• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

xxjuicesxx said:
Ughh now that I remember H3... I'm 100% satisfied with the fact vehicles die easier in Reach. Fucking FOURTY THREE warthog kills. Thats all that needs to be said you can't kill vehicles in Halo 3! the weapons don't do anything to them...its basically pointless to shoot at them and they can just sit from afar and rape all game, especially if the one vehicle stopping weapon was taken.
Vehicles were just right in Halo 3. Maps had tons of ways to take them down. On Standoff you have plasma pistols, power drains, machine gun turrets, plasma grenades, regular frags for flipping and my personal favorite, the Brute Shot. In BTB I'd usually take it upon myself to destroy Warthogs because my team would go into a panic and now know how, it just depends on the map. (Rat's Nest? Stickies from the hallways.) Shoot me the video and I'll find ten places the 'Hog could have been destroyed. :p

(The spawns on Standoff, though, were horrifying.)

Edit: thanks guys. :)

Kuroyume

Banned
You're just being silly. They're just right to you because you're probably one of those guys who jumped in one right away at the start of every match and just ruined people enjoyment of the game.

Plasma pistols stop Warthogs on their tracks but yet leaves the gunner free to move around. All while you're waiting for the gun animation to finish so you can toss a grenade in their direction the gunner will just rip you to shreds... Not to mention that it's not like the grenade will destroy the thing or cause much damage to the passangers in the vehicle so even if you turn it over you're just going to get killed by the guys in it and they go back to driving around and being annoying.

Power drains are good, you're right, but how often can you get your hands on one before dying. Also, tossing one takes a bit of good aiming and timing so you better hope you don't find yourself in the middle of it.

Machine gun turrets only slow you down. Rip one off and the guys in a warthog could just drive circles around you shredding you apart. Ghosts will just splatter you.

Grenades do nothing. I've written stories on here abck in the Halo 3 thread seeing warthogs take streams of plasma and regular grenades only to see them just flip around and continue going. The damn Warthog basically has to be idle for you to destroy it with grenades and it will still take more than a few.

343 just needs to look at Halo 2. All I can remember from that game is people waiting for a vehicle to appear so that can get a few guys across Coag. It was always just to get a few people across so they can get a flag or plant something. It was never about driving around racking up kills. Vehicles did exactly what they needed to do. Transport people and nothing more. The Banshee wasn't that annoying. Neither was the Wraith or Tank. Everything just felt right. I don't want to play Halo 4 and face a Warthog that can take 16 grenades and the way for them to balance it is to include yet another power weapon that spawns several miles away and ends up in enemy hands killing the other team all while the Warthogs are tearing them apart.

I remember using stickies in Halo3 and more often than not they were completely ineffective on vehicles. One sticky almost never did anything, and sometimes even two stickies were not enough. But I was always dead after the first thrown sticky whether it hit or missed, so that method was usually not worth the effort.

The warthog could mow down people faster than anything, and definitely more quickly than the time it takes to maneuver to specific anti-vehicle weapons, all while the rest of the opposing team on foot is shooting me in the face. I agree that, yes, there were numerous things in each map that could help take out vehicles, but that doesn't change the fact that by the time the vehicle was finally taken out, it had likely already racked up 15 kills or more. In an FPS I just don't think that's very balanced.

The problem is that most vehicle maps are very open, not allowing for players to get very close to the vehicles or good anti-vehicle weapons without completely exposing themselves. And there was always a good chance at getting killed by the opposing team before or after picking up something suitable with which to fight back. More often than not, the other team would end up with the best anti-vehicle weapons leading to an absolute slaughter with little hope of recovery for the losing side.

On Standoff, I'd always immediately try and get to the rocket launcher at the start of the game to wait for the inevitable people in the warthog joyriding around. If I could tell that I wasn't going to make it to the rocket launcher before someone else, I'd detour to the invis and stickies. That was always my first goal on Standoff because of my hatred for vehicles in Halo3. Having said that, Standoff was probably my all-time favorite map in Halo3 just beating out Citadel. It had excellent cover everywhere.

