• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Louis Wu

Sai-kun said:
I'm not proud but...

Buck Wild!
Holy...

I haven't seen that sort of stupidity since the Beta. I want to play against your enemies. :(

(Not to take away from the achievement; even though they were morons, you still did a fine job of staying alive, and not missing a shot. :) )

JonCha

Played some Action Sack. Don't really get any of the gametypes. Power Slayer seemed almost redundant with its bonuses, Hockey was people focusing entirely on assassinations (remove these and you've got quite a fun gametype) and the HaloBall (or whatever it's called) was sorta fun. It was actually a little challenging to find where to hit the ball.

Classic is also generally much better than regular Reach. The only downside is that on smaller maps 'nades dominate too much.

Thermite said:
Trasher's finest moment in Reach: http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=545797841&player=Thermight!

qz2hzq.jpg

WTF? An Anti-perfection?

Ramirez said:
Getting lumped into jokes with juices, oh how I've fallen.

I feel like I'm being made fun of in this here post, but I can't be too sure...

GhaleonEB said:
Yes, with touch return. It was awesome.

Edit: my opinion of Unearthed has been tilting gradually. I've been wanting more time on it, but now that I've had a couple, I'm realizing more and more that the Rocket Hog was such a huge mistake that it makes the map unfun to play on. The Hog itself is terrible, but it's also not fun to be on foot while that thing is going around stirring guys up. It's like trying to swat hornets while someone is kicking the nest.

Jeremiah has (correctly) put a lot of emphasis on frame rate quality when reviewing community maps for playlist integration. And on that basis, I have no idea how Glacier go into matchmaking. It's an unplayable mess.
I stay far away from the main base and I don't have any problems. There's not a single map that doesn't become a slideshow during any Firefight bonus round, though.

Got my first couple of Road Hog medals on Unearthed yesterday, and I kept to the outer track to keep from raining stupid hell on the other players inside the courtyard. I will agree wholeheartedly that the Rocket Hog was a major mistake to have on the map. Wasn't there supposed to be a Ghost that popped up in certain gametypes? I have yet to see any enemy vehicles on Unearthed.

LosDaddie

Banned
I need to play with some of you guys. I wasn't feeling Classic Slayer at all last night. But I was rusty since I was clearing out a backlog game last week

Ughh, Classic ruined by all that AR.

Good try though Jeremiah! Almost had it!

Rat Trap spawns fucked also.

Prolonged frame rate is terrible.

How did this playlist take so long to release yet it has such obvious errors?

2672665-gallery.png

I had fun with both, Classic gave me really strong Halo CE vibes, in large part because the grenades and kill times were so similar.

Action sack is amazing, I think speed flag should be added to standard objective, because that is a really fun little mode.

Edit:

Why doesn't Bungie make health 1.5x in Classic? I feel like that would solve the grenade/sniper bodyshots issues.

xxjuicesxx said:
Ughh, Classic ruined by all that AR.

Good try though Jeremiah! Almost had it!

Rat Trap spawns fucked also.

Prolonged frame rate is terrible.

How did this playlist take so long to release yet it has such obvious errors?

Prolonged is elongation right? Because mine was silky smooth when i played on it.

The Real Napsta said:
Is your game installed? I have no framerate problems on prolonged (my game is installed)

Yea pretty sure its installed. I don't know Halo never seems to run good on my Xbox's, I think I'm just more sensitive to frame rate.

Did you guys try and aim down scope with the DMR across map?

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea pretty sure its installed. I don't know Halo never seems to run good on my Xbox's, I think I'm just more sensitive to frame rate.

Played with Wu last night on Prolonged and didn't have any frame rate issues. I pretty much stayed on one side of the map and scoped in a few times; no problems*.

* - I am a terrible player

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
xxjuicesxx said:

I had issues with Prolonged twice last night. They exhibited as frameyness, but it was definitely network related. I'm gonna ask a grownup today.

Further review in theater its pretty obvious at points, like when zooming across Asylum with sniper, very similar to that. Especially if theres a nade going off or an enemy or two. Smoke effect seems to destroy Reach's frame rate. Look at Winter Contigency pulling up to that first stand off where the DMR is in the door way the other broken door way with the smoke drops the frame rate real low, thats always reproduceable too.

Couldn't this remake be done on Tempest for a better framerate like Ash did for Lockout?

Also is there a link to download these Classic maps? Some of them I don't even know and I'd like to run through before MM.

GhaleonEB said:
I like what they were going for, but since Invasion just turned out to be Territories, Assault and CTF stitched together, I think Invasion would have been better served being a gametype structure that could be applied to existing game types, and then folded into other playlists - especially BTB. Call it Escalation, with a similar tier system to Invasion. But then you'd be able to configure it for any game type (Escalation CTF, Escalation Slayer, etc.) or build the tiered objective game that Invasion is.

