• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Bread

Banned
So I was playing MLG on Countdown a bunch of times last night (because that's all people vote for I guess) and at the beginning of a match all 4 people on each team just stood near the spawn and had an epic 4v4 DMR battle. That shit should happen at the beginning of every match, it was fucking awesome. It's basically an honor duel to start the match.

edit: my bad on the last page, I said 4 shots I guess I mean 5, but that doesn't change the fact that I love the DMR.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Bread said:
So I was playing MLG on Countdown a bunch of times last night (because that's all people vote for I guess) and at the beginning of a match all 4 people on each team just stood near the spawn and had an epic 4v4 DMR battle. That shit should happen at the beginning of every match, it was fucking awesome. It's basically an honor duel to start the match.

edit: my bad on the last page, I said 4 shots I guess I mean 5, but that doesn't change the fact that I love the DMR.
Lolol that's funny shit. I always go towards rockets immediately.

Louis Wu

ncsuDuncan said:
I've noticed that I almost exclusively use the Sprint AA now.
I do the same. Not because of Armor Lock hate, really - just because I suck with all the other AAs. :)

Played a game of BTB on Boneyard last night - that map is WAAAY too friggin' big (and has too much spread-out cover) for Armor Lock to be a good idea. I only had 9 or 10 kills - but more than half of them were me in a Ghost, waiting out some idiot armorlocker so I could plasma him to death. On small maps, having your friends cover your ass while you're locked is not only feasible, but easy. On large maps (especially debris-strewn ones like Boneyard)... you're just gonna die.

I got killed ONCE during this process - a teammate in a hog accidentally pushed me into the armorlocker, blowing me up. :)

GhaleonEB said:
And then that happens (you'll know what), and I literally jumped a foot and a half out of my bean bag. I can't remember the last time I was so startled in a game (probably on my first play through of Condemned). Took me about a minute just to relax again. :lol

I haven't played firefight limited yet but I think you just convinced me to give it a try. That was insane!

Striker

Plywood said:
It's amazing how ruined BTB/Objective is.
Objective is fine for the most part. Just needs Drop Shield removed mainly.

BTB is in dire need of a gametype makeover. It's hilarious how badly its managed right now. Give it straight Slayer, Assault, and CTF with a hint of Territories and it'll be back into form. And remove Countdown and Drop Shields. Silly ideas in the first place. How did those come up in the board meeting?

"Hey guys, what maps do you think we should add for BTB?"
"Well, Hemorrhage and Paradiso, of course. Our only BTB launch maps. Throw in Spire and Boneyard too, but let's not fiddle too much with those, they're more important for Invasion ™.And throw in Countdown, why? Why not!"

Hey You said:
Hmm Another Community position opened up at Bungie. Glad to see Bungie wants to strength its relation with its community and focus more on it.
Did I miss out on whatever happened to Mancannon/Sketch? Haven't seen or heard from him in forever and he's not listed on the 'meet the team' page (neither is urk, though); did I miss out on some crucial info?

Striker said:

BTB is in dire need of a gametype makeover. It's hilarious how badly its managed right now. Give it straight Slayer, Assault, and CTF with a hint of Territories and it'll be back into form. And remove Countdown and Drop Shields. Silly ideas in the first place. How did those come up in the board meeting?

"Well, Hemorrhage and Paradiso, of course. Our only BTB launch maps. Throw in Spire and Boneyard too, but let's not fiddle too much with those, they're more important for Invasion ™.And throw in Countdown, why? Why not!"

Give the people who care about this on this forum a weekend and it will be fixed.

Problem solved

(All Playlist Issues)

Shake Appeal said:
Hey, I'm qualified for this.

I guess they probably don't trifle with non-US applicants, though.

Go for it anyway! Just offer up a Skype interview or whatever in case they decide they want to chat.

Also, you know, be prepared for a major life change if they do happen to pick you.

Raide

Hey You said:
Hmm Another Community position opened up at Bungie. Glad to see Bungie wants to strength its relation with its community and focus more on it.

Might apply but I am a little way off. I did apply for the Community Content position but being from the UK, I can see it being nearly impossible. :D

Hitmonchan107 said:

I actually work in a Sweet Shop and get to taste sweets and ice-cream all summer. :p

Hey You

squidhands said:
Did I miss out on whatever happened to Mancannon/Sketch? Haven't seen or heard from him in forever and he's not listed on the 'meet the team' page (neither is urk, though); did I miss out on some crucial info?
No idea. He hasn't been on BNet since last year. urk mentioned he was in Disney land last year, nothing since.

