• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Dax01 said:
Dunno what happened over the past two weeks, but I've stopped caring about challenges completely. I mean, for awhile I had an interest in doing them, completing as many as I could each day. Now, challenges are a pretty big "eh" to me.

Same here, I would at least get the FF and campaign ones done, but over the last week or so I stopped caring and can't even get myself to do those. Don't know if exams are just making me not want to do them or I just don't care anymore. I'm leaning toward a mixture of both actually.

Heck, I haven't even bought the new maps yet, which is sad as I have always bought new Halo maps day 1 and couldn't wait for them to be released, with Reach I just don't care.

squidhands said:
Here's to hoping that some truly unique challenges will start showing up soon (BOBing and Weaving 7777Cr - Kill 'x' of Gold Ranger-class Elites in Campaign this week). One of the biggest incentives for me was to get my armor looking the way I wanted. Besides a visor color, I'm all set and my desire to do repeat challenges has fallen immensely. Juices brought up an excellent point with the challenges being the impetus for playing the game, but this latest string has done nothing to enhance my desire to play.
Think they're holding off the good challenges until after people open their xmas presents?

They could just be stalling because the #s are so low

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:
If you don't mind Multi-Team thats the place to go to get multi kills NOT SWAT. Get those random overkills+ and they count as a bunch of multi's.

The weekly can sometimes just be an incentive to play the game, getting there will net you way more credits than the final payout.

I'm going to attempt it at least.

Wait, a triple kill would count as 2 multikills right? And an overkill as 3 and so on? If so, why not SWAT? You'll get at least a double every time you spawn in SWAT. Especially with the Spawn on your bro spawning system.

Tashi0106 said:
Wait, a triple kill would count as 2 multikills right? And an overkill as 3 and so on? If so, why not SWAT? You'll get at least a double every time you spawn in SWAT. Especially with the Spawn on your bro spawning system.

SWAT is 4v4 and I highly doubt you can get a double every time you spawn...Your K/D would be 2 if that were true. SWAT gets tough, there is really good players out there that end you just as easily as you can.

Multi-team will always have one or two teams that are straight garbage and objectives make it even easier to grab multikills, the sheer numbers alone will make multikills easier especially if you can grab some power weapons nobody seems to time...

Statistically speaking though, I get about 2 more multikills per hour in MT than SWAT. But in Living Dead I have 30 multikills in one hour of play...So yea I dunno.

MrBig

Tashi0106 said:
SWAT has bro spawning?

xxjuicesxx said:
Multi-team will always have one or two teams that are straight garbage and objectives make it even easier to grab multikills, the sheer numbers alone will make multikills easier especially if you can grab some power weapons nobody seems to time...

This statement is true. Prepare for King of the Hill to win every vote once people start seriously chasing the weekly.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Bregmann Roche said:
This statement is true. Prepare for King of the Hill to win every vote once people start seriously chasing the weekly.

Prepare for a lot of empty hills with everyone waiting for everyone else to go for the objective. :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:
SWAT is 4v4 and I highly doubt you can get a double every time you spawn...Your K/D would be 2 if that were true. SWAT gets tough, there is really good players out there that end you just as easily as you can.

Statistically speaking though, I get about 2 more multikills per hour in MT than SWAT. But in Living Dead I have 30 multikills in one hour of play...So yea I dunno.

I have 162 doubles and triples combined in 41 games of Multi-team and I have 90 doubles and triples combined in 22 games of SWAT.

That's 3.95 multi kills a game in Multi-team and 4.28 multi kills a game in SWAT. Also, SWAT games are generally faster allowing you get to get more games in.

My K/D in SWAT is 2.51 and my K/D in Multi-team is 1.55. I average 7.45 deaths a game in SWAT so it seems I get a multikill every other time I spawn. I get about 45 multikills an hour in SWAT. I could probably knock this out in 1 day lol.

If I wanted to grind out this weekly, I would pick SWAT. But, I'm not. I'm gonna play MLG instead. Lets see how many multikills I can get in a how ever many games of MLG I play this week. I have 91 games of MLG logged in and I haven't played yet today.

