• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Gui_PT

vhfive said:
Isn't that a good thing?

It is for a short while. But then people will rank up like fuck and stop caring about the game(not everyone, of course. Just those who really want to get max rank, which we know is a ton of people)

But it would be nice to get a special weekend playlist that has sweet gametypes like we had in Halo 3.

Circle T said:
Rendering.

Anyone have any other requests? I still have 90 minutes to burn.

If you wouldn't mind, it'd be much appreciated:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15568103&player=Monolith Gui

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=13270337&player=Monolith Gui

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
90% of the people who buy Halo bought it to play multiplayer. GAF here is actually a minority in that (most of us) thoroughly enjoy playing the campaign oftenish. But (aside from Ghal) everyone here plays multiplayer and its the side that everyone really cares about and will spend months of time playing. I don't know what secluded corner you come from, but people usually play games to play with other people. You get that in mp, not ff. If you can enjoy playing the same thing over and over again that's your deal then. Have fun.
87.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
MrBig said:
100% of statistics don't tell the whole truth, represent a fraction of a population, and are used solely to prove a point.
I'd counter that statistics misused further damage the reputation of those that aren't.

To drop the facetiousness for a moment, I think Falagard's use of numbers and line of reasoning here is closer to the mark.

O D I N

Circle T

O D I N said:
No prob. It's rendering now.

Gui_PT said:
Yea, that was quite awesome.

One of my memorable moments was also on Spire Invasion...

https://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=5053004&player=SevenInchScrew

MrBig said:
90% of the people who buy Halo bought it to play multiplayer. GAF here is actually a minority in that (most of us) thoroughly enjoy playing the campaign oftenish. But (aside from Ghal) everyone here plays multiplayer and its the side that everyone really cares about and will spend months of time playing. I don't know what secluded corner you come from, but people usually play games to play with other people. You get that in mp, not ff. If you can enjoy playing the same thing over and over again that's your deal then. Have fun.
I'm sorry if I offended you but im right, or if im not right then you could also not be right but you don't know that for sure. I play with people almost all the time, i just have most of my friends and cousins and we play splitscreen. its a lot more fun to play campaign and firefight and try a lot of interesting new things in the campaign than to play against eachother when theres only 2 or 3 people. I have fast internet but my cousins and a lot of my friends don't and a lot of other people to. like I said 10 million people bought the game and only about 5% play the multiplayer. I play mostly multiplayer when I'm at my place as you can see in my profile but I'm not selfish and understand that bungie needs to make there game first are foremost for the other 9 million fans. maybe they don't play it every week but to say anyone's entitled to their portion of the game being better than the other just because they play more often is selfish.

maybe the campaign and firefight people only play a couple of times a month but they can be even bigger halo fans, maybe they're more busy because they have to work a lot because their poor and that's why they can't buy xbox live and fast internet or maybe they just read the Halo books which are really good.

and thanks to whoever rendered my clip. if anyone wants to check it out, it's right here:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=11751112&player=lakeminatonka

its from a pretty awesome elite game. I like the elite games because you don't get to be an elite in the campaign and in most of the firefight so its like playing Halo 2 where you could be the arbitor. I wish there was more firefight where you can play as an elite but its not online right now.

Domino Theory said:
Mhm. This isn't to say that I'm willing to take cuts in the Campaign for the next Halo because I'm not. Multiplayer simply needs just as much attention.

Luke said it in the ViDOC before the Beta: "Campaign sets an amazing table, but Multiplayer's your meal."

In Reach's case, the most elegant and fanciest table was set as if it came from the greatest 5 star hotel in the country with the meal being a can of rancid beans that was tossed in the microwave for 30 seconds.
There's something to this analogy. To add my two pennies on the matter, I wouldn't personally poo poo the work that Bungie DID on the multiplayer side as I think it's pretty damn great meal overall (aside from the bloom if that's not your cup o' tea). Where it baffles me the most (mainly because no one has explained this), is why game types aren't set up specifically using the appropriate maps as well as using certain load outs in their proper playlists (drop shield in flag, many have brought up). I'm assuming it's not easy but fairly simple to dial in the game settings to pop up in the right maps for them. This doesn't take a three year dev cycle or leech from campaign resources to change or deliver. To stick with the food analogies; instead of them serving rancid beans, it's more they're serving delicious milkshakes and smothering them in ketchup.

Sai-kun

Banned
Gui_PT said:
Son, if we got Double EXP weekends, people would play the shit out of the game. A lot more games than they would normally play.

So that proportionality you're talking about doesn't exist.

