• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

OuterWorldVoice said:

Fair enough.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Okay, I had to play at least one Team Classic game tonight.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=545828135&player=Hitmonchan107

I'm curious: Why don't we have health regeneration?

Jroderton said:
I was also wondering about that. And if I'm not mistaken, isn't fall damage off in this playlist?

Fall damage is off I think. The classic playlist appears to be a hybrid of mechanics from H:CE/H2. Fall damage being off is something from H2 and health not regenerating is something from H:CE.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This weeks montage is code named, "Weakly montage" lol It's been so hard to get some decent clips. I'm just cruching to get in as many games in as I can. I feel like I'm trying to write a paper that'd due tomorrow and I've only got the intro done LOL. Ugh, so annoying.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hey Frankie, can you promise me that the Halo series for now and its foreseeable future will never have/sell online passes?

Thermite

Trasher's finest moment in Reach: http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=545797841&player=Thermight!

qz2hzq.jpg

GhaleonEB

Haloball is awesome.

Haloball Extreme was confusing, and then awesome.

Speedflag is fantastic.

We just played Speedpile on Hemorrhage. As soon as we realized we didn't have to get out of vehicles to pick up flags, it got super awesome.

Awesome update is awesome.

I only played Hockey once, but it was extremely hard to score a goal. I think the goalposts need to be wide. And most of the time the ball was at the sides of the map.

Edit: I enjoyed it otherwise though.

Trasher

Hitmonchan107 said:
Announcer: "Lake Minnetonka'd! GET THE F*** OUT."

But really man, what happened that game?
We just got destroyed lol. Pretty much every time we exposed ourselves or tried to move around the map we would get at least two or three of them team-shooting us. Was rough. And of course the spawns on Lockout go without saying lol.

Havok

I don't think I'll ever understand the classic love as long as grenades remain the nukes that they are currently. If Bungie has the ability to tune weapons for specific playlists, that needs to happen ASAP. As it is, it doesn't feel like Halo 1 or 2, it's just a constant grenade fest and AR spray and pray. Combine that with generally spotty spawns (the Rat Race remake is a nightmare in this regard) and it feels like a mess (which is very much a cause of the giant grenade blast radius combined with the damage increase), not like the tightly controlled games I remember playing all those years ago.

Action Sack was at least interesting. Some of the stuff needs work (people should be immune to assassinations in Hockey, otherwise it turns into people running around smacking people in the back), but it was fun enough for the time I played it.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I only played Hockey once, but it was extremely hard to score a goal. I think the goalposts need to be wide. And most of the time the ball was at the sides of the map.

Edit: I enjoyed it otherwise though.
Well, just like real hockey nothing happens for 98% of the game!

Assassinations need to be disabled. It quickly turned into a game of the other team chasing us around going for assassinations rather than trying to score goals. Very fun otherwise, Griffball just met its match.

Just had a Power Slayer game, and I didn't like that at all. The game doesn't communicate what power up you have, so I had no idea how to leverage it.

Trasher said:
We just got destroyed lol. Pretty much every time we exposed ourselves or tried to move around the map we would get at least two or three of them team-shooting us. Was rough. And of course the spawns on Lockout go without saying lol.
have you tried griff ball?

Lazslo

kylej said:
"The Halo 3 Legendary Edition is so limited that people in our studio can't get them" - Bungie Podcast, Pre-Halo 3 release.

Wait another 6 months until that thing is $19.99.
Yeah man I remember hearing or reading something like that pre-launch. I'm not hating though, I'm sure the Bungie guys were told this from their publisher, I doubt they would say something like that to push sales since they don't make much from numbers like that. I got the Halo 3 Cat Chief Legendary Edition from New-Egg around February of 2010 for $29.99. I couldn't help but to buy it- The Halo 1/2 Cut-Scene commentary was so well worth the redundancy.

-Also does anyone know where I can donate my Kinect to? (somewhere it will help kids) I'm thinking Child's Play but I don't know anything about them or if they even take personal donations like that. I'm about to research it now but any information would help.

