• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Hypertrooper said:
Nope. The game needed more true spartan deaths like Emile or Noble6. Carter, Kat and Jorge died really unworthy.

I'm sick of hearing this, Kat was not supposed to have a "noble" death.

Contrast in film.

How many damn covenant did Jorge kill on that ship you think?

Hell Jorge died happy.

Merguson

Banned
Dax01 said:
I do have a couple of main gripes with Reach's story (aside from the plot holes and inconsistencies with the book).
1. The UNSC apparently only has one class of warship aside from the Pillar of Autumn.
2. We don't see any massive space battles between the Covenant and UNSC forces...not even in cutscenes.

Easy and correct answer -> Bungie took out Reach's planetary defences.

Who needs them anyways?

Havok

Hypertrooper said:
Nope. The game needed more true spartan deaths like Emile or Noble6. Carter, Kat and Jorge died really unworthy.
Also, Emile should have somehow died in the first cutscene so I didn't have to hear his terrible one-liners and deal with his shotgun that he thinks is a sniper because the high school goth notebook scribble on his helmet apparently clouds his vision. A terrible, completely uninteresting character.

A27_StarWolf said:

Contrast in film.

Hell Jorge died happy.
Really? Jorge didn't die happy.(In my opinion) He only gives his last wish to Noble6. Jorge could die noble, if you hear sth. over the radio like "I'll protect my planet" etc. These are Spartans. Where did Carter get his deadly wound? Have bungie told us that? Nope. Why is there a Phantom directly after the glassing? If I assume correctly, Convenant only starts to glass, if the fight is over.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A27_StarWolf said:

Contrast in film.

Hell Jorge died happy.
Kat's death was poorly handled, she got headshotted with her helmet on, you're telling me her shield didn't go back up on the elevator if it was even down? Bullshit.

I'll add that the Jackal that got the shot in could've had a Killing Spree considering they were trying to shoot it with AR's and Magnums from that distance.

Hypertrooper said:
Really? Jorge didn't die happy.(In my opinion) He only gives his last wish to Noble6. Jorge could die noble, if you hear sth. over the radio like "I'll protect my planet" etc. These are Spartans. Where did Carter get his deadly wound? Have bungie told us that? Nope. Why is there a Phantom directly after the glassing? If I assume correctly, Convenant only starts to glass, if the fight is over.

I don't think Carter was going to die from his wound, but I think it was just from fire at the cockpit.

After reading Botolf's review of Reach, I gotta say I agree with him that Emile should've been the first one to do and Jorge should have been the last. Reach was Jorge's home and he was the Spartan II on the team.

Dax01 said:
After reading Botolf's review of Reach, I gotta say I agree with him that Emile should've been the first one to do and Jorge should have been the last. Reach was Jorge's home and he was the Spartan II on the team.

Jun: Knows how to survive shit.

Dax01 said:
Jun was killed while getting Halsey to CASTLE. It says so in the new material written for Halo: The Fall of Reach reissue.

I refuse, I believe someone from bungie has been quoted on saying he is alive.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

edit: I wish they had Jun's model more like his concept art...

AlStrong

mmm.... feel like a newb asking this. :p

It was brought to my attention that 343 Industries may have access to Reach's Engine, and I was told it was confirmed here on GAF. Does anyone recall the post or where I could find the post?

Thanks,

Plywood said:
What? Bullshit. Direct quote please.
While Thel managed to slay a human demon – something we were surprised to find here – he came to understand its purpose was to protect a key military asset. We are not certain what this asset's significance is, only that it is, in fact, significant – it is a human, a female. So important, that the demon protector swiftly traded its life for the creature's safety. Such dedication is rather surprising.

feel

Finally got all the achievements from the map packs. Double kill from the grave (by trying to force it) turned out to be harder to get than I anticipated due to my bad luck, but 13 games of multiteam later I finally claimed it on zealot 3-ball. Now I get to just relax and stick to the good playlists. (wait...)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A27_StarWolf said:
I refuse to accept it.
I know, it speaks volumes that they'd write off a character away in four sentences.
Letters said:
Finally got all the achievements from the map packs. Double kill from the grave (by trying to force it) turned out to be harder to get than I anticipated due to my bad luck, but 13 games of multiteam later I finally claimed it on zealot 3-ball. Now I get to just relax and stick to the good playlists. (wait...)
Winter Classic is coming.

Okay, stupid question here, but where does Halsey end up in the fiction?

Didn't she go into the
Dyson sphere portal inside Onyx
?

I wonder if we'll see a mention of that in the next game...

ncsuDuncan said:
Okay, stupid question here, but where does Halsey end up in the fiction?

Didn't she go into the
Dyson sphere portal inside Onyx
?

I wonder if we'll see a mention of that in the next game...
I'm still waiting for Nylund and 343 to get on a sequel to Ghost of Onyx.

In full agreement that Kat's death was poorly done. An unworthy fate for one of the more interesting characters in the campaign, at least IMO. After experiencing what she went through in the live action trailer I for one just felt cheated with how Bungie decided to conclude her story in such an abrupt and unceremonious fashion. One of the few gripes I have about Reach's single player.

Dax01 said:
I'm still waiting for Nylund and 343 to get on a sequel to Ghost of Onyx.

Yeah, the Karen Traviss books are going to be after 3/Onyx, but sounds like those aren't going to continue the Onyx story line.

Unless the Greg Bear series takes a wicked turn in books 2 and 3...
(Just started reading Cryptum, but I imagine I would have heard if Halsey was in it :p )

feel

Dax01 said:
Thanks to Squidhands, A True GAF Game has been rendered.

It's my favorite GAF Halo 3 custom game.
Watching it, so good.

