• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

The 10th anniversary of Halo is too strong an event not to try and bring something to market to monetize. Maybe it will just be maps or books or something. I've been skeptical of the remake news but between that and word that 343 is getting the Reach engine, I think it's certainly possible. It has a certain logic to it and if done right would do well. (I'm skeptical that it would be presented properly - thinking back on the mis-characterization of ODST by Microsoft's marketing - but we'll see.)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
The 10th anniversary of Halo is too strong an event not to try and bring something to market to monetize. Maybe it will just be maps or books or something. I've been skeptical of the remake news but between that and word that 343 is getting the Reach engine, I think it's certainly possible. It has a certain logic to it and if done right would do well. (I'm skeptical that it would be presented properly - thinking back on the mis-characterization of ODST by Microsoft's marketing - but we'll see.)

In direct regard to that, Frankie says; "2011 is the tenth anniversary of Halo, and we'll make sure the fanbase, the userbase, and the community is energized with cool new content and fiction. We'll kick off 2011 with the first of three novels from Greg Bear, which explores the forerunner universe, and there will be more information about the "contemporary" halo novels coming from Karen Traviss. And by contemporary we mean the events of 2552 and beyond."

And before he commented on that, he said exactly what I said in my previously linked post.

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:
And before he commented on that, he said exactly what I said in my previously linked post.

That doesn't mean anything.

Bungie said we wouldn't see MC on Reach. We see him twice, even though they're easter eggs.

We said it'd be awesome to be able to play in space, they said "no space combat, everything will take place on Reach"

Of course they're going to lie about things like that.

You think they'll just come out so early in the project and say they're making a CE remake? No.

Hell, we don't even know what Bungie Aerospace is and they've been working on that for a long time.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
In direct regard to that, Frankie says; "2011 is the tenth anniversary of Halo, and we'll make sure the fanbase, the userbase, and the community is energized with cool new content and fiction. We'll kick off 2011 with the first of three novels from Greg Bear, which explores the forerunner universe, and there will be more information about the "contemporary" halo novels coming from Karen Traviss. And by contemporary we mean the events of 2552 and beyond."

I like Frankie. I'm a fan of his writing and think he's a funny, sharp guy. He's also a pathological liar when it comes to describing unannounced stuff that he or his team is working on, and can make a semantic allusion that will mean one thing before and another after something is announced. I mean that as a neutral description: the man can dance around a question like nothing else, and if necessary will lie flat out to avoid spilling the beans. I think it's a requisite qualification for someone in his job, which he does well.

But to the quote:

we'll make sure the fanbase, the user base, and the community is energized with cool new content and fiction.​

How do you define the fanbase, the user base, and the community? What is "content and fiction"? In the rest of his answer he speaks to (announced) fiction only. You can interpret that as anything from books to retrospectives to videos to toys to Reach maps to anything, really.

What he's saying is, there is going to be Halo stuff of various sorts aimed at various components of the Halo fanbase (and user base and community...). I don't think anything he said is conclusive in one way or the other. It's his way of saying, stay tuned, we're cooking. I look foward to what else they're working on myself, as the books aren't for me.

LosDaddie

Banned
Yeah, I know I'm LTTP, but here's my thoughts after completing my solo Legendary run:

- It's great that you can skip some fights (by running past them), but you can fuck yourself out of some very useful ammo by doing so. Made the last mission extra tough for me.

- Bungie should've done a better job informing gamers that Charged PP + DMR Headshot = Easy Elite Kill and that shooting those floating bitches knocks down the purple overshields. I knew those things, but I could only imagine someone trying to play the campaign not knowing that and having a very tough time.

- Campaign needed another tank level.

- Jackals are still my most-hated enemy. Damn those shields.

- I liked how my Noble 6 had his custom armor in the campaign. I'm glad I waited 'til I had the robot arm to do my solo Legendary run. Looked cool in the cutscenes. :D

- Fantastic score by Marty.