There's still another community position open that sounds alot like what urk is currently doing. So maybe Sketch left, urk taking over his job and Bungie's hiring to fill urks shoes.

Shake Appeal said:
Hey, I'm qualified for this.

I guess they probably don't trifle with non-US applicants, though.

If you will to relocate, then go for it! If not, I wouldn't waste my time if I were you.

ncsuDuncan said:
I've noticed that I almost exclusively use the Sprint AA now. Playing Reach with friends, they've started agreeing with my Armor Lock hate.
"If it's so overpowered, why don't you use it yourself?"
All I can think of is the last time I used AL to save my ass and rob someone of a kill.
*throws lightsaber into the chasm*
"Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Don't want to start another Armor Lock debate, but people always talk about if it is "overpowered" or not. It's not overpowered, its just a flat out bad gameplay mechanic, doesn't matter how powerful it is.

in order to make armor lock balanced with the rest of the AA, is that the length of time able to use is determined by your shields. the longer your in it, the more your shields go down. if your gonna save your life, you need to sacrifice something in return.

xxjuicesxx said:
Yeah! they should totally hire someone who would be in charge of editing those playlists like BTB and objective...

o wait! they actually have a guy whos actual job is to do that.
...and co.
what does that mean Urk?!
BTW, I'd totally download and play Juices-league settings if you were to go through the trouble of creating a map/game type set worthy of replacing the standard Matchmaking fare. At least a nice 4v4 set, anyway. Do eeet mang!

Tashi0106 said:
Does it hurt to try?
It can definetly hurt to try I've applyed for many positions within bungie but they barely even respond so its like they ignore me even though I keep applyixng and by now im just embarassed for applying but if you think you can get the job no trouble than sure apply so that you. Can work for bungie and we would all know you!

Bread said:

That extra shot makes a hell of a difference.

if they just added one annoyance, I could deal with it. But it's 5 shots to kill, its bloom, its small clips for precision weapons, its armor lock evade and sprint, its the broken assist system, its the power weapon and full-auto weapon balancing... you put all this together and I feel like I'm never in control of the game.

Striker said:

I don't understand why at least one of Forge World's areas couldn't have been a big, flat, rectangle like Sandbox. That could have given BTB a huge number of maps (just from people remaking their Halo 3 stuff) with minimal effort from Bungie. Instead all of the forgeworld areas have so much environmental personality that there's basically nothing to do with them unless you put your construction up in the air. Which doesn't really work well for b2b especially if you don't want to have a crippled frame rate.

Account Attempt #4 said:
I am thouroughly amused by the turn this thread has taken. Did Lake just own Ram for complaining on the last page lol? Holy moley.

Im sorry but Lakes posts make me lol.

"Hey guys, I know you got really hyped and brought Halo Reach to play against other players and have the awesome type of fun that only Halo multiplayer provides but since Halo Reach multiplayer is lacking, lower your standards and just play against the AI! I know you have probably done that a few hundred times since the game came out anyway, but theres no need to complain that the multiplayer portion is lacking, because another totally unrelated mode rocks!!!!"

Dude, historically Halo to me has been about the multiplayer. Why would I care if Campaign is awesome 6 months down the line and like 10 runs through it? Why would I care if Firefight is awesome if im interested in playing competitively with and against friends? Hell even when we play splitscreen we tend to just do 2v2's against eachother, Firefights a fun mode, but isn't a replacement for traditional multiplayer. So Mr Lake I am going to continue complaining about the portion of the game im most interested in... but thank you I will continue to have fun in Firefight when im in the mood for it. :)

xxjuicesxx said:
My dream job is probably lead tester, although if I was ever there I'd end up hating it I bet.
Probably. My brother-in-law was a tester for a long time, and he ended up hating it.

Lake Minnetonka said:
It can definetly hurt to try I've applyed for many positions within bungie but they barely even respond so its like they ignore me even though I keep applyixng and by now im just embarassed for applying but if you think you can get the job no trouble than sure apply so that you. Can work for bungie and we would all know you!
I hope you applied with better grammar and syntax than what you've been gracing with us here. Good lord, dude...

