• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Lake Minnetonka said:
well you're probably wrong because I play a lot of the multiplayer and i mean its definitly not good but i see on your profile that you barely play any firefight. no wonder your'r so grumpy all the time. i mean you no disrespect but you could use some firefight in your life
:lol

Halo: Reach, a viable tool against depression/anger/sadness/rage.

Ramirez

Lake Minnetonka said:
Ive been reading this forum and I see you complaining all the time. maybe you'd like me better if all I did was complain about this or that:

oh poor me, the bloom is so bad I'm going to make fun at bungie

I hate the maps I wish i was playing halo 2 so that the maps would be better why can't bungie make good maps

armor lock and jetpack break the flow of the map, it makes game play like poop

well you're probably wrong because I play a lot of the multiplayer and i mean its definitly not good but i see on your profile that you barely play any firefight. no wonder your'r so grumpy all the time. i mean you no disrespect but you could use some firefight in your life

EazyB is that you?

lybertyboy said:
You are dead to me.

You were dead to me when I had to wait like regular bad kids who don't know anything about Halo to play the new maps.

Just kidding, but really how can you like Duke!?

Ramirez said:
EazyB is that you?

The way you've been bitching, I thought you gave EazyB your account details.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Are you an Arizona fan or just a Duke hater?

Either way, +10 kudos.

Arizonas coach reminds me of myself very much.

Ramirez

xxjuicesxx said:
The way you've been bitching, I thought you gave EazyB your account details.

Serious, or joking? I don't even know anymore.

^ Yea dude, he totally owned me, half of the complaints he listed I haven't even commented on, I got so smoked.

Oozer3993

Hitmonchan107 said:
Gators and UConn advancing. Good, good night.

I wonder if Bungie is going to show anything at E3 this year. On Adam Sessler's "Soapbox," he guessed that we wouldn't hear about Bungie's next project for a year or two.

I just assumed that we would hear something this year.

I don't think we're gonna hear anything about it until next year, if that. All we're getting this year are teases like "Wouldn't it be great if we could make a world that was always there for you?" That implies something big, and they've only had a couple months of full studio attention to it.

343, on the other hand, might unveil something this year. They've been around for a couple years now, have been building up a sizable studio, and now have one of the best console game engines around. The time feels right.

Hydranockz said:
:lol

Halo: Reach, a viable tool against depression/anger/sadness/rage.
you laugh but its really true. i think i made people angry but thats not what I wanted to do. just if you really want to stick with multiplayer, play a round of firefight whenever you get mad. like if the games got you so angry and your like bungie why did you put this in its so stupid then just play a round of firefight and you;ll be like, oh, ok, now I understand why its in the game because it works so perfect in firefight.

feel like i made a bad impression maybe because i went too fast with you guys but ill let you guys alone for now and only disturb if your already talking about firefight. I hope at the very least this will get one of you guys to try to play firefight more often because then it will be worse it

i don't play a lot of firefight online because its really laggy but if you guys fast really fast internet maybe it wont be that bad so send me a friend request my name is lakeminatonka and if you look nice ill accept and we can play.

ps- someone took the name i wanted it to be Lake Minnetonka so if you see him send him a message, haha jk

GhaleonEB

I just had the single most intense Firefight game so far. I know I post a lot about Firefight, but Firefight is to me as MLG is to Tashi. It speaks to me.

Zero death full game run on Courtyard, where I score more than all the rest of the team combined. And they weren't bad - we finished with over a dozen spare lives. It was one of those zen games where even in the middle of utter carnage I felt in control of it all.

This was a typical shootout, just long volleys of fire being exchanged. And then that happens (you'll know what), and I literally jumped a foot and a half out of my bean bag. I can't remember the last time I was so startled in a game (probably on my first play through of Condemned). Took me about a minute just to relax again. :lol

I'm *this* close to rendering the entire game so I can look back on it a few years from now and remind myself that yes, Firefight in Reach was the best goddamn thing ever.
Lake Minnetonka said:
and i didn't mean to say you guys were narrowminded i just wanted to point out that you guys shouldn't only play multiplay when all the effort went into camain and firefight. you guys seem pretty cool actually
They should play what they find fun. Halo - and Reach in particular - are huge and people will latch on to different aspects of it. And there's nothing wrong with that.

sorry last post because i didn't mean to be mean to Ram I was just being rough so hopefully he'd see that he had a lot of anger that could be helped by playing firefight

and i didn't mean to say you guys were narrowminded i just wanted to point out that you guys shouldn't only play multiplay when all the effort went into camain and firefight. you guys seem pretty cool actually

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
xxjuicesxx said:
You were dead to me when I had to wait like regular bad kids who don't know anything about Halo to play the new maps.