- Really enjoyed the desolate mood that permeatued the whole campaign. Dead bodies laying everywhere. Buildings getting blown up. Simply great work by Bungie.

WEll that's all I can think of right now. I finished the campaign on Heroic at launch, but I kinda rushed through it. I took my time this time and really had a great, albeit frustrating at times, experience. My 2010 GotY for sure

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Alienshogun said:

You do realize it's his job to deny stuff like that, right? He's not going to just show up for an OXM interview and tell them everything 343i's working on. I have the same issue and in regards to games, he says "no new games to announce right now" (his exact words). He's openly talking about novels because those are what have been announced right now so he's free to talk about them.

ShinAmano

LosDaddie said:
- I liked how my Noble 6 had his custom armor in the campaign. I'm glad I waited 'til I had the robot arm to do my solo Legendary run. Looked cool in the cutscenes. :D
Yeah that is awesome.

I played Exodus when I hit Lieutenant and when the AI said something about welcome Lieutenant I thought that the would say your rank whatever it was throughout...I was shot down...but still think that would be cool.

WickedLaharl said:
i would play reach again if it were!

hopefully 343i realizes how beautiful JIP is and makes sure their halo game has it ;)
I hope they don't so I can see you come into Halo threads and tell the rest of us (again) why you won't play it.

Edit: Comment might be a little snippy, but oh well.

Falagard

GhaleonEB said:
I've been skeptical of the remake news but between that and word that 343 is getting the Reach engine, I think it's certainly possible.

I remember Frankie pretty much confirming on NeoGAF that 343 would have access to the Reach engine, is this what you're talking about or has something else been said that I've missed?

GhaleonEB

Falagard said:
I remember Frankie pretty much confirming on NeoGAF that 343 would have access to the Reach engine, is this what you're talking about or has something else been said that I've missed?
That's what I was alluding to. I thought his hint was pretty clear, and it dovetails nicely with rumors of 343 using the engine. But I haven't read anything other than the rumors of them using it since.

Gui_PT

I'm sure the DMR and most of the weapons on cod have the same fire rate.

Oh wait.

Come on, you need like 2 seconds to kill a guy. I don't think you can make that comparison fairly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
I like Frankie. I'm a fan of his writing and think he's a funny, sharp guy. He's also a pathological liar when it comes to describing unannounced stuff that he or his team is working on, and can make a semantic allusion that will mean one thing before and another after something is announced. I mean that as a neutral description: the man can dance around a question like nothing else, and if necessary will lie flat out to avoid spilling the beans. I think it's a requisite qualification for someone in his job, which he does well.

But to the quote:

we'll make sure the fanbase, the user base, and the community is energized with cool new content and fiction.​

How do you define the fanbase, the user base, and the community? What is "content and fiction"? In the rest of his answer he speaks to (announced) fiction only. You can interpret that as anything from books to retrospectives to videos to toys to Reach maps to anything, really.

What he's saying is, there is going to be Halo stuff of various sorts aimed at various components of the Halo fanbase (and user base and community...). I don't think anything he said is conclusive in one way or the other. It's his way of saying, stay tuned, we're cooking. I look foward to what else they're working on myself, as the books aren't for me.

I realize he could be lying, but he said specifically no game or addon is being worked on for 2011, or being announced up through 2011, so I'm not exactly sure what you're hoping for, aside from the fact he might be lying.

Domino Theory said:
You do realize it's his job to deny stuff like that, right? He's not going to just show up for an OXM interview and tell them everything 343i's working on. I have the same issue and in regards to games, he says "no new games to announce right now" (his exact words). He's openly talking about novels because those are what have been announced right now so he's free to talk about them.

Yes, but by following this logic one would then assume that everything they deny is real, and everything they confirm is suspect.

