• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
To be fair to Juices, at least he made sense and backed up what he said. Moonman's rants are bumfluffy dandruff at this point.
I dig the new juices. He's as on point as ever but with a delivery that goes down smoother.

I wish Evade were kept to the Elite game types. I had guys in Power Slayer with what I think was juiced up speed evading and they might as well have been teleporting around me.

Dani said:
To be fair to Juices, at least he made sense and backed up what he said. Moonman's rants are bumfluffy dandruff at this point.

I actually agree with him, power weapons have been a staple of Halo BUT they have never been so Rock Paper Scissory before. On older Halo with a little skill you could take out the power weapon dude, but in Reach with the Rocket blast radius/ The Sniper autoaim and the severe lack of movement you quite frankly cant do anything.

I used to play Halo 3 with just my trusty BR most of the time, I would pass up things like rockets simply because I found the core BR play more fun, with Reach abusing the power weapons really is the way to go.

bobs99 ... said:
I actually agree with him, power weapons have been a staple of Halo BUT they have never been so Rock Paper Scissory before. On older Halo with a little skill you could take out the power weapon dude, but in Reach with the Rocket blast radius/ The Sniper autoaim and the severe lack of movement you quite frankly cant do anything.

I used to play Halo 3 with just my trusty BR most of the time, I would pass up things like rockets simply because I found the core BR play more fun, with Reach abusing the power weapons really is the way to go.
BR>AR.

Gui_PT

Deputy Moonman, in all seriousness, why do you still play Reach?

And that "it's the only FPS that's closest to what I want" excuse doesn't really hold up anymore.

I mean, there has to be at least one game that doesn't make you want to "vomit"

Also, I'm still waiting on that LE Statue, brah =P

Btw, who wants to party up for a few games?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm gonna keep it brief but changes I'd like to see in Classic:

-Spawns to be fixed on Prophet, Magus, High Noon, Noble Creek and any other map with wonky enemy spawning next to me spawns
-Needle Rifle Primary for Rifle games since it does more damage
-Jump height should be tweaked as in slightly lowered
-Grenades absolutely need to be taken down a notch, even with the increased speed and jump height the nade-ability on these maps is just insane and the damage with that radius is just too much.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I got the OK from a mod to make the MLG Dallas thread. It goes up tomorrow. My old teammates are called THO Rocket Power. That's who you guys gotta root for in the Amateur bracket. :p

Jroderton said:
Sure is. Too bad no one ever fucking votes for it.

This right here is probably my only gripe with a voting system.

I never get to play any objective gametypes anymore in playlist with slayer as well.

I would literally have to get a party of 6 in the defiant map pack just to play some of the games I want to. Unfortunately I don't have 5 other friends with the maps outside of HaloGAF.

Games need forced gametypes sometimes. Because I know I won't be seeing any of these maps in team objective.

Tashi0106 said:
I got the OK from a mod to make the MLG Dallas thread. It goes up tomorrow. My old teammates are called THO Rocket Power. That's who you guys gotta root for in the Amateur bracket. :p
By chance what is the meaning behind 'THO'? The prefixes on team names are kind of irritating, heh. Unless it's something pretty well known which it never is. Not yours though Tashi. Yours is rad.

Anyone play that gametype called "4SK" in matchmaking? I just did, DMR was a 4 shot, and you spawned with DMR and Pistol.

You didn't spawn with nades and there were no power weapons.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Account Attempt #4 said:
By chance what is the meaning behind 'THO'? The prefixes on team names are kind of irritating, heh. Unless it's something pretty well known which it never is. Not yours though Tashi. Yours is rad.

THO stands for "The Hang Out" It's a LAN Center. They're sponsoring my old team and a Pro team. :) Those prefixes usually represent the sponsor.

Ramirez

Gui_PT said:
Deputy Moonman, in all seriousness, why do you still play Reach?

And that "it's the only FPS that's closest to what I want" excuse doesn't really hold up anymore.

I mean, there has to be at least one game that doesn't make you want to "vomit"

Also, I'm still waiting on that LE Statue, brah =P

Btw, who wants to party up for a few games?

In all seriousness why do you guys still care about what he posts? Like I said, he has a right to say or do or play whatever he wants, doesn't mean you, dax, hydra, and ghaleon have to reply to him every time with some witty comment.