EDIT: Happy Birthday Ghal! I know we have a lot of differing opinions about Halo, but you are always respectful and civil about everything, which I can't say the same for myself. Hope you have an awesome day today.

Kuroyume said:
You're just being silly. They're just right to you because you're probably one of those guys who jumped in one right away at the start of every match and just ruined people enjoyment of the game.
I wasn't one of those people and I can tell you that it was pretty easy to take out a Warthog.
Grenades do nothing. I've written stories on here abck in the Halo 3 thread seeing warthogs take streams of plasma and regular grenades only to see them just flip around and continue going. The damn Warthog basically has to be idle for you to destroy it with grenades and it will still take more than a few.
It only took two sticky grenades to kill the occupants in a Warthog. It was easy to flip a Warthog (as long as you had grenades or a Brute shot, etc) once it was standing still from a PP or an energy drainer.
Deputy Moonman said:
I remember using stickies in Halo3 and more often than not they were completely ineffective on vehicles. One sticky almost never did anything, and sometimes even two stickies were not enough. But I was always dead after the first thrown sticky whether it hit or missed, so that method was usually not worth the effort.
It only took two sticky grenades to kill the occupants of a Warthog.

Happy birthday, Ghaleon. =D

Trasher said:
Nah, we didn't run any customs. Around nine of us randomly decided to get on though and play a few matchmaking games.

I missed out. :(

Happy birthday by the way Ghal.

Also... Lake's posts seem to be getting more incoherent as time goes on, he actually started off with quite legible posts. Is this a joke or are we are witnessing his spiral into insanity?

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
Also... Lake's posts seem to be getting more incoherent as time goes on, he actually started off with quite legible posts. Is this a joke or are we are witnessing his spiral into insanity?

I just think he really really hates commas.

You guys have probably linked a ton of these videos before, but I am only just now checking stuff like this out. This guy is crazy. I can't even imagine how long it took for him to perfect the route and everything before being able to do it consistently.

Tip of the Spear LASO

Tawpgun

bobs99 ... said:

He's going into rampancy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Juices, Gui, anyone not Dax really. I bought the maps last night, but got Wifetaculared. I'll be on sometime today to play some if you're on.

Hey You

Happy Birthday Ghal.

I loved Halo 3's Big Team. So many great maps, Avalanche,Standoff,Last Resort (That was in BTB right), Sandtrap (somewhat),Valhalla and even Rats Nest. Reach's BTB maps I enjoy: Highlands,Boardwalk and maybe Tempest.

MrBig

Alienshogun said:
Juices, Gui, anyone not Dax really. I bought the maps last night, but got Wifetaculared. I'll be on sometime today to play some if you're on.
If you're on now I'll get on for some Defiant. Or Halo 3.

Deputy Moonman said:
You guys have probably linked a ton of these videos before, but I am only just now checking stuff like this out. This guy is crazy. I can't even imagine how long it took for him to perfect the route and everything before being able to do it consistently.

Tip of the Spear LASO
That's really the only video that's been linked for the LASO really :p

Sorry I bailed early last night on customs. I had a lot of fun in the classic gametypes and on that tempest-zombie variant.

I need to start playing more with the gaffers since I always have much more fun regardless of how well I'm playing.

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:

Out for a jog and some exercise.

I'll be back later

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
Out for a jog and some exercise.

I'll be back later

Got mine in yesterday, back and shoulders. Unfortunately I didn't warm up properly and now my back is sore as hell.

Oh well, at least I get a day off, well, when I'm not continuing to fill out these police background checks.

MrBig said:
If you're on now I'll get on for some Defiant. Or Halo 3.

I'm about to get on, but be warned, I haven't played in a LONG time.

Alienshogun said:
Got mine in yesterday, back and shoulders. Unfortunately I didn't warm up properly and now my back is sore as hell.

Oh well, at least I get a day off, well, when I'm not continuing to fill out these police background checks.

I'm about to get on, but be warned, I haven't played in a LONG time.

Pffft, just link them to your bungie.net medals page, that should prove your qualifications. I might jump on too if theres space.

