• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Lead Based Paint said:
I still feel like players who purchased the last halo 3 map pack and both Reach packs were royally shafted.

I haven't seen any Noble maps in matchmaking outside of the playlist and only one defiant.

IT SUCKS

Yep agreed. I understand it for H3, but after H3, with a game released in 2010, they couldn't find a good way to implement DLC?

Hint: the answer is already out there, COD does DLC very well.

Louis Wu said:
Interesting. I played 3 BTB games last night - one of those three was on Tempest.

(I got Tempest in BTB two nights ago, too.)

Not a huge sample, I know - but isn't that sort of the point?

I have never played a DLC map in BTB, and that includes playing with rather large parties that all have the DLC.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Steelyuhas said:
Yep agreed. I understand it for H3, but after H3, with a game released in 2010, they couldn't find a good way to implement DLC?

I have never played a DLC map in BTB, and that includes playing with rather large parties that all have the DLC.

Matchmaking is SUPPOSED to put people with DLC together, but it's also supposed to use trueskill too. So who fucking knows.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Steelyuhas said:

Apple, meet orange.

Louis Wu said:
Interesting. I played 3 BTB games last night - one of those three was on Tempest.

(I got Tempest in BTB two nights ago, too.)

Not a huge sample, I know - but isn't that sort of the point?

I haven't played BTB in a long while so maybe that might be the case.

But this is a real issue and while I appreciate your attempt to dilute my complaint (well I got one in MM) the fact remains it been going on since Halo 3 and my dumbass keeps facilitating it.

I NEVER saw Longshore after it was released outside of the dlc map pack.

I have not seen Anchor 9, I have not seen Breakpoint, and I have not seen Tempest outside of the DLC playlist.

Anecdotes aside, IT SUCKS. I feel like a sucker.

Seriously, if you can make it look for only DLC maps for like the first 5 min i'll do it. I don't care. At least then I can play them in matchmaking.

Alienshogun said:
Are you playing alone? If not, do your friends all have the map packs? If not blame them.

Yes shogun, I am THAT stupid.

/sigh

Dani said:
Apple, meet orange.

Could you explain this? Because I honestly don't see the difference.

Lake Minnetonka said:
no kidding

CoD is popular and has a large playerbase

KelsoBURN2.jpg

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:

Why Bungie doesn't do the COD method is beyond me. Choose what gametype you want to play. You will now only play that gametype. Choose what base weapon you want to use when you re-spawn (DMR, Pistol, AR, NR). You can play however you please. If they're going to let people choose crap like whether they want Invisibility or Invincibility at the press of a button they should let people choose whether why want a DMR or AR. Trying to masquerade AR/Pistol starts as being needed for balance is laughable when Armor Abilities and randomized spawns run free. Blanket playlists for Objective and Slayer leaves nobody happy (just ask the 13 people who are still in Team Objective).

Can you even play Neutral Bomb or regular CTF these days?

kylej said:
Why Bungie doesn't do the COD method is beyond me. Choose what gametype you want to play. You will now only play that gametype. Choose what base weapon you want to use when you re-spawn (DMR, Pistol, AR, NR). You can play however you please. If they're going to let people choose crap like whether they want Invisibility or Invincibility at the press of a button they should let people choose whether why want a DMR or AR. Trying to masquerade AR/Pistol starts as being needed for balance is laughable when Armor Abilities and randomized spawns run free. Blanket playlists for Objective and Slayer leaves nobody happy (just ask Team Objective's 13 people who still play it).

Can you even play Neutral Bomb or regular CTF these days?

I have seen these elusive beasts in the Defiant playlist, but like the Obo, I'll never play them because people vote for other things.

ncsuDuncan said:
I, too, used Bumper Jumper exclusively in Halo 3. I'm rocking Default in Reach.

Really, the way Reach's maps are designed jumping isn't nearly as important as it was in the previous games. I use my AA much more often than I jump, which is a big change from my jumping playstyle in Halo 3.

Maybe the Classic playlist will change that, but for now I'd rather have Sprint mapped to LB.

I used to think bumper jumper was BS in Halo 3, and that my friends only used it because the pro's did. But then, in a match of swat, I was jumping, but I wasn't able to aim my gun at the same time and I died. This was an eye opener for me and I stil think it's a very important thing to do in Reach for strafing purpuse etc.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Classic seems good, but it REALLY sucks not knowing these maps. Lost several battles because I was solo against a team that was working together, and knew the map.

Striker

Bnet folks not liking the Hang 'Em High remake map.

Still say they should have added Casket/remake of Tombstone.

Alienshogun said:
Classic seems good, but it REALLY sucks not knowing these maps. Lost several battles because I was solo against a team that was working together, and knew the map.
What's to know? If you played Halo 1 or Halo 2 they're easy.

