• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

HBO is having Classic Customs tonight.

I wish we could do an HBO vs. HaloGAF Classic Customs brawl.

And for those of you who are on both sites: Pick a side. We're at war.
I kid. ;^)

Louis, assemble your crew. I'll be outside.

Account Attempt #4 said:
...and co.
what does that mean Urk?!
BTW, I'd totally download and play Juices-league settings if you were to go through the trouble of creating a map/game type set worthy of replacing the standard Matchmaking fare. At least a nice 4v4 set, anyway. Do eeet mang!

I think maybe I will try this.

Hitmonchan107 said:
HBO is having Classic Customs tonight.

I wish we could do an HBO vs. HaloGAF Classic Customs brawl.

And for those of you who are on both sites: Pick a side. We're at war.
I kid. ;^)

Ooh, that's tough. I've been lurking HBO since around... 2002-ish.
Only started lurking GAF around 2009...

Still, I probably post more here on HaloGAF nowadays, if only because it's easier to follow the conversation of 1 Halo thread vs. an entire Halo forum.
That, and most HBO threads are commenting on external links/videos I can't watch at work.

Haven't touched the B.net forums in years, and I only recently registered at Waypoint and GrifballHub.

Striker

Kuroyume said:
People bitch for a long time about Rocket Race being in Multi Team and Bugnie's response is to create another shitty Race type and dump it in there? Why?
You need to join when I invite you! Don't get frustrated playing alone. foreveralone.jpg

As for this quote above, answer is simple: Bungie made it an Achievement

With them changing Multi-team, I had figured they would bring in Foundation and Warlock maps and insert CTF for it, or a Neutral Bomb variant.

bobs99 ... said:
Im sorry but Lakes posts make me lol.
Goddamnit.
I swear I know how to spell 'thoroughly'. There, redeemed.
I suspect English is not the first language of this user, whatever the case may be... please don't change.

If I may be so bold: aside from the rest of it I think what you may be trying to say Lake is that Bungie tunes the game mechanics to campaign and, by proxy Firefight, to be satisfactory. Spartan vs. AI gameplay seems pretty solid and scales quite nicely in difficulty and execution. Spartan vs. Spartan doesn't carry over the same smooth balance of mechanics because at it's heart it wasn't designed this way from the get go. Did I get you right in stating it this way? I may be wrong but if I am than you can be wrong too and Bungie is perfect and smarter than us anyway.:p

Willeth

Lake Minnetonka said:
Hey guys isn't master chief white. Ecause my cousins say nobody knows because he doesn't take his helmet off but I read in the halo book that he is a red hair and I told them that mexicans can't be red haired and only white people can
This is going to blow your mind, but Master Chief's race probably can't be classified by anything we talk about at the moment. He'll be born more than five hundred years from now on a different planet entirely, and it's safe to assume that our current thinking of race won't be relevant.

He has white skin (and it's undoubtedly really pale from all the time spent in the SPARTAN armour), and either red or brown hair, depending on who you talk to, and freckles. But he was born and raised by parents that we don't know much about on a planet called Eridanus II, and they could be any mixture of any number of distinct races that we have on Earth today.

It's more likely that people's notion of race in five hundred years, after we colonise other planets, will be rooted in what planet their family was from rather than what country on Earth, as well as how closely you could trace yourself back to Earth - whether you were fourth- or fifth-generation, for example. It'd be based on time rather than origin, and people would identify with whatever planet you could associate with strongest. Imagine you're in military school, but your parents were from Troy and it just got blown to pieces last week. That carries a lot of clout, the same way as Americans have family ties to Ireland or Italy.

So, yeah. Master Chief, on a base level, is 'white'. But it doesn't mean anything like what you think it means.

MrBig

Willeth said:
This is going to blow your mind, but Master Chief's race probably can't be classified by anything we talk about at the moment. He'll be born more than five hundred years from now on a different planet entirely, and it's safe to assume that our current thinking of race won't be relevant.

He has white skin (and it's undoubtedly really pale from all the time spent in the SPARTAN armour), and either red or brown hair, depending on who you talk to, and freckles. But he was born and raised by parents that we don't know much about on a planet called Eridanus II, and they could be any mixture of any number of distinct races that we have on Earth today.

It's more likely that people's notion of race in five hundred years, after we colonise other planets, will be rooted in what planet their family was from rather than what country on Earth, as well as how closely you could trace yourself back to Earth - whether you were fourth- or fifth-generation, for example. It'd be based on time rather than origin, and people would identify with whatever planet you could associate with strongest. Imagine you're in military school, but your parents were from Troy and it just got blown to pieces last week. That carries a lot of clout, the same way as Americans have family ties to Ireland or Italy.