By the way, that hate towards dax was outta line man :(

Ken

Alienshogun said:

I might be able to play a bit today. Sent you a friend request.

GT: Chocopolka

GhaleonEB said:
Vehicles were just right in Halo 3. Maps had tons of ways to take them down. On Standoff you have plasma pistols, power drains, machine gun turrets, plasma grenades, regular frags for flipping and my personal favorite, the Brute Shot. In BTB I'd usually take it upon myself to destroy Warthogs because my team would go into a panic and now know how, it just depends on the map. (Rat's Nest? Stickies from the hallways.) Shoot me the video and I'll find ten places the 'Hog could have been destroyed. :p

(The spawns on Standoff, though, were horrifying.)

Edit: thanks guys. :)

Happy Birthday! :)

But...

No, vehicles were absolutely wrong in Halo 3. I've always hated vehicles but never as much as in Halo 3, at least in Reach my DMR (the go to weapon for good kids) does damage towards it and will eventually blow it up especially if teamed up on by multiple deemers.

But you are saying there are so many ways to take down those but EVERYTHING you listed doesn't work at a moderate range that a skilled warthog keeps itself at. Really the machine gun turret??? You couldn't even get out of the base long enough to get on that thing because once the warthog is terrorizing outside it becomes that much easier for the other players to lock down the middle of the map and terrorize anyone leaving the base...thats how Standoff works.

No offense but if 7 players who basically have obtained level 50s in Halo 3 can't take down a warthog there is something wrong with them...All experienced players unable to take a warthog down...I got one down with rockets at a point, but within 10 seconds there was another one up, it was demoralizing and unbalanced.

I honestly don't get how anyone could think of that as perfect. Seriously you are blowing my thoughtsicles.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
bobs99 ... said:
Pffft, just link them to your bungie.net medals page, that should prove your qualifications. I might jump on too if theres space.

By the way, that hate towards dax was outta line man :(

Hate toward dax is never out of line. ;)

Also, I don't need bungie.net medals, I have my own medals!

P.S get on!

xxjuicesxx said:
Happy Birthday! :)

But...

No vehicles were absolutely wrong in Halo 3. I've always hated vehicles but never as much as in Halo 3, at least in Reach my DMR (the go to weapon for good kids) does damage towards it and will eventually blow it up especially if teamed up on by multiple deemers.

But you are saying there are so many ways to take down those but EVERYTHING you listed doesn't work at a moderate range that a skilled warthog keeps itself at. Really the machine gun turret??? You couldn't even get out of the base long enough to get on that thing because once the warthog is terrorizing outside it becomes that much easier for the other players to lock down the middle of the map and terrorize anyone leaving the base...thats how Standoff works.

No offense but if 7 players who basically have obtained level 50s in Halo 3 can't take down a warthog there is something wrong with them...All experienced players unable to take a warthog down...I got one down with rockets at a point, but within 10 seconds there was another one up, it was demoralizing and unbalanced.

I honestly don't get how anyone could think of that as perfect. Seriously you are blowing my thoughtsicles.

To be fair there are plenty of people who think vehicle combat is a staple of Halo gameplay. I personally prefered being on foot and using a BR unless a Banshee was handy, but the notion that vehicles should suck makes me laugh. Thats as bad as saying that the BR should have spread. Its just a different way to play the game, and to be fair even in Halo 3 the much despised Laser put a stop to vehicle combat in its tracks.

I think Halo 1 had vehicle combat right, if im not looking through rose tinted glasses the health system actually helped let you know when a vehicle was close to death, as for gameplay they were pretty solid killing machines but had counters. Halo 1 style vehicles with PP overcharges and boarding would be perfect. :p

bobs99 ... said:
To be fair there are plenty of people who think vehicle combat is a staple of Halo gameplay. I personally prefered being on foot and using a BR unless a Banshee was handy, but the notion that vehicles should suck makes me laugh.

