• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
j-wood said:
How are the new maps? I'm debating on whether to get the mappack or not, since 1 of the 3 is a firefight map...

I am not familiar with Halo, more of a casual user, but the new Defiant maps and Noble amp pack represent an excellent consumer value, with enormous replayability within the exciting universe of the Halo ecosystem. IMO.

GhaleonEB

j-wood said:
How are the new maps? I'm debating on whether to get the mappack or not, since 1 of the 3 is a firefight map...
The two new MP maps are superb. The usual quibbles about weapon placement/spawns etc., but in general they're among if not the best maps in Reach of their kind.

The Firefight map is excellent, as well, though it sounds like that doesn't interest you.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I am not familiar with Halo, more of a casual user, but the new Defiant maps and Noble amp pack represent an excellent consumer value, with enormous replayability within the exciting universe of the Halo ecosystem. IMO.
10/10

OuterWorldVoice said:

1. Release a map pack disc to retail.
2. Slap this quote on the front cover.
3. Profit

4. ???

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
OuterWorldVoice said:
Also the Noble amp pack has some of the best looking amps for Reach yet.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ncsuDuncan said:
Noble is good, but the Defiant amp pack goes to 11.
Yuuuuuuuup.

rqJ2E.jpg

Plywood said:
Also the Noble amp pack has some of the best looking amps for Reach yet.
Who cares about graphic? Highland(except for the weapon spawn times and places) is best map for BTB/TO etc. Totally awesome <3. I haven't played that often on Condemned, but it is awesome too. And the firefight map is the best firefight map I've played. We german would say: Das Kartenpaket ist fantastisch.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hypertrooper said:
Who cares about graphic? Highland(except for the weapon spawn times and places) is best map for BTB/TO etc. Totally awesome <3. I haven't played that often on Condemned, but it is awesome too. And the firefight map is the best firefight map I've played. We german would say: Das Kartenpaket ist fantastisch.
My amps let me show you them:

ncvER.jpg

Plywood said:
My amps let me show you them:

http://i.imgur.com/ncvER.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

And this is why I stick to Halo. Those Guitar Hero games got way too expensive.

[spoiler]I prefer Rock Band anyways, although the MJOLNIR theme DLC in GHIII was great.[/spoiler]

Flipyap

Hypertrooper said:
Nope. The game needed more true spartan deaths like Emile or Noble6. Carter, Kat and Jorge died really unworthy.
Except we don't see Jorge come even close to dying in the game. The Bungie dudes in the Legendary commentary sure found that hilarious. Same with Jun just walking out of the story.

Havok said:
Also, Emile should have somehow died in the first cutscene so I didn't have to hear his terrible one-liners and deal with his shotgun that he thinks is a sniper because the high school goth notebook scribble on his helmet apparently clouds his vision. A terrible, completely uninteresting character.
I like the way you think.
Carter also should have blown himself up sooner. Thanks for "saving" me from having fun with a Scarab, you jackass. Oh no, we'll never make it past this thing! I mean, a single ODST can take it down, what chance do two Spartans have in this situation?!
Okay, one of them is a completely useless Spartan-shaped brick, but...

O D I N

ncsuDuncan said:
And this is why I stick to Halo. Those Guitar Hero games got way too expensive.

I prefer Rock Band anyways, although the MJOLNIR theme DLC in GHIII was great.

QFT.

Rock Band>GH.

I'd also like to say that Defiant does indeed go to 11.

Still have yet to play Highlands. >:[ Everyone keeps picking Condemned...

Which isn't bad. Just... Well, just... DAMMIT I WANNA PLAY HIGHLANDS! >_>

O D I N said:

I've played nothing but Highlands, I'd actually like another shot at Condemned. The first day we played a really awesome Crazy King game on Condemned that kept the combat moving in really interesting ways. Also, once the hill got to the gravity room, it got ridiculous.

Flipyap said:
Except we don't see Jorge come even close to dying in the game.
I could just see Halo 4 opening up with Jorge getting teleported to wherever the hell Master Chief is.

Jorge FTW. Although I did feel a moment of remorse for killing him (or his voice anyhow) in Army of Two: 40th day.

Flipyap said:
Carter also should have blown himself up sooner. Thanks for "saving" me from having fun with a Scarab, you jackass. Oh no, we'll never make it past this thing! I mean, a single ODST can take it down, what chance do two Spartans have in this situation?!
Okay, one of them is a completely useless Spartan-shaped brick, but...
Yeah, I really would have preferred having to fight the scarab for a time (even as just an over the horizon threat) before Carter made his run.

Dax01 said:
Jun was killed while getting Halsey to CASTLE. It says so in the new material written for Halo: The Fall of Reach reissue.
Wrong. The 'Thel' mentioned in that piece is Thel 'Lodamee, who appeared in Halo Legends' "The Package". The SPARTAN killed was a SPARTAN-II named Sheila. The "asset" captured was Catherine Halsey, yes, but she was captured by the Covenant in 2544, and then rescued by the Master Chief. She was not captured during the Fall of Reach, she retreated into CASTLE base. Bungie acknowledged during the Legendary commentary for Reach that Jun is still alive.

O D I N said:
QFT.

Rock Band>GH.

Rock Band being better than GH is not an opinion, its not even a general consensus, its a damn fact.

