• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Crucio

Account Attempt #4 said:
So yeah, FRG attack has needler secondary and infinite ammo... seems as appropriate a venue as any.

Firefight arcade is where its at, shouldn't take more then 4 games.

You guys I've finally looked at Fistful of Arrows and I'm pretty excited for whats this guy has to offer. Am I right when I say that only page 1-3 are out?

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
Wow. I just realized the best chance I had of finishing the Pink Mist challenge was to play 10 straight games of regular Score Attack. That sounded pretty dull, so I gave up. :(
FRG Attack has a Needler secondary, unlimited ammo. Due to the double damage, Grunts and Jackals die before the supercombine, but the Brutes, most Skirmishers and the Elites at the end all pop. I can usually get around 35-40 per game on it.

Another way is to play Arcade, scoop up a Nerfle and go to town since you get unlimited ammo. On most maps you can just sit back and pop guys while everyone else is running around.
Dax01 said:
Ghal, Squid, are we doing a run tonight? Same time? If it's later than 10 I don't think I can do it.
Yeah gimme a half hour to eat dinner, I just got home.

Trasher

Account Attempt #4 said:
So yeah, FRG attack has needler secondary and infinite ammo... seems as appropriate a venue as any.
Yeah I haven't played Firefight in probably three months so I didn't know that existed. Hence why I asked earlier which is the best way to complete that achievement in the fastest way possible. 200 supercombines with the needler is quite the chore though...so I'm giving up on that achievement. I can do a LASO achievement faster than that for ten times the credits...

Btw, speaking of not playing Firefight in so long, it seems to me like enemies are generally weaker now. Did they change health/damage or am I just forgetting how weak enemies were in Firefight?

Crucio

Trasher said:
Btw, speaking of not playing Firefight in so long, it seems to me like enemies are generally weaker now. Did they change health/damage or am I just forgetting how weak enemies were in Firefight?
Most Firefight Arcade gametypes give you boosted damage on most weapons.

Gui_PT

FRG Fight has needler, yes. But in FF Arcade you'll get what? A little over 100 kills?

So you'll have to "compete" with 3 other players to get 100 kills, using needlers while everyone else is using FRG?

That's going to take a looooong time.

Do it in Score Attack you say?

You'll have to be lucky enough to get FRG Fight. And killing all waves with a needler alone will be impossible so that'll take you many matches as well.

Oh and about the boosted damage. The needler will deal way too much damage and will kill most covenant before they supercombine and explode. So it's even tougher.

I got 24 in one game, you could probably get it in 8-10 I'm guessing. The credits from 8-10 games alone would equal like 30-40K credits just getting there.

Trasher

Gui_PT said:
FRG Fight has needler, yes. But in FF Arcade you'll get what? A little over 100 kills?

So you'll have to "compete" with 3 other players to get 100 kills, using needlers while everyone else is using FRG?

That's going to take a looooong time.

Do it in Score Attack you say?

You'll have to be lucky enough to get FRG Fight. And killing all waves with a needler alone will be impossible so that'll take you many matches as well.
Yup. Dumb achievement. FF Arcade is laggy 100% of the time for me too. Makes Firefight even less fun.

NOKYARD

After hearing about other's horrible experiences we decided at the start to keep cool heads and have some fun with TotS LASO.
It may have taken 2.5 hours but the last few minutes made it well worth our time.

Swordy ended up somewhere back at the sewer pipes.

Which, of course, took care of the grunties.

For the last two Elites we used a big purple distraction machine.

GhaleonEB

Same bullshit, different night. Not doing this Challenge again. The canyon rail ride is the most broken thing in the entire Halo series. We can all be doing things perfectly, and players die at random and will full health. The lead Falcon did massive swoops into my view about half the time, meaning I either killed them (sorry, kiddo) or had to hold off on firing until I was too far behind in killing the turrets. Once we randomly swooped so far to the left I was inside the cliff for a couple of seconds. :\

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
Same bullshit, different night. Not doing this Challenge again. The canyon rail ride is the most broken thing in the entire Halo series. We can all be doing things perfectly, and players die at random and will full health. The lead Falcon did massive swoops into my view about half the time, meaning I either killed them (sorry, kiddo) or had to hold off on firing until I was too far behind in killing the turrets. Once we randomly swooped so far to the left I was inside the cliff for a couple of seconds. :\
Just do it with two people then. Spare yourself the suffering.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Damn Letters got banned?? Shit. I was going to see if he wanted to make me a banner for my weekly montages. :( Maybe for next week or whenever.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
Damn Letters got banned?? Shit. I was going to see if he wanted to make me a banner for my weekly montages. :( Maybe for next week or whenever.
Forever_Alone.png

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I hate you lol

edit: It's finished :) I don't know if I should show it tonight or way until tomorrow afternoon. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tashi0106 said:
I hate you lol

edit: It's finished :) I don't know if I should show it tonight or way until tomorrow afternoon. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I need a distraction from my law exam study guide. *wink wink nudge nudge*

Also, that's not a come on.