I'm saying by him denying anything for 2011, that gives more support to believing nothing is coming out than to the speculators.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
I realize he could be lying, but he said specifically no game or addon is being worked on for 2011, or being announced up through 2011, so I'm not exactly sure what you're hoping for, aside from the fact he might be lying.
I'm not hoping for anything. Just saying I don't take those statements as conclusive based on the history, nothing more.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
memecomplex said:
Hearing the complaints about bloom... it's funny that no one is bothered by that in games like COD.

Then again, those games have always had a function like that across all franchises the realistic shooter genre has had bloom. No one moves like they do in those games like they do in Halo either, They're completely seperate.

Halo never had bloom, they changed it for this game and it is for the worse. I will be honestly surprised if the update doesn't have a function to reduce the bloom or get rid of it entirely if not remove it by default.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
LAUGHTREY said:
Then again, those games have always had a function like that across all franchises the realistic shooter genre has had bloom. No one moves like they do in those games like they do in Halo either, They're completely seperate.

Halo never had bloom, they changed it for this game and it is for the worse. I will be honestly surprised if the update doesn't have a function to reduce the bloom or get rid of it entirely if not remove it by default.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, let's not go crazy here.

I know what you mean though. :D

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
memecomplex said:
Hearing the complaints about bloom... it's funny that no one is bothered by that in games like COD.

a) Aiming Down the Sights
b) Steady Aim perk completely removes bloom from COD
c) Games like COD had bloom in the beginning, Halo never did and now does (working backwards)

Grimm Fandango said:
What about the AR in CE?
I think that there's nothing wrong with having certain strategies apply to each individual weapon. Bloom doesn't have to be implemented across the board, but you can have the AR bloom so that the players that can properly burst fire an otherwise easy to use weapon would be rewarded. Just like players have to learn when to overcharge with the PP and when to just pulse it.

Hey You

So FF versus is gone from the Grab Bag hopper.

Personally I hope this time its a Maption Sack type playlist with Community maps just in time for the holidays, but it will probably be grifball :/.

Kuroyume

Banned
I bet if people could launch a bunch of killer attack dogs or call on a artillery strike then bloom wouldn't be as big a problem.

I thought FF Versus was going to be a game mode where Spartans had to kill each other while also killing the AI. I wad disappointed by what I ended up playing.

Didn't Bungie say Bloom was always there for most weapons? They just used static cross hairs.

I hope after Christmas we'll start seeing double XP weekend hoppers....

GhaleonEB

Grimm Fandango said:
What about the AR in CE?
Every Halo game has had the blooming effect, Reach is just the first game to show it and build that into a core game mechanic. The pistol and other weapons back in Halo 1 had bloom as well, and have throughout the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHwHfgT9yA

(Skip to 1:05 to see the effect of pistol bloom in Halo 1 - there was a lot of it.)

LAUGHTREY said:
Actually, he's correct. This can be easily tested in the games, as this video shows. I did similar tests in Halo 3 after the Reach Beta.

MrBig

Major Williams said:
Didn't Bungie say Bloom was always there for most weapons? They just used static cross hairs.

I hope after Christmas we'll start seeing double XP weekend hoppers....
I don't know if bungie ever said it was always there, but it has been. I used to mod Halo PC; there were values for beginning spread and increase rate iirc.

CozMick

Banned
I just picked up a 360 (my 7th, 1st slim) and a copy of this game, should I just go ahead and buy the Noble map pack?

I haven't played Reach since the beta, but played the shit out of Halo 3.

Is the map pack good?

Thanks

MrBig

CozMick said:
I just picked up a 360 (my 7th, 1st slim) and a copy of this game, should I just go ahead and buy the Noble map pack?

I haven't played Reach since the beta, but played the shit out of Halo 3.

Is the map pack good?

Thanks
Yes, they are very much worth it in terms of the maps themselves. You'll hardly run into them outside of the specific DLC playlist though. If you're not going to stay with the game don't bother.

Kuroyume

Banned
They're good... Well kind of.

