• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

MrBig said:
No, it's not the exactly the same thing, but it has always been there. It's just more pronounced in reach.
See this from the pistol (bottom right; spread)
spread.jpg

It could deviate to a degree anywhere within that range. How it works now is it has a set of ranges that increase with each shot fired with a visual to show that the range is increasing. Each time you fire, the max deviation range increases, but it is basically the same thing.

Seeing that brings back some good memories.

Kapura

Banned
First game of halo in a looooong time, playing on a 28' SDTV instead of at 720p like i normally do, playing on Breakpoint for the first time ever, I go 23-3. Am I a wizard?

The messier combat that bloom creates make Halo a little bit more realistic and I quite like it. I grew up on twitch shooters like Quake and while I really enjoyed that too, I think it's time has passed. Halo is essentially a Spartan simulator, so I'd like to feel how it's like to be a Spartan and deal with "real" world forces like recoil (bloom), gravity, etc. The more realistic the simulation the better. Right now with Reach though it's still just baby steps. Bloom feels more like a concession; a nod to the realistic shooter genre... Although like Ghaleon said it's become a core mechanic, it doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the no-accuracy penalty to moving/jumping movement system.

So it's neither here nor there and I can understand why people hate it so much in Reach.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm thinking you skipped this sentence that I wrote. I'll bold the important part for you:

Every Halo game has had the blooming effect, Reach is just the first game to show it and build that into a core game mechanic.​

I didn't say bloom was the same in past games, just that it was there. Which is true. I then said that Reach built upon the concept into a core game mechanic. Which is also true. Specifically by expanding - or "unlocking" - the range of rate of fire and displaying the impact to the player.

I don't think we disagree with one another. :p

Oh no we dont disagree - and maybe my post was a bit strong, especially considering that I agree with the bolded. I just had a bit of a knee jerk reaction to your post, especially because hate hearing the argument that bloom has always existed. When it comes down to it thats such a technicality. I know you were talking more on the Ar side of things, but grrr I still cant get over the fact Bungie literally rode the back of a technicality to pass bloom off as something thats always been there in one of the vidocs.

Apologies for coming off a bit strong, I went in a bit of a tangeant with my post and probably should have mentioned that. :lol

Im probably beating a dead horse at this point, but bloom is probably the only thing in Reach that still irritates me, its not that its random - I just think it makes close range battles a lot less fun than they used to be.

Okay, i did a little experiment today, I bought a VGA adapter (4 bucks on amazon) for my 360. I thought I'd been having some issues with response time on my LCD TV and I thought it might help.

Anecdotally, HELL yes it helped. the difference is like night and day. I won a DMR battle from 2 shots down for first time in months (outside of MLG or DLC, where I haven't been trueskilled) yet. Woo that part feels FUCKING GREAT. I still got donged on, but I haven't played in over a week from my fallout addiction, so I expected to get rocked, but I held in there :).

Too bad the game looks like hot ass, and won't seem to play in widescreen. I'm not sure if that's a TV setting or an xbox thing at this point. So question about widescreen, does the FOV change if you set to be in 4:3? Also, anyone have any setting tips for using VGA on the xbox?

I'm happy :). I still suck, but I finally feel like my cursor isn't moving through sludge.

Has anyone seen the Tom Chick thread? The majority of the people there are lambasting his Reach inclusion, including non-HaloGAF. I think the world's about to end, probably the first time I've seen Halo mentioned in a non-dedicated thread where people didn't just troll the shit out of it :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thagomizer said:
Has anyone seen the Tom Chick thread? The majority of the people there are lambasting his Reach inclusion, including non-HaloGAF. I think the world's about to end, probably the first time I've seen Halo mentioned in a non-dedicated thread where people didn't just troll the shit out of it :lol

It might be because he didn't bother to write why he thought it was over rated and just decided to only write, "Halo 3 ODST 1.1" I've never heard of the guy until today but now I know not to take him seriously.

Games Journalism...serious business? lol

electric...have you messed with the resolution settings in the dashboard? Depending on your TV, it shouldn't look like ass.