Tashi0106 said:
THO stands for "The Hang Out" It's a LAN Center. They're sponsoring my old team and a Pro team. :) Those prefixes usually represent the sponsor.
Thanks! That actually makes plenty of sense. It actually has a function in this case. Good luck to your team! Hopefully your sponsor can help get you to the next event.

xxjuicesxx said:
Further review in theater its pretty obvious at points, like when zooming across Asylum with sniper, very similar to that. Especially if theres a nade going off or an enemy or two. Smoke effect seems to destroy Reach's frame rate. Look at Winter Contigency pulling up to that first stand off where the DMR is in the door way the other broken door way with the smoke drops the frame rate real low, thats always reproduceable too.
I've long since decided that people who don't see Reach's framerate problems are experiencing some weird form of cognitive dissonance (or just aren't that sensitive to it, I guess). It's really bad in places, and reproducible, like you said. It doesn't bother me so much in campaign, but the numerous known drops in MP are so bad I go out of my way to avoid scoping in some spots because I know it'll throw my aim off. It's a shame even the newer maps like Condemned have these issues (scoping across the low-grav section).

Edit: and it's a crying shame on Tempest, too

JonCha

Agreed that people should shut up replying / laughing / mocking etc. if they don't agree with Moonman. Just because you don't agree, it doesn't mean he's wrong. Most competitive players would probably agree with the fundamental arguments - vs armour abilities, power weapons, bloom - he has made. Sometimes it seems here that it's one way or the highway.

Ramirez said:
In all seriousness why do you guys still care about what he posts? Like I said, he has a right to say or do or play whatever he wants, doesn't mean you, dax, hydra, and ghaleon have to reply to him every time with some witty comment.
Dude, do we not have the same rights and whatnot to post our opinions to his opinions on Halo? Defeats the purpose of a forum if one lot can't express their opinions. Heck, you jst added another layer to it! Where does it end Ram? Where does it end?

Gui_PT

Ramirez said:

I've been "ignoring" his posts for weeks.

I just decided to ask him this time why he still plays the game.

Btw, think I found a bunch of kids stupider than the ones Sai found on Swordbase.

Was playing Living Dead because it's the fastest way to get some kills and the 5 wins(if I'm playing solo)

And this happened:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15927033&player=Monolith Gui

It's 1:13 long, if Circle T is around to get rid of some more of his points. If not, just give it a look on youx 360. Not worth wasting points on this.

GhaleonEB

Just played with a lovely fellow named Time is Credits who played for two minutes, then was rubber banding the rest of the game in Firefight Arcade. He's a Legend in rank. Dude has it figured out. (He was alongside another AFK player.)

There are lots of issues with Reach that have been a problem in previous games that didn't get addressed, which surprised me. But no kind of in-game booting system or idle ban is the most surprising to me.

Gui_PT said:
I've been "ignoring" his posts for weeks.

I just decided to ask him this time why he still plays the game.

Btw, think I found a bunch of kids stupider than the ones Sai found on Swordbase.

Was playing Living Dead because it's the fastest way to get some kills and the 5 wins(if I'm playing solo)

And this happened:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15927033&player=Monolith Gui

It's 1:13 long, if Circle T is around to get rid of some more of his points. If not, just give it a look on youx 360. Not worth wasting points on this.
I'll be the judge of what's not worth rendering!!! Done...
Sai's were stupider IMHO, lol

Just got of a 3 our playing session,

First, I'm liking the Arena without evade. I already was playing season 7 and I thought it was a much better experience since it was about winning as a team but now, there are no idiots, rolling in your face and swording/shotgun you.

Then, we got on playing some classic and I must say, I LOVE IT.
Even though I had some bad teammates, I was loving every moment of it. In the first 2 games, I did have to ajust to the new movement speed but now I got used to it and the smooth jumping <3

Just wanna say that this is a great matchmaking update, thanks Bungie.

JonCha said:
Agreed that people should shut up replying / laughing / mocking etc. if they don't agree with Moonman. Just because you don't agree, it doesn't mean he's wrong. Most competitive players would probably agree with the fundamental arguments - vs armour abilities, power weapons, bloom - he has made. Sometimes it seems here that it's one way or the highway.
When has anyone ever told him he was wrong?

