• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Sikamikanico said:
My Onza is on the van for delivery this morning. Is it as good as I hope HaloGAF? I can't wait to get my Bumper Jumper back on! :)

I never stopped using Bumperjumper. I only use sprint and evade so it's no big deal. BJ is perfect for the Team Classic playlist.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
Yea I think he has a week or so left.

Yesterday I was playing and this guy was bitching to me because I didn't have any kills....it was 30 seconds into the match -_____- I said, "did you just score check me less than a minute into this game?" I lol'd...then he point checked me lol. Apparently he was some top amateur. I had never heard of him. He's a fuckin herb no matter how many points he has. I hate those fuckin people.

Yeah, they bother me too, until I realize they are probably only good at games and not much else.

What did letters get banned for? He doesn't seem like the get banned type.

chess

The Real Napsta said:
I never stopped using Bumperjumper. I only use sprint and evade so it's no big deal. BJ is perfect for the Team Classic playlist.

exactly, I switch to default at first to run through the campaign but quickly switched back to bumper jumper for MP. I don't use jetpacks so it works well.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Alienshogun said:
Yeah, they bother me too, until I realize they are probably only good at games and not much else.

What did letters get banned for? He doesn't seem like the get banned type.

Shitting up some Sony game thread. He was having a really rough day :eek:

Striker said:
Halo 3's BR felt like the weakest of the whole series in terms of being a top premier precision weapon. Probably due to the shitty spread and no hitscan. 343i gotta have hitscan in their game. It's a must-have in the Halo MP.

As for "not feeling like a badass"... erm, play Halo 1 much? I wanted Halo 2's BR to be a single shot. At the demo they first revealed, it was. In the little demo they did showing off the lock-on rockets, boarding, sword, etc. they showed how at one point the BR was a single shot when scoped in but a burst when not scoped. Not sure how that would have been delivered in terms of impact, but the single shot has been in Bungie's mind the whole time.
What I meant by "powerful feeling weapon" is that it felt like an automatic weapon. It felt like I could do damage with it.

It happens to me in Modern Warfare 2 when I pick the FAL (a single-shot rifle). I feel inferior to the other people using automatic or three-round burst rifles, even though it's only a perceived inferiority.

Edit: Also, what the crap is going on with my avatar? Can someone help me?

This displeases Lady Godga.

I'm in the camp of the bumper jumpers. I only really use the Jetpack on Sword Base and I've develloped a kind of hybrid shooting style for it.
I have a friend though who used Bumper Jumper in Halo 3 and switched to default, just for Jetpacking.

Tha Robbertster said:
I'm in the camp of the bumper jumpers. I only really use the Jetpack on Sword Base and I've develloped a kind of hybrid shooting style for it.
I have a friend though who used Bumper Jumper in Halo 3 and switched to default, just for Jetpacking.

I, too, used Bumper Jumper exclusively in Halo 3. I'm rocking Default in Reach.

Really, the way Reach's maps are designed jumping isn't nearly as important as it was in the previous games. I use my AA much more often than I jump, which is a big change from my jumping playstyle in Halo 3.

Maybe the Classic playlist will change that, but for now I'd rather have Sprint mapped to LB.

Kuroyume

Banned
I like the feel of the DMR. I think BUNGIE improved on the overall feeling of the guns compared to Halo 3 but they could have still done better with the sound effects, recoil, and damage ouput of the precision set. Would really like to see 343 bring back the DMR for the next game. I expect the BR to return because they'll fart out some stuff about how it's iconic but I would like to see it not replace the DMR. If they could somehow have the pistol, DMR, BR, and Needle Rifle in the game and somehow make them unique it would be great. Perhaps make it like this:

Damage output: Needle Rifle < Pistol < BR < DMR
Recoil: Needle Rifle < DMR < Pistol < BR
Range: Pistol < Needle Rifle < BR < DMR
Ammo Clip: DMR < Pistol < Needle Rifle < BR
Rate of fire: DMR < BR < Pistol < Needle Rifle

Something like that would be good.

Kuroyume said:
I like the feel of the DMR. I think BUNGIE improved on the overall feeling of the guns compared to Halo 3 but they could have still done better with the sound effects, recoil, and damage ouput of the precision set. Would really like to see 343 bring back the DMR for the next game. I expect the BR to return because they'll fart out some stuff about how its iconic but I would like to see it not replace the DMR. If they could somehow have the pistol, DMR, BR, and Needle Rifle in the game and somehow make them unique it would be great. Perhaps make it like this:

Damage output: Needle Rifle < Pistol < BR < DMR
Recoil: Needle Rifle < DMR < Pistol < BR
Range: Pistol < Needle Rifle < BR < DMR
Ammo Clip: DMR < Pistol < Needle Rifle < BR
Rate of fire: DMR < BR < Pistol < Needle Rifle

Something like that would be good.
I know this is only the precision set, but doing this means the Needle Rifle would effectively replace the AR.