So, yeah. Master Chief, on a base level, is 'white'. But it doesn't mean anything like what you think it means.
His post was a troll...

Willeth

MrBig said:
His post was a troll...
I don't mind either way. If so, I got a chance to think about the fiction and the characters involved. If not, I actually answered the question, unlike you jokers.

Joking all the time.

Tawpgun

I've been meaning to be somewhat active on HBO, but their style of "forum" confuse the hell out of me...

Anyway, what are the plans for tomorrows customs? Classic for practice? Or minigame shenanigans?

MrBig

Wu do you delete inactive HBO accounts? I made an account a while and I was unable to log into it.

are your forum mechanics set up the way they are to purposely scare people away?

Willeth

Account Attempt #4 said:
Can Sgt. Johnson still be black? Or was he ever? <mind blown>
Johnson was actually born in the US, though. So African-American would probably suit him just fine, but it's a term that would probably have dissolved into nothingness and instead he'd just be 'first-generation Earth', and we'd be at the point where labels like 'black' and 'white' wouldn't mean anything. Hell, we're almost at that point now.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27 Tawpgun said:
I've been meaning to be somewhat active on HBO, but their style of "forum" confuse the hell out of me...

Anyway, what are the plans for tomorrows customs? Classic for practice? Or minigame shenanigans?

It's never "minigame shenanigans". It will be a mix of standard and Classic, Slayer and Objective. Classic maps, standard, Noble and Defiant.

Willeth said:
Johnson was actually born in the US, though. So African-American would probably suit him just fine, but it's a term that would probably have dissolved into nothingness and instead he'd just be 'first-generation Earth', and we'd be at the point where labels like 'black' and 'white' wouldn't mean anything. Hell, we're almost at that point now.

"Terran"?

MrBig said:
Wu do you delete inactive HBO accounts? I made an account a while and I was unable to log into it.

are your forum mechanics set up the way they are to purposely scare people away?

i always believed that bbs forums like HBO's are, to an extent, set up to make joining and contributing a conscious decision.

i also was never baffled by that style of forum, because it's what all the forums i first started being active in used when i was in middle school.

Plywood said:

I just watched an episode of it on YouTube and didn't groan once.

I'm pleasantly surprised. That makes me a little sad, but I'm not one to blindly hate something.

Edit: I actually lol'd at this:

Cowboy pony: "Well, we can't just leave Rarity like this."

Pink pony: "She'll become a crazy cat lady!"

Purple pony: *defensively* "She only has one cat."

Pink pony: "Give her time."

MrBig

Dani said:
It's never "minigame shenanigans". It will be a mix of standard and Classic, Slayer and Objective. Classic maps, standard, Noble and Defiant.
I think I'm going to start doing some mini-game and classics customs before forgegaf from now on. Was really fun last week. Probably around 12 EST.

Gui_PT

Hydranockz said:
@Gui: Your argument for double cR weekends confuses me. You imply people playing the game more is a bad thing :p

Play moar now, play less on the long term.

Edit: Plywood NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ramirez

oddworld18 said:
i always believed that bbs forums like HBO's are, to an extent, set up to make joining and contributing a conscious decision.

i also was never baffled by that style of forum, because it's what all the forums i first started being active in used when i was in middle school.

Luckily not everything has stayed the same since that time period huh? Heh, actually I think someone said in the old Halo 3 thread that there was an option to turn the HBO forums into a more modern forum, I could be wrong though.

Gui, I think you are grossly mistaken on how fast people would level up with a double credit weekend. Not everyone wants to or can play all day, even if it is double the credits, it would still take the vast majority a year or even years to hit the cap. I'm still not sold on the fact that people only play to rank up, when the rank means so little.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:
Luckily not everything has stayed the same since that time period huh? Heh, actually I think someone said in the old Halo 3 thread that there was an option to turn the HBO forums into a more modern forum, I could be wrong though.

Preferences:

List Style: Compressed List
Display Style: Guestbook
Sort Order: Mixed Order

I blew minds when I originally posted this. Apparently made the HBO forums usable for some folks. Hehe.

Willeth said:

Im sorry but that sounds dumb there was races 500 years ago and there will still be races in 500 from now most without a doubt. I guess ifs not that important which race he was just my cousins were and us were playing and they wanted the master chief voice and told them it was too expensive and that they couldn't act like him because he was actually white and that smiles voice was cheaper and he sounded like he could be mexican but probably black lol

Sai-kun

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
I just watched an episode of it on YouTube and didn't groan once.

I'm pleasantly surprised. That makes me a little sad, but I'm not one to blindly hate something.

ilywGw.gif

I'm still not at Field General yet and from there on out each one is crazy huge gaps...