GhaleonEB

Really hoping to see some Firefight updates in the BWU today. Wish list:

Enable booting (seriously)

Disable weapon pick up in Arcade

Removal of voting round limitation in Score Attack

Some new game type hotness

Refreshed mix of enemies in Limited

I'll be happy with anything, though. Last week's update has me nervous there will be no April Firefight update.

Edit: that GAF montage really brings me back. Loved Halo 3's MP so much.

GhaleonEB said:
I think a lot of the problems with Reach's - and Halo 3's - spawning systems had to do with neutral spawns. Most (but not all) team games play better with dedicated team spawns. So long as there is a good number of them and several distinct areas to spawn at, spawn traps won't occur often. I too don't really understand why neutral ones are being used more often, as they tend to cause more problems.

On Tempest Slayer the other day I was holding down the front area of a base I started at - by the man cannon - and the other team spawned in behind me. That kind of thing just shouldn't be happening.
I think the spawns are good because some maps you can't spawn anywhere but your one base and when that happens its too easy to know where you'll spawn so the other team can attack you and you don't even have a chance which sucks. I like when it spawns you everywhere so the other team has to search around the map and it makes hiding easier especially if you want to be sneaking and surprise attack people looking for you

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GhaleonEB said:
Disable weapon pick up in Arcade
F5tUh.jpg

Lake Minnetonka said:
I think the spawns are good because some maps you can't spawn anywhere but your one base and when that happens its too easy to know where you'll spawn so the other team can attack you and you don't even have a chance which sucks. I like when it spawns you everywhere so the other team has to search around the map and it makes hiding easier especially if you want to be sneaking and surprise attack people looking for you
Who is urk?

Louis Wu said:
I do the same. Not because of Armor Lock hate, really - just because I suck with all the other AAs. :)

Played a game of BTB on Boneyard last night - that map is WAAAY too friggin' big (and has too much spread-out cover) for Armor Lock to be a good idea. I only had 9 or 10 kills - but more than half of them were me in a Ghost, waiting out some idiot armorlocker so I could plasma him to death. On small maps, having your friends cover your ass while you're locked is not only feasible, but easy. On large maps (especially debris-strewn ones like Boneyard)... you're just gonna die.

I got killed ONCE during this process - a teammate in a hog accidentally pushed me into the armorlocker, blowing me up. :)

Heh, my one and only "Sunday Driver" medal in matchmaking was on Boneyard. The only reason I died was when I spotted a guy shooting at me, clearly baiting me to try Armor-locking. He didn't fool me for a second, but as I was backing away I got caught on the environment and that gave him enough time to run up and board me.

I'll post the clip when I get the chance, it was one of my greatest runs in the Ghost in Reach. Took me back to my Halo 2 splatter sprees on Relic when I could maintain Rocket Launcher control.

Lake Minnetonka said:
Who is urk?

Thank you for this. I haven't chuckled like this all day.

To answer your question, Urk is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything. Also I think he recently formed babby.

GloveSlap

Lead Based Paint said:
GEEZ GUYS quit complaining about such trivial stuff!

I means its only the entire objective side of the game that has been broken; thats not big deal!

Come on guys! Losing the game while arming the bomb or being in front of the flag score over and over again is not that big of a deal!

I have a thought. I feel as if armor abilities and bloom contradict each other to the point of frustration. aka my frustration with bloom.
Bloom asks us to pace our shots and be more careful when taking them, ensuring a good kill. But then you say this while implementing 2 armor abilities; one that rolls in varying directions(rarely consistent in direction and velocity) and sprint which allows to to run very fast away from someone.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

These two armor abilities are actively working to undermine bloom and piss people off. (Still don't know why evade is even a human ability, you guys hard it right in the beta.)

Yeah, that is the main problem with bloom-there simply isn't time to pace your shots. With the addition of bloom and AAs, Reach should have had the fastest kill times in the Halo series. Instead, it has the longest. It is completely faulty logic on Bungie's part.

