensical and flippantly told.

GhaleonEB said:
I disagree, mostly. I think Reach has some of the best moment to moment exchanges, and does a good job of building the lead characters and establishing their relationships. The best character building since Halo 2. And it's strongly acted across the board, I thought everyone did a great job.

My problem is that so little of what happens makes sense. So many exchanges and sequences leave me thinking, "What....?" The overarching theme is Bungie's writers put dramatic flourishes ahead of logic.

Random examples.

In the first level, Carter says we are free to engage, but "be selective - we don't want to telegraph our presence." This is right after we've buzzed the entire area at low altitude in Falcons. And better, right after he says it we come around a corner and find Jorge has landed his Falcon right in front of the houses, while we landed a ways away on the bluff. Talk about telegraphing our presence.

The way the Covenant are introduced to Reach is anohter, and has been talked about. It's a devastating moment: they've found our military stronghold and naval shipyard, home to the Spartan program. They're on Earth's doorstep, and millions will die on Reach alone. The response? "This whole valley just turned into a free-fire zone." If there's a more flippant way they could have sucked the drama out of such a key moment, I don't know what it is.

Tip of the Spear's opening cinematic showed me why Reach fell so hard. There's a line of Scorpions advancing on a swarm of Covenant vehicles. The Covenant vehicles are so, so toast. Tank beats everything, right? That was the main lesson of Halo 3. And then the Warthogs and Mongoose (!!!!) speed out ahead of the tanks, and the Scorpions are never seen again. The Warthogs, though, get shredded in dramatic fashion by the Banshees. If they'd hung back, the Scorpions would have had a good old turkey shoot and that would have been the end of it. The shots showing all the vehicles piled up was an excuse to show vehicles piled up - but they're deployed nonsensically to create a hectic battle scene.

Later in the level, when approaching the spire, Auntie Dot announces that the bubble around it is an EMP. Jorge tells the pilot to fly in anyways, and then we crash and the pilot is killed. Shouldn't we have, you know, come up with a plan B after learning the bubble was an EMP? Like flying a little lower, or perhaps landing and approaching on foot to ensure safety? That might even have not telegraphed our presence as loudly. The EMP was an excuse for a loud and dramatic crash scene, but it's a nonsensical one.

Stuff like that happens end to end, on every mission of the game.

And then there's Carter's key conversation with Halsey. Out of the blue she cryptically says she's found 1) an artifact from an ancient civilization 2) that has critical information that 3) might turn the tide of the war and 4) she's given it to this AI and we need to transport it to safety. Um, what? Could you expand on that? That's a lot to take in, and this seems like the climactic reveal of the game, and it was a little vague to put it lightly.

First time through I shouted at the screen something like, "I DON'T UNDERSTAND. KEEP TALKING LADY!" But nope, that's it, that's all we get. She found "something" that's "latchkey" in nature, it's hugely important, transport it.

Is Carter a Spartan or a puppet? If he was true to his character he would have wanted to know what he was transporting. And so do I! We can make assumptions but it continues Bungie's tendency to tell key parts of their story through implication rather than clear narrative. And it made everyone's sacrifice feel empty - I had (have) no idea why that mission was so important, and it undercuts the last level and the entire purpose of the game.

Solid-playing campaign that I enjoy a great deal, but the story is largely nonsensical and flippantly told.

ODST had the best character building lol, you should know this, you love firefight.

I do have a couple of main gripes with Reach's story (aside from the plot holes and inconsistencies with the book).
1. The UNSC apparently only has one class of warship aside from the Pillar of Autumn.
2. We don't see any massive space battles between the Covenant and UNSC forces...not even in cutscenes.

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
ODST had the best character building lol, you should know this, you love firefight.
I like ODST's story a lot. Great ensemble work, and it tells a good story in an interesting way. Though, I think Bungie's best world and character building was in Halo 2 with the Arbiter's story and character arc, his relationship with the Prophets, etc. But I can see why someone would pick ODST over it, it's just my favorite.
ncsuDuncan said:
I think the Legendary ending for Halo:CE had the best character development.

"This is it, baby... hold me."
It's all about the ass-grab. It spoke to me.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
I like ODST's story a lot. Great ensemble work, and it tells a good story in an interesting way. Though, I think Bungie's best world and character building was in Halo 2 with the Arbiter's story and character arc, his relationship with the Prophets, etc. But I can see why someone would pick ODST over it, it's just my favorite.
That's what I've been telling him. Halo has never had strong character development, but out of all of them, the Arbiter has shown the most change and was the most interesting character of the series.