I know I don't want vehicles gone or to suck though (at least from bigger playlists) but I think the balance wasn't right in Halo 3. Someone shouldn't be able to get 43 kills in a Warthog against a bunch of good players.

Reach's infantry to vehicle balance is good, you can just DMR or Snipe something down to death...but they still have a chance of being a terror if they wait for the right conditions. You'll still see people posting huge numbers in Reach with the Scorpion or Banshees or maybe even a Warthog or Falcon. At least now though if a team teams up they can DMR a Banshee down, Scorpions I dunno...

I really think that Reachs vehicle-infantry combat wasn't something shoehorned into the final product quickly but was a deliberate design based on a correction of Halo 3's vehicle-infantry gameplay.

Happiest of birthday's to you Ghaleon. May all your FF endeavors result in high-scoring hilarity.

I'll hop on in a while. Daylight Savings really screwed me over today :p

Karl2177

Happy birthday Ghal!

Also, are there any good stat tracking programs for 3/Reach? I was using H3Opp for my Halo 3 stats, but it kept having errors whenever I attempted to download more games.

Alienshogun said:
Hate toward dax is never out of line. ;)

Also, I don't need bungie.net medals, I have my own medals!

P.S get on!

I would love to, but the clocks changing has literally caused my xbox (and laptop) to stop working, wtf this isnt the millennium bug is it? I thought we dealt with that like 11 years ago. :(

Tawpgun

The hell is the point of putting turrets on vehicles if some of you think they should be transport only?

Vehicles are meant to interplay with infantry. They add another layer of combat and should be treated as power items.

Kuroyume

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
To be fair there are plenty of people who think vehicle combat is a staple of Halo gameplay.

Those people are wrong. Vehicles not vehicular combat is a staple of Halo gameplay. Getting in a vehicle and being able to use it to get around a map quickly seems like a perfectly fine thing to me. Getting a few kills with one seem like a perfectly fine thing also if that is what they mean by vehicular combat. Getting in a vehicle and staying in it for almost an entire match and just wiping everything out seems like overkill. It's obvious that vehicles in Reach were designed as a response this. Of course they also got an obsession during development with making things really explosive from grenades to FRC/tank shots so the Banshee and Tank feel very overpowered. Just gives us vehicles that handle well, can be destroyed easily with something like lock on rockets rather than a laser, and aren't overpowered with their attack options.

- Remove the FRC from the Banshee
- Improve handling of all the vehicles (more like H2/H3 rather than Reach)
- Halo 2 level health for the vehicles
- Halo 2 level firepower damage for the vehicles
- Get rid of the laser and bring back lock on Rockets

There was nothing wrong with the vehicular gameplay in Halo 2. I don't understand why they bothered to change it. Even though I preferred being on foot I didn't hate vehicles in that game. I don't ever recall bitching about them there, but I've done plenty of that in regards to Halo 3 and Reach.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That was fun guys, glad I bought the map pack! Look forward to playing with some of you newer guys (to gaf) some more.

bobs99 ... said:
I would love to, but the clocks changing has literally caused my xbox (and laptop) to stop working, wtf this isnt the millennium bug is it? I thought we dealt with that like 11 years ago. :(

Seriously? That sucks dude.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Kuroyume said:
Those people are wrong. Vehicles not vehicular combat is a staple of Halo gameplay. Getting in a vehicle and being able to use it to get around a map quickly seems like a perfectly fine thing to me. Getting a few kills with one seem like a perfectly fine thing also if that is what they mean by vehicular combat. Getting in a vehicle and staying in it for almost an entire match and just wiping everything out seems like overkill. It's obvious that vehicles in Reach were designed as a response this. Of course they also got an obsession during development with making things really explosive from grenades to FRC/tank shots so the Banshee and Tank feel very overpowered. Just gives us vehicles that handle well, can be destroyed easily with something like lock on rockets rather than a laser, and aren't overpowered with their attack options.