Trasher

Havok said:
I don't think I'll ever understand the classic love as long as grenades remain the nukes that they are currently. If Bungie has the ability to tune weapons for specific playlists, that needs to happen ASAP. As it is, it doesn't feel like Halo 1 or 2, it's just a constant grenade fest and AR spray and pray. Combine that with generally spotty spawns (the Rat Race remake is a nightmare in this regard) and it feels like a mess (which is very much a cause of the giant grenade blast radius combined with the damage increase), not like the tightly controlled games I remember playing all those years ago.
Grenades are outta control. If there was a "tool of your death" stat, mine would probably always be grenades. In Halo 3 it was bad enough with just the spam, but now in Reach it can be both the spam and the ridiculous damage. I really wish that all you ever got was one or two grenades per spawn, and that you couldn't pick up the extra grenades that people drop when they die.

GhaleonEB said:
Well, just like real hockey noting happens for 98% of the game!
Well I dun watch hockey!
Assassinations need to be disabled. It quickly turned into a game of the other team chasing us around going for assassinations rather than trying to score goals. Very fun otherwise, Griffball just met its match.
Forgot to mention that. Yeah, a lot of the times it was one time trying to assassinate the other.

Trasher said:
Grenades are outta control. If there was a "tool of your death" stat, mine would probably always be grenades. In Halo 3 it was bad enough with just the spam, but now in Reach it can be both the spam and the ridiculous damage. I really wish that all you ever got was one or two grenades per spawn, and that you couldn't pick up the extra grenades that people drop when they die.

I guess theres not really anything in your "tool of destruction" stat either

ZIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGG

GhaleonEB said:
Well, just like real hockey noting happens for 98% of the game!

Just had a Power Slayer game, and I didn't like that at all. The game doesn't communicate what power up you have, so I had no idea how to leverage it.

my thoughts exactly!

power slayer has so much potential, but as of right now, it seems to be an incoherent mess. that's probably somewhat because we played it on uncaged, though.

Haloball is amazing, my buddy and i were astounded. Haloball xtreme sounds more aggravating than enjoyable...

cannot wait to play speedpile. is speedflag just one-flag speedpile, basically?

GhaleonEB

oddworld18 said:
cannot wait to play speedpile. is speedflag just one-flag speedpile, basically?
Yes, with touch return. It was awesome.

Edit: my opinion of Unearthed has been tilting gradually. I've been wanting more time on it, but now that I've had a couple, I'm realizing more and more that the Rocket Hog was such a huge mistake that it makes the map unfun to play on. The Hog itself is terrible, but it's also not fun to be on foot while that thing is going around stirring guys up. It's like trying to swat hornets while someone is kicking the nest.

Jeremiah has (correctly) put a lot of emphasis on frame rate quality when reviewing community maps for playlist integration. And on that basis, I have no idea how Glacier go into matchmaking. It's an unplayable mess.

pakkit

Banned
Sheeeit. I took a hiatus from Reach to play through Crysis 2's campaign (great btw, highly recommended), but reading about these playlist updates is getting me charged up for some good ol' Halo.

Havok said:

Action Sack was at least interesting. Some of the stuff needs work (people should be immune to assassinations in Hockey, otherwise it turns into people running around smacking people in the back), but it was fun enough for the time I played it.
Barrow Roll said:
So in the wake of the Classic and Action Sack playlists it seems everyone has forgotten about the small change they made to The Arena. Evade is gone. You know what else they changed but didn't announce? Grenade starts is back to 1.

Sprint, Jetpack, Hologram
1 Grenade
AR/DMR starts

I just played a match and I gotta say, I think this is the definitive Slayer playlist for me and I'm going to tell you why. But first, here are my thoughts on Classic.

I don't like Classic. Reach isn't classic Halo, and it never will be no matter how much you try to tweak or emulate the old settings. I would have been an advocate of faster movement speed before but now that I've had some time with it, I don't think it works with Reach. Hitting faster moving targets with single-shot precision weapons constantly afflicted with bloom that are still 5sk is an exercise in frustration. The movement speed worked in previous titles because the weapons were designed to work in that environment, this just feels sloppy.

ARs got beefed up unnecessarily, so that Magnum is pretty worthless in close range now. Grenades also got an unnecessary power boost from the already strong Reach nades. Non Rifle gametypes boil down to AR and Grenade fests which just aren't fun. You still have to contend with the overpowered grenades in Rifle gametypes too.

I also feel like some of the maps just aren't meshing well with the settings. That Midship remake is totally borked, it plays nothing like it should. And they're ugly as sin, but that's Forge World for you.