LunaticPuma said:
Prepare for a lot of empty hills with everyone waiting for everyone else to go for the objective. :lol

Looks like I won't be playing much multi-team this week. The objective games in multi-team are haphazard enough as is, without Challenge tom foolery happening.

Tashi0106 said:
I have 162 doubles and triples combined in 41 games of Multi-team and I have 90 doubles and triples combined in 22 games of SWAT.

That's 3.95 multi kills a game in Multi-team and 4.28 multi kills a game in SWAT. Also, SWAT games are generally faster allowing you get to get more games in.

My K/D in SWAT is 2.51 and my K/D in Multi-team is 1.55. I average 7.45 deaths a game in SWAT so it seems I get a multikill every other time I spawn. I get about 45 multikills an hour in SWAT. I could probably knock this out in 1 day lol.

If I wanted to grind out this weekly, I would pick SWAT. But, I'm not. I'm gonna play MLG instead. Lets see how many multikills I can get in a how ever many games of MLG I play this week. I have 91 games of MLG logged in and I haven't played yet today.

Goddamn.

So In the UK, Halo Reach was #6. Up from #10 last week....

Here's the full Top Ten for the week ended December 11: (UK)

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision Blizzard)
2. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft)
3. FIFA 11 (EA Sports)
4. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (EA)
5. Kinect Sports (Microsoft)
6. Halo Reach (Microsoft)

Eeesh.

Also Edit:

reach-dlc-tempest1_530x298.jpg

The stations in the background are weather stations for the Halo Ring. I may be LTTP for this, but simply stunning canon addition.

Nutter

The challanges are so bad... Sigh.

We get less credits for getting 2 tripple kills than getting 2 double kills in a game WTF.

Hypertrooper said:
I want a singleplayer DLC with a new Spartan-III team and the scarab sequence...
The one where you look down in the valley and there are like 3-4 Scarabs and the big ships come in atmosphere to help? That would be quite epic.

Gui_PT

Hypertrooper said:
the scarab sequence...

If they didn't put that in the game, it's because it just wouldn't work. Do you want to play something that doesn't quite work, just for the sake of playing it?

Unless they waste a few months to make it work. But I doubt they will.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just so you guys know it's confirmed there is no extra story being worked on or being announced using the Reach engine at least all the way up through 2011. Nothing with MC, and nothing with another Spartan group. The only thing on the horizon is more map packs, and books, not single player storyline in the form of game addons or standalone games. Frank confirmed this in the Xbox magazine interview that came out this month.

And as far as support of Reach he said, "Bungie is the one supporting it for the forseeable future."

So all this speculation can be put to rest.

Magni

Kuroyume said:
Because it's the best map in the game? I'll take Swordbase anytime unless it's Elite Slayer and there's something better available.

Better than Sanctuary, Countdown, and Powerhouse? Wow this is like the time when people told me Epitaph was the best map in Halo 3 :lol

Wizman23

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
But Microsoft said this wouldn't happen this time.

To be fair the Bungie dudes were pimping that edition hardcore saying how impossible it would be to get unlike Halo 3. It was not just MS.

Arnie

Got my dailies for the day, it's funny, pre MLG I was a Warrant Officer Grade 3, but since MLG was introduced I've climbed to a Major. I honestly can't really stomach vanilla reach, I found the DLC playlist to be a nice novelty but now I've tasted a slightly quicker experience with the bullshit diluted to tolerable levels I feel pretty happy playing the game.

I've also seen that spark for Halo return, compelling me to play game after game, day after day. I actually care about completing the challenges which is something I was apathetic too previously.

It saddens me that Bungie did what they did to Halo's core. Even having fun with MLG and returning to my donging ways I still get frustrated by the bloom from time to time, although I have learnt to manage it a lot better the past couple of days. I still wouldn't describe it as 'fun' though, even when I have it under control.

I want the leveling system back too. I know I have trueskill behind the scenes, I've seen the effects in matchmaking as my skill has risen, but I don't see the harm in displaying it in the UI like previous games as a visual reward for a good team performance. It really did add that extra spice needed to keep the matches important and tense.