- Remove the FRC from the Banshee
- Improve handling of all the vehicles (more like H2/H3 rather than Reach)
- Halo 2 level health for the vehicles
- Halo 2 level firepower damage for the vehicles
- Get rid of the laser and bring back lock on Rockets

There was nothing wrong with the vehicular gameplay in Halo 2. I don't understand why they bothered to change it. Even though I preferred being on foot I didn't hate vehicles in that game. I don't ever recall bitching about them there, but I've done plenty of that in regards to Halo 3 and Reach.

I can't believe I almost fully agree with you.

Killing streaks with vehicles should be a testament to the skill of the driver and/or gunner, not because the vehicles are too powerful or easily exploitable.

Tawpgun

Dani said:
I can't believe I almost fully agree with you.

Killing streaks with vehicles should be a testament to the skill of the driver and/or gunner, not because the vehicles are too powerful or easily exploitable.
Yet in Reach not even skilled drivers/gunners can escape DMR fire.... I liked the slightly OP vehicles in H3 better than the paper mache ones in Reach.

Also if anyone has some like REALLY epic moments in Reach, render them up, and I might just use some of them to make more of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbjJ8_56b94&feature=channel_video_title

Might do Ghaleons survival one, even if it does feel a bit drawn out.

Thanks to my crazily generous and awesome friend I now have a lovely new 250GB Slim 360 (he bought it, and I've to pay him back when I comfortably can). This means that I can actually play Halo Reach again! Old 360 had stopped reading Halo Reach discs specifically and was locking up alot randomly too so I was in need of a new one.

Played a little on 2 of the Defiant maps, couple of firefights which was pretty fun. Had a big team battle on Highlands, really enjoyed that map for whatever reason I really liked the uneven terrain. I got killed at least 5 times while staring at the skybox though :(

randomlyrossy said:
Thanks to my crazily generous and awesome friend I now have a lovely new 250GB Slim 360 (he bought it, and I've to pay him back when I comfortably can). This means that I can actually play Halo Reach again! Old 360 had stopped reading Halo Reach discs specifically and was locking up alot randomly too so I was in need of a new one.

Played a little on 2 of the Defiant maps, couple of firefights which was pretty fun. Had a big team battle on Highlands, really enjoyed that map for whatever reason I really liked the uneven terrain. I got killed at least 5 times while staring at the skybox though :(
Oh yeah. There should be a warning, when you start Reach the first time with the Defiant MapPack

Hey, before you jump into MM, please load up the maps in Forge and regard the awesome Skybox.

While I'm busy playing the game at a mediocre sub par framerate I can at least take solace in the fact theres a pretty skybox up there. Thanks for that, really!

Ramirez

Well, there were a lot of factors wrong in that Standoff game last night. For one, as fun and as right as Halo 3 feels, the netcode is amazingly bad, those guys had a pretty gross host advantage. Second, they got the laser, so that pretty much gave us no option of using a Hog ourselves, that was always a problem in Halo 3, and the Laser is definitely something I do not miss in 95% of Reach maps. Lastly, even when we would kill the hog, and in some cases both hogs because they stole ours a few times after we took it away from the base, it seemed like another was always instantly respawning.

Take away the laser on that map, and that game plays out a lot differently, it was always stupid that a team could get a stranglehold on vehicles just by getting the initial laser spawn.

Things I noticed that I loved last night while playing Halo 3...

-No health! Fast recharging shields
-Grenades that actually took skill to kill people
-Radars that don't give away elevation, seriously I got owned so many times on Construct and other elevated maps because I had gotten so used to that crutch from Reach.
-Melee that makes sense
-Gunplay that doesn't feel awkward, even with the lag I didn't feel like the game was fighting me for a kill.
-Sniper doesn't have insane auto aim either

Just a few off the top of my head, really hope the next Halo goes back to more of this and less of the stuff that was introduced in Reach, aside from obvious stuff like hitscan and good netcode.

As far as vehicles go, I feel that Halo 3 and Reach are at extreme ends of each spectrum, Halo 3 is too powerful, and Reach (aside from the Scorpion and Banshee) are grossly underpowered, especially the hog and ghost, I'd like to see them meet some where in the middle as far their power goes.