Tashi0106 said:
It might be because he didn't bother to write why he thought it was over rated and just decided to only write, "Halo 3 ODST 1.1" I've never heard of the guy until today but now I know not to take him seriously.

electric...have you messed with the resolution settings in the dashboard? Depending on your TV, it shouldn't look like ass.

I'm aware of that, it's just that I'm so used to Halo basically getting a free-to-troll pass that it surprised me.

Tashi0106 said:
It \might be because he didn't bother to write why he thought it was over rated and just decided to only write, "Halo 3 ODST 1.1" I've never heard of the guy until today but now I know not to take him seriously.

Tom Chick is kind of a major "NEW GAMES JOURNALISM" dude, and he's also generally an aggressive contrarian. I actually enjoy his writing generally, if only for how much it pisses people off. The thing is, he normally drops 8000 words on some inconsequential shit, which is part of the fun. The overrated games list pretty much concentrates his contrarianism without really letting any of his writing shine through.

I tried a few resolutions on the dash board, but couldn't find one I liked, I'll have to try a few in reach to see if one looks better. I can mostly live with the bad visuals, but the widescreen thing sucks, though I noticed if I set my xbox to widescreen, it is different, but still 4:3 on the TV. This may get around the limited FOV.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thagomizer said:
I'm aware of that, it's just that I'm so used to Halo basically getting a free-to-troll pass that it surprised me.

No, I agree. There are a lot of Halo haters on GAF.

Mikey Jr.

Sorry if this has been answered, but just started Reach after a month hiatus.

I keep getting fucking prompts (2 of them) everytime I start the game about the map pack. I say no thanks, but when I restart the game, it pops up again.

Does this shit stop eventually?

Dani said:
I don't think there's much more to the Halsey stuff than what what is directly presented to the player in the Campaign. The Xenobiology research lab isn't referenced in any Halo fiction or other material so it's difficult to connect the dots when there's a single point.

There's certainly more to the story and the research as the Breakpoint map shows us there was more going than was initially revealed but we have little else to go on.

Although, there is a story to be found off the beaten path and it might just take you down the rabbit hole.
Yo, Dani, when are you going to continue with that? I enjoyed reading it.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:
Every Halo game has had the blooming effect, Reach is just the first game to show it and build that into a core game mechanic. The pistol and other weapons back in Halo 1 had bloom as well, and have throughout the series.

Yeah, I miss the bloom effect from the Sniper from past Halos.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dax01 said:
Yo, Dani, when are you going to continue with that? I enjoyed reading it.

Second part has been tied up with me being busy, will push it through as soon as possible, probably in the new year and the final part should follow much more quickly (as it's already mostly scripted out).

Mikey Jr. said:
Sorry if this has been answered, but just started Reach after a month hiatus.

I keep getting fucking prompts (2 of them) everytime I start the game about the map pack. I say no thanks, but when I restart the game, it pops up again.

Does this shit stop eventually?

Me too, everytime I go to play MP, boom, you should DL the maps, and I always yell at my screen to leave me alone, I'll get them eventually, but they aren't a big priority at the moment.

Alienshogun said:
Fixed. :D

Two for finals to go, and it's all Halo, all the time for 3 weeks. :D

My last one is tomorrow, and all it is is to present a 3d Model of our choice that we've been working on for the last few weeks. Mine's gonna blow everyone's out of the water. :D

Then I get to go home to a new internet connection and not get kicked off of XBL every time I go to play a game of Reach. :D

Kuroyume said:
Why would you leave the vehicles on Breakpoint Stockpile? I just don't understand that.

Stockpile on Sword Base also has unfair base placements. The base almost beneath the glass office (break room?) has a much better defensive position than the other base.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
GhaleonEB said:
Every Halo game has had the blooming effect, Reach is just the first game to show it and build that into a core game mechanic. The pistol and other weapons back in Halo 1 had bloom as well, and have throughout the series.
It was only if you held it down, and anyone who didn't have a mental deficiency knew that. Same with AR and every other gun, you could shoot as fast as the automatic fire but it would be perfectly accurate. There was no spread in 2 except on SMG.