And in that way eliminate the need for a new playlist and set of maps built around it.
You mean somthing like Killzone 2? Say a game of swordbase comes up. It pops up with CTF, then when that is done (or timer runs out) without leaving the map it loads up swordbases oddball settings and then that is played, and then when that is done it finishes with 25 kill slayer. Basically during the game it cycles between the maps pre-existing gametypes?

Also, unrelated but I have to get this out - Halo did not invent Headhunter. The first time I saw that mode was in Unreal Tournament 3 Black. (Just like Gears of War used Unreal Tournament 2003/2004s Invasion mode as a basis for Horde mode!)

Blergmeister said:
Also, unrelated but I have to get this out - Halo did not invent Headhunter. The first time I saw that mode was in Unreal Tournament 3 Black. (Just like Gears of War used Unreal Tournament 2003/2004s Invasion mode as a basis for Horde mode!
Headhunter was suppose to be in Halo 2 but it didn't make the cut.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Invasion should have been the class of gametypes that were Spartans vs. Elites for any team games (4v4, 8v8, slayer, objective). I think one missed opportunity is the SvE objective games. Generator defense was a lot of fun when it played smoothly in the beta. I think a 4v4 version of it would be great especially without the other Firefight code running in the background. I like the dichotomy of Spartans vs. Elites and emphasizing their differences (which is why giving Spartans evade is dumb). Having a 2 round slayer game (each round to 25) would give teams a chance to play both sides too. Some of the games could have the scaling classes while others could have a select set available from the start. I'm really disappointed that the SvE dynamic hasn't been explored more considering that's the power struggle in the Halo games.

Classic playlist is great fun and grenades are not overpowered since movement and jumping has been increased as well.

Firefight is a better overall experience in Reach, but ODST had much better maps for it. I think smaller more intimate spaces work better at creating the fun chaos of Halo. The Reach maps are too big for the action to escalate quickly in the time limits given. Part of that is probably because of the AAs. There also needs to be a map with a chain gun hog.

CyReN

Does anybody have a "cheat sheet" of the map names in Classic playlist? It's really annoying they don't put the original names..

Also the playlist is amazing, it's the most fun I've had with Halo since H2.

xxjuicesxx said:
Further review in theater its pretty obvious at points, like when zooming across Asylum with sniper, very similar to that. Especially if theres a nade going off or an enemy or two. Smoke effect seems to destroy Reach's frame rate. Look at Winter Contigency pulling up to that first stand off where the DMR is in the door way the other broken door way with the smoke drops the frame rate real low, thats always reproduceable too.

Couldn't this remake be done on Tempest for a better framerate like Ash did for Lockout?

Also is there a link to download these Classic maps? Some of them I don't even know and I'd like to run through before MM.
Right here (lists the original map's name as well). Real shame that Tempest can't be used for the playlist, because Ash's Lockout is the most accurate I've seen.

Has anyone had a look at today's challenges yet?

Hard Mode: Enabled

Complete a Campaign mission on Heroic with these skulls activated: None, ToughLuck, Thunderstorm, Tilt, Mythic

I'm guessing this is some sort of error

CyReN said:
Does anybody have a "cheat sheet" of the map names in Classic playlist? It's really annoying they don't put the original names..

Also the playlist is amazing, it's the most fun I've had with Halo since H2.

Hydra XXIII = Damnation
Eclipse = Lockout
Prolonged = Elongation
Magus = Wizard/Warlock
Rat Trap = Rat Race
Prophet = Midship
High Noon = Hang em High
Dreadnought = Derelict
Noble Creek = Beaver Creek

Karl2177

cool_dude_2049 said:
Has anyone had a look at today's challenges yet?

Hard Mode: Enabled

Complete a Campaign mission on Heroic with these skulls activated: None, ToughLuck, Thunderstorm, Tilt, Mythic

I'm guessing this is some sort of error
Also, Climb Points Mountain
Score 500,000 points on any Firefight map 1000cR.

Only 1000cR for that? Guess I'm breaking out the IGN gametype on Corvette.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Steelyuhas said:
I understand that people don't like the classic playlist, but you are doing yourself a crime if you are using the DMR in the classic playlist, the NR is superior on 110 damage. That's why the playlist has 110 damage.

The fuck? I didn't know they altered damage too.

No wonder I was getting my face raped with purple dildos.