Raide

MrBig said:
We've got a btb party going now
e: everyone bailed because they're BKs

Arrg. I have a 8v8 KotH map I wanted to try, since the ForgeGAF customs pretty much died yesterday, so hopefully a few more are around later.

GhaleonEB

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, guys. And Dani, I'm 34. Not quite old enough to be Dax's father, unless I got busy earlier that I did.

BTW, I did Tip of the Spear earlier today and killed 83 Grunts on Heroic, if you're looking for a mission to knock off the daily Challenge easily.

Now let's argue.

xxjuicesxx said:
But...

No, vehicles were absolutely wrong in Halo 3. I've always hated vehicles but never as much as in Halo 3, at least in Reach my DMR (the go to weapon for good kids) does damage towards it and will eventually blow it up especially if teamed up on by multiple deemers.
I can only speak from my experience, as you can. I spent 75% of my Halo 3 games in BTB, because I love vehicular play. So from the starting point, we've got different mind sets about vehicles, which probably plays into this.

There's not a map in Halo 3 that features vehicles that does not also have ways for me to kill them with minimal difficulty. Over the 2 1/2 years I played Halo 3, I never had a game where I felt like someone in a Warthog had an unfair advantage against me. I could go through map by map the tools of the trade and how they worked well to take vehicles down, but that wouldn't be worth doing at this point. Suffice it to say, if I felt that the vehicles didn't work, I wouldn't have touched BTB in Halo 3. (Look at how often I play that utterly broken playlist in Reach, for instance.)

To your specific game, shoot me the film and I'm pretty sure I could spot a bunch of places the Warthog could have been tossed, even from mid range. The biggest problem on Standoff is the godawful spawns which were for some reason not fixed. I (and I think you?) did a version of Standoff with fixed spawns, which at default were god's gift to a Warthog gunner.

If they were keeping at mid range, keep yourself in cover and force it to advance somewhat. The Power Drain can be chucked almost as far as a grenade, and has a huge effective area; you don't even have to be that accurate. The machine gun turret is also very effective, especially when combined with some team firing. But again, if they were keeping at mid range, don't expose yourself.

A slightly damaged Warthog is killed instantly by a sticky grenade. One of my most successful ways to kill Warthogs on Valhalla would be to grab an SMG and a plasma grenade, work my way through cover to a place where I knew they'd buzz by, and hit the Warthog as it went by with the SMG at point blank range for one second, then follow up with a sticky. Dead Warthog. Half the time, I'd also die, but my strategy for taking Warthogs down was successful often because of my lack of self preservation; if I die and the Warthog goes to, that's a victory.

But we're not going win this argument with each other. I suspect you'll read the above with a sense of stupification, wondering if we played the same game. Which is also how I read your posts. Let's agree to disagree. :p

At any rate. I hate most of Reach's vehicles so much, and it pains me to even write that. (The Ghost, Falcon and Mongose are fine.) But from the feel to the physics to the weapons to the selection to the damage and health models, they're mostly just awful. The mode I loved in Halo 2 and 3 feels not only poorly conceived, but the playlist is configured in a way that is hostile to the entire concept of BTB. I really wish someone would go in and focus on making it as good as it can be in Reach.
xxjuicesxx said:
While I'm busy playing the game at a mediocre sub par framerate I can at least take solace in the fact theres a pretty skybox up there. Thanks for that, really!
Yeah. While I'm all for a pretty skybox, I feel like there's been this escalation of arms when it comes to making pretty ones, at the cost of frame rate. Slowdown in multiplayer is totally unacceptable, and it's sort of shocking to me that maps like Tempest and Unearthed have them even when nothing is going on. The priorities are out of whack a bit. Forge World is another example: way too much space and resources wasted making it pretty, when that gets in the way of functionality big time. My current map has several thousand dollars in budget left over and is spread over a huge area, but there's slowdown and flicker on it. There shouldn't be.

My main problem with the warthog in Reach is that the controls are too floaty. DMR bullets can make it go spinning.

The Falcon, though, flies magnificently. It handles the best out of any vehicle in the entire series.

Top Bottom