I really want a Double cR weekend or something. That would honestly make me play all day. I just don't have as much time as I used to to sink a couple hours into challenges every day, but I still want to rank up :/

O D I N

Sai-kun said:
I really want a Double cR weekend or something. That would honestly make me play all day. I just don't have as much time as I used to to sink a couple hours into challenges every day, but I still want to rank up :/

Maybe we can hope for Double cR Bungie Day.

...urk?

Circle T said:
No prob. It's rendering now.
Thank you, sir.

vhfive

Gui_PT said:
It is for a short while. But then people will rank up like fuck and stop caring about the game(not everyone, of course. Just those who really want to get max rank, which we know is a ton of people)

But it would be nice to get a special weekend playlist that has sweet gametypes like we had in Halo 3.
If there was double exp it wouldn't be the end of the world. You play the game more than anyone else I know and you're only about 1/4th of the way to the max. Meanwhile most people I see playing are usually either brigadier or general which is around 1/10th. I don't think a Double EXP (or credits) playlist every once in a while would be that big of a deal.

Detox

Halo sells on the multiplayer, I would like to see its numbers if it was just a singleplayer game. 343 need to do what the other AAA studios are doing and dedicate a team to the multiplayer as it requires more care and attention then the singleplayer. If you can get your multiplayer sandbox perfect all you need is scenarios for the campaign.

J-Roderton

Detox said:
Halo sells on the multiplayer, I would like to see its numbers if it was just a singleplayer game. 343 need to do what the other AAA studios are doing and dedicate a team to the multiplayer as it requires more care and attention then the singleplayer. If you can get your multiplayer sandbox perfect all you need is scenarios for the campaign.

I'd be interested in seeing a Campaign only Halo in the future.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Domino Theory said:
Mhm. This isn't to say that I'm willing to take cuts in the Campaign for the next Halo because I'm not. Multiplayer simply needs just as much attention.

Luke said it in the ViDOC before the Beta: "Campaign sets an amazing table, but Multiplayer's your meal."

In Reach's case, the most elegant and fanciest table was set as if it came from the greatest 5 star hotel in the country with the meal being a can of rancid beans that was tossed in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Uhg, I just ate some refried beans too, thanks for that.

It's true though.

Gators and UConn advancing. Good, good night.

I wonder if Bungie is going to show anything at E3 this year. On Adam Sessler's "Soapbox," he guessed that we wouldn't hear about Bungie's next project for a year or two.

I just assumed that we would hear something this year.

Account Attempt #4 said:
To stick with the food analogies; instead of them serving rancid beans, it's more they're serving delicious milkshakes and smothering them in ketchup.

Or a succulent, 18 0z, medium-rare steak (glorius netcode, single shot hitscan weapon) and making you eat it with chopsticks (bloom, reduced movement speed and jump height)

Seriously though, I do really like Reach (I've played it a lot since launch), I just think with a few tweaks it could be better/the best. I think the classic playlist will address some of these issues:)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hitmonchan107 said:

I wonder if Bungie is going to show anything at E3 this year. On Adam Sessler's "Soapbox," he guessed that we wouldn't hear about Bungie's next project for a year or two.

If I were a betting man I would bet we hear from 343 before we hear from Bungie.

wwm0nkey

So come the 29th what will you guys play first? I know im going to play the shit out of classic later in the day but I think im going to try power slayer, hockey then speedflag/pile before I go to the classic playlist.

Tawpgun

Lake Minnetonka said:
I'm sorry if I offended you but im right, or if im not right then you could also not be right but you don't know that for sure. I play with people almost all the time, i just have most of my friends and cousins and we play splitscreen. its a lot more fun to play campaign and firefight and try a lot of interesting new things in the campaign than to play against eachother when theres only 2 or 3 people. I have fast internet but my cousins and a lot of my friends don't and a lot of other people to. like I said 10 million people bought the game and only about 5% play the multiplayer. I play mostly multiplayer when I'm at my place as you can see in my profile but I'm not selfish and understand that bungie needs to make there game first are foremost for the other 9 million fans. maybe they don't play it every week but to say anyone's entitled to their portion of the game being better than the other just because they play more often is selfish.

maybe the campaign and firefight people only play a couple of times a month but they can be even bigger halo fans, maybe they're more busy because they have to work a lot because their poor and that's why they can't buy xbox live and fast internet or maybe they just read the Halo books which are really good.

and thanks to whoever rendered my clip. if anyone wants to check it out, it's right here:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=11751112&player=lakeminatonka

its from a pretty awesome elite game. I like the elite games because you don't get to be an elite in the campaign and in most of the firefight so its like playing Halo 2 where you could be the arbitor. I wish there was more firefight where you can play as an elite but its not online right now.