Just kidding, but really how can you like Duke!?

How can you hate Duke with a sense of entitlement like that?

I'm from North Carolina, and everyone in my family are Duke folks so...

wwm0nkey

Im kind of wondering if in power slayer settings if you can choose what medal gets you special perks. Want to add a killing spree perk :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Lake Minnetonka said:
sorry last post because i didn't mean to be mean to Ram I was just being rough so hopefully he'd see that he had a lot of anger that could be helped by playing firefight

If folks want to play multiplayer and then complain about the aspects of it that annoy them whilst still playing it, it's their choice.

The folks on here that "complain" aren't stupid or annoying. For the most part they are pretty much correct to point out issues that annoy them. HaloGAF is home to folks that have played thousands of games of Halo, 2, 3 and Reach. They are as a hardcore a fan as it gets.

I think the easiest option is to ignore or to dismiss the criticisms rather than face them head on and attempt to engage, explore and address them.

You really shouldn't tell folks they are doing it wrong by not playing a certain gameplay mode over another. People like certain things over others. Some like FF over MM, some like Halo over COD.

Bread

Banned
Breakpoint is awesome! I just played big team snipers on it, and it was a ton of fun. It's like Containment and Waterworks mixed into one.

Hey You

Oozer3993 said:
343, on the other hand, might unveil something this year. They've been around for a couple years now, have been building up a sizable studio, and now have one of the best console game engines around. The time feels right.
I don't think its the right time. They are just getting the keys handed to them for Reach. Announcing another Halo game this year will just get alot of people thinking they are milking the franchise.

Next year, E3 could be Bungie and 343i battling it out :p

wwm0nkey

Hey You said:
I don't think its the right time. They are just getting the keys handed to them for Reach. Announcing another Halo game this year will just get alot of people thinking they are milking the franchise.

Well if Microsoft doesnt announce a Halo for this year they NEED to step up their exclusive department and at least advertise the exclusives unlike what they did with Alan Wake.

I really hope Steel Battalion and Project Draco get a good ad campaign.

neclas

Gui_PT said:
Son, if we got Double EXP weekends, people would play the shit out of the game. A lot more games than they would normally play.

So that proportionality you're talking about doesn't exist.
Ok, yes, the proprtionality I was talking about is out of whack because of this. But does this mean you saying that it's bad that people are playing more?

I know a lot of people on my friends list have given up on reaching such-and-such rank, but DEXP would probably entice them to play again. You say people will stop playing after reaching the max rank, but I've already seen that most people have stopped playing. (Sure, the HaloGAF people play a lot, but that is only a very small subset of people who own Reach.)

Also, I think you are underestimating how long it takes to hit the max rank. To go from Reclaimer to Inheritor alone, it takes 3.5 million cR. If a player hits the daily cR limit every single day, that is still a month (29.167 days). So, even with DEXP weekends, many, many people still would not hit the max rank any time soon.

Oozer3993

Hey You said:

"Milking" a franchise is only in regards to the game's release. They can announce it this year for release in the future. And I only mentioned them announcing something, not necessarily the next full Halo game. You know, something like a Halo 1 remake :p

lybertyboy said:
How can you hate Duke with a sense of entitlement like that?

UPK9F.jpg

Dax01 said:
Dude, do you even play Reach?
I can't handle vehicle combat. It was not a part of Halo that was ingrained in me. I hated big team battle in Halo3 and probably more so in Reach. In Halo2, maybe because of map design, while vehicles were useful, they usually weren't domineering. As a player who preferred to go on foot, I was not automatically at risk of getting killed a hundred times in one game. There were always good ways of getting around without getting caught with my pants down. The games usually had an objective focus, and vehicles were used for that purpose, not to joyride like in Halo3 and Reach. When playing on burial mounds, people didn't ride around in the warthog to try and rack up kills. Instead, the warthog had a purpose in objective games, and likewise all the vehicles in the other various BTB maps, too. In headlong, if you were riding around in a vehicle during a slayer game, usually it meant that you weren't trying to win the game. I guess my preference for vehicles is within objective based games, that are taken seriously, where vehicle aren't given an upper hand. In Reach, the banshee is stupid powerful, as well as the tank, as well as the warthog, as well as pretty much every vehicle in the game. I have no interest in dealing with that in an FPS.
xxjuicesxx said:
lol I feel loved
KevinRo said:
For all you guys putting out scrub montages or just want to see one of the greatest montages ever, here is one from Halo1 on XBC and LAN. This one was made waayyyy before all the current montages you see, and practically spawned the halo montage craze.

