• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
wwm0nkey said:
I dont care if it was broken and I dont care about the glitches what I do care about is that it was fun, and was it fun? Yes.

You know what else was fun? Listening to my Xbox to make sure I got a map on disc so I didn't get modded. OMG that was sooooooooooo much fun.

Sometimes when it comes to a sandbox, less is more.

Halo has, to me, been the game where you could have seemingly endless playthroughs that played out nothing like the previous one. Bungie developed a world whereby its own rules would dictate what happened. No sctrong scripting that forced situations on players and AI and other such tom foolery. I think this became a lot more well known in Halo 3 where a cone could kill a player. It's that mentality of programming and design that meant that with a world that reacted so dynamically to everything in it, Bungie didn't need to force those good things on us.

Look again to Halo 3 where Forge was marketed as a way to change the tide of battle mid-game with the 'impartial' help of a Guilty Spark player. The sandbox that entailed became a beast out of Bungie's pet and it evolved, adapted and refined itself to creat spectacular content and benefit the community at large.

Haloscreenshots is also testament to the sandbox it should be noted.

It was still there in Halo 1 and 2, but it took the form of combat and AI that was always different and reacted on the fly. Any campaign mission can be played in a plethora of ways. Look at Ghaleon's post about how having 2 weapons only impacted on the level. Bungie had a small sandbox for sure but it opened up the gameplay for the player.

This is where Reach comes in. Now with even more weapons/vehicles/AAs and other such content. The sandbox is so big that Bungie seemingly have unwillingly either neglected some toys to play with others or else they try and play with all the toys but never with each one enough. It's that same balance that has forced itself to be at the forefront of Bungie's thoughts, especially now that the Halo franchise has snowballed so many fans/players/playstyles in which to cater for. While parts of this game truly shine, others simly gather dust and yet are the eye sore that you see in the corner every day.

Alas, fear not, for one sweep at a time Bungie dusts off those diamonds in the rough and with the help of its maid (343i), can often end up doing a better job than what was expected.

:p

Falagard

Dax01 said:
The funnest aspect about Halo 2 was doing glitches in custom games. It's a shame I had more fun doing glitches than playing the actual game, but there it is.

Weren't you 9 when Halo 2 released? I'm not sure you would have ever gotten to play the game in its prime.

Account Attempt #4 said:
I was a full grown man for Halo, 2, 3 etc and never LAN'd or ran XBConnect... The inclusion of Xbox Live for Halo 2 really stepped it up exponentially in caliber for me in comparison to CE. Assault on Terminal/ Headlong/ hell even Containment and one flag on Relic. Oh god, if I could have that back. Just leave out the smg starts please. The maps were/are glorious. The DLC was glorious... oh god the DLC. The introduction of the party system and rotating matchmaking hoppers, a revolutionary system which other games finally started emulating much later. The Clan system. So much of why I love Halo stemmed from Halo 2 even though I was in from day one with CE. I've happily adopted Halo in all its evolutions since, but Halo 2 rests in my heart as the first and probably best online Halo experience (hax/standbys/smg starts aside lol). All of this is my personal opinion/recollection of course.

Steelyuhas said:
The DLC implementation in H2 was better than H3 and Reach. shock.gif
To clarify my statement: the quality/quantity of maps, pricing, and yes implementation on Halo2 DLC, the inaugural volley of Halo DLC on xbox live, is worth mentioning when discussing Halo 2's strong points. :)

Edited for clarity on new page...

wwm0nkey said:
That should have also became a standard. Release DLC then 2 or so months later make it FREE!

Yeah, I mean I understand that it doesn't go free after 2 months, but the fact that is NEVER free now is a joke IMO.

The legendary map pack still costs money. Really?

Account Attempt #4 said:
To clarify my statement: the quality/quantity of maps, pricing, and yes implementation on Halo2 DLC, the inaugural volley of Halo DLC on xbox live, is worth mentioning when discussing Halo 2's strong points. :)

Yeah of course I agree.

Just taking another opportunity to point out the shockingly poor DLC implementation in Reach. It is legitimately one of my biggest disappointments with the matchmaking in Reach.

Falagard said:
Weren't you 9 when Halo 2 released? I'm not sure you would have ever gotten to play the game in its prime.
Whether or not I missed the game's "prime" (I do have over 5000 games played), the sandbox still would've been broken. Sword had no limit on how much you could use it, over powered tracking on PP charge, etc. I assume you mean Halo 2 was in its prime before people discovered all the glitches and stuff? Because Halo 3 was at its prime when all the map packs for it had been released. It doesn't matter when I played it, as long as the majority of my experience doesn't come from anything post Halo 3, my opinion of the game is as equally valid as yours.