What we're saying... is that the meat of the game is competitive multiplayer. I'd be willing to say even the Firefight Heavy Ghaleon would agree there.

The majority of active players of Halo right now (not the people who bought the game on hype, got to warrant officer, and are now playing BLOPS.) are playing mostly multiplayer.

When I think of Halo I think of two things. An story in an amazing universe I enjoy, and the best console multiplayer experience around.

Also, there's just something annoying about the way you write. I'm just throwing that out there. It's kind of jumbled together, not organized very well. I know this is just an online forum... but eh... I dunno. It's kind of hard to read.

wwm0nkey said:
So come the 29th what will you guys play first? I know im going to play the shit out of classic later in the day but I think im going to try power slayer, hockey then speedflag/pile before I go to the classic playlist.
Classic, fo sho. Could not care less about Action Sack.

Detox

Jroderton said:

A campaign only game set in the Halo universe could be interesting if done right, something along the lines of Mass Effect. Then again I think there's no way 343 will ship any kind of game without multiplayer even Mass Effect seems to be moving towards some sort of multiplayer component.

Lake Minnetonka said:

I just did the math. That statistic is relatively accurate, although it's 8 million copies sold and 500,000 unique players in the past 24 hours.

But that's still half a million players.

Here's the real problem: Those 7.5 million players might not be purely campaign or Firefight fans. To say they were those kinds of players is an assumption that can't be backed up.

They may have bought the game for the multiplayer and didn't like it. It's what happened to my friends, which is especially sad because they're the most fanatical Halo fans I know.

Honestly, getting accepted into NeoGAF is the only reason I've gotten back into Reach.

Also, we don't know if it's the same unique players coming back day after day. It could be completely different groups of 500,000 people playing each day. We don't have the stats on our end to prove that, but I'd guess that more than 5 percent of buyers are still playing multiplayer.

Hey You

Striker said:
Team Flag was necessary in Halo 3 because the god damn Team Objective playlist got removed. I also think they'll edge some things out in Objective eventually and Flag/Bomb will be the premier gametypes. Classic playlist might also get it, assuming it has a healthy population.
Its been over 6 months and there is still a Drop Shield in TO. Along side numerous other things. A straight Team Flag (without stockpile) would be heavenly.

To add to your list, I would say Grifball and Living Dead as well. Living Dead especially as it is not a Competitive playlist, and it could use community maps like it should in the first place.
Nah, put Living Dead in the Community section. Its population has been pretty stable since its debut in October. If it got all community maps (and forged variants of current maps) and increasing the Number of players, I can guarantee more people would play it more often. Including myself.

Karl2177

Hitmonchan107 said:
Honestly, getting accepted into NeoGAF is the only reason I've gotten back into Reach.
I feel the same way. I can't play it on my own anymore, hell I don't even want to bother with matchmaking at all. March 29th may get me interested again. If only Firefight MM wasn't so dang laggy for me.

Hey You

Jroderton said:
ODST sorted fitted that. Except Firefight and a smaller team working on it.

Hitmonchan107 said:

E3's possible when we will get a bone thrown. I hope so.

O D I N

Hey You said:
Nah, put Living Dead in the Community section. Its population has been pretty stable since its debut in October. If it got all community maps (and forged variants of current maps) and increasing the Number of players, I can guarantee more people would play it more often. Including myself.

I agree whole heatedly. I loved Living Dead in Halo 3, but that's also when we had more gametypes and community maps. I haven't touched the playlist in Reach since October. Plus, at 8 (maybe 10?)players, I don't think it's as fun as a full 16 player game. More community maps would make it a better playlist too.

I know there are zombie gametypes and maps out there. Look at Forgehub. Half of the maps/gametypes in the casual Reach forum are Infection based.

A bit big...but niiice

DSC00986.jpg

xxjuicesxx said:
A bit big...but niiice

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n97/xxjuicesxx/DSC00986.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's a sexy controller. *winky face*

[QUOTE=Ramirez]Uh, ODST? Everyone played firefight for a week and went back to Halo 3, lol.[/QUOTE]

No way, man. ODST's Firefight is my favorite Halo series game mode, hands down.

Ramirez

Jroderton said:

Uh, ODST? Everyone played firefight for a week and went back to Halo 3, lol.