Now Halo's are supposed to be coming out more frequently, how long are we going to play reach? Its about time they boost the credits again...IMO but! I'm sure the reward systems manager guy has analyzed it a bit more, and since rank doesn't really matter I don't care too much.

It'd be nice that towards the end the credits have become large enough that the majority of heavy players hit that final rank. Like most people were hitting the high Generals at the end of H3, I think I almost hit Grade 3 and I had like 17 accounts in that game too.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
xxjuicesxx said:
It'd be nice that towards the end the credits have become large enough that the majority of heavy players hit that final rank. Like most people were hitting the high Generals at the end of H3, I think I almost hit Grade 3 and I had like 17 accounts in that game too.
Jeez, I only had two.

Willeth

Dani said:
"Terran"?
Is that a term in use in Halo? It was the word I jumped to in my mind but it doesn't seem to have much basis in reality. I don't think etymology would work that way necessarily - I can only just buy calling the Sun 'Sol', because once we start talking about multiple suns, calling one 'the sun' gets confusing.
Lake Minnetonka said:
Im sorry but that sounds dumb there was races 500 years ago and there will still be races in 500 from now most without a doubt. I guess ifs not that important which race he was just my cousins were and us were playing and they wanted the master chief voice and told them it was too expensive and that they couldn't act like him because he was actually white and that smiles voice was cheaper and he sounded like he could be mexican but probably black lol
I'm sorry if you were confused. I'm not saying that race would not exist, but the way we think about it would be so different that it's hard to talk about in current terms. Five hundred years ago, people were more colonial than we are now - hell, even a hundred years ago our definitions of race were vastly different than they are now. I don't think it's a stretch to say that how we think about these things as a culture will change even more drastically in another half-century.

Plywood said:
Jeez, I only had two.

Maybe not 17.

xxjuicesxx, MadeFromAwesome, SWATSRandom, UNSCDropout, HaloGAFSucks, FayeReagen, SashaGray, NikkiRhodes, OMGitzanMLGPRO, SometimesImEpic, TheABCsOfHalo, ADecentBR.

Some are sold, some are given away, some have been changed after, some still are there some I can't remember the exact spelling. I'm probably forgetting some too.

I had a bunch of 2 months... and couldn't stick with a tag I liked.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Willeth said:
Is that a term in use in Halo? It was the word I jumped to in my mind but it doesn't seem to have much basis in reality. I don't think etymology would work that way necessarily - I can only just buy calling the Sun 'Sol', because once we start talking about multiple suns, calling one 'the sun' gets confusing.

I have yet to see it crop up in the Halo universe. However it would be the correct term. With multiple colonised worlds, moons and stars our home would be Sol, Terra and Luna.

Willeth

Dani said:
I have yet to see it crop up in the Halo universe. However it would be the correct term. With multiple colonised worlds, moons and stars our home would be Sol, Terra and Luna.
Luna and Sol, fine. But I don't see any reason for 'Earth' to change. In fact, they still call it Earth in the games and in UNSC documents.

Gui_PT said:
You guys want to play a few matches?

I sent you a message on XBL, but I'm down to play.

Sai-kun said:
I'll be on in like 20-30 minutes. I've gotta finish doing the dishes :(

Dishes are my least favorite part of living on my own.

Besides rent.

And gas.

And buying food.

30 minutes will give me time to make some penne. omnomnom.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Willeth said:
Luna and Sol, fine. But I don't see any reason for 'Earth' to change. In fact, they still call it Earth in the games and in UNSC documents.

Earth is the anglo-English name for the planet but Terra is the Latin name and it's also used by several European languages.

Besides, if you are from Mars, you are a Martian. Neptune, Neptunian. Earth? Earthican? (Hi Bender!) Someone from Earth would be called a Terran. It just sounds better, even though Terra itself wouldn't be commonly used in English.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dani said:
Earth is the anglo-English name for the planet but Terra is the Latin name and it's also used by several European languages.

Besides, if you are from Mars, you are a Martian. Neptune, Neptunian. Earth? Earthican? (Hi Bender!) Someone from Earth would be called a Terran. It just sounds better, even though Terra itself wouldn't be commonly used in English.

Earthling. Also, I'd like to think in 500+ years we won't be using an ancient and dead language to name or refer to things anymore.

Willeth said:
It's more likely that people's notion of race in five hundred years, after we colonise other planets, will be rooted in what planet their family was from rather than what country on Earth

The argument that our concepts of "race" in the future will be redefined falls apart when you realize that NPCs in these games have easily-identifiable accents from current-day countries. Australian, Mexican, American, you name it.

If accents don't evolve in Halo games, neither will races.

Top Bottom