• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB said:
Please be a good Weekly. Please be a good Weekly. Please be a good Weekly.

This is actually one of the first weeks I completed the weekly. Felt pretty awesome :lol .

Nightfall on Legendary without dying was impossible by myself, let it not be that one.

Gui_PT

Shootin' and Lootin'- 1500cR

Kill 150 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

Secondary Fire - 4000cR

Earn 25 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.(just like the one we had yesterday)

Watersports - 600cR

Kill 50 enemies on Waterfront on Heroic in Firefight Matchmaking.

Twin Trips - 500cR

Earn 2 Triple Kills in the same match in multiplayer Matchmaking.

And the Weekly:
Multiplicative - 5000cR

Earn 200 Multikills in multiplayer Matchmaking this week.

Sorry Ghal =\

Kuroyume

Banned
Isn't 200 Multi Kills kind of a lot? Especially considering it has to be in Multiplayer?

Also, how stupid is it when the weekly is barely worth more than a daily?

Man, they had a two week streak of decent Challenges going right around the time the Noble Map Pack came out, and they ruined it again. Last week was terrible, and this week looks to be even worse. Sad.

Gui_PT

I just got the loveliest message ever
dH1if.jpg

Louis Wu

Kuroyume said:
Isn't 200 Multi Kills kind of a lot? Especially considering it has to be in Multiplayer?
Yeah, it's kind of a lot. I have about 400 multiplayer multikills in 3 months. I realize I'm not a great player - but 5000 cR sure as hell ain't enough to up my productivity by more than 600% this week...

My Reach (/my videogame) playtime has nosedived this past week, so I don't think I'll be going for that weekly. But if I was, SWAT would be the playlist to pound.

Miggytronz

Played Saturday night.......Didnt have a fun experience besides just being able to play with friends; Lag, Shitty host and Beastly Host connections mostly ruined every match.

WEEKLY IS WEAK....WTF BUNGLE. :facepalm:

Shake Appeal said:
My Reach (/my videogame) playtime has nosedived this past week, so I don't think I'll be going for that weekly. But if I was, SWAT would be the playlist to pound.
It is kind of funny. I had bought Vanquish, Castlevania, BB, RDR, Fable 3, CD2 and I didn't play any of these yet. The only game I play during the week is Halo: Reach. And I don't know why. I'm addicted, right?

Hypertrooper said:
It is kind of funny. I had bought Vanquish, Castlevania, BB, RDR, Fable 3, CD2 and I didn't play any of these yet. The only game I play during the week is Halo: Reach. And I don't know why. I'm addicted, right?

Fallout NV has pulled me away, but after doing some good old fashioned revenge murder it made me really want to get back to forging.

DIdn't expect THAT result.

Arnie

Two triple kills in the same match for only 500 credits. No thanks Bungie, but I'll gladly mop up those assist credits. And the weekly is a steaming pile of ass.

For multikills I think Swat could be a good playlist. To be fair though I dont think its worth grinding for this weekly. Luckily I already have the armours I want, im at the stage with challenges now where I expect them to suck. :lol

I keep checking though - right now it seems like the challenges are just things that you can sort of do while playing, but I cant wait for the challenge system to give us some truly unique curveballs. Challenges like 'kill 10 elite drop pods' are good because they kind of draw attention to aspects of the game most people overlook. Those are the kind of challenges im looking forward to.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
600 credits for a challenge? WTF Bungie.
The last one that low was November 18. Not unprecedented, we just haven't had one in a while.

In terms of relative difficulty, I think one game of Gruntpocalypse is easier than two triple kills in MP, though.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
The thing with weekly challenges that require a grind is that you get a ton of credits by forcing yourself to play so much. The credits for the challenge itself are worthless.

Overall, I'd rate challenges as a failure. They change the way people play too much which is worse than achievements. Multi-team playlist is a lot less fun than Halo 3 because of it. :(

Magni

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Smooth game, we're winning no problem, then host change, our whole team proceeds to go orange bar and we do not (edit: hit, I accidentally the post) a single shot anymore ><

Why is there AT LEAST one host change EVERY SINGLE game? Seriously, why?

edit: I suggest banning "x Kriimz" for idle boosting. Fucking shitty when he's on your team >:-O

Letters said:
Yeah.. :(

My wait for the awesome Endure/Annual/Dejavu style weekly continues...