With the amount of 'critiquing' Reach gets arond here I actually find that the highway you speak off often goes in the other direction. Go on bungie.net and you will see that most people will post when they have a problem with the game. The same can be said for here to some extent. The ratio of people who post because they enjoy the game compared to those who post because they don't like it is a bit more even here given the registering nature of Gaf. Hek, that's why I joined Gaf, so I could get away from all that.

The Real Napsta said:
Anyone play that gametype called "4SK" in matchmaking? I just did, DMR was a 4 shot, and you spawned with DMR and Pistol.

You didn't spawn with nades and there were no power weapons.

Yeah its 4sk to the dome and 5sk to the body, which is awful.

JonCha

Hydranockz said:
When has anyone ever told him he was wrong?

With the amount of 'critiquing' Reach gets arond here I actually find that the highway you speak off often goes in the other direction. Go on bungie.net and you will see that most people will post when they have a problem with the game. The same can be said for here to some extent. The ratio of people who post because they enjoy the game compared to those who post because they don't like it is a bit more even here given the registering nature of Gaf. Hek, that's why I joined Gaf, so I could get away from all that.

No-one has said he is wrong, but some messages seem to reflect that kind of opinion.

And I agree. Bungie.net is a horrible forum - abuse-filled and full of teens and tweens (though not completely). I registered for Gaf because you can actually have a proper discussion.

I've been away for a while, but as i've been browsing this thread, I've seen a lot people wish that this game played more like Halo 2. If you were a child/teenager when you first played Halo 2, and if it was your first serious exposure to Halo/shooters in general, I could understand some sense of overpowering nostalgia for the quirks of its gameplay.

However, if you were an adult when you played Halo 2, I would really like to hear your reason (or reasons) why you are pining for the first time we finished the fight.

I'm not trying to troll or bait anyone. I would just like to attempt to understand.

Falagard

OldMattacus said:
I've been away for a while, but as i've been browsing this thread, I've seen a lot people wish that this game played more like Halo 2. If you were a child/teenager when you first played Halo 2, and if it was your first serious exposure to Halo/shooters in general, I could understand some sense of overpowering nostalgia for the quirks of its gameplay.

However, if you were an adult when you played Halo 2, I would really like to hear your reason (or reasons) why you are pining for the first time we finished the fight.

I'm not trying to troll or bait anyone. I would just like to attempt to understand.

I was adult when I played Halo 1, let alone 2 :)

Halo 2 was the best in the series for multiplayer because of the core game mechanics and the maps. The maps were amazing, including the shipping maps and the DLC afterwards.

The gameplay was pure, not bogged down with extraneous things like equipment and armor abilities. The golden tripod was perfect.

The maps on the whole were sublime.

New features like forge, theatre mode, firefight, map vetoing, better netcode, better graphics, hit scan weapons, new weapons, vehicles, maps, game modes, etc. are all great in newer versions of Halo, but they should have kept the basic core gameplay. The golden tripod has fallen.

wwm0nkey

Falagard said:
I was adult when I played Halo 1, let alone 2 :)

Halo 2 was the best in the series for multiplayer because of the core game mechanics and the maps. The maps were amazing, including the shipping maps and the DLC afterwards.

The gameplay was pure, not bogged down with extraneous things like equipment and armor abilities. The golden tripod was perfect.

The maps on the whole were sublime.

New features like forge, theatre mode, firefight, map vetoing, better netcode, better graphics, hit scan weapons, new weapons, vehicles, maps, game modes, etc. are all great in newer versions of Halo, but they should have kept the basic core gameplay. The golden tripod has fallen.
you are my new favorite person.

GhaleonEB

I thought the overall sandbox was quite broken in Halo 2, and was repaired back to form in Halo 3. The balance between grenades/melee/guns was corrected, and the infantry/vehicle balance was nailed. Equipment was an addition that did not have a detrimental impact on the pace of combat.

I agree about the maps, though. Halo 2 was when Halo's map design hit its peak (with a few notable exceptions since).

bobs99 ... said:

While it's true that "Power weapon importance" is ratched up in Reach from H3, it's still less than Halo 2, where the infinate ammo sword, easier-than-reach sniper rifle, lock on rockets, and broken ass power weapon spawns made that initial rush even more important.