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/rippon-halo-1-montage/81031
Oh the memories. The one thought going through my mind during the whole video, other than remembering that xbox connect was crazy laggy, was, "I'm so turned on right now!" That was back when double melees weren't people flailing around like dolphins having sex, and when being good with the sniper rifle actually meant something. But most of all, seeing the pistol in its un-desecrated form was damn near arousing. I was in extreme danger of getting a boner.

Hey You

Oozer3993 said:
"Milking" a franchise is only in regards to the game's release. They can announce it this year for release in the future. And I only mentioned them announcing something, not necessarily the next full Halo game. You know, something like a Halo 1 remake :p
Yeah,but still talking about another halo game when it hasn't even been a year since the last one released will still put that In peoples minds.

Deputy Moonman said:
I can't handle vehicle combat. It was not a part of Halo that was ingrained in me. I hated big team battle in Halo3 and probably more so in Reach. In Halo2, maybe because of map design, while vehicles were useful, they usually weren't domineering. As a player who preferred to go on foot, I was not automatically at risk of getting killed a hundred times in one game. There were always good ways of getting around without getting caught with my pants down. The games usually had an objective focus, and vehicles were used for that purpose, not to joyride like in Halo3 and Reach. When playing on burial mounds, people didn't ride around in the warthog to try and rack up kills. Instead, the warthog had a purpose in objective games, and likewise all the vehicles in the other various BTB maps, too. In headlong, if you were riding around in a vehicle during a slayer game, usually it meant that you weren't trying to win the game. I guess my preference for vehicles is within objective based games, that are taken seriously, where vehicle aren't given an upper hand. In Reach, the banshee is stupid powerful, as well as the tank, as well as the warthog, as well as pretty much every vehicle in the game. I have no interest in dealing with that in an FPS.
I love how you continuously post in here about Reach and all the things you despise about it. I don't know if you still even play the game but if you don't, why do you still need to inform us of your opinions and if you do still play, why do you if you get zero enjoyment from it?

Plenty of people have issues with Reach but there is some element of Halo that keeps those people playing... It seems like you have no fun with this game.

Thermite

Ramirez said:
Serious, or joking? I don't even know anymore.

^ Yea dude, he totally owned me, half of the complaints he listed I haven't even commented on, I got so smoked.

Sorry, this post is too negative for me to read.

GhaleonEB

Hydranockz said:
I love how you continuously post in here about Reach and all the things you despise about it. I don't know if you still even play the game but if you don't, why do you still need to inform us of your opinions and if you do still play, why do you if you get zero enjoyment from it?

Plenty of people have issues with Reach but there is some element of Halo that keeps those people playing... It seems like you have no fun with this game.
He plays the game a shitload. 14 games today alone. 30 (!!) games yesterday. I'd assumed he stopped playing the game when he called a piece of shit a few months ago, but apparently he likes pieces of shit. Me, if I don't like a game I stop playing it an move on. Some people are a glutton for punishment or something.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So there's this guy I used to play Halo 3 with like 2 years ago. He stopped playing or started CoD or whatever but anyway we hadn't played for the longest time. I removed him from my list to make room. He added me a few months ago, I left him in limbo for a while and then I think declined them. He messaged me yesterday asking to play and all this shit. I didn't reply.

I just matched with him on my team in MLG. LOL. I had my mic off thankfully. I just removed someone and added him again -_____-

Circle T

GhaleonEB said:
I'm *this* close to rendering the entire game so I can look back on it a few years from now and remind myself that yes, Firefight in Reach was the best goddamn thing ever.
For a fellow Hawkeye, I'll gladly do that, if you want. Just let me know.

GhaleonEB said:
He plays the game a shitload. 14 games today alone. 30 (!!) games yesterday. I'd assumed he stopped playing the game when he called a piece of shit a few months ago, but apparently he likes pieces of shit. Me, if I don't like a game I stop playing it an move on. Some people are a glutton for punishment or something.
So much for literally burning his cd. That's the kind of 'blind' fanboyism I hate. He loves Bungie too much to walk away from a game he couldn't complain more about... Am I missing something?