This is what I have been waiting for as well, the lack of vidmaster challenges is a real shame. :(

LunaticPuma said:
The thing with weekly challenges that require a grind is that you get a ton of credits by forcing yourself to play so much. The credits for the challenge itself are worthless.

Overall, I'd rate challenges as a failure. They change the way people play too much which is worse than achievements. Multi-team playlist is a lot less fun than Halo 3 because of it. :(

That is why Multi-team is used to get kills on all of the bad players when you are bored or need a good stress reliever, as winning a game in Reach means nothing compared to winning a game in H3.

GhaleonEB

CrazedArabMan said:
This is what I have been waiting for as well, the lack of vidmaster challenges is a real shame. :(
What I've been trying to do in sorting through the Challenges is trying to understand what variables can be captured in them. The one from the start of December that left the "required_count" parameter in place made me think of it. I'm going through the history of them and breaking Challenges out into their components: mode, goal, goal count, etc. Mostly done now.

What I'm wondering is whether certain combinations of parameters can be done. For kills in campaign for example, the variables seem to be:

Mode (Campaign); Difficulty; Mission; Weapon Class (automatic, precision, sniper, etc); enemy (any/Grunt/Elite/Class (infantry, etc); points; time; deaths.

However, they can only be used in certain combinations. Probably a set of templates were constructed, through which the parameters could be defined. And it's starting to feel like the parameters can't be combined into any really interesting goals.

So far we've had "kill XX enemies" in a campaign mission or overall. And "kill XX # of enemies using XX weapons". I'm wondering if those could be combined. Like, you have to kill Hunters with the Assault Rifle. Or snipe Drones with the sniper rifle. That kind of thing.

From what we've seen so far, the Challenge templates fall into discrete categories that don't allow such combinations. They're kill based (difficulty, mode, enemy), medal-based (Firebird, plasma stick, multi-kills, headshots, sniper headshots, assists), time/completion/score based (Campaign mission, Firefight round, MP game).

I'm wondering if there are templates for combinations. Something like, "Complete ONI Sword Base in less than 30 minutes on Heroic or harder while killing 120 enemies"?

Or, "Complete a Campaign mission in 30 minutes or less while scoring 50,000 points."

Or, "Complete a Round of Score Attack in 10 minutes or less without dying."

Those are the kind of challenges I keep holding out for. But from the structure of the Challenges we've seen so far, I don't think they're possible.

GhaleonEB said:
Stuff I agree with

Yeah, but didn't they say the challenges were already hard-coded into the game but that there was a ton of them to choose from?

So even if it was possible, which I believe it is, wouldn't they have to be in the game already though?

GhaleonEB

CrazedArabMan said:
Yeah, but didn't they say the challenges were already hard-coded into the game but that there was a ton of them to choose from?

So even if it was possible, which I believe it is, wouldn't they have to be in the game already though?
As I understand it they are not set in stone, but the "templates", or combinations of parameters that comprise the challenge statements, are fixed. I'm guessing at this point we've seen the extent of their complexity.

But I'd like to be wrong. Once you get into combining completion parameters - like time/score/deaths - some great possibilities open up. Since we haven't seen those yet, I'm guessing they're not possible.

GhaleonEB said:
As I understand it they are not set in stone, but the "templates", or combinations of parameters that comprise the challenge statements, are fixed. I'm guessing at this point we've seen the extent of their complexity.

But I'd like to be wrong. Once you get into combining completion parameters - like time/score/deaths - some great possibilities open up. Since we haven't seen those yet, I'm guessing they're not possible.
I agree with you seriously. It would be awesome to have a curveball every once in awhile, but they haven't thrown us too crazy of one yet.

Wizman23

Banned
Another weekly shit challenge. At this point I think Bungie is just trolling us. When I first heard of challenges I immediately thought of the vidmaster achievements from Halo 3 and ODST and got excited thinking that we would get to do something like that each week.

GhaleonEB said:

Ah I see, well hopefully they haven't showed us most of the combinations, but I think you are right though that they have pretty much showed their limit with maybe a surprise or two here and there.