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah, I mean I understand that it doesn't go free after 2 months, but the fact that is NEVER free now is a joke IMO.

The legendary map pack still costs money. Really?
Yeah at least make it standard that after a year the DLC needs to go free.

Striker

Steelyuhas said:
I think that H2's sandbox was superior in every way to H3's for each of the reasons that you posted, except that I think each of those is much better in H2 haha. Balance between grenades/melee/guns, infantry/vehicle balance, and balance between the weapons themselves. An XLBA arcade remake with a great netcode would be unbelievable IMO.

Obviously I think we can all agree that H2's maps were great.

Speaking of maps, it was sad playing classic yesterday and wondering what the hell happened to Bungie's maps in the last 2 games.
I think that all the time, and am bewildered how we go from Lockout, Sanctuary, Terminal, Headlong, Zanzibar, etc. to Isolation, Swordbase, Construct, The Cage, Epitaph, Sandtrap, etc.

The maps in 2 shined in every aspect. Shined for FFA, Team Slayer, Team Snipers, Team Skirmish (amazing bunch for both asymmetric games and symmetrical flag and bomb games), and Big Team Battle. How does that drop off happen so sudden?

I also don't see how Halo 3 fixed grenades, melee, and gun balance. You still were forced to spawn with a BR in most maps due to the weakness of the Assault Rifle and Pistol. The precision weapons dominated, just like Halo 2. There was nothing wrong with the grenades, unless I missed something that Bungie admitted behind the scenes about being broken. Melee - here's the thing. It isn't perfect in Reach, it sure as hell wasn't perfect in Halo 3, and Halo 2's was not either. You can find faults in every direction for those three games. I personally liked 2's the most because you can injure the enemy depending on how you went about it. Ran at him, jumped and smack, different weapon melee, etc. That was a different dynamic that Halo 3 changed, and not for the better. Who misses the hilarious Mauler-shot and melee lunge that was so horribly broken Bungie basically removed the damn weapon?

Louis Wu

Falagard said:
Don't pull the age card - that's mine to play.

I had fun playing Halo 2 - but if you're denying that it was full of glitches and exploits by the end (hell, by the middle) of its prime... you're living in a dreamworld.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:
Yeah at least make it standard that after a year the DLC needs to go free.

Yep, Microsoft should stop allowing people to give them money.

People still buy DLC a year after its release and until they stop, MS will continue to facilitate their choice.

Kuroyume

Banned
Halo 3 was broken. Had broken sandbox, gameplay, BR, net code, playlist management, maps design, vehicles, matchmaking, graphics, and a broken Lock Out remake. Broken broken broken broken broken broken broken broken

Striker said:
I think that all the time, and am bewildered how we go from Lockout, Sanctuary, Terminal, Headlong, Zanzibar, etc. to Isolation, Swordbase, Construct, The Cage, Epitaph, Sandtrap, etc.

I think they probably spend more of development on sky boxes now than they do on actual map designs.

wwm0nkey

Tashi0106 said:
You don't know what I'm talking about Mr Halo 2?

edit: I didn't even listen to the song and I promise never to use it lol
No I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

All I understood was something about modding.

Louis Wu said:

I had fun playing Halo 2 - but if you're denying that it was full of glitches and exploits by the end (hell, by the middle) of its prime... you're living in a dreamworld.
Well we all know it was, but it never really got terrible till you hit the 35 rank, then its modders every game.

Falagard

Dax01 said:
Whether or not I missed the game's "prime" (I do have over 5000 games played), the sandbox still would've been broken. Sword had no limit on how much you could use it, over powered tracking on PP charge, etc. I assume you mean Halo 2 was in its prime before people discovered all the glitches and stuff? Because Halo 3 was at its prime when all the map packs for it had been released. It doesn't matter when I played it, as long as the majority of my experience doesn't come from anything post Halo 3, my opinion of the game is as equally valid as yours.

I thought your opinion would have been influenced by mods and glitches.

Halo 2 was more fun than Halo 3 despite its sandbox problems. All Halo 3 had to do was fix those problems, but instead it introduced more.

Absolutely, exploits and glitches killed the game. However, the core game design minus those problems was better than Halo 3 and Halo Reach, in my opinion.

Dani said:

People still buy DLC a year after its release and until they stop, MS will continue to facilitate their choice.

Yeah this is true unfortunately. At the very least, the price of a pack should drop with the new one for that game comes out. When Defiant came out, Noble should have been cut to 400 space bucks.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Speedpile on Hemmorhage.

2k4SZ.jpg

wwm0nkey

Dani said:

Sadly you are correct :/

Falagard

Louis Wu said:

I'm 34, I'm pretty sure I can. The card may not be as wrinkled as yours, but it's still weathered and beaten.