Take Collossus for example, look how the single sniper rifle on that map completely broke it.

Reach falls somewhere between 2 and 3 in terms of the role of power weapons, except for a couple of poor map decisions (Pro variant of boardwalk... ammo counts in countdown...), which is a fine place to be IMO, as it helps to prompt some very entertaining fights every 3 minutes.

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
Nothing about Halo 2's sandbox or gameplay was perfect. It was broken beyond repair.
I dont care if it was broken and I dont care about the glitches what I do care about is that it was fun, and was it fun? Yes.

Again not looking at this game through nostalgia glasses either I have been playing it with friends and was playing it pretty much every day last month. The game is just flat out fun.

Falagard said:
The golden tripod has fallen.

The new table with four legs can hold a lot more stuff, but it's also a bit wobblier than the smaller table with three legs.

What if the next game had five: Weapons, Grenades, Melee, Armor Abilities, Force Powers (Lightning, Push, Choke, and... Persuasion)

GhaleonEB said:
I thought the overall sandbox was quite broken in Halo 2, and was repaired back to form in Halo 3. The balance between grenades/melee/guns was corrected, and the infantry/vehicle balance was nailed. Equipment was an addition that did not have a detrimental impact on the pace of combat.

I agree about the maps, though. Halo 2 was when Halo's map design hit its peak (with a few notable exceptions since).

I think that H2's sandbox was superior in every way to H3's for each of the reasons that you posted, except that I think each of those is much better in H2 haha. Balance between grenades/melee/guns, infantry/vehicle balance, and balance between the weapons themselves. An XLBA arcade remake with a great netcode would be unbelievable IMO.

Obviously I think we can all agree that H2's maps were great.

Speaking of maps, it was sad playing classic yesterday and wondering what the hell happened to Bungie's maps in the last 2 games.

ncsuDuncan said:
The new table with four legs can hold a lot more stuff, but it's also a bit wobblier than the smaller table with three legs.

What if the next game had five: Weapons, Grenades, Melee, Armor Abilities, Force Powers (Lightning, Push, Choke, and... Persuasion)
You convinced me!

I was a full grown man for Halo, 2, 3 etc and never LAN'd or ran XBConnect... The inclusion of Xbox Live for Halo 2 really stepped it up exponentially in caliber for me in comparison to CE. Assault on Terminal/ Headlong/ hell even Containment and one flag on Relic. Oh god, if I could have that back. Just leave out the smg starts please. The maps were/are glorious. The DLC was glorious... oh god the DLC. The introduction of the party system and rotating matchmaking hoppers, a revolutionary system which other games finally started emulating much later. The Clan system. So much of why I love Halo stemmed from Halo 2 even though I was in from day one with CE. I've happily adopted Halo in all its evolutions since, but Halo 2 rests in my heart as the first and probably best online Halo experience (hax/standbys/smg starts aside lol). All of this is my personal opinion/recollection of course.

wwm0nkey said:
I dont care if it was broken and I dont care about the glitches what I do care about is that it was fun, and was it fun? Yes.
The funnest aspect about Halo 2 was doing glitches in custom games. It's a shame I had more fun doing glitches than playing the actual game, but there it is.

Account Attempt #4 said:
I was a full grown man for Halo, 2, 3 etc and never LAN'd or ran XBConnect... The inclusion of Xbox Live for Halo 2 really stepped it up exponentially in caliber for me in comparison to CE. Assault on Terminal/ Headlong/ hell even Containment and one flag on Relic. Oh god, if I could have that back. Just leave out the smg starts please. The maps were/are glorious. The DLC was glorious... oh god the DLC. The introduction of the party system and rotating matchmaking hoppers, a revolutionary system which other games finally started emulating much later. The Clan system. So much of why I love Halo stemmed from Halo 2 even though I was in from day one with CE. I've happily adopted Halo in all its evolutions since, but Halo 2 rests in my heart as the first and probably best online Halo experience (hax/standbys/smg starts aside lol). All of this is my personal opinion/recollection of course.

The DLC implementation in H2 was better than H3 and Reach. shock.gif

Top Bottom