Edit: :^(

got bored and did the weekly challenge with a friend. the only part that sucked was when your in the falcons. other than that it was quite entertaining.

Tunavi said:
I was so :( when they announced the pistol nerf
Same. You don't even know how sad I was...

Pistol clip has 8 bullets...EIGHT! It basically is a way to nerf people who are good with precision weapons. Hey look here is the pistol. We brought it back. Haha just kidding. Good luck doing anything with 8 bullets.
4 shots to get a shield down assuming no laggy bullshit makes it require more, then at least 1 head shot or 3 more body shots. That's 100% required accuracy if you don't get the headshot. I mean wtf is the point of the weapon?

From long range the pistol is much slower than the needle rifle or DMR; there is just no way to fire accurately without massively pacing shots. And from close range... get this... it is just as inaccurate. Unless someone is running in a straight line at you while you yourself are back peddling, it's extremely hard to make 5 of your 8 shots count, let alone 8.

I just don't understand the discrepancy in difficulty level using the pistol when compared to the assault rifle, or shit, any of the other weapons. You have to be next to perfect to get kills with the pistol. If you mess up even a little, you're stuck reloading or switching weapons; but by that time you're already dead. There is no time to pace your shots in Halo: Reach, because Bungie made the assualt rifle and power weapons overpowered; and it pisses me off to no end. It's just one of many things Bungie has done to the game to further make it a casual game. Basically, I call it a ninja-nerf to Halo, since Halo started as a competitive game and now all the casual gamers are telling people to go play something else.

WTF is the point of requiring paced shots to alleviate bloom if the assault rifle and the power weapons (save only the sniper rifle) don't suffer from it. If the assault rifle was weaker, then yeah, sure why not. But it's as powerful as the pistol, DMR, and needle rifle. Once again, my mind is blown. Where is the balance?

I think most people would agree that the DMR, needle rifle, and the pistol are all close to equally powered. But you're hosed with the pistol because of it's ludicrously small clip. Conclusion? The pistol is a shitty weapon and when Bungie said they were gonna bring it back, they lied.

Deputy Moonman said:
Same. You don't even know how sad I was...

Pistol clip has 8 bullets...EIGHT! It basically is a way to nerf people who are good with precision weapons. Hey look here is the pistol. We brought it back. Haha just kidding. Good luck doing anything with 8 bullets.
4 shots to get a shield down assuming no laggy bullshit makes it require more, then at least 1 head shot or 3 more body shots. That's 100% required accuracy if you don't get the headshot. I mean wtf is the point of the weapon?

From long range the pistol is much slower than the needle rifle or DMR; there is just no way to fire accurately without massively pacing shots. And from close range... get this... it is just as inaccurate. Unless someone is running in a straight line at you while you yourself are back peddling, it's extremely hard to make 5 of your 8 shots count, let alone 8.

I just don't understand the discrepancy in difficulty level using the pistol when compared to the assault rifle, or shit, any of the other weapons. You have to be next to perfect to get kills with the pistol. If you mess up even a little, you're stuck reloading or switching weapons; but by that time you're already dead. There is no time to pace your shots in Halo: Reach, because Bungie made the assualt rifle and power weapons overpowered; and it pisses me off to no end. It's just one of many things Bungie has done to the game to further make it a casual game. Basically, I call it a ninja-nerf to Halo, since Halo started as a competitive game and now all the casual gamers are telling people to go play something else.

WTF is the point of requiring paced shots to alleviate bloom if the assault rifle and the power weapons (save only the sniper rifle) don't suffer from it. If the assault rifle was weaker, then yeah, sure why not. But it's as powerful as the pistol, DMR, and needle rifle. Once again, my mind is blown. Where is the balance?

I think most people would agree that the DMR, needle rifle, and the pistol are all close to equally powered. But you're hosed with the pistol because of it's ludicrously small clip. Conclusion? The pistol is a shitty weapon and when Bungie said they were gonna bring it back, they lied.

I'm pretty sure they originally brought the pistol back, but then significantly nerfed it at every stage of development.