Do you guys honestly care about your rank that much in Reach? It means NOTHING, it was fun in Halo 3 because it showed how good you were, all the Reach rank shows is how pathetic you are at cheesing campaign and firefight. Not to mention that all of the armor you can get is all available by the time you hit General, meh.

I thought those types of wristbands were meant to fit pretty snug? Made for 400lb gamers I guess.

Lake Minnetonka said:
anyways i see a lot of people are still complaining and couldnt understand what I was saying last time i came in here but I think it will really help a lot of everyones frustrations with reach and bungie if they just tried. the campaign is better than any other halo and firefight is like an arena version of the campaign with hundreds of different modes so it never gets old.

If you want you can just play arcade mode which is like a really fast action version with rpgs and swords and overshields and it gets crazier than multiplayer can ever get but theres still stragety so you can improve every time. limited is a version where you have to be careful and it may not be as crazy but its just as crazy because you really dont want to die so you work as a team to win its the firefight equivalent of MLG for firefight. then there score attack which is pretty simple your just alone but its still can be fun.

Alot of people hate on firefight and I look at there profile and they barely even play it! so I really suggest if youre playing and getting beat in multiplayer to just try firefight for a few rounds and I gaurantee youll not be angry anymore.

Sorry I realize this is a super long post but i cant help but try when so many people are missing how perfect reach is in most ways. people say that multiplayer is more important but like only not even a million people play it when the game sold ten times that! people who play online pretty much a minority but of course they're the ones complaining online in forums the most because both MP and forums are online. Bungies smarter than you and they know the other 9 people cant afford fast internet or no gold or are too young for online so they made reach perfect for them because if you only have 2 people to play with campaign and firefight are really the only things you can play. so of course bungie makes those perfect and so what if the multiplayer is the worst because you shouldn't be selfish.
You and I are no longer friends.

wwm0nkey said:

It's going to take a tremendous amount of restraint on my part to not head over to the Classic playlist first thing but I am quite interested to see how Power Slayer will turn out. It may be either tons of fun or an unmitigated disaster. I'm also looking forward to finally being able to enjoy a non Invasion game on Breakpoint without having to worry about FRC shots raining down from every direction.

J-Roderton

wwm0nkey said:

Classic all day.

Anything remotely Beaver Creek, I'm down.

A27 Tawpgun said:
What we're saying... is that the meat of the game is competitive multiplayer. I'd be willing to say even the Firefight Heavy Ghaleon would agree there.

The majority of active players of Halo right now (not the people who bought the game on hype, got to warrant officer, and are now playing BLOPS.) are playing mostly multiplayer.

When I think of Halo I think of two things. An story in an amazing universe I enjoy, and the best console multiplayer experience around.

Also, there's just something annoying about the way you write. I'm just throwing that out there. It's kind of jumbled together, not organized very well. I know this is just an online forum... but eh... I dunno. It's kind of hard to read.
I know you guys think the most important thing is the competitive multiplayer is the main thing and thats why im saying your wrong. I mean no one can know for sure but only like 50% of xboxes even have fast internet and a lot of younger people dont play online. it's just you guys seem so convinced that because the multiplayer is pretty bad that it wasn't worth sacrificing it for the single player and firefight when it was obviously successful for bungie to do so

i looked at Ghaleon's profile and it seems like he plays a lot of firefight so he may be able to explain it better than me but bungie made the firefight so perfect and the mechanics like bloom and drop shield make that game so wonderful that its not even funny. its a shame that lots of you guys ignore the portion of the game when bungie put so much effort into it and made it so perfect the game is balanced around it and it shows because of how perfect it is. I think alot of you guys are stuck in the old traditional ways and cant evolve with the times

the reason multiplayer was so popular was because of its replay valvue and the campaign got boring after a while so you had to play multiplayer to make the game last but thats not the case anymore because talented game makers like bungie can program the computer to behave really randomly and always make it interesting. For campaign you can have skulls and different hardness settings to make it play really different all the time or you can even set up neat challenges for yourself like me and my cousins do like trying to steal a banshee or ride a mongoos everywhere!

firefight is like the old competitive multiplayer evolved into something even newer. the cmoputer is really smart and they act like human beings but you don't have to have fast internet or anything and can play with just a few real people against the computer and its just like fighting online. except you can change all these settings like what weapons you start with and how fast you run jump and what kind of enemies. you can make is so there are a ton of hunters at the same time or a good mix that you have to approach with very good strategies. there's a lot more variety in firefight than in multiplayer and you can select the difficulty so its always perfect unlike online games where you can sometimes not even have a chance sometimes.

its pretty clear how importnat microsoft knows firefight is because they made the first ever firefight download map and not even bungie has ever done that. I think for Halo 4 firefight will be the centerpiece while the multiplayer will be more a side thing because firefight modes are really the future of multiplayer.