Edit: Mr. IAFKinREACH just hit Reclaimer. xXSAVIORS0ULXx is about 17 days away from hitting Inheritor if he/she keeps earning 100,000 cR a day.

Bumper Jumper for 90% of the games, but when I must Jet pack (and sometimes I simply must Jet pack) I switch to Recon. Recon beats default for me because I like using B to melee, it jibes with the COD controls I use, so it cuts down on confusion :p
EDIT: also, it's not that far off the comfort zone to use the bumper to lift off with a jet pack if you're used to using it to 'lift off' when you jump.

vhfive said:
Arena is a fucking mess. Everyone chooses evade and just fucking rolls away when they're losing a fight.

Yes it is very annoying. Aren't they removing Evade from Arena in the playlist update? If so I wouldn't even bother with it until later on today. Can't wait to get home and finally get in some Classic playlist action. I just wish someone would hurry up and make that Prisoner remake already.

CyReN

xxxstylzxxx said:
I just wish someone would hurry up and make that Prisoner remake already.

I just can't see that working out very well with Reach.

Speaking of which I lanned h1/h2 8 hours this weekend, most fun I've had in awhile with halo.

vhfive said:
Arena is a fucking mess. Everyone chooses evade and just fucking rolls away when they're losing a fight.
How is evade any different than sprint? Or is it because people don't have to turn around to get away? I seem to be the only one that hates sprint just as much as armor lock.

Kuroyume

Banned
I like how they removed Armor Lock and are removing Evade later from there but are keeping it in the other playlists. Oh, it's incredibly annoying there but nowhere else. Sure.

Hmmm, I wonder if next season we could get Arena Classic?

Kuroyume said:
I like how they removed Armor Lock and are removing Evade later from there but are keeping it in the other playlists. Oh, it's incredibly annoying there but nowhere else. Sure.
I'd be happy with a compromise:
- Evade in Elite loadouts only (Invasion, Elite Slayer, etc. Zombies too I guess.)
- Armor Lock in BTB only. (Maybe Multi-team.) Actually, I'd like BTB to get some Heavy variants, and keep Armor Lock to those only.
- Free ponies and ice cream.
- World peace.
Amen.

Kuroyume said:

I always thought that all non Sprint AA's function better as pick ups on the map as opposed to being available as a Loadout. At least we have playlists that offer alternatives (Classic, MLG, Arena) so it will have to do until Bungie/343 realize the error of their ways, hopefully.

Free ponies and ice cream.

DLC?

Presco

Hydranockz said:
Same here bro. If it ain't broken...

Yup. I couldn't give up BJ in Reach after switching in Halo 3. I have a friend who plays Reach with a crazy bumper jumper / claw hybrid since he loves bumper jumper and the jetpack. I tried it but quickly gave up after I couldn't move my hand after 10 minutes of play. The claw is for the young and supple. I 'll definitely be on the lookout for the Onza.

Can't wait to play some Classic and Action Sack tonight!

Ramirez said:
Is Classic slayer only?

For now yes. Jeremiah states he wants objective, but he is going to start the playlist as slayer only to make sure that there is a player population to support. (Got to remember that most players of shooters these days have been call of dutyfied and hates objective gametypes :/ )

Ramirez

Steelyuhas said:
For now yes. Jeremiah states he wants objective, but he is going to start the playlist as slayer only to make sure that there is a player population to support. (Got to remember that most players of shooters these days have been call of dutyfied and hates objective gametypes :/ )

Lame.

http://majornelson.com/2011/03/29/xbox-360-system-update-preview/

Major Nelson's blog said:
As part of the preview program, you will receive a copy of Halo: Reach

Looks like signing up for the System Update preview nets you a copy of Reach (that I assume is Games On Demand).

Very tempting.

Edit: Actually it sounds like the copy of Reach might be a disc printed in some new format. That significantly reduces my interest, the only reason I'd care for a free copy of Reach would be if I could launch it from the hard drive...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ncsuDuncan said:

Looks like signing up for the System Update preview nets you a copy of Reach (that I assume is Games On Demand).

Very tempting.

Didn't the last Dashboard beta muck around folks? I remember hearing folks complain that because they were in the beta, they had problems joining non-beta folks in parties across and chats and whatnot.

Not surprised they are incentivising it this time. And, as usual, the master races of non-US residency are not participating. It's about time the US stop being jealous of our awesome non-US ways.

Dani said:
Didn't the last Dashboard beta muck around folks? I remember hearing folks complain that because they were in the beta, they had problems joining non-beta folks in parties across and chats and whatnot.