Steelyuhas said:
I'm pretty sure they originally brought the pistol back, but then significantly nerfed it at every stage of development.
You're probably right, but it brings little comfort. All they had to do was leave bloom out of the game and I think I would have been able to stomach everything else. People being able to invis camp with the sniper rifle, sprint/camp with the power weapons, and armor lock any time they should have died just gets old way too quickly. And there is no use in being good with precision weapons, because they are no match for anything in the game. I might as well be some 7 year old kid, who's never played Halo, running around with the assault rifle, as opposed to a long time halo player.

I don't enjoy popcorn shooters where it's less about skill and more about numbers and power weapons. A single good player in Combat Evolved could pull out a win with 3 horrible teammates, and help out quite a bit in Halo2. That was what really made Halo shine. It was a completely different approach to shooters where numbers and the stronger weapons didn't necessarily mean a win.

And that's what baffles me. People liked the original games, so I've never understood, even to this day, the total 180 they did to the formula.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Me, Dani and Nutter just did the rail ride in one try. :D

We just blew up the turrets super quick.

After watching that video of the Beta, what was the reasoning behind replacing Sniper with Pro-pipe on Sword Base anyways? Besides, red team spawning closer, but they could always change that.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Barrow Roll said:
I saw the image pre-edit. It was lame. Stop being lame and I'll stop being sick.

But the sentiment is appreciated.
That's why I edited it, so I could stop being lame. :p

JonCha

I constantly feel like I get nothing out of the pistol - spawning with it on gametypes rather than the DMR is very annoying. Long-range combat simply won't happen. Even at close combat is seems that spamming it vs the AR doesn't work. And I refuse to use the AR.

Even though many might disagree, from a competitive player's point of view Moonman is right. Bad players can rise to the top in Reach, and that never used to be the case. If you screw up then it doesn't mean anything. Better players can get killled by bad players purely because they're resorting to cheap kills and not using skill.

The Classic playlist (hopefully) this week will address some of the issues. If 343 are going to address other issues as was rumoured then we may seem competitive play be restored. I doubt they're going to remove bloom etc., though.

I tend to do better in AR/Pistol starts than DMR starts just because while everyone can use a DMR at least pretty well, a lot of people really blow with the pistol.

For the most part I agree, but the Magnum is still far more useful than the AR due to headshot capabilities alone. In a 4v4 environment, the only time you're really going to feel overwhelmed is when you're straight up dueling with an AR user. But most of the time you should be moving as a team, team shotting, using your grenades to deplete shields, etc. Being able to headshot for a quicker kill in these situations puts the Magnum ahead in my books.

Barrow Roll said:
For the most part I agree, but the Magnum is still far more useful than the AR due to headshot capabilities alone. In a 4v4 environment, the only time you're really going to feel overwhelmed is when you're straight up dueling with an AR user. But most of the time you should be moving as a team, team shotting, using your grenades to deplete shields, etc. Being able to headshot for a quicker kill in these situations puts the Magnum ahead in my books.
The Magnum's great, but I keep spamming the trigger for some reason. If I had a nickel for every time I popped someone's shields, only to have to reload and not be able to finish him off, I'd have a lot of nickels. They'd be useless to me, since we don't have nickels here, but I'd have a lot of them nonetheless.

As for the TotS run, I haven't even attempted it yet. :lol I'm not in the mood for masochism, no matter what the reward. :p

Tawpgun

Be grateful he even have a useful magnum. AR starts in Halo 3 were the worst. At least with the magnum they're tolerable. Personally, in AR starts, I've started running around with the AR first, switching to pistol if the enemy is far away, or if my AR doesn't finish the job. I've actually recently got a very low level Trigger Man commendation (my first one for matchmaking I believe)

That being said, AR starts is still VERY annoying since you spawn with both weapons that can't kill more than 2 people. AR takes the entire mag, so does pistol.

wwm0nkey

From a CVG interview

Frankie:
"Ultimately the core game mechanic and strength of the universe doesn't need to be changed, it just needs to be taken deeper. We want to make Halo games - we don't want to make Call of Duty or Ridge Racer. We want to make Halo games because we understand what's special about Halo."

Frankie <3

Dani said:
I was in the front Falcon not shooting or taking any damage, I don't deserve the credit but still, wow.
We came sooo close at one point, but one lone Grunt brought down Ghaleon's daughter with a plasma pistol. :-\

I'm gonna attempt this solo. I've watched RC Master's video a couple of times, so I'll give it a shot.

We want to make Halo games because we understand what's special about Halo.

I hope that's the case, but even Bungie - the creators of the series - have struggled to understand what makes Halo, Halo. They've spent considerable effort trying to recapture the feel of the first game with varying degrees of success.

It's very easy to point to specific examples and say "Yeah, that's when I know I'm playing a Halo game", but a coherent definition of what makes a Halo game special isn't the easiest thing to pin down.

Top Bottom