Hey You

Wizman23 said:
To be fair the Bungie dudes were pimping that edition hardcore saying how impossible it would be to get unlike Halo 3. It was not just MS.
urk actually posted in here a few weeks ago saying that MS assured Bungie that the Special Editions would be limited this time around.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Major Williams said:
:lol :lol Too funny.

Weren't some of the statues not even numbered?

Mine sure as hell isn't numbered; I don't think any of them were, which is hilarious (not really) since my Comicon Noble 7 is.

Arnie said:
Got my dailies for the day, it's funny, pre MLG I was a Warrant Officer Grade 3, but since MLG was introduced I've climbed to a Major. I honestly can't really stomach vanilla reach, I found the DLC playlist to be a nice novelty but now I've tasted a slightly quicker experience with the bullshit diluted to tolerable levels I feel pretty happy playing the game.

I've also seen that spark for Halo return, compelling me to play game after game, day after day. I actually care about completing the challenges which is something I was apathetic too previously.

It saddens me that Bungie did what they did to Halo's core. Even having fun with MLG and returning to my donging ways I still get frustrated by the bloom from time to time, although I have learnt to manage it a lot better the past couple of days. I still wouldn't describe it as 'fun' though, even when I have it under control.

I want the leveling system back too. I know I have trueskill behind the scenes, I've seen the effects in matchmaking as my skill has risen, but I don't see the harm in displaying it in the UI like previous games as a visual reward for a good team performance. It really did add that extra spice needed to keep the matches important and tense.

Eh, when I end up playing vanilla after playing MLG it isn't so bad, if anything playing MLG is actually making me better at vanilla Reach, which in turn makes it more enjoyable. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dani said:
Not "more" at all. That's the same "rumour" that was posted here at the end of last month. Look at the date.

Linking to something doesn't make it new again. =P
Is it GAF's turn yet to make up their own CE remake rumour? I mean everyone else is doing it, why can't we.

Arnie

Alienshogun said:
Eh, when I end up playing vanilla after playing MLG it isn't so bad, if anything playing MLG is actually making me better at vanilla Reach, which in turn makes it more enjoyable. :lol
Yea I know what you mean, I've been having a good time with the DLC. I guess it's a combination of the gameplay changes mixed with the poor maps and arbitrary spawning system which just makes for a consistently frustrating experience for me.

Blueblur1

Dani said:
I'd settle for three more multiplayer maps in April. Preferably now.
The 2nd Halo 3 map pack came out in April so that's plausible but I want them sooner. Reach needs more maps than Halo 3 did.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Blueblur1 said:
Reach needs more maps than Halo 3 did.

I agree but I think the powers that be have settled on a specific schedule and no amount of wanting, needing, hoping or sexual favours will change things. I imagine Bungie's remaining Reach squad can only work on so much content at a time so that's also an important limiting factor to consider.

On the bright side, the Forge map flood should alleviate some of the issues on the short to mid term. If Bungie remain as quick to react on player trends as they have been so far, we should see the better of the maps help shape and populate the regular playlists.

kylej

Banned
I for one am stunned that lots of people didn't spend $150 on a gigantic plastic piece of shit.

Anyone down for MLG and or TS and or Noble send jelyk a message and or friend request and or thank you.

After a pretty bad game of One-Flag on Breakpoint, I instinctively thought to myself, "Alright, let's try and find a game on Valhalla." Then I remembered I was playing Reach. Damn. I really wish BTB in Reach wasn't so lacking.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I know making up achievements is old hat but there's a thread going around at the moment and these two popped into my head.

Super Soldier
Earn a kill in the Campaign with every weapon and vehicle available

Good Game
Play against the exact same team again after being defeated - and win, in multiplayer matchmaking

feel

One of the indoor areas in the shadowy side of Breakpoint is also exactly the same as the place where you get the Armor Lock at the end of Winter Contingency. Though it could actually make sense, but I still find it cheap.

Dax01 said:
After a pretty bad game of One-Flag on Breakpoint, I instinctively thought to myself, "Alright, let's try and find a game on Valhalla." Then I remembered I was playing Reach. Damn. I really wish BTB in Reach wasn't so lacking.
Halo 3 still works, and it's spectacular.

Top Bottom