Plywood said:
Speedpile on Hemmorhage.

2k4SZ.jpg

Does that mean you like it? I'm old and don't always understand the Internets. I freaking love Speedpile on Hemmorhage.

wwm0nkey

The only things I really hated about Halo 2 where the non-stop modding when you hit rank 35 and the boosting that also happened at that rank.
Super jumps where countered easily.

Also do you guys remember when some Xbox games came with 2 month cards...those where the days :lol

Tashi

wwm0nkey said:
No I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

All I understood was something about modding.

Well we all know it was, but it never really got terrible till you hit the 35 rank, then its modders every game.

soniamdisappoint.jpg x10438281993

Also level 35? No way, much earlier than that.

wwm0nkey

Tashi0106 said:
soniamdisappoint.jpg x10438281993

Also level 35? No way, much earlier than that.
I only got hit hard by it at level 35 really. I did rage hard when I got modded though, but it was fun when you had the cool modders who just did some fun stuff like flying specter turrets on Containment and not abuse his mods :lol

Louis Wu said:

The age card is essential to this discussion. Games you played as a child have a very high likelihood of shining much brighter in your memory than they did in reality. The question initially posed requested opinions of those who played halo as adults, not as children. Thus, Ghaleon's opinion is admissible, but the 9-year-old's opinion is not.

GhaleonEB

Falagard said:
Does that mean you like it? I'm old and don't always understand the Internets. I freaking love Speedpile on Hemmorhage.
I've only had that one game with you guys last night, but it was crazy awesome. The epiphany that you could collect and deposit flags from vehicles had me laughing out loud with delight.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
OldMattacus said:
The age card is essential to this discussion. Games you played as a child have a very high likelihood of shining much brighter in your memory than they did in reality. The question initially posed requested opinions of those who played halo as adults, not as children. Thus, Ghaleon's opinion is admissible, but the 9-year-old's opinion is not.

Yeah, it's like the 30+ of us here loving Thunder cats, Captain power, Captain Planet and Voltron when we were younger, but if you tried to watch it now. Oh boy.

Besides, everyone knows Exo squad was the best cartoon. ;)

GhaleonEB said:
I've only had that one game with you guys last night, but it was crazy awesome. The epiphany that you could collect and deposit flags from vehicles had me laughing out loud with delight.

Barrow and I were playing that on Hemmorage, Speedpile is probably my new favorite game type.

wwm0nkey

Alienshogun said:
Yeah, it's like the 30+ of us here loving Thunder cats, Captain power, Captain Planet and Voltron when we were younger, but if you tried to watch it now. Oh boy.

Besides, everyone knows Exo squad was the best cartoon. ;)
Thunder Cats are still awesome and Captain Planet always sucked.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Falagard said:
I don't like it and instead of raging I'd prefer to respond with a poker face to it.

Because 4v4 objective on such a huge map is just a bad idea.

GhaleonEB

Plywood said:
I don't like it and instead of raging I'd prefer to respond with a poker face to it.

The entire point is that you can collect flags from the vehicles (which is why there are so many). If you're getting out and doing it on foot, you're doing it wrong. I spent half my game cruising around on a Mongoose snagging and depositing flags.
Steelyuhas said:
I spent the entire game in a Revenant just scooping flags and scoring and repeating on an endless loop (for 3 games). It was very dull.
Then you were playing with/against idiots. It's like complaining you walked into base and walked back to yours with a flag three times.

wwm0nkey

Plywood said:

You can get the flags in vehicles you know...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
The entire point is that you can collect flags from the vehicles (which is why there are so many). If you're getting out and doing it on foot, you're doing it wrong. I spent half my game cruising around on a Mongoose snagging and depositing flags.

This.

That huge map with 8 people in vehicles speeding all over the map snagging flags is awesome.

I have a clip I need to render where one guy tried to plasma launcher me and his teammate tried to splatter me with a ghost, well, the plasma bolt stuck to the ghost, killed him and I walked away scott free.

Shit's fun.

GhaleonEB said:

I spent the entire game in a Revenant just scooping flags and scoring and repeating on an endless loop (for 3 games). It was very dull.

wwm0nkey said:
I only got hit hard by it at level 35 really. I did rage hard when I got modded though, but it was fun when you had the cool modders who just did some fun stuff like flying specter turrets on Containment and not abuse his mods :lol

Mods hit regularly by the mid twenties. It got to the point where people would battle during search times for host. If the screen instantly loaded up four orange squares when you start the search, bail! It became a game of cat and mouse and would drag on to the point where you didn't even care anymore becuase you just wanted to play a damn match.