Anchor 9 was fun the few times I played but no one ever picks it so it's hard to make a final judgement. I'm not a big fan of Tempest's look but it's a fun map to play on. It's nothing like Valhalla other than the look. Breakpoint is ruined by the Banshees and Invasion. Not going to give them a good endorsement because you only play really play 2 maps and one of them has serious gameplay issues.

Also worth mentioning is that they are easily the best looking maps in the game. The outside section of Anchor 9 is ridiculous.

So has there been any hardcore fan or group of fans that took things to the Ascendant Justice level and began to decrypt some of the layers of the story in Reach yet?

I'm curious what Halsey found, what the research facility actually originally was, and if there are any hidden stories that are off the beaten path.

GhaleonEB said:
Every Halo game has had the blooming effect, Reach is just the first game to show it and build that into a core game mechanic. The pistol and other weapons back in Halo 1 had bloom as well, and have throughout the series.

(Skip to 1:05 to see the effect of pistol bloom in Halo 1 - there was a lot of it.)

Actually, he's correct. This can be easily tested in the games, as this video shows. I did similar tests in Halo 3 after the Reach Beta.

I would love to point out though that Halo 1 Pistol bloom ONLY existed if you held down the trigger. Who the hell holds down the trigger when firing a pistol!?? :lol

Anyone who would have used the pistol would have known what they were doing, so I can garuntee that while bloom existed in Halo 1, it would have effected just about no one.

Its the same case with Sniper bloom in Halo 2, it would only effect anyone who held down the trigger on the Sniper - if anyone ever used a Sniper like a AR then... :lol

Halo 3 had bullet spread, which was a lot different from bloom. Anyone saying bloom has always been a part of the game and Reach is just finally giving us a visual indicator is basically using a loophole. Sure bloom has always existed, but in a form that would have effected NO one. I still find it bad that Bungie were the first guys to say that - considering its just a technicality.

The AR having bloom is just kind of expected, I mean it is an assualt rifle. Bloom on precision weapons is pretty much new to Halo though. You kind of expect bloom on something like a Ar and so even back on Halo 1 im not suprised.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Major Williams said:
So has there been any hardcore fan or group of fans that took things to the Ascendant Justice level and began to decrypt some of the layers of the story in Reach yet?

I'm curious what Halsey found, what the research facility actually originally was, and if there are any hidden stories that are off the beaten path.

I don't think there's much more to the Halsey stuff than what what is directly presented to the player in the Campaign. The Xenobiology research lab isn't referenced in any Halo fiction or other material so it's difficult to connect the dots when there's a single point.

There's certainly more to the story and the research as the Breakpoint map shows us there was more going than was initially revealed but we have little else to go on.

Although, there is a story to be found off the beaten path and it might just take you down the rabbit hole.

Ramirez

GhaleonEB said:

SMH, I honestly cannot believe that some of you STILL think the "bloom" from past games is the same as found in Reach, are you guys really that gullible?

bloom is the visualization of bullet spread. every assault weapon in h3 had it, spiker, needler, ar and so on. the br and sniper though did not, it was the same couple bullet spread patterns everytime you shot and the rate of fire was locked to something that didn't make it larger no matter how fast you pulled the trigger so pacing of shots in h2 and h3 meant nothing...and it was still more beneficial to spray most of the automatics in h3 than to short burst them also (go watch rapid fire controller youtube video if you don't believe..the spread wasn't that exaggerated. (although the halo 1 AR looks like it might have been - never played it personally)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
xxjuicesxx said:
bloom is the visualization of bullet spread. every assault weapon in h3 had it, spiker, needler, ar and so on. the br and sniper though did not, it was the same couple bullet spread patterns everytime you shot and the rate of fire was locked to something that didn't make it larger no matter how fast you pulled the trigger so pacing of shots in h2 and h3 meant nothing...and it was still more beneficial to spray most of the automatics in h3 than to short burst them also (go watch rapid fire controller youtube video if you don't believe..the spread wasn't that exaggerated. (although the halo 1 AR looks like it might have been - never played it personally)

The Halo 3 BR didn't have bullet spread? Ah, I see the distinction you are making.