FourDoor

Ramirez said:
Classic is ok fun, it's not a replacement for those wanting that classic feeling though. I still feel MLG has the best settings. Some of the maps in classic have some serious scale issues, Lockout in particular makes me motion sick because I feel like I'm going way too fast. :|

Grenades are out of control, couldn't count the times tonight where I was behind cover, but the grenade would still kill me, lol. Overall, it's a fun diversion, but being Slayer only atm, I don't see myself playing much of it unless my party dictates it. :p Throw some Multi Flag, Assault, and 1 Flag in there, then it might become my favorite playlist.

I think the key issue with what we've been feeling about the scale issues is that these Classic maps were forged with original Halo Reach player movement in mind. Now that player speed is up along with the jumps, the maps play broken compared to their original counterparts.

With map tweaks to compensate for the new player speed for classic settings, I really think there is a future for Classic.

And oh yeah, why is that every time the sword is dropped in Eclipse that it just ends up floating there?

Havok

Blergmeister said:
Also, unrelated but I have to get this out - Halo did not invent Headhunter. The first time I saw that mode was in Unreal Tournament 3 Black. (Just like Gears of War used Unreal Tournament 2003/2004s Invasion mode as a basis for Horde mode!)
They could have kept that shit and I wouldn't shed a single tear.

FourDoor said:
I think the key issue with what we've been feeling about the scale issues is that these Classic maps were forged with original Halo Reach player movement in mind. Now that player speed is up along with the jumps, the maps play broken compared to their original counterparts.

With map tweaks to compensate for the new player speed for classic settings, I really think there is a future for Classic.

And oh yeah, why is that every time the sword is dropped in Eclipse that it just ends up floating there?
Physics are foolishly set to 'fixed'.

Havok

Lead Based Paint said:
Rumble Pit Headhunter is still fun.
People camping by capture points and hiding and popping up to steal kills is not fun, ever, especially when spawns are generally poor in FFA.

Havok said:
People camping by capture points and hiding and popping up to steal kills is not fun, ever, especially when spawns are generally poor in FFA.

My experience comes in Sword Base. I just run around killing and I never really noticed too much anger stemming from campers. I did get a skullamunjaro so they were probably pretty bad.

Sai-kun

Banned
Louis Wu said:
Holy...

I haven't seen that sort of stupidity since the Beta. I want to play against your enemies. :(

(Not to take away from the achievement; even though they were morons, you still did a fine job of staying alive, and not missing a shot. :) )

Haha, thanks! It's the magic of Multi Team, Wu. I think they figured "well I threw a grenade up, and my teammate is up there, so it's SAFE RIGHT GUYS--OH GOD WHAT IS THAT"

I also laugh every time I watched the last Red guy come up, because I kill him, and he almost does the splits as his body flies right above mine.

Oozer3993

Karl2177 said:
Also, Climb Points Mountain
Score 500,000 points on any Firefight map 1000cR.

Only 1000cR for that? Guess I'm breaking out the IGN gametype on Corvette.
Do you have a link for that IGN gametype?

GhaleonEB

Reading and posting on Optimatch the past few days, some breathtaking stuff in there. (There's some good stuff in the mix, but when the forum gets loud, it gets amazing.)

Deputy Moonman said:
There are a lot of things that used to be defining characteristics of Halo's gameplay. I'd argue that many don't exist anymore. Getting to the point, there is a big difference, and I mean a massive difference when I say that people all rush for the power weapons in Reach, versus any of the previous Halo games.
:lol

GhaleonEB said:
Um....what? Ever heard the term 'rocket rush'?

The opening rush for power weapons has been a defining characteristic of Halo's gameplay from the first game onward.
There are a lot of things that used to be defining characteristics of Halo's gameplay. I'd argue that many don't exist anymore. Getting to the point, there is a big difference, and I mean a massive difference when I say that people all rush for the power weapons in Reach, versus any of the previous Halo games. People don't just rush them to get a quick one-up on the other team, they rush them to use for entire games. Maybe in BTB and Invasion, having power weapons all over the place makes more sense, but not in 4v4 slayer games. And if you want to exclude the sniper rifle from my argument, since it's always been staple in games, fine.

First off, power weapons, while powerful in previous halo games, they didn't have the added lameness of limitless, cheap armor abilities. Secondly, the availability of power weapons is through the roof in Reach. It's not like a nice item you can pick up every once in a while. They're available almost all the time, and it's obvious that a high percentage of people rely on them almost exclusively. Third, the normally halfway decent precision weapons, that were an effective counter to people controlling the power weapons, are no longer effective. In the most general terms, they suck.

That's why I think it's pathetic when people rush the power weapons. People would start to have really poor games if all of a sudden they found their precious power weapons unavailable. I like to use precision weapons, and precision weapons are no match for power weapons. This wouldn't be a problem if power weapons were more scarce... But people have them for whole games. How can people not see this? It's not like I'm trying to make this stuff up simply to prove my own point. I think it's somewhat obvious.

Top Bottom