Kuroyume

Banned
I actually like the way they've handled the DLC... Kind of. I don't like that Noble appears in the Defiant playlist. That agitates me. Played some recently and it's obvious some people were pulling out their flash so that the game wouldn't load the Defiant maps and instead bring up Noble. People out there really have a hard on for Breakpoint. It's just so fucking annoying when I don't want anything to do with that map until they pull the Banshees out. It's either that or snipers on there which is awful. Anyway, I've seen Noble maps pop up often in other places. Played quite a bit of Tempest in Multi Team when I would often play in there. If I didn't have the maps and they implemented them the way they did in Halo 3 I would be really annoyed so... Yeah, not familiar with how COD does it but what they've done now is much better than what went on with Halo 3.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Striker said:
What's to know? If you played Halo 1 or Halo 2 they're easy.

I was in the Army and subsequently in Iraq for 1,2 and most of 3. Needless to say I didn't get much time to play either.

I think I have a total of 5 games in Halo 2.

chess said:
Really?

Edit: Thanks for your service. I just assumed your hate for AA's meant you already knew and love classic Halo!

I don't hate AAs, just their effect on some of the playlists. I want them where they belong, not removed.

chess

Alienshogun said:

Really?

Edit: Thanks for your service. I just assumed your hate for AA's meant you already knew and love classic Halo!

Kawl_USC

I hate university internet :( just dropped a game when internet went down for a few seconds for who knows what reason....I now have a 10 minute ban. All of my quits are due to dropping connection. Thanks University of South Carolina, I'm really glad I pay $2000 a year for crappy internet.

Lazslo

I was just looking at the written preview for the new episode of Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory on Monday 4/4; It says that "Bieber comes to visit"- I don't know if that means they are going to show the Bungie Reach Release Party or maybe he visits at a different time- It seems like a Halo release party would be something they would show but we'll see I guess. Anyway Big Black comes back so that will be awesome.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lazslo said:
I was just looking at the written preview for the new episode of Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory on Monday 4/4; It says that "Bieber comes to visit"- I don't know if that means they are going to show the Bungie Reach Release Party or maybe he visits at a different time- It seems like a Halo release party would be something they would show but we'll see I guess. Anyway Big Black comes back so that will be awesome.

Oh man Rob & Big was the best show when it was on.

FYI, after discussing Map Voting here two weeks ago I've been wondering what games besides Reach have good voting systems, so I made a thread to discuss it. Let me know what you think!

Should be on Reach in about an hour. Really itching to try out Classic.

Crucio said:
Playlist update is up. There are surprise firefight changes, based on my first game:

Rocket Fight: Weapon and Grenade pickups disabled.

I'll update as I play.

Somewhere out there Ghaleon just felt a disturbance in the Force...

Crucio

Playlist update is up. There are surprise firefight changes, based on my first game:

Rocket Fight: Weapon and Grenade pickups disabled.

I'll update as I play.

Louis Wu said:
I can't get to your original avatar, but I grabbed a clean copy of her OK image from the web and thumbnailed it; you're welcome to link to this as an avatar, if you choose. (The bandwidth for this sort of file is essentially unlimited. :) )

http://files.smallbits.com/images/hmc_ladygaga.jpg

hmc_ladygaga.jpg
Thanks! Although mine appears to be working now ...

Edit: Not anymore! Oh, Minus. I'll use this one until Sai-kun reuploads the .gif.

Tashi0106 said:
Oh man Rob & Big was the best show when it was on.

Random fact of the day: My TV & American Society professor from last semester was a dubber/assistant editor for Rob & Big.

MrBig

Gui_PT said:
Halo 3's still more fun!
It's not worth loading it up for just gameplay and only a few maps that are better.

Classic gametypes are good. Grenades and sniper are now OP though. The Battle Creek remake they choose is extremely bland though. Rat Race is fantastic. Wizard is ok, but not for 4v4 Rifles.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
MrBig said:
It's not worth loading it up for just gameplay and only a few maps that are better.

Classic gametypes are good. Grenades and sniper are now OP though. The Battle Creek remake they choose is extremely bland though. Rat Race is fantastic. Wizard is ok, but not for 4v4 Rifles.

The gray is gonna get old quick.

I liked the movement though, but yeah, Reach grenades are deathtraps without AAs, too bad they can't tone those down in classic.

Alright, I played one game of Power Slayer and another of what is it...Halo pinball?

I just want to let out some first-impressions of Power Slayer. Now, I only played one game, but I feel I gotta comment on stuff that seemed off and other things. Firstly, I wish Bungie implemented a system that gave you a description of each gametype in the pre-game lobby. Going in on thought power slayer was the new gametype in which you get a certain amount of points for a certain kill.

Anyway, in my one game of power slayer:
1. The shotgun seemed off. It seemed to be more powerful at a long range. I was getting killed from the shotgun at ridiculous ranges.
2. Nearly everyone (including me) was using Evade and that got very annoying very quickly. People were evading into me while they had the shotgun and I couldn't defend myself.
3. What happens when you are in power mode? Is infinite ammo all you get?

I enjoyed the pinball gametype. Gonna definitely play more.

Top Bottom