To me, Halo 2 was in many ways the golden age of Halo and the most fun I've ever had in Halo. That said, it was the most plagued with cheaters and mods out of all of them and the competitive experience in ranked matches took a massive beating from it. I took a massive break from MP at one point to play custom matches with friends and goof around with glitches (in custom games) to get reprieve from cheaters. It's not hard to understand why some here didn't have as much fun with it and considered later entries more satisfying. One thing most seem to agree on is that it had the best maps.

Tashi

wwm0nkey said:

Whatever. I just know now that you're not Mr Halo 2.

I got on just now in hopes of getting more clips for this week. Wow, I haven't played this shitty in so long. Damn, I'm getting my ass kicked by guys I know are complete scrubs.

Tashi0106 said:
Whatever. I just know now that you're not Mr Halo 2.

I got on just now in hopes of getting more clips for this week. Wow, I haven't played this shitty in so long. Damn, I'm getting my ass kicked by guys I know are complete scrubs.
Fail-tage? Why not?
Also, I forgot to mention in my thoughts on Halo 2: When not being modded, hacked etc. de-rankers became the bane of my experiences. I actually had a game on Colossus with a guy running into his own nades over and over to drop rank. After pleading with him and some shit talk, I prodded him into actually playing the game. We came back to win as he was actually really good. De-rankers were definitely a problem for me in Halo 3 as well, good riddance to that trend. Too bad a dev can't put a number next to our name to give some well deserved feedback on skill without a large portion of players (large enough to drop my ranks time and again on H3) trolling team slayer just so they can go and own some noobs again at lower levels.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
wwm0nkey said:
You can get the flags in vehicles you know...
GhaleonEB said:
Yes I know and Evade+Flag = me going half away across the map rolling. I didn't need a vehicle, all I did was grab Sniper, have evade, grabbed a flag and I was set. The enemy team didn't even have a chance will all of their vehicles. All my teammates did was drive around with a hog or Revenant.

Tawpgun

Halo 3 fixed nearly every problem we had in Halo 2.
Halo 3 didn't have any game breaking exploits, glitches, ect. ect. (hiding spots were patched quickly)
Halo 3 refined the sandbox

Halo 3 was also less fun than Halo 2.

That's my opinion on the matter. I don't think it was necesarilly nostalgia by itself, but the fact that there was literally NO competition for Halo 2. It was the DEFINING multiplayer shooter on consoles. Nothing else came remotley close it it. And because of this, EVERYONE was on Halo 2. If I could make a comparison, in terms of sheer popularity and influence, Halo 2 was the CoD of last gen. But CoD, no matter how popular it can get, won't be able to touch the simplistic (and deep) multiplayer experience of Halo 2. Simply because of the physics, the different gameplay, ect.

Sure, Halo 2 was broken as hell, but that was part of its charm. To me, Halo 2 felt like its own little world since EVERYONE was always on it. It was almost like an MMO to me with its party system, Y menu, and Clan system. The customs were creative and filled with honor rules. The matchmaking had amazing moments.

You really can't put it into words. It is NOT a "better" game than Halo 3. Halo 3 is vastly superior as a game. But the simple fact is that I, along with many others, had more fun on Halo 2 than Halo 3.

GhaleonEB

I just played a few of the new Grab Bag games with my kids. I didn't realize they added a new game type category, called Insane, for stuff like Hockey, Haloball, etc. Pretty neat. I'd assumed they made modifications to existing game types. Can't wait to see what people come up with in customs with this stuff.

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:
Halo 3 fixed nearly every problem we had in Halo 2.
Halo 3 didn't have any game breaking exploits, glitches, ect. ect. (hiding spots were patched quickly)
Halo 3 refined the sandbox

Halo 3 was also less fun than Halo 2.
This is a wise man.

GhaleonEB said:
I just played a few of the new Grab Bag games with my kids. I didn't realize they added a new game type category, called Insane, for stuff like Hockey, Haloball, etc. Pretty neat. I'd assumed they made modifications to existing game types. Can't wait to see what people come up with in customs with this stuff.
I'm making a mongoose-soccer varient, but here are only 8 mongeese to place :(
When I was traveling in Europe I actually saw I huge game of motor-bike soccer somewhere in Versailles. Was awesome to watch.

Tawpgun

.... Bad Teamates are the story of my life.

I called one kid (I say that as a literal meaning, since he sounded 10-12) an idiot and bad since he couldn't grasp the concept of speed flag (thinking it was slayer or something...) and he said I was the bad one since he was a Hero and I was only a General.

They need to bring back ranked/social separation. Make sure ranked only nets you progress if you win.

Oh, and BOOMSTICK

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15933008&player=Tawpgun

Top Bottom