Well the last Dashboard preview explicitly stated that Beta participants could not join party chats with non-Beta people. It's because they were testing the new audio codecs and they wouldn't be compatible. People were warned ahead of time.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ncsuDuncan said:
Well the last Dashboard preview explicitly stated that Beta participants could not join party chats with non-Beta people. It's because they were testing the new audio codecs and they wouldn't be compatible. People were warned ahead of time.

I remember a few other complaints in addition. It's a beta for a reason after all.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Dani said:

The last beta involved changing the audio codec for voice chat so those participating were left in the mute zone for a short period. I don't know all the specifics, but I don't believe this beta will involve anything codec related so take that however you like.

ncsuDuncan said:

Very tempting.

Edit: Actually it sounds like the copy of Reach might be a disc printed in some new format. That significantly reduces my interest, the only reason I'd care for a free copy of Reach would be if I could launch it from the hard drive...
Ah shizzle, you must be near your console to register for this... it wants serial ### and console ID ### Perhaps I can try again when I leave work tonight. Getting another copy of Reach is a strange perk for this, I wonder why they're doing that. Obviously they want people to sign up but I'd think they'd be able to get plenty of folks just on the basis of gaining access to pre-release material.
EDIT: @ Dani> makes sense now that you put it that way. Bugs, especially ones that can render your console unusable, are a considerable risk.

Account Attempt #4 said:
Ah shizzle, you must be near your console to register for this... it wants serial ### and console ID ### Perhaps I can try again when I leave work tonight. Getting another copy of Reach is a strange perk for this, I wonder why they're doing that. Obviously they want people to sign up but I'd think they'd be able to get plenty of folks just on the basis of gaining access to pre-release material.

Well from what I hear on Twitter, this update preview won't be distributed as a download - it's an actual disc they're going to mail you.
The reasoning behind it is that they're testing out a new format for Xbox discs (I assume as an anti-piracy measure but who knows). So what better way to test whether the update is working or not than by also mailing these people a copy of Reach printed on the new disc format.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ncsuDuncan said:

Very tempting.

Signed up!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ncsuDuncan said:
Well from what I hear on Twitter, this update preview won't be distributed as a download - it's an actual disc they're going to mail you.
The reasoning behind it is that they're testing out a new format for Xbox discs (I assume as an anti-piracy measure but who knows). So what better way to test whether the update is working or not than by also mailing these people a copy of Reach printed on the new disc format.

Interesting. Wonder if it will have any significant impact on the end consumer?

Steelyuhas said:
(Got to remember that most players of shooters these days have been call of dutyfied and hates objective gametypes :/ )
its such a shame because bungie did so much hard work to foster objective players throughout halo 3 and continue to support it so well with reachs playlists oh no!

no idea why the halo community only gets as close as griff ball for their objective fix when the geniouses at bungie birthed such revolutionary game modes like stockpile headhunter and hold the exploding bomb

maybe people in the classic playlist would not mind the occasional objective game as long as it wasnt two flag and they kept that cheating juggling out

imagine headhunting on lockout!

Louis Wu

Hitmonchan107 said:
Edit: Also, what the crap is going on with my avatar? Can someone help me?

This displeases Lady Godga.
I can't get to your original avatar, but I grabbed a clean copy of her OK image from the web and thumbnailed it; you're welcome to link to this as an avatar, if you choose. (The bandwidth for this sort of file is essentially unlimited. :) )

http://files.smallbits.com/images/hmc_ladygaga.jpg

hmc_ladygaga.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
After showing up several times right after release, I haven't played Unearthed in Firefight Limited since. It's been over 35 games since it last came up.

I suppose it's too late to ask for an Unearthed Grab Bag playlist? I never did understand why one wasn't put out.

Now you know how those of us feeling playing multiplayer all day and not being rewarding for buying maps.

ncsuDuncan said:

Very tempting.

It is a disc. I have been in this program for about a month or so I think. I have had no issues with the dashboard software, and haven't had any issues joining parties (that was because they changed the audio codec for parties).

Playlist update NAOW!!!!!

Steelyuhas said:
Now you know how those of us feeling playing multiplayer all day and not being rewarding for buying maps.

Playlist update NAOW!!!!!

I still feel like players who purchased the last halo 3 map pack and both Reach packs were royally shafted.

I haven't seen any Noble maps in matchmaking outside of the playlist and only one defiant.

IT SUCKS

Louis Wu

Lead Based Paint said:
I still feel like players who purchased the last halo 3 map pack and both Reach packs were royally shafted.

I haven't seen any Noble maps in matchmaking outside of the playlist and only one defiant.

IT SUCKS
Interesting. I played 3 BTB games last night - one of those three was on Tempest.

(I got Tempest in BTB two nights ago, too.)

Not a huge sample, I know - but isn't that sort of the point?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lead Based Paint said:

IT SUCKS

Are you playing alone? If not, do your friends all have the map packs? If not blame them.

Top Bottom