MrBig

No, it's not the exactly the same thing, but it has always been there. It's just more pronounced in reach.
See this from the pistol (bottom right; spread)
spread.jpg

It could deviate to a degree anywhere within that range. How it works now is it has a set of ranges that increase with each shot fired with a visual to show that the range is increasing. Each time you fire, the max deviation range increases, but it is basically the same thing.

Dani said:
The Halo 3 BR didn't have bullet spread? Ah, I see the distinction you are making.

It didn't have the same type I guess...don't be that guy.

Basically you can really say

Bloom didn't exist in Halo before Reach*

*some bullshit technicalities apply.

Personally, I don't mind bloom as a concept, since it would help keep weapons relegated to their role in the sandbox.

For example, without Bloom the DMR would have no disadvantage at short range to the pistol or the AR, and I don't think that's what Bungie wants for the gun.

But I think Bungie's implementation needs tweaking so that spammers are less likely to get lucky.

I'm not exactly sure how to go about it, but maybe if the bloom both expanded wider after every shot and contracted faster?

If the bloom expands wider after every shot, that really hurts people that just hammer the trigger, cause they'd go so inaccurate so quick. But by contracting faster after that initial shot, it would allow those who time their shots to let off the next shot quicker.

Something like that.

Love this game BTW. :D

Ramirez said:
That's some competitive spirit you have. :lol

If I wanted to be competitive in that sense I would join the MLG playlist.

Even if I was competitive the achievement would still be dumb for multiple reasons... Maybe someone from the other team exits out? Or they want to grief you by not giving you the chance to get the achievement and they exit out.

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
I would love to point out though that Halo 1 Pistol bloom ONLY existed if you held down the trigger. Who the hell holds down the trigger when firing a pistol!?? :lol

Anyone who would have used the pistol would have known what they were doing, so I can garuntee that while bloom existed in Halo 1, it would have effected just about no one.

Its the same case with Sniper bloom in Halo 2, it would only effect anyone who held down the trigger on the Sniper - if anyone ever used a Sniper like a AR then... :lol

Halo 3 had bullet spread, which was a lot different from bloom. Anyone saying bloom has always been a part of the game and Reach is just finally giving us a visual indicator is basically using a loophole. Sure bloom has always existed, but in a form that would have effected NO one. I still find it bad that Bungie were the first guys to say that - considering its just a technicality.

The AR having bloom is just kind of expected, I mean it is an assualt rifle. Bloom on precision weapons is pretty much new to Halo though. You kind of expect bloom on something like a Ar and so even back on Halo 1 im not suprised.
I'm thinking you skipped this sentence that I wrote. I'll bold the important part for you:

Every Halo game has had the blooming effect, Reach is just the first game to show it and build that into a core game mechanic.​

I didn't say bloom was the same in past games, just that it was there. Which is true. I then said that Reach built upon the concept into a core game mechanic. Which is also true. Specifically by expanding - or "unlocking" - the range of rate of fire and displaying the impact to the player.

I don't think we disagree with one another. :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
UltimaPooh said:
If I wanted to be competitive in that sense I would join the MLG playlist.

Even if I was competitive the achievement would still be dumb for multiple reasons... Maybe someone from the other team exits out? Or they want to grief you by not giving you the chance to get the achievement and they exit out.

Have you never had a close match go down to the wire, lose, and want to play with the same opposite team again? That is like the best of Halo really, more so if you are in a team with your buddies and you do your best. Nothing beats a good close game with both teams going all out, win or lose.

And sorry Juices, I wasn't trying to be that guy. When I was initially reading your post, the statement stood out because you used a familiar term to describe a slightly different aspect. It's all good, dude.

Top Bottom