Now if you can accept or deal with Reach as a different spin on Halo, then The Arena should be your new home. The DMR/NR and bloom work much better with the default movement speed. The 3 chosen AAs are pretty balanced with their pros and cons. Single grenade starts is a godsend with the buffed Reach grenades. Always DMR/AR starts. The maps are the Reach maps, you either hate them or accept them but at least they aren't all grey. It's very enjoyable and cuts down on a lot of the bullshit.
Right there with you dawg, among some other gripes I have with Classic. DMR and bloom just don't feel suited to the movement speed.

krakov

Messed around for a few games in the classic playlist, and since I never played the multiplayer of Halo CE or 2 I don't have any nostalgic bounds to the levels or the "feel" I guess. Not sure what I think yet but I also think it feels a bit messy, or floaty if you will, maybe I'll get used to it, it's refreshing to play without AAs for a change.

I had two games on Hydra XXIII, both rifles and slayer and I must say I really like that map. Was easy to understand the basic layout and fun to get around, I'm guessing this is the kind of thing some of you feel is missing in the Reach maps.

GloveSlap

I thought I was going to like classic a lot more than i do. The bloom is even more annoying and frustrating with the classic settings, and it pretty much ruins the whole thing. The game feels even sloppier in classic IMO.The pistol's small clip becomes even more of an issue as well, but DMR starts seem to come up a lot.

Arena is good now that all of the stupid AAs are gone. Hopefully the population of it will gradually increase.

Barrow Roll said:
Right there with you dawg, among some other gripes I have with Classic. DMR and bloom just don't feel suited to the movement speed.

I understand that people don't like the classic playlist, but you are doing yourself a crime if you are using the DMR in the classic playlist, the NR is superior on 110 damage. That's why the playlist has 110 damage.

Steelyuhas said:
I understand that people don't like the classic playlist, but you are doing yourself a crime if you are using the DMR in the classic playlist, the NR is superior on 110 damage. That's why the playlist has 110 damage.
I use both the DMR and NR, but I didn't know that the NR was outright better now. It's besides the point though, just using the NR doesn't fix my problems with the gametype and playlist. I'm glad others are enjoying it though.

Kibbles

GloveSlap said:
I thought I was going to like classic a lot more than i do. The bloom is even more annoying and frustrating with the classic settings, and it pretty much ruins the whole thing. The game feels even sloppier in classic IMO.The pistol's small clip becomes even more of an issue as well, but DMR starts seem to come up a lot.

Arena is good now that all of the stupid AAs are gone. Hopefully the population of it will gradually increase.
I agree, although I only got one game of classic in (Rifles on Battle Creek), the bloom was annoying and it felt slow shooting with the dmr rather than battle rifle. I guess it feels more similar to Halo 1 with the healthpacks and DMR/Nerfle functioning like the pistol, but with bloom >.>

Ramirez

Classic is ok fun, it's not a replacement for those wanting that classic feeling though. I still feel MLG has the best settings. Some of the maps in classic have some serious scale issues, Lockout in particular makes me motion sick because I feel like I'm going way too fast. :|

Grenades are out of control, couldn't count the times tonight where I was behind cover, but the grenade would still kill me, lol. Overall, it's a fun diversion, but being Slayer only atm, I don't see myself playing much of it unless my party dictates it. :p Throw some Multi Flag, Assault, and 1 Flag in there, then it might become my favorite playlist.

I played the classic playlist and couldn't really get into it. I really like not having armor abilities, but that's just one problem out of a huge list of things that annoy me about Reach. I'm humored to no end that a classic playlist was even made. How hard is it to make a Halo game that follows in the example of CE and Halo2, where people don't constantly wish for the old maps and weapon characteristics? Halo has become a broken track record of weird changes and deviations from the norm.

I despised Halo3 quite a bit, but now even I kind of want to start playing that again over Reach. Every game has at least one person that quits out, or worse, a player that afk's for credits, which is just a disaster. Those are common problems within any FPS, I know. But then I have to put up with bloom which just shits on my face, because I choose not to use power weapons, the needler, and the assault rifle.

I vomit every time a game starts, because everyone is so predictable. Power weapons are just a crutch for good gameplay and it's so pathetic to see people rush off to get the power weapons and the sniper rifle at the start of every game instead of just focusing on pure shooting. Power weapons should be a nice bonus when you can get your hands on them, and not a means to control a game. My K/D ratio is not real impressive, but it's that way out of refusal to conform to what Halo has become. I've always been a big fan of strategy (team movement, zergs, distraction), but the Halo games continually put more and more emphasis on power weapons being the main strategy. What can I say? I hate it. I can't stand the invis campers, the power locking whores, and the power-weapon-wielding sprinters, all of which I say are pathetic.