Agreed on the Defiant playlist. I want to play Highlands, Condemned on the other hand is not really growing on me.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Oh wow, Frankie. :lol

Anyway...I just played a game of Big Team Slayer on Highlands, and I gotta say the sniper is starting to annoy me on that map as much as on Hemorrhage. Same with the laser. I agree that the weapon placement on the map needs to be altered. Laser and sniper more down toward the middle.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Blue Ninja said:
Wrong. The 'Thel' mentioned in that piece is Thel 'Lodamee, who appeared in Halo Legends' "The Package". The SPARTAN killed was a SPARTAN-II named Sheila. The "asset" captured was Catherine Halsey, yes, but she was captured by the Covenant in 2544, and then rescued by the Master Chief. She was not captured during the Fall of Reach, she retreated into CASTLE base. Bungie acknowledged during the Legendary commentary for Reach that Jun is still alive.
Jun in Halo 4 confirmed.

Dax01 said:
Oh wow, Frankie. :lol

Anyway...I just played a game of Big Team Slayer on Highlands, and I gotta say the sniper is starting to annoy me on that map as much as on Hemorrhage. Same with the laser. I agree that the weapon placement on the map needs to be altered. Laser and sniper more down toward the middle.

I think the timers should be adjusted first and then see if there is still an issue.

wwm0nkey said:
Yeah that sucked, they could have at least gave us a few missions with him :/
Were it so easy.

I completely agree with both of you. Did Bungie cave to the people who bitched about the Arbiter sections in H2 or something?

Barrow Roll said:
Were it so easy.

I completely agree with both of you. Did Bungie cave to the people who bitched about the Arbiter sections in H2 or something?
It's not like those people cared about the story/cutscenes in the first place.

blamite

Blue Ninja said:
I was about to post that. Glad you already did. I don't remember the remark form the Legendary commentary exactly, did they say the Jun lives on past the end of the game, or only that he's alive as of the end of Lone Wolf? Ghosts of Onyx makes may less sense if Jun survives, it'd be simpler to either have him die offscreen, or maybe show his story in a short story or comic series, but keeping him alive screws with canon even more than Reach already did.

Crucio

We must assume that Jun is dead. He does not appear in First Strike The Definitive Edition.
If he went to CASTLE with Halsey well he must've died protecting the base or her.

I know its hard to use the books as an example in this but its the only evidence.

Barrow Roll said:
Were it so easy.

Not sure, but I was really disappointed to see the Arbiter cast aside in H3.

Blue Ninja said:

And I wanted to make my dramatic entree, stating this.

but hey, I'm another new guy. I gues I missed the big junior wave but I'm still here.
I saw the standard questions asked by Tashi so I'll answer most I can still remember:
BR
Highest skill: 47 in Lone Wolves
Halo 2: Midship
Halo 3: The Pit
halo Reach: Zealot
I'm an all around guy with preferences for tactical CTF matches with a team I know and comunicate with. This can be in MLG(which I love, but I never have a team to play with :( ) but also in bigteam or teamobjective

I aslo love the Halo canon, I've read nearly every book (planning on buying Cryptum) and finished every game around 10 times.

And that's it about my Halo things. I'm hoping to stay here for a while with this great community.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Crucio said:
We must assume that Jun is dead. He does not appear in First Strike The Definitive Edition.
If he went to CASTLE with Halsey well he must've died protecting the base or her.

I know its hard to use the books as an example in this but its the only evidence.
tumblr_le6ce3JHMl1qzzxaqo1_500.jpg

Flipyap

blamite said:
I was about to post that. Glad you already did. I don't remember the remark form the Legendary commentary exactly, did they say the Jun lives on past the end of the game, or only that he's alive as of the end of Lone Wolf? Ghosts of Onyx makes may less sense if Jun survives, it'd be simpler to either have him die offscreen, or maybe show his story in a short story or comic series, but keeping him alive screws with canon even more than Reach already did.
They joked about letting 343i continue Jorge's and Jun's stories. No real revelations, other than admitting that they don't care about the story/characters.
Ghosts of Onyx already makes very little sense if Halo: Reach exists.
And yeah, everyone might die off-screen in some short story exclusive to a rerelease of an old novel, but that doesn't really make anything better.

Crucio said:

The Pillar of Autumn is in space during the new version of "The Fall of Reach", too, and Halsey has never heard of Spartan-III's.

Inconsistencies and Halo canon go hand in hand.

neoism

Dax01 said:
Jun was killed while getting Halsey to CASTLE. It says so in the new material written for Halo: The Fall of Reach reissue.
What is the difference. I fucking love that book. I've read it like 5 times. I my buy the reissue.

What was the deal with Emile? The way he was first introduced it was like we were getting a 'strong silent type' teammate then all the sudden he became the overused cocky black guy seen in almost every shooter.

Small Mailman said:
What was the deal with Emile? The way he was first introduced it was like we were getting a 'strong silent type' teammate then all the sudden he became the overused cocky black guy seen in almost every shooter.
Np3cG.jpg

Yeah, wasn't he kind of played up as "mentally unstable" from the augmentations or something?

Blue Ninja said:
The Pillar of Autumn is in space during the new version of "The Fall of Reach", too, and Halsey has never heard of Spartan-III's.

Inconsistencies and Halo canon go hand in hand.
Having Jun would disrupt the story of Ghosts of Onyx and First Strike in a major way, while most of what Reach presents will be explained, per Frankie in the Halo: Cryptum thread. I never really notice any inconsistencies in the books, maybe between the books and the games, but not between the books and the books

The likely fate of Jun?
He's dead, Jim.

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
Was just watching that. That shit is mind blowing. Cannot believe how far they have come.

It's almost like a proper TV show with some classy production values.
It really does look amazing, hard to imagine what Season 10 might look like with how good this looks.

I still think they should air Red vs Blue on Adult Swim or Comedy Central, hell the animated series was going to be on G4 and Comedy Central before it got canned.

Top Bottom