Bloom was never there in the way it's there in Reach, sorry.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GhaleonEB said:
Every Halo game has had the blooming effect, Reach is just the first game to show it and build that into a core game mechanic.​
It's a shitty core game mechanic, fucking Shadowrun guy.

Swat on Sword Base is so fucking bad. Why in gods name does anybody vote for it? Do people like camping? Is that what's cool with the kids these days? Ugh.

I'm probably gonna be online all night if anyone is actually awake.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Barrow Roll said:
Swat on Sword Base is so fucking bad. Why in gods name does anybody vote for it? Do people like camping? Is that what's cool with the kids these days? Ugh.

I'm probably gonna be online all night if anyone is actually awake.
I just got Silvered, not sure when I'll be Gold again but I expect sooner rather then later. So if you see me online and throw me an inv, just know that's why I can't join you.

Plywood said:
I just got Silvered, not sure when I'll be Gold again but I expect sooner rather then later. So if you see me online and throw me an inv, just know that's why I can't join you.
Fo sho. I'll just assume you can't join if you're playing Dragon Age.

Zennshi

Neo Member
Daily Challenges:

More than a Handful - 1250cR
Kill 125 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Pass the Rock - 2500cR
Earn 20 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Weapon Swap - 1000cR
Earn 10 sprees in a Firefight Matchmaking game on Heroic or harder.

Killing Spree - 1500cR
Earn a Killing Spree in multiplayer Matchmaking.

feel

haha, I was gonna post a gif of you spitting a spoon of cinnamon after reading that, but couldn't find the original gif or vid in the 30secs that I allowed myself to look for it. But there's always tomorrow.

Gui_PT

Letters said:
haha, I was gonna post a gif of you spitting a spoon of cinnamon after reading that, but couldn't find the original gif or vid in the 30secs that I allowed myself to look for it. But there's always tomorrow.

I knew I shouldn't have told people that was me in the gif =(

Kuroyume

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
Stockpile on Sword Base also has unfair base placements. The base almost beneath the glass office (break room?) has a much better defensive position than the other base.

That's not really much of a problem. Bottom base on Powerhouse also has an advantage I guess.

Stockpile with vehicles is just plain stupid though when you consider people just fly or drive around carpet bombing shit.

Zennshi said:
Daily Challenges:

More than a Handful - 1250cR
Kill 125 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Pass the Rock - 2500cR
Earn 20 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Weapon Swap - 1000cR
Earn 10 sprees in a Firefight Matchmaking game on Heroic or harder.

Killing Spree - 1500cR
Earn a Killing Spree in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Some shitty stuff this week in terms of giving out some points. I'll pass on the Firefight.

I don't understand the constant crying about assists. I get like an average of 5 per game in Multi Team when it's not Rocket Race. Easy cR.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
CrazedArabMan said:
My last one is tomorrow, and all it is is to present a 3d Model of our choice that we've been working on for the last few weeks. Mine's gonna blow everyone's out of the water. :D

Then I get to go home to a new internet connection and not get kicked off of XBL every time I go to play a game of Reach. :D

Yeah, I had 18 credit hours this semester (and will again next semester) and have/had a final in every class.

6 tests (2 of which are cumulative) in one week sucks major ass.

Oh well, it will make my Halo break that much sweeter.

Holy cow at the turn in this thread, calm down fellas!

Gui_PT said:
I knew I shouldn't have told people that was me in the gif =(

Haha, I didn't know that was you, now I realize it, that Gif is all over the interwebz, you're famous!

Insaniac

the daily challenges have been soooo boring that I have no desire to even do the easy ones. C'mon bungie I want something a little more imaginative.

Gui_PT

Kuroyume said:
I don't understand the constant crying about assists. I get like an average of 5 per game in Multi Team when it's not Rocket Race. Easy cR.

Oh shut up. You hate everything.