Hey guys isn't master chief white. Ecause my cousins say nobody knows because he doesn't take his helmet off but I read in the halo book that he is a red hair and I told them that mexicans can't be red haired and only white people can

Lake Minnetonka said:
Hey guys isn't master chief white. Ecause my cousins say nobody knows because he doesn't take his helmet off but I read in the halo book that he is a red hair and I told them that mexicans can't be red haired and only white people can

slowclap.gif

kylej

Banned
HaloGAF montage was pretty good. I should really go through my saved films and make a Halo 3 BTB donging montage. Hell I could probably make a Valhalla Dongtage. So many tears shed by scrubs in H3. The level of taunting that took place is scarcely believable.

halo3_24430802_Full(1).jpg

halo3_26066838_Full.jpg

halo3_29680293_Full.jpg

Lake Minnetonka said:

Okay, now I'm convinced this is a joke account.

Urk, is that you?

Sai-kun

Banned
Lake Minnetonka said:

cfDNU.png

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
kylej said:
HaloGAF montage was pretty good. I should really go through my saved films and make a Halo 3 BTB donging montage. Hell I could probably make a Valhalla Dongtage. So many tears shed by scrubs in H3. The level of taunting that took place is scarcely believable.

http://escapedintothewaves.com/uploads/halo3_24430802_Full(1).jpg
http://escapedintothewaves.com/uploads/halo3_26066838_Full.jpg
http://escapedintothewaves.com/uploads/halo3_29680293_Full.jpg
It's weird but to me the pictures taken in Halo 3 always seem to look better than those taken in Reach. I think it's in part cause of the lighting and also because of the new rough look they have in Reach versus the clean, smooth look in Halo 3. Also some nice trolling there kyle.
Lake Minnetonka said:
You are a lake, you can't even be near a computer without ruining it your argument is invalid.

Louis Wu

ncsuDuncan said:
Heh, my one and only "Sunday Driver" medal in matchmaking was on Boneyard. The only reason I died was when I spotted a guy shooting at me, clearly baiting me to try Armor-locking. He didn't fool me for a second, but as I was backing away I got caught on the environment and that gave him enough time to run up and board me.
You made me go back and grab this; I didn't get a lot of splatters in that game (this, in fact, may be the only one) but there's really nothing more satisfying than splattering an ArmorLocker whose juice has run out. :) (Would've had two, but the second guy croaked from plasma as I got to him.)

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15708086

Dug

Banned
Lake Minnetonka said:
AiWts.jpg

Louis Wu said:
You made me go back and grab this; I didn't get a lot of splatters in that game (this, in fact, may be the only one) but there's really nothing more satisfying than splattering an ArmorLocker whose juice has run out. :) (Would've had two, but the second guy croaked from plasma as I got to him.)

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15708086

Yeah, as much as I hate Armor Lock, I do think it's a nice gameplay addition to have something that protects you from splatters.

I do not like that it instantly kills the Ghost/Warthog/etc. that tried to splatter you. I'd much prefer it if it did a little non-fatal damage and the Armor Locker can skillfully use the EMP to disable (and then board/destroy) the vehicle.

Regardless, you're right about how satisfying it is to splatter an exhausted Armor Locker when he fails to trick you. Just like when someone tries to fake you with a Hologram and you aren't fooled for a second.

Kuroyume

Banned
Regarding the tank on Paradiso discussion earlier... Just an example of why vehicles suck. I've only played a few games on there because of how awful the BTB options are in this game but I recall playing a few games on there where it was mostly DMR/Needle Rifle vs the other weapons and it played really well. The second you have Banshees and Tanks taking over the game then it's completely ruined. Vehicles have been so awful after Halo 2. They completely ruin the game. Not to mention the occasional game where you get an attention whore idiot who just rides around with a mongoose the entire time because he thinks it's cute.

I want to see the Defiant playlist only feature the Defiant maps. I just don't understand what's the point of having playlists for each map pack if the other map pack comes up as an option. What is the point? Seriously? It's like back in Halo 3 when the Legendary map pack came out and they then decided to add the sand map and crap Valhalla to the playlist. For a while it was just Avalanche and Avalanche and Avalanche and Avalanche and Avalanche and... It was so freaking good. They had to ruin it though because that's what Bungie does.

Not that I will play any other playlist other than Defiant and Classic but how about giving Multi Team back its team size and removing Rocket Hog Race? Played that shit for the first time recently and wow... Complete junk. Didn't think Bungie could make something worse than Rocket Race but they did it. Wow. That's the type of stuff that leaves you scratching your head. People bitch for a long time about Rocket Race being in Multi Team and Bugnie's response is to create another shitty Race type and dump it in there? Why? Who asked for that? Who asked for the team size to be increased? I don't understand.

Top Bottom