GhaleonEB

Hydranockz said:
So much for literally burning his cd. That's the kind of 'blind' fanboyism I hate. He loves Bungie too much to walk away from a game he couldn't complain more about... Am I missing something?
Oh man. I'd forgotten about that post.

Deputy Moonman said:
I gave Reach another chance. Played it for a few days. Now I'm done. Hate it with a passion. Cannot fathom what the dumbasses were thinking when they designed the game. I may even burn the copy of the disc and post of a video of it on youtube. Shit I may even burn the crappy ass statue that comes with the Legendary edition too, and the journal. Then I think I will microwave nuke the disc case.
That was 15 days ago. He played over 40 multiplayer games the past two days, and nearly 200 match made competitive MP games since that post.

I was looking forward to the youtube video! :lol

Kujo

Lake Minnetonka said:
I think for Halo 4 firefight will be the centerpiece while the multiplayer will be more a side thing because firefight modes are really the future of multiplayer.
FF has what, at most 5% of the population at any given time. But hey, maybe there are a million offline players playing firefight each day right. Regardless, I think most people prefer playing against real humans than CPU AI

GhaleonEB said:
Oh man. I'd forgotten about that post.

That was 15 days ago. He played over 40 multiplayer games the past two days, and nearly 200 match made competitive MP games since that post.

I was looking forward to the youtube video! :lol
I went through at least 10 pages of his game history and I was still in March. Game must suck bawls.

Edit: Only 15 days? You had me fooled... was wondering how you guessed 151 hahaha.

Deputy Moonman said:
In Reach, the banshee is stupid powerful, as well as the tank, as well as the warthog, as well as pretty much every vehicle in the game. I have no interest in dealing with that in an FPS.
LOLWHUT.

Vehicle combat in Reach blows, I don't know what you're talking about. The Warthog is not underpowered; it blows up just by looking at it. If your team is getting dominated by a Banshee then your team sucks at team-shotting or your sniper got stolen.

Yes, Scorpion is overpowered, but hasn't it always been? That wasn't rhetorical, I really want to know if the Scorpion has always been overpowered. I never encountered it all that much in Halo 3 matchmaking and while I played a crapload of Halo 2 on my friends Xbox, I never actually owned the game until right before Halo 3's release when I got a 360.

I don't take issue with the rest of your post.

GhaleonEB said:
Here's the deal. I play the game, because I have nothing better to do at the moment. I've been working overnight a bunch and when I'm not working, there aren't a whole lot of people to hang out with at 3-5am. Halo: Reach still has the feel of Halo, and is the closest thing to what I like in a first person shooter. It just has the shittiest weapon settings out of all the previous Halo games, and extra mechanics that I plain out hate. But I continue to play, hoping that I can find some balance in the game that is rewarding to me. I can avoid vehicles by staying out of BTB. But there is no reward for using precision weapons in Reach, absolutely none. I don't like using the assault rifle because I think it's stupid, and I don't like using power weapons on a regular basis because I think doing so is cheap. I'm a purist, I guess.

I tell myself, okay whatever, I'll keep playing. And some games are fun, but most are a constant reminder that unless I'm willing to use power weapons, the assault rifle, and armor lock on a regular basis, I'm going to be raped consistently. I'm like a dog that returns to its own vomit to eat. I can't help it.

I'm also broke right now, so there isn't much hope of buying another game to fill my time. Even if I could, what's out there? Maybe it's a testament to Bungie's talent when they can keep a player playing who abhors a good chunk of their game. Most of my anger venting and frustration isn't because I like to hate on the game, it's because I see what could have been the best Halo since Halo:CE. Instead, we have wonky bloom, weak precision weapons, and armor abilities that seriously demoralize. I can't help it half of the time; the complaints just come out. Who asked for any of these odd changes, except for the addition of some cool new armor abilities? I can concede the abilities, but I would make a playlist without them or at least only some of them ASAP.

I think a playlist without the assault rifle, no armor abilities, and slightly buffed precision weapons would make me happy, or at least boost the power of the precision weapons while leaving the assault rifle as is. I have seen talk of a classic playlist. That would be good.