And while it's cool that firefight and invasion were introduced into the game, all that really means is that we get one new matchmaking map for every map pack instead of 3-4. I'm not a big enough fan of firefight and invasion to the degree that i think it's worth the resources taken away from slayer-like games which are the core of Halo. I don't want to purchase a map pack for one map that I'll enjoy.

Tunavi

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
And while it's cool that firefight and invasion were introduced into the game, all that really means is that we get one new matchmaking map for every map pack instead of 3-4. I'm not a big enough fan of firefight and invasion to the degree that i think it's worth the resources taken away from slayer-like games which are the core of Halo. I don't want to purchase a map pack for one map that I'll enjoy.
Invasion IS core Halo; it combines slayer, objective, vehicle based combat, and gunplay into one game. And Bungie's enemy AI is one of the reason's why Halo:CE became famous. 4v4 slayer isn't the only way to play Halo.

GhaleonEB

Deputy Moonman said:
I vomit every time a game starts, because everyone is so predictable. Power weapons are just a crutch for good gameplay and it's so pathetic to see people rush off to get the power weapons and the sniper rifle at the start of every game instead of just focusing on pure shooting. Power weapons should be a nice bonus when you can get your hands on them, and not a means to control a game.
Um....what? Ever heard the term 'rocket rush'?

The opening rush for power weapons has been a defining characteristic of Halo's gameplay from the first game onward.

Striker

Tunavi said:
Invasion IS core Halo; it combines slayer, objective, vehicle based combat, and gunplay into one game. And Bungie's enemy AI is one of the reason's why Halo:CE became famous. 4v4 slayer isn't the only way to play Halo.
Firefight, notably, is one type of mode that isn't a big novelty for most players. I find it fun for spurts and moments pending my mood, but it isn't something I'll constantly pop in my disc and want to play on a day to day basis. I suppose part to blame would be map quality - there's only a select few I really had top fun playing, one being 343i's Unearthed. Many others just shake out not very fun.

As for Invasion, I agree it does combine many aspects. In terms of adding objective, it adds mostly Territories, which truth be told, isn't exactly the most popular skirmish variant. They could have had it as territory01, assault02, and capture the core03. Basically how Breakpoint breaks it down. It was a nice attempt from Bungie to give their fans another gametype that features large amount of players, but even then it seems rather less massive than its initial hype. It also kind of stripped out the core of the big-game based Halo, Big Team Battle, and near neutered it in map quality. Perhaps it was good written on paper, but in hindsight it maybe wasn't the best idea for the last Halo game you made.

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
Firefight, notably, is one type of mode that isn't a big novelty for most players. I find it fun for spurts and moments pending my mood, but it isn't something I'll constantly pop in my disc and want to play on a day to day basis. I suppose part to blame would be map quality - there's only a select few I really had top fun playing, one being 343i's Unearthed. Many others just shake out not very fun.

As for Invasion, I agree it does combine many aspects. In terms of adding objective, it adds mostly Territories, which truth be told, isn't exactly the most popular skirmish variant. They could have had it as territory01, assault02, and capture the core03. Basically how Breakpoint breaks it down. It was a nice attempt from Bungie to give their fans another gametype that features large amount of players, but even then it seems rather less massive than its initial hype. It also kind of stripped out the core of the big-game based Halo, Big Team Battle, and near neutered it in map quality. Perhaps it was good written on paper, but in hindsight it maybe wasn't the best idea for the last Halo game you made.
I like what they were going for, but since Invasion just turned out to be Territories, Assault and CTF stitched together, I think Invasion would have been better served being a gametype structure that could be applied to existing game types, and then folded into other playlists - especially BTB. Call it Escalation, with a similar tier system to Invasion. But then you'd be able to configure it for any game type (Escalation CTF, Escalation Slayer, etc.) or build the tiered objective game that Invasion is.

And in that way eliminate the need for a new playlist and set of maps built around it.

GhaleonEB said:
Um....what? Ever heard the term 'rocket rush'?

The opening rush for power weapons has been a defining characteristic of Halo's gameplay from the first game onward.

Ghaleon's right on this. It happens in every shooter with pickups.

Top Bottom