Did anyone save that Hang'em High flag game on Reach with Classic settings from last saturday with the unexpected enemy-base spawns that somehow weren't breaking the game? That has got to be high up there too as one of the best ever from gaf customs.

Dug said:
EDIT: sorry, I don't. :(
That's alright, probably for the best, maybe it wasn't as great as I'm remembering so I'd rather just cherish the good memory.

Dug

Banned
Letters said:
Watching it, so good.

Did anyone save that Hang'em High flag game on Reach with Classic settings from last saturday with the unexpected enemy-base spawns that somehow weren't breaking the game? That has got to be high up there too as one of the best ever from gaf customs.
I'll go check if I have it.

EDIT: sorry, I don't. :(

xxxstylzxxx said:
In full agreement that Kat's death was poorly done. An unworthy fate for one of the more interesting characters in the campaign, at least IMO. After experiencing what she went through in the live action trailer I for one just felt cheated with how Bungie decided to conclude her story in such an abrupt and unceremonious fashion. One of the few gripes I have about Reach's single player.

I don't see it like that at all, her death comes as a shocking reminder that Spartans are not invincible.

As one of the most durable members of noble team, shes obviously been through the most physical pain, and with such a quick and shocking death it brings you back into reality.

Think about your initial reaction, are you upset because it was not noble? Or are you really upset because of how effective it was at shocking you.

I'd argue that Kat's death was one of the best.

MrBig

A27_StarWolf said:
I'd argue the same thing, but I'm pretty sure that they are saying it was executed poorly, which I agree with.

Also I drew a something for our something something.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:
Thanks to Squidhands, A True GAF Game has been rendered.

It's my favorite GAF Halo 3 custom game.

*opens video and hits play*
*player switches from BR to AR*
*closes video*

:/

LOL I watched like a minute of it. What's with 5 second respawns in objective gametypes? It's gotta be 10.

A27_StarWolf said:
The only thing I appreciated about her death was the moments afterwards, tossing the flare and waiting for a pickup. It was a long exhale, and the change of pace I like to see in games.

But besides that the whole scene just felt a little wrong, and rushed. Another iteration with maybe another two seconds of context would've helped dramatically, but its a hard balance to achieve considering how these levels are built for maximum replayability. You don't want any cut-scenes to wear out their welcome.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:
Dude haha I only got like two kills with the AR in that game.

AR AR AR AR AR Melee

I know how those AR shenanigans work. :p

I'm thinking about doing a weekly MLG montage. I take the best clips from the week and make a little mini montage. Good idea? Dumb idea? Tips? Advice?

feel

Tashi0106 said:
*opens video and hits play*
*player switches from BR to AR*
*closes video*
That AR trolling at the start was hilarious. He probably does that in every game just in case it turns out to be a memorable one that he will end up posting on gaf.

And yes to the weekly montage.

NullPointer said:
The only thing I appreciated about her death was the moments afterwards, tossing the flare and waiting for a pickup. It was a long exhale, and the change of pace I like to see in games.

But besides that the whole scene just felt a little wrong, and rushed. Another iteration with maybe another two seconds of context would've helped dramatically, but its a hard balance to achieve considering how these levels are built for maximum replayability. You don't want any cut-scenes to wear out their welcome.

How about one extra line of dialogue when they get out of the elevator?

Kat: "Hold on, my shields are still fried."
Carter: "No time, let's move."
*BLAM*

Tashi0106 said:
AR AR AR AR AR Melee

I'm thinking about doing a weekly MLG montage. I take the best clips from the week and make a little mini montage. Good idea? Dumb idea? Tips? Advice?
FADE IN:
Start out with you walking around with an AR...
FADE TO BLACK:
Title: Now for some serious Halo business.
Letters said:
That AR trolling at the start was hilarious. He probably does that in every game just in case it turns out to be a memorable one that he will end up posting on gaf.
Looks like Letters caught me. :lol

A27_StarWolf said:
I don't see it like that at all, her death comes as a shocking reminder that Spartans are not invincible.

As one of the most durable members of noble team, shes obviously been through the most physical pain, and with such a quick and shocking death it brings you back into reality.

Think about your initial reaction, are you upset because it was not noble? Or are you really upset because of how effective it was at shocking you.

Like others have stated it was all in the execution or lack there of. Your above premise could have been achieved in a number of different ways that would have been much more satisfying and worthy of a character with the supposed depth that she had. I could fully understand your take on it but from my perspective I felt more of a sense of disappointment than shock. I mean we all knew that they were going to die, it just felt like her death scene, while successful in letting the player know how dire the situation really was, didn't come across as something that was fully fleshed out to the extent that many felt that it should have been.

GhaleonEB said:
I like ODST's story a lot. Great ensemble work, and it tells a good story in an interesting way. Though, I think Bungie's best world and character building was in Halo 2 with the Arbiter's story and character arc, his relationship with the Prophets, etc. But I can see why someone would pick ODST over it, it's just my favorite.

It's all about the ass-grab. It spoke to me.

The Arbiter's character, story, and relationships with the other Covenant characters was the best Bungie has done.

Tawpgun

I'm in the boat that says Kat's death was fine. It was a punch in gut that was unexpected. Could they have done more with it? Of course. But as it stands it still worked well. I'm more disappointed in the lack of connection I had with them. Except Jorge. <3 Jorge.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
AR AR AR AR AR Melee

JUST DO IT

It'll push you to fight for awesome moments and you'll get better at video editing.

Steelyuhas said:
The Arbiter's character, story, and relationships with the other Covenant characters was the best Bungie has done.
The Arbiter stuff in Halo 2 was great, even if some of his levels were inferior to the Chief's.

Top Bottom