In my own non-professional and unwanted opinion: Never, ever make a first person shooter that tells people their shots aren't hitting, simply because they fire the trigger too quickly. If I'm good at aiming and firing quick shots, don't take that away from me or anyone. It's a slap in the face.

Anyway, at some point I'll probably take a break again, and people will get a break from my complaints.

Deputy Moonman said:
In my own non-professional and unwanted opinion: Never, ever make a first person shooter that tells people their shots aren't hitting, simply because they fire the trigger too quickly. If I'm good at aiming and firing quick shots, don't take that away from me or anyone. It's a slap in the face.
This is 100% truth.

Destroying kids with the G3 in CoD4 and having them cry "MODDED CONTROLLER" felt so good.

Bread

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
I don't know about you guys, but I love the bloom on the DMR. It rewards patience and skill in keeping your reticule over the enemy even when you can't shoot. There's nothing better than taking out an enemy in 4 slow shots as they miss constantly because they can't time it right. Maybe it's just because I've gotten pretty good with it, but I prefer it over the H2 BR now.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Oozer3993 said:
"Milking" a franchise is only in regards to the game's release. They can announce it this year for release in the future.

Yep and they've done that for every Halo after CE:

Halo 2: Announced August 2002, released November 2004
Halo 3: Annunced May 2006, released September 2007
Halo 3: ODST: Announced October 2008, released September 2009
Halo Wars: Announced September 2006, released March 2009
Halo: Reach: Announced June 2009, released September 2010

and if you take into account what Phil Spencer said about Halo releases, I'm guessing a Halo 4 announcement at E3 2011 with a Fall 2012 release.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Domino Theory said:
Yep and they've done that for every Halo after CE:

Halo 2: Announced August 2002, released November 2004
Halo 3: Annunced May 2006, released September 2007
Halo 3: ODST: Announced October 2008, released September 2009
Halo Wars: Announced September 2006, released March 2009
Halo: Reach: Announced June 2009, released September 2010

and if you take into account what Phil Spencer said about Halo releases, I'm guessing a Halo 4 announcement at E3 2011 with a Fall 2012 release.

Yup, I'm expecting an outsourced announcement trailer. No gameplay and a big tease that gives nothing away except for the fact that the Chief is back.

We might get lucky with a surprise like Halo CEmake or something else, maybe more Reach DLC or a Mister Chief game.
Or Halo Wars 2

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dani said:
Yup, I'm expecting an outsourced announcement trailer. No gameplay and a big tease that gives nothing away except for the fact that the Chief is back.

We might get lucky with a surprise like Halo CEmake or something else, maybe more Reach DLC or a Mister Chief game.
Or Halo Wars 2

If the CE remake is real, I can see them announcing it and showing it off at E3 2011 and then do what Joseph Staten did in '09 and say "but that's not all, 343 Industries has been hard at work on a top secret project" and announce Halo 4.

Ramirez

Hydranockz said:

He bought the game, he's entitled to complain and play as much as he wants. I play the game nightly here lately, probably play it more than 90% of the people in this thread, yet I get labeled as some kind of miserable pile of secrets, but whatever. The sad fact of it is, there simply isn't anything else to play that is similar in style to Halo, I'm hoping Gears 3 actually pulls through this go around, I won't hold my breath though.

Bread said:
I don't know about you guys, but I love the bloom on the DMR. It rewards patience and skill in keeping your reticule over the enemy even when you can't shoot. There's nothing better than taking out an enemy in 4 slow shots as they miss constantly because they can't time it right. Maybe it's just because I've gotten pretty good with it, but I prefer it over the H2 BR now.

You're so good with it that you've taken away one of the bullets needed to kill someone.

Pollux

Domino Theory said:
If the CE remake is real, I can see them announcing it and showing it off at E3 2011 and then do what Joseph Staten did in '09 and say "but that's not all, 343 Industries has been hard at work on a top secret project" and announce Halo 4.

Dear god I hope so.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Domino Theory said:

The "one more thing" approach facilitates maximum hype. I approve.

Pollux

Mojo said:
I hope CE remake contains the opening level, but then switches to Arbiter missions for the rest of the game

That would make no sense, there are no Arbiter missions in CE...maybe i'm missing something b/c its 4am and I'm exhausted.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A few cutscenes at the end with Thel would be a nice bonus. It wouldn't change the game in any way but allow it to connect into Halo more naturally.

Genesis Knight said:
Did the custom game glitch for the new achievements get patched?

Not going to be.

Top Bottom