Wizman23 said:
Another weekly shit challenge. At this point I think Bungie is just trolling us. When I first heard of challenges I immediately thought of the vidmaster achievements from Halo 3 and ODST and got excited thinking that we would get to do something like that each week.

So did I. :/

zumphry

Banned
CrazedArabMan said:
So did I. :/

Same here. Though, didn't one update say that Luke has Vidmasters planned? If what Ghal's calculations showed are true (Bungie scaling up cR given out per month), I'm thinking they're holding off on Vidmasters that would have amounts of 16000+, until more people get into the later ranks like Hero through Inheritor.

At least, I hope they are. I want my damn sadistic challenges, Bungie. :(

Gui_PT said:
I just got the loveliest message ever
dH1if.jpg

Poor Marty, getting his name mixed up with Lou Dobbs' when making his gamertag. At least he was able to correctly remember what he looked like.

Gui_PT

Barrow Roll said:
Heheh, yeah that was pretty funny. Did we even play a game with that guy?

Yeah, he was on OUR team on that 1st assault game we played :lol

ZayneH said:
Poor Marty, getting his name mixed up with Lou Dobbs' when making his gamertag. At least he was able to correctly remember what he looked like.

You mean (Marty!=Lou Dobbs) ? =(

If you don't mind Multi-Team thats the place to go to get multi kills NOT SWAT. Get those random overkills+ and they count as a bunch of multi's.

The weekly can sometimes just be an incentive to play the game, getting there will net you way more credits than the final payout.

I'm going to attempt it at least.

Someone said earlier that they thought the player count (last 24 hours) was on the rise. I agree. Thanks MLG! It's all because of you!

Again: Rocket Race is not fun for people who want to play a game where they use a gun and their cunning to shoot things. Rocket race is fun for people who can't afford Mario Kart. Please give it its own playlist.

Edittown: I like the weekly. Should be a cool way to see how long it takes me to get that many multikills.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
The last one that low was November 18. Not unprecedented, we just haven't had one in a while.

In terms of relative difficulty, I think one game of Gruntpocalypse is easier than two triple kills in MP, though.

Yeah, I know it isn't but we're at the point where anything under 2k is pretty much not worth the effort anymore.

Bregmann Roche said:
Someone said earlier that they thought the player count (last 24 hours) was on the rise. I agree. Thanks MLG! It's all because of you!

Again: Rocket Race is not fun for people who want to play a game where they use a gun and their cunning to shoot things. Rocket race is fun for people who can't afford Mario Kart. Please give it its own playlist.

Edittown: I like the weekly. Should be a cool way to see how long it takes me to get that many multikills.

Yeah that was me, it was at 750k for 24 hours on sat and looking at it now it's just under 625k for Sunday.

Dunno what happened over the past two weeks, but I've stopped caring about challenges completely. I mean, for awhile I had an interest in doing them, completing as many as I could each day. Now, challenges are a pretty big "eh" to me.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Dunno what happened over the past two weeks, but I've stopped caring about challenges completely. I mean, for awhile I had an interest in doing them, completing as many as I could each day. Now, challenges are a pretty big "eh" to me.
To me it's a mix of wanting new stuff to play (ie, FF playlist refresh) and realizing I've done (most of) these challenges before. I do savor the occasional oddball when they happen, though.

xxjuicesxx said:
The weekly can sometimes just be an incentive to play the game, getting there will net you way more credits than the final payout.
So true. It's just a fun goal to aspire to.

Dax01 said:
Yep... me too... I've been migrating between BLOPS and Reach too much I think.

GhaleonEB said:
To me it's a mix of wanting new stuff to play (ie, FF playlist refresh) and realizing I've done (most of) these challenges before. I do savor the occasional oddball when they happen, though.
Here's to hoping that some truly unique challenges will start showing up soon (BOBing and Weaving 7777Cr - Kill 'x' of Gold Ranger-class Elites in Campaign this week). One of the biggest incentives for me was to get my armor looking the way I wanted. Besides a visor color, I'm all set and my desire to do repeat challenges has fallen immensely. Juices brought up an excellent point with the challenges being the impetus for playing the game, but this latest string has done nothing to enhance my desire to play.

Top Bottom