That and the massive amounts of expanding the story. Exploration too. Halo 2 is my favorite halo campaign.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Compare his tone of voice from the beginning of the game to his conversation with Kat at the beginning of Long Night of Solace.

There's anger there -- the boiling, self-loathing kind. A commander who's used to seeing victory watches helplessly as his enemy reigns victorious.

It's a position I do not envy.

Carter went from being my least favorite character to being the one whose death affected me the most. As the campaign trudged on, he saw how hopeless the situation was, but he had to keep his team focused on the here and now.
To me, it's still the same, uninterested voicing that kills it for me. What it really reminds me of, now that I think about it, is an actor that was given a sheet of lines right before he goes into the booth. No prep, no character backstory, nothing. How well could any of us do in that situation?

GhaleonEB said:
I disagree, mostly.
Well said. I love playing the Reach campaign, but the plot falls way short upon multiple playthroughs. Don't even get me started on Kat's ridiculously written death. It should have conveyed a crushing blow to Noble Team, and my initial response was, "you've got to be fucking kidding me."

Thankfully, the ending of Lone Wolf made up for a lot of the other stumbles in the plotline. Probably the best ending to a game I've ever played; going out like a BOSS.

GhaleonEB said:
Edit – All good points.

I wanted to comment on this specifically. This is actually one of my favorite conversations of the entire game. I think the reason why you didn't enjoy it and I did is because I got something else out of the conversation (after some research, I knew what was being transported, etc, so I was looking past that parts of it). I explained why I enjoyed the cutscene so much in OT2, so I'll just link to my comments. I re-read them and I still stick by them: here and here. I liked it because it was in that conversation I realized why Halsey hates what these "other Spartans" are, and not necessarily the Spartans themselves.
squidhands said:
Well said. I love playing the Reach campaign, but the plot falls way short upon multiple playthroughs. Don't even get me started on Kat's ridiculously written death. It should have conveyed a crushing blow to Noble Team, and my initial response was, "you've got to be fucking kidding me."

Thankfully, the ending of Lone Wolf made up for a lot of the other stumbles in the plotline. Probably the best ending to a game I've ever played; going out like a BOSS.
Yeah. I love the ending. Lone Wolf is so good.

Detox

GhaleonEB said:
When I started the campaign and saw the scene confronting the civilians I felt this could be interesting if the story carries on in this direction. It didn't, the story failed to captivate me and eventually I was just playing for the enemy encounters and varied locations.

As much as I feel Bungie has refined the nuanced arena style combat over the years I feel they severely lack in the storytelling aspect. It's a shame they aren't looking for new story talent to match their gameplay expertise.

They need to learn from the story innovations found in Bioshock or Half Life, I understand the need for cutscenes in Halo but they could have added some ingame first person scenes that told you the story while playing.

Both Halo 3 and Reach ended with the same emotional reaction from me.

Final cinematic plays, credits start to roll.

"WHAT. How could they just end it like that? DAMMIT BUNGLE."

Post-credits scene begins.

"OH THANK GOD. This is awesome. Best ending ever!"

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:

So true about Lone Wolf. It's one of the best pieces of interactive story telling I've encountered. And the framing of Reach around the shattered helmet - my shattered helmet - and the way it starts to crack as you take fire, is incredibly effective. There's a sense of desperation as the inevitable settles in. It's an aspect of the story Bungie hit out of the park.

But they continue to really struggle with the impulse to create drama in ways that doesn't fit into the scene or even make sense in context ("To war!").

Flipyap

A27 Tawpgun said:
You see a ship get downed. That's a start I suppose.
Actually, you do see Brutes killing civilians directly, and just like in Halo 3, it looks like they're playing with dolls.

A27 Tawpgun said:
That line was terrible, but he made up for it when he said "Contacts? It's the damn covenant." That's a proper response. But then Emile kills it by saying something along the lines of, "CHEER UP BIG MAN, THIS VALLEY GOT A WHOLE LOT MORE FUN."
I thought Jorge's response was ridiculous and childish. Though I guess that's fitting, because all of the Spartans in Reach seem a bit mentally challenged.

A27_StarWolf said:
You know what Noble team is missing?

The cast of Firefly.
And black Nolan North. The casting in that game is so ridiculous, I love it.

Flipyap said:
Actually, you do see Brutes killing civilians directly, and just like in Halo 3, it looks like they're playing with dolls.

I thought Jorge's response was ridiculous and childish. Though I guess that's fitting, because all of the Spartans in Reach seem a bit mentally challenged.

And black Nolan North. The casting in that game is so ridiculous, I love it.

You know what Reach needed? More scenes like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36nD_O5ViCA

Top Bottom