Assists don't work the way they should, and if you want to get them, you have to play in a completely different way than usual.

kylej

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Yeah, I miss the bloom effect from the Sniper from past Halos.

Snipe needs bloom, dude. How else are we going to stop kids from pulling off all those cheap quickscopes and no-scopes? The AR on the otherhand, that bitch needs some major beefing up!

I want to go to the Bungie studios, play all the lead MP designers and get perfections all afternoon.

Plywood said:
It's a shitty core game mechanic, fucking Shadowrun guy.

I'm really not too bent because of bloom. I'm just not really clear on what it adds to the game.

Example: Team Slayer on Powerhouse. My teammate and I are up high the blues have a guy going for rockets. We alternate getting timed DMR shots on him but he's going to get to cover before either of us can get a headshot. What do I do? I hammer on the trigger and the bloom gods decide that I headshot him.

We proceed to get the rockets and get a few double kills. Did I feel great about this? No. I felt cheap, but I did what the game wanted me to do in that situation so yay for me I guess. Sad face.

krakov

Kuroyume said:
Stockpile with vehicles is just plain stupid though when you consider people just fly or drive around carpet bombing shit.

Vehicles that can carry flags are certainly fine in stockpile.

Bregmann Roche said:
I'm really not too bent because of bloom. I'm just not really clear on what it adds to the game.

Example: Team Slayer on Powerhouse. My teammate and I are up high the blues have a guy going for rockets. We alternate getting timed DMR shots on him but he's going to get to cover before either of us can get a headshot. What do I do? I hammer on the trigger and the bloom gods decide that I headshot him.

We proceed to get the rockets and get a few double kills. Did I feel great about this? No. I felt cheap, but I did what the game wanted me to do in that situation so yay for me I guess. Sad face.

In terms of additions to the game, it allows weapons that can work well over a wide variety of ranges without being too strong at any one range.

Is that worth what it detracts from the game to you though? I dunno, but I'd be a sad panda without the Reach pistol, that's for sure.

Also, I thought that there wasn't any spread on the sniper rifle, and that bloom was just a visual indication of the ROF? I dunno, I'll test it on my lunch break.

Arnie

LAUGHTREY said:
whatever they did, its stupid and they shouldnt have done it.
Blunt but accurate. Hope 343 revert back to Halos core gameplay, rather than Reach's new version.

Oh and I don't mind those challenges, would maybe like a few more credits for the assist one. God I'd much rather have these than some Campaign or Firefight ones.

electricpirate said:
In terms of additions to the game, it allows weapons that can work well over a wide variety of ranges without being too strong at any one range.

Is that worth what it detracts from the game to you though? I dunno, but I'd be a sad panda without the Reach pistol, that's for sure.

Also, I thought that there wasn't any spread on the sniper rifle, and that bloom was just a visual indication of the ROF? I dunno, I'll test it on my lunch break.

As much as there was a huge BR/ AR divide on here, I never actually thought that weapons needed to be forced into roles. It wasnt like Halo 3 played badly because of the fact the BR was dominant over a variety of ranges.

I guess for all the people who wanted to see more of the Halo sandbox come out bloom is a saviour - but im still dead set against it. The damage it does to combat is NOT worth its implimentation, having to switch between a Pistol or DMR depending on range just doesnt add to the game for me, im not so sure why thats considered something that adds to the game.

Im just bitter because bloom is severly affecting my fun of the MLG playlist, I just dont find the core gunplay fun because of it. So while everything else feels good such as movement, I find myself still feeling like the gunplay is lacking, I basically start games of MLG and lose interest within the first few minuites.

Arnie said:
Blunt but accurate. Hope 343 revert back to Halos core gameplay, rather than Reach's new version.

Oh and I don't mind those challenges, would maybe like a few more credits for the assist one. God I'd much rather have these than some Campaign or Firefight ones.
Boo! The Campaign is the best part about this game.

But the repetitive challenges are getting old, and the game hasn't been out that long. I sure hope they have some better ones waiting in the wings.

Top Bottom