A27 Tawpgun said:

sorry if I don't write perfectly but to say I write annoying is kinda mean. I thought this was a forum about halo not a forum about being my english teacher. Ill slow down and try harder but i get really excited talking about firefight sometimes I dont know whene to stop!

I don't think I ignore Firefight, 389 games played of it, I just don't think it holds a fucking candle to MM.

Firefight is far from perfect though.

Its embraced by shitty lag, which I don't understand since they usually keep the games as short as a MM game, so I don't get why they use the new MM system they made. Where the reason in ODST for using it was the games were way longer and in turn needed a better system to keep everyone's connection in check after a longer period of time.

Versus mode has been completely ignored...

No skull progression mode...

Most players are usually voting based on challenges or commendations rather than what they really want to play.

and IDLING!

and no mid joins in case your team all decides to leave you after 2 minutes of playing. Its not cooperative.

and Duke losing is making this night even more delicious. FUCK YES.

Ramirez said:
Good lord, just stop it!
Ive been reading this forum and I see you complaining all the time. maybe you'd like me better if all I did was complain about this or that:

oh poor me, the bloom is so bad I'm going to make fun at bungie

I hate the maps I wish i was playing halo 2 so that the maps would be better why can't bungie make good maps

armor lock and jetpack break the flow of the map, it makes game play like poop

well you're probably wrong because I play a lot of the multiplayer and i mean its definitly not good but i see on your profile that you barely play any firefight. no wonder your'r so grumpy all the time. i mean you no disrespect but you could use some firefight in your life

Lake Minnetonka said:
I know you guys think the most important thing is the competitive multiplayer is the main thing and thats why im saying your wrong. I mean no one can know for sure but only like 50% of xboxes even have fast internet and a lot of younger people dont play online. it's just you guys seem so convinced that because the multiplayer is pretty bad that it wasn't worth sacrificing it for the single player and firefight when it was obviously successful for bungie to do so

i looked at Ghaleon's profile and it seems like he plays a lot of firefight so he may be able to explain it better than me but bungie made the firefight so perfect and the mechanics like bloom and drop shield make that game so wonderful that its not even funny. its a shame that lots of you guys ignore the portion of the game when bungie put so much effort into it and made it so perfect the game is balanced around it and it shows because of how perfect it is. I think alot of you guys are stuck in the old traditional ways and cant evolve with the times

the reason multiplayer was so popular was because of its replay valvue and the campaign got boring after a while so you had to play multiplayer to make the game last but thats not the case anymore because talented game makers like bungie can program the computer to behave really randomly and always make it interesting. For campaign you can have skulls and different hardness settings to make it play really different all the time or you can even set up neat challenges for yourself like me and my cousins do like trying to steal a banshee or ride a mongoos everywhere!

firefight is like the old competitive multiplayer evolved into something even newer. the cmoputer is really smart and they act like human beings but you don't have to have fast internet or anything and can play with just a few real people against the computer and its just like fighting online. except you can change all these settings like what weapons you start with and how fast you run jump and what kind of enemies. you can make is so there are a ton of hunters at the same time or a good mix that you have to approach with very good strategies. there's a lot more variety in firefight than in multiplayer and you can select the difficulty so its always perfect unlike online games where you can sometimes not even have a chance sometimes.

its pretty clear how importnat microsoft knows firefight is because they made the first ever firefight download map and not even bungie has ever done that. I think for Halo 4 firefight will be the centerpiece while the multiplayer will be more a side thing because firefight modes are really the future of multiplayer.

This is the last thing I'll say about this.

I didn't have Xbox Live until two years ago.

My friends and I would play 4 v 4 system link every day after school for both Halo 2 and Halo 3.

Access to Xbox Live didn't diminish the quality of the multiplayer.

There's something that Reach lacks that makes it slightly less than the bar I have set for the series' multiplayer. I can't quite quantify it, but it's evident when my friends and I try to play it and get bored or frustrated after a few games.

That said, I'm starting to like it now. I wish my friends would get back into it, especially since I'm three hours away from them, and I have nobody to play with except HaloGAF.

I think stating that other people are "wrong" and calling us "narrow minded" is not a very accessible way to make your case. Opinions cannot be wrong. And nothing we've said (except, "All people who use ARs are noobs,